RadioShack Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Dean Rogers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Don't go there! Well, actually you can't, they all closed xD"

I worked at RadioShack full-time

Pros

Not a single thing at all

Cons

Everything sucked about this job

2. "A downward spiral joke"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fat checks when you're single and no responsibilities
    Cool and laid back regional
    They finally almost went out of business after all the lies

Cons

Micro-management
    Management hell bent on trying to get you fired
    Management with huge ego/petty attitude
    Management who cannot take criticism
    Manager hourly pay and bonuses were a joke
    No communication from corporate
    Couldn't even notify us of our last day
    Basically disposed of us by laying us off

Advice to Management

Just hand the business over back to legacy RadioShack. Stop being a trust fund business, because seriously, you're only going to cause more jobs to be lost.

3. "Awful"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Ledgewood, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Ledgewood, NJ

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None. This company is awful.

Cons

Everything about that job is awful.

Advice to Management

Quit

4. "It was terrible. Nothing good to say."

Pros

Nothing what so ever under god's green earth

Cons

Everything. No business, no sales

5. "Senior Store Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Punta Gorda, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Punta Gorda, FL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best reason to work at radioshack ? To be unemployed. Used to be a great company under Len Roberts. Len told everyone, there are two jobs at radioshack, those that serve the customers, and those that serve the servers. This meant the company stood behind the stores, giving us the support and products we needed. It was great, we made record sales during his rein. Later leadership turned that around and blamed the stores for low performance, while corporate eliminated advertising. Customers had no idea what sales were being run, and corporate turned a deaf ear to those of us that were screaming at them this was a huge mistake.

Cons

Being unemployed. Company sucked the life out of it's workers, then cast them aside as worthless trash.

Advice to Management

Pay the promised store closing bonus you screwed the managers out of. Hope someone starts a class action suit over this.

Stores in our district were promised if the store manager stayed through the closing process, we would receive a closing bonus. Of course most of us did this, only to be told on the last day, oh, by the way, there will be no bonus paid. Was really a dirty thing to do.

6. "Assistant Manager"

I worked at RadioShack full-time

Pros

Nice to learn about all the new technology

Cons

Pay, micromanagement, and they terminated the position without notice

7. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Handy place to buy electronic parts and connectors.

Cons

Very poor selection of high end products.

Advice to Management

Choose a good line of products to sell at a reasonable price.

8. "Tax Specialist"

I worked at RadioShack full-time

Pros

The tax team was great despite the executive management team

Cons

unethical and a lack of integrity

Advice to Management

Replace the current executive management if investors expect RadioShack to survive

9. "Market Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Market Sales Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Market Sales Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There were many pros when it was RadioShack Corporation. Great company to work for. General Wireless dba... there were absolutely NO Pros other than keeping my job until the very end.

Cons

Upper management blatantly lied to Regional Directors and Market Managers about many things and kept us in the dark about others. No "bonus requirements" were published in May. We were told that we were using April requirements. They used this to NOT pay bonus. They split bonus in two halfs; sales and labor. In order to qualify for labor bonus you must stay within hours, yet they allotted an average of 50 hours per store the final week of business which wouldn't even cover the store being open. It should have been roughly 250 to close down the stores. We were told to encourage stores to "use whatever was needed". No stores received the labor bonus for April or May. We were told there would be a bonus for staying until the stores closed. Those who stayed received nothing except letters saying that they did not meet the expectations due to the items that were sent back to corporate. This was true, EVEN when every instruction was followed. I am still waiting on my sales side of the April bonus. I've never been denied and never received a penny. We were told that we should NOT use our Paid Time Off (PTO) because the company would pay us one lump sum on our last check for all used that had accrued since Aug. 1st, 2016. I didn't believe them at that time and entered PTO. It was deleted and NO PTO has ever been paid. When I asked about this I was told that RadioShack NEVER promised to pay PTO unless required by law (my state isn't). Bottom line- After 31 years of service... including staying until 7pm the very last day of my career with RadioShack, I was lied to... and cheated out of money that I was promised. The management team that are NOT crooks either have their head in the sand, or are purposely looking the other way while the management team that ARE crooks screws over loyal employees that stayed until the end. Yeah... I'm bitter. I would not have been if they had lived up to the promises made to keep me until the end. Me being bitter is a PRODUCT of the way I was treated.

"Rollercoaster Ride"

Former Employee - Store Manager in West Nyack, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in West Nyack, NY

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Great baseline for experience
    2. Aggressive Sales exposure
    3. Out-of-the-box thinking.

Cons

1. Micro-managed to the bone.
    2. Upper-management - Careless to Manager.
    3. "Lost Dog" Leadership
    4. 3-4 Conference Calls/Week
    5. Behind the Times.
    6. Terrible Decision Making from a CEO stand-point. Ongoing bad hires from bad companies (Blockbuster, Circuit City)
    7. "Dead-end" Job. Upper-management only helps their friends get jobs.
    8. Results were never enough.
    9. MANY MORE.

Advice to Management

If there is a management still, please take a step back. To see results you employees need to be happy, in order to accomplish this, you need to take in consideration their lives and other factors. Stop hiring your old buddies from your last job, it creates a bad feeling that other GREAT managers can never see opportunity in a company they might love to work for. Sales & Attaching is great to do at any job, no reason to have 20 calls per week about it. It'd only going to take management away from managing their business. I've noticed you only hire other upper-management team members from bad companies, it cost less to promote within. Hire smart, not a "know-it-all" guy that ran a mall kiosk in 2005 (just a similar example). You need to create opportunities, no take them away. You need to pay your employees for the work they do, they work harder than upper-management. Work/Life - needs to be looked at more, no reason a DM/RVP should be making conference calls from home, be in stores 5 days/week. Understand their are situations that come up, don't expect a manager to come in after getting into a car accident, let them run their store. TRUST they have it covered and know what's they are doing. We are not inexperienced retail managers (if you did good hiring/training to start). Senior management needs to stop acting like their the bees-knees. You should treat yourselves at the same level as each employee. Set your expectations and follow up. Coach in the moment and don't hound them on conference calls and numbers. Having them report once a week to you with a re-cap of last weeks business should show you that the right managers are in place. Think about what happens when they have to pull an open to close and open the next day to be on a call that repeats info on yesterdays call. The culture and values are completely off! Re-evaluate the company, and maybe come back with a new style, team and objective! Rest In Piece and we shall await the resurrection.

Showing 661 of 2,719 reviews