RadioShack Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 17, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dean Rogers

Pros
  • You made good money when a new cell phone came out (in 172 reviews)

• The employee discount is good as well especially for the employee cell phone plan (in 137 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management could not come up with a strong enough strategy to really break in to the new world of tech that we live in (in 246 reviews)

• Had to force cell phones on people, and that's not why they were coming into the store (in 156 reviews)

1. "Not a good experience"

I worked at RadioShack part-time

Pros

The customers who came in where usually nice and just wanted help to find some parts to complete small projects. If you are looking for a quick summer job its o.k.

Cons

The management wasn't good. In my first month there I had to reset my store four times because the district and the the higher up's where not coordinated. Also the pay is very bad, I mean very bad. I was told before I start I would make about twelve dollars an hour and be full time. Well surprise it was more like 8.95 an hour. The final breaking point was scheduling was not good. Along with the bad pay, you couldn't get many hours. It was a constant struggle to get at least 30 hour. I once heard a manager bragging that no one in his store works over 20 hours. Well I got out of there soon as I could which didn't take long.

2. "Director Merchandising"

I worked at RadioShack full-time

Pros

Opportunity to multi task due to lack of support

Cons

All department short staffed to the point of working almost 24/7

3. "Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Not many.
    If I had to give a pro...I guess the employee discount

That's it. Yes. Really. That's it. Yes. That's it

Cons

Where do I begin...
    1) too many bosses. As a store manager my bosses are as follows: Market manager, Regional Director, Area Director, Mobility Market Manager, Mobility Regional Director.
    This is not good, too many chiefs not enough Indians.

2) As a radio shack store manager I am also a Sprint store manager. I am held accountable for the sales of Sprint their inventory and all aspects of Running a sprint store AND running a Radio Shack. My pay did not increase but my responsibility quadrupled.
    How about they pay us for being a Sprint store manager and a radio shack store manager

3) Fear.
    The higher ups run their regions with fear. If you do not hit all 19 metrics they make you feel like your job is on the line. The usual metrics are: email collection, battery percentage, incredible headphones, deal of the day, sprint new line activations, credit checks... list goes on. God forbid you miss one metric you will spend the next 3 weeks on hourly conference calls.

4) Pay.
    As a radio shack/sprint store manager the pay is embarrassing. The amount of work is not worth the pay. They give you literally busy work. Corp comes up with the most useless/pointless busy work. They do not understand that the busy work they give us takes away from being able to help customers... to be salesmen.

5)Stock
    Who ever runs the warehouse and distributes product to stores needs to be fired. High volume stores get no product and all the slow volume stores get all the product.

6) Moral
    Corporate expects the world from us yet treat us like animals. Regular employees get paid 1$ over minimum wage. They are expected to hit a tremendous amount of metrics and as a store manager we are expected to document when our employees do not hit their metrics then fire them.

Advice to Management

Here is my honest advice... fire all regional directors. Go back to just and area director. Too many bosses.

If you decide to keep them... TRAIN THEM. TRAIN THEM. TRAIN THEM.

These people you put in place to oversee 40 plus stores where store managers a few months ago. They have no idea what they are doing. It's disturbing.

MY ADVICE TO SOMEONE LOOKING TO APPLY TO RADIO SHACK... RUN!

"Asst. Retail Store manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager in Pompano Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager in Pompano Beach, FL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At one time, WAS a good place to work

Cons

Filed for bankruptcy due to inability to change back to the late 90's when the company was making money.

Advice to Management

DON'T GET ME STARTED....Suffice to say that if I had know then, what I know now...I WOULD NEVER HAVE ACCEPT THE POSITION.

6. "Sales"

I worked at RadioShack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of free time since no one shops there.

Cons

Always had stock issues. People ready to buy product we didn't have.

"Don't waste your time."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One Pro... Not enough hours or pay for the responsibilities forced upon you... flexible schedule.

Cons

No teamwork from any management on up.. threaten to fire.. and lastly, no appreciation for any extra work put in..

