Radius Innovation & Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Radius Innovation & Development Reviews

Updated Jan 21, 2019

3.2
Radius Innovation & Development Radius General Manager and Jabil CMO Joanne Moretti (no image)
Joanne Moretti

"Jabil should shed dead weight"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Radius Innovation & Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity, competitive pay, generally good people to work with.

Cons

Much better design firms, more competitively priced and relevant. Radius is more of a design for manufacture, compromise any design aspects, company.

Advice to Management

Sell it.

Radius Innovation & Development2018-04-19

"Seems to be headed on a better trajectory for 2017/2018"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Radius Innovation & Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Each office can be pretty different. Just had a great global meeting where they brought EVERYONE to San Jose. Was great to meet everyone and think it helps with morale and potential collaboration. Studio is very much stand alone, and San Jose has gotten much better in just the last new months. They did remove the CEO/president and some team members under an objective he tried but wasn't working. I know at least... a couple of the negative reviews are those people that were laid off, not due to their fault, but the CEO's plan that didn't pan out. I think San Jose office was rough a year ago, but has gotten much better. I'm happy with the hardworking, friendly people that are here . In of course because it's a product design consulting company, lots of variety.

Cons

It is a consulting business, so it can be hectic at times. You need to be nimble and fast sometimes more so than a start up . The pay is OK but definitely could and should be a little bit better. The commute is far for some, but for me it's great and reverse commute.

Advice to Management

Keep up the idea of empowering your employees. Also the principle of allowing to make mistakes in the effort to improve the employee and the business. Do a salary comparison between other companies in The Valley, or you will lose employees to the googles apples and Amazonians out there.

Radius Innovation & Development2017-10-14

"Medical and Hospitals"

Current Employee - Researcher

I have been working at Radius Innovation & Development full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The market research and development is popular with hospitals, healthcare sector and medical centers. We have a growing division around these reports (Tip: we are hiring medical researchers). Healthcare is growing.

Cons

Not much coaching or mentoring. If you do not like to write than consider a different analysis company. The computer systems are dated. No life balance.

Advice to Management

Leadership is remote and not here day to day. Not sure they would know my name. Culture is ok but low resources, mentoring and professional development.

Radius Innovation & Development2017-10-04

"Mess"

Current Employee - Engineer

Pros

The last project the client was a blessing. Reminded our team that there are great companies out there. Space Flexible hours if top leadership doesn't know about it. Jabil is doing well.

Cons

Travel and hiring freeze. High turnover of senior roles. Many are going to competitors (Farm, Flex, Frog, IDEO, Google, etc.). Finance is a mess; seems to only get worse. Be prepared to do the admin. Hiring and retaining talent is a mess.

Advice to Management

Vision. Less admin work. Get organized. Free pizza.

Radius Innovation & Development2017-07-27

"Awesome environment to grow and innovate"

I have been working at Radius Innovation & Development

Pros

Ability to work cross-functionally throughout the entire organization. Great, great people!

Cons

There's a definite communication issue with the parent company, Jabil. With any integration of 2 companies, there are growing pains to work out.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's feedback. They really do care about the company and working here.

Radius Innovation & Development2016-10-06

"Micromanaged by stick, lacking leadership by carrot"

I have been working at Radius Innovation & Development full-time

Pros

Absent landlord leadership allows for flexibility at project level. Implementation management could be helpful with less parachuting. Moving to great new office and promising new Managing Directors.

Cons

We have an intense and "no mistake" culture. Add Jabil ETS leadership, which is hardcore and far removed from how a design firm functions. Results in a pressure cooker. Six senior employees (Design, HR, Engineering, Model Shop) have left. The unstated reasons are Jabil's extreme culture, lack of resources, low pay and burnout. We want to work hard but work/life balance is way off balance.

Advice to Management

Educate Jabil on how our competitors succeed (hint: not by hardcore methods, managing by spreadsheets and fear) and explain that contract manufacturing culture is stripping us of talent. In the end, consulting talent will help Jabil be stronger.

Radius Innovation & Development2016-02-24

"Turn over an issue"

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Radius Innovation & Development full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Consulting, different industries, as a staff or senior engineer the work can be ok. We never worked on big name accounts, or clients. Mostly projects staffs could not do in house.

Cons

The offices really don't work together. It's all for one, one for all, and management seems to pit the offices against eachother. Many decisions we were asked about just got decided in boston.

Advice to Management

Figure out better way to have offices manage themselves, or work together. Stop turning everything into joss. Style of management. ( dictatorship)

Radius Innovation & Development2016-03-22

"Political and bureaucratic."

Former Employee - Senior Industrial Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Radius Innovation & Development full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Variety of projects. Medical and packaging primarily. Some jabil and nypro projects are interesting.

Cons

Too many process layers that frankly many companies do better. Some individuals just don't believe in design.

Advice to Management

Change.

Radius Innovation & Development2016-04-01

"The Straight Scoop"

I have been working at Radius Innovation & Development full-time

Pros

The challenges of working for a design consultancy are both invigorating and daunting, but the team has been very successful in turning the daunting to the invigorating. Make no mistake about it, this place is about "team", and the team includes the client. We gain more insights and professional development experience in two years than many get in two decades. It's a fast-paced and high performance environment... where an individual can excel and really flex her/his education and experience. There are opportunities to work in many locations that include not only our current five offices (Chicago (my home), Boston, San Jose, Shanghai, Hong Kong), but also to co-locate at client locations. Seattle, San Diego or Shenzhen anyone? Benefits are better than most places in general and better than design firms overall.

Cons

If you come in with the expectation that this is a 9-5 job, you will be disappointed, unless the 9-5 was not what you were looking for. You can definitely get lost in the pace, but the fact is, you won't notice. Some systems are wonky, but IT is on it.

Advice to Management

It's a struggle to maintain culture after being acquired by a (much) larger organization. Keep up the good work in this area.

Radius Innovation & Development2015-08-06
  10. "full-time and contract work"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Clinton, MA

I worked at Radius Innovation & Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Radius was an exciting place to work and grow. The people and company supported my wife and I during life transitions as best as they could. Both my wife (also a mech E) I worked on and off for Radius as contractors and full-time employees and were happy with the experiences.

Cons

Management sometimes powerless at hands of corporate overlords and client whims. I can't believe there's a 20 word minimum.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the family lives of your employees and encouraging the welcoming culture I experienced. Let someone else win at foosball sometime.

Radius Innovation & Development2015-07-24