RadioShack Reviews | Glassdoor

RadioShack Reviews

Updated May 26, 2017

Cons

"If it sinks i'm not willing to go down"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, work primarily alone, customers are good at times

Cons

Working alone there is never time to eat, and if and when you bring in food to eat you'll have to eat in the front of the store and on our feet. No time to clock out and have a decent lunch break. LOTS of sales pressure, but it's expected from a company that'll sell you batteries that explode and will fire you if you don't meet your goals that are non realistic.

Advice to Management

NONE, keep doing what you do.

2. "Out of business"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fleming Island, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fleming Island, FL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sold a variety of things. The schedule had good hours to create work/life balance.

Cons

Went out of business. The hourly was horrible as well.

Advice to Management

N/a

3. "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people who have been around for a long time. Feels like a family.

Cons

unstable company. Too many ups and downs over the past few years.

Advice to Management

decide if you are in business or not. then commit

5. "Store Manager of RadioShack and Sprint"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment, cool gadgets, and interesting customers.

Cons

Corporate is very unorganized. Lack of support from marketing. Lack if clarity in terms of direction. Employees needs to be treated with respect.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and understanding that we all have bills and responsibilities. That would go miles to keeping employees in the building and getting an experienced staff rather than training new people every few months.

"Horrible last year."

Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed selling consumer electronics; I enjoyed the competitive atmosphere and I enjoyed managing my "own" business with some autonomy. I actually loved what I did... selling electronics, running a small store, managing a staff. I enjoyed looking at our numbers and figuring out (with my employees) how we could increased profits, boost dollar-per-ticket; things like that. It's was a good challenge and it was satisfying.

Cons

Salary is absolutely horrible for most managers. Store managers are expected to work 55-60 hours a week. At smaller stores, managers wind up making about 10 bucks an hour. Bonuses amount to 200-300 bucks a month.. if you qualify for them. Most don't. Manager pay for larger stores isn't quite that bad... up to 60-70K.. but there are few stores that large and those managers tend to hang around.

Salaries, bonuses, and commissions of managers and sales associates have fallen dramatically over the years. As a sales associate back in the late early 00's, I was making 35-45K. In my last year as a Senior store manager, I was making 45K when I reached 65k at one point. And I kept working those 60 hour weeks.

As a whole, upper management and district/regional managers are either incompetent or simply running scared. They don't know what to do with this company and what kind of direction to give it. They pay more attention to the position of a stapler in the desk than the really important parts of the bussiness. I'm talking about 572 and the rest of the region.

Sales plan numbers often make no sense, and it's hard to see very good managers struggling to make unrealistic numbers.

Advice to Management

Stop shoving cell phones down the throat of every customer that walks in the door. Look at stores that work over time and figure out what those stores and those managers are doing right. More incentive pay, particularly for store managers in those smaller stores. Competent store managers should not be making 10 bucks and hour and working 60 hours a week. You can expect that people in this position are going to seriously think about leaving the company, even in an economic downturn.
    I did not want to leave RadioShack -I liked my job. I liked the people I worked with; I liked the customers whom I helped daily. I liked making yearly bonuses at my previous store. I’m grateful to RadioShack for the time I was there and the management I’d worked for over the years. RadioShack was not just a job to me but a career path in which I would have liked to be a District Manager myself one day. But Reginald Weekly was an unprofessional racist bully who offered me no room to grow with the company and showed me little hope for its future. I would think that if RadioShack hired a district manager in that district who put a small degree of effort into growing their employees, instead of just lambasting and threatening them, it could probably double its growth in 2013. I hope this blog helps all of the managers who are afraid to come forward and speak the truth about Reginald Weekly, and I hope it helps RadioShack to see that sometimes you need a soft hand to build profits instead of a shaky fist.

7. "Lots of room for improvement"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Champlin, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Champlin, MN

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people, decent marketing and corporate vibe

Cons

pay, schedule and tools for the job

"This company used to be great to work for"

Current Employee - Key Holder in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoy the people I work with.

Cons

The company itself is failing hard, and micro manage everything.
    There is no reason to do well, besides the constant threats of getting wrote up or fired for not meeting silly goals.
    Very few items to actually sell worth anything. Which leaves extra pay very low besides your base pay.

Advice to Management

Communicate with the people in the actual stores what your plans are for the company and why we do things we do. Because at this point it all feels like grasping for straws.

9. "Didn't care about employees"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Branson, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Branson, MO

I worked at RadioShack (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, definite opportunity to help people.

Cons

Management ran it into the ground. Changes structure often and didn't want to listen to the recommendations of customers or associates working.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that work for you, and are trying to build your company up.

10. "Work place"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mount Airy, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mount Airy, NC

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working situation for company

Cons

poor pay Terrible product focus

Advice to Management

All the above

11. "paid the bills"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Inverness, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Inverness, FL

Pros

got to learn all the new gadgets and develop people skills. made alot money in sales even won several awards. Won money and even in store prizes. Gain alot of respect from others in sales.

Cons

sink or swim job just a stepping stone not a great place to put roots. People would get upset if you won money or got a big sale. Sink or swim.

Advice to Management

open doors

Showing 738 of 2,629 reviews