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees so poorly.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No pros unless you like unpaid hours, unattainable sales quotas, working all day alone, and being expected to travel across county lines to cover shifts for $7.25/hr

Cons

See the pros, this company was horrible, and only the hopeless and worst of the bunch stuck around post bankruptcy.

Advice to Management

Stand up to district management about how they treat managers who in turn treat employees like trash.

"The Shack shouldnt have come back"

Pros

Its easy to start working here, the higher ups dont look at you specifically when you start. Unless you do something majorly bad, or dont sell anything, youll be fine.

Cons

Where do i start!? The place is crummy and depressing, performance is based on "selling up". Essentially you have to swindle people into buying trash products to increase your dollar per ticket amount. If you dont have a minimum of 20$ at the end of each period, they start complaining and calling every store on a conference where some dimwits who think they know everything about anything. They make it a point to sell alkaline batteries every day, and if we dont, they call up your store and complain, and then they make you do commitements that you have to predict how many people are going to buy packs and sell that many. If you are lower than 20dpt they say youre performing bad because people dont want to spend more than 20 dollars when they come in to pick up a button cell battery. You can sell 2000 dollars in 1 day but if you have less than 20dpt for that day they will say youre doing poorly.

Advice to Management

Dont force us to sell your rubbish products that nobody wants to buy. Get an inventory that actually sells. Stop with the dpt slaughter. Let us sit down instead of forcing us to stand for 8 hours a day

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Melbourne, FL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will get a paycheck... and occasionally, you may be able to help customers out with fun projects they are making.

Cons

I worked here before they were bought by General wireless, and stayed for over a year after that transition. The commission rates used to be high, then they went lower... until General wireless took over and we ended up at 1% commission on store brand merchandise only, and since Sprint moved in and took over the phone sales, I made less than 40$ commission a month. The management really did not care and it showed, we did not have enough employees and they kept asking us to sell more and more stuff. When General Wireless came in, we thought that it might get better, but nothing really changed. I had so much work to do, as my manager didn't do his job, so I pretty much had to do everything for him... When this grew too stressful, I started speaking to him tactfully. When this did not work, I pleaded for help, and surprisingly, he was rather nasty to me. I brought this up to upper management, and all they did was tell me that while they knew about the problem, they didn't know who in the store was covering for him. The upper manager said that he should give me a promotion, but instead he is going to wait to catch my boss slipping before he actually did anything about it. Over 6 months later... I had all I could take, and got another job.This is a horrible company to work for, and they will not care about you. They treat management poorly, and I am ashamed to say that I witnessed my manager being berated several times by the district manager in an extremely unprofessional manner. Do not work for this company if you value your well-being. You'll be much better off working anywhere else. Don't even get me started on the products because they are cheaply made and are priced several times over what they should be. You can get this stuff online for $2 so no one is going to pay $20 for the same exact cable. That's why the profits are going down the tube, RadioShack is focusing on the wrong products and they expect you to sell them and they will cut your hours when you can't.

Advice to Management

Remember that your sales associates, while on the lowest pay scale, are the face of your brand. If you treat your employees poorly, this will present itself to the customers. You are selling cheaply made products that break frequent that you price at several times their worth. People have stopped coming in because they can get the same exact $20 cable for $2 online. I have had so many customers tell me that the focus of RadioShack needs to go back to what it originally was, a do-it-yourself store where you can buy any parts or components you need for your electronic demands. This will be profitable. The only people who are going to buy your overpriced cables are going to be old people who have no idea what the internet is.

"Absolute worst company"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is nothing good about working for this company. This used to be a good company now its just getting shredded and its all from the top. Complete disregard for store teams and their wellbeing.

Cons

They change consistently. Holidays were a joke changing weekly hours mid schedule several times a day many days throughout the holiday. They say they value family but that was clearly a blatent lie.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and clean it up
     Your about to start losing talent. First you pillage paychecks multiple times then you treat us all like cyborgs. Seriously!

Showing 623 of 2,535 reviews