Radley Yeldar Reviews | Glassdoor

Radley Yeldar Joint Managing Director Carl Radley
Carl Radley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Intern"

Pros

Great people, culture and flexible working hours. Diverse clientele which gives you the chance to create some of your best work for some of the best, most inspiring companies out there.

Cons

No negatives really. It's a great place to work at!

2. "Lovely RY"

I worked at Radley Yeldar full-time

Pros

Great people, family feel, the senior team really care

Cons

Grown a lot and therefore lost some of its magic

Advice to Management

Keep true to your roots

Nov 16, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Growing for sure brings its challenges. Some days feels like we have cracked the art of making magic with our culture, only to be brought back down to earth! Running an agency is a bit like life - we... More

"Print & Mailing Manager"

Former Employee - Print & Mailing Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Print & Mailing Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Radley Yeldar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment, some really nice people, a great blend of work hard play hard, great team feeling. Carl Radley is a wonderful boss & a lovely bloke, sharp, shrewd & to the point. He says it like it is & that's all you need in a boss.

Cons

Poor pay for experience & skills required, no chance to evolve within the role or elsewhere within the buisness after bringing up ongoing problems several times. No option for training to broaden skill set. Large turnover of staff (might be the norm within agencies?) but you had new people trying to learn off of other pretty new people & it just didn't work very well.

Advice to Management

Listen, listen & act if possible & if not advise why - don't just leave people hanging. Key people were leaving only to rejoins to get that increase in salary that you'd probably turned down previously. Have new starters work CLOSELY with good team members to properly learn the ropes & the way things should be done

Aug 17, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your views, glad you enjoyed your time. A bit embarrassed about “wonderful boss” but thank you.

On pay, we review everyone’s regularly and believe we’re paying market rate. That said... More

"Great bunch of people and a friendly atmosphere"

I have been working at Radley Yeldar full-time

Pros

Great People
    Nice location (particularly for people on the east side of London)
    Competitive salaries
    Looked after

Cons

Workload can be a bit repetitive for some teams
    Long hours can really sap the energy and enthusiasm of the workforce (especially the older we get)

Advice to Management

Keep investing in youth. Fresh minds and youthful energy help to invigorate the workplace, workforce and the business overall.

Aug 8, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Diversity creates an interesting and creative workplace. Thanks for being part of it.
    Carl x

"Disingenuous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Radley Yeldar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent creatives, truly talented individuals.
    Flat structure, some opportunities for development.
    Owner of the business and leadership team mean well.

Cons

I worked within a group of individuals who said all the right things but didn't actually do what they were paid to do. It was laced with backstabbing predominantly by those who had been there longest...and this part of the business I later learned was something of an ever revolving door. The notion of 'team' was often referred to but was largely lip service. My immediate boss didn't lead from the front and seemed scared to have an opinion most of the time and offered no clarity. If an individual had a good idea or was particularly successful in their duties the others would actually ignore the colleague. High staff turnover at the time I joined was an immediate worry and at every quarterly review by the leadership team everyone felt vulnerable and there would be some redundancies. It felt unwelcoming despite best intentions from the leadership who are full of ideas but seem detached from the day to day. Also if you openly complimented a director it would mean by default that you would be an enemy of another director...yes this really happens as without knowing it you have chosen a side.

Advice to Management

Full of respect for the owner but surprised by inertia in certain parts of the business and how employees parade as busy but seemingly do little.

Aug 8, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for recognising our creative team and for your open review. I do understand most of the points you make and can see how our transitioning business can, unfortunately, create difficulties for... More

"Entry level positions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Radley Yeldar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great work-space
    - Very friendly culture
    - Lots of cross-pollination between segments of the company
    - More senior colleagues are always willing to give helpful advice

Cons

- In a trendy and expensive neighborhood
    - commuter rush-hour through central London can be hectic

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The way everyone works together and the camaraderie is what makes this company such a great place to work!

Jun 22, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Very glad to hear you’re enjoying your time at RY, thank you for spending the time to share your thoughts. When we started RY 30 years ago the area was a bit run down, so personally I am happy it’s... More

"Mixed bag"

I worked at Radley Yeldar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice people
    Excellent benefits
    Great experience on CV

Cons

Complacency amongst staff that have been there for a long time
    It's not a meritocracy - what you know and how well you work is not as important as who you are friends with at RY
    Too much politics and individuals with their own agendas in senior positions

"Busy workplace full of like-minded people"

I worked at Radley Yeldar part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at RY for over 10 years and took redundancy in 2015. If RY were a character, it'd be a work hard, play hard person; ready to get stuck in, never precious and always respectful to those around it. It shys away from difficult conversations but gets there in the end. Can sometimes be a bit impulsive, chaotic and makes knee-jerk decisions but never without trying to consider the impact on others. It's a great friend to have, one you'll take in warts and all.

What makes this place great is the people, hands down. I've made friends for life and have an extensive network of incredibly talented people I can draw on for professional advice who have worked there at one time or another.
    It is privately owned, and Carl Radley always tries to do what he can to nurture the culture and positive sides of the place along with the rest of the Board. I would know, I sat in on most decision making meetings.
    The social aspect is great, both for those that enjoy blurring the lines between work and play, and those that prefer not to.
    The Board are interested in hearing people's opinions, especially if put across with a bit of a view on how it might be implemented. Some people perceive them to be unapproachable but I dare anyone with that opinion to catch them over a pint! If you go in with criticism alone, you will still be heard but who wants that approach...
    It's easy to get stuck working there! Personally I had lots of opportunities to grow, move departments and get my ideas across, as well as contribute to supporting the culture.

Cons

The volume of work can be overwhelming
    Sometimes decisions get made that are based on assumptions rather than facts
    Depending on the quality of the management, can be overlooked unless you are proactive
    Career progression in some departments might be tricky if you are keen to stay and grow there

Advice to Management

I think in their attempts to become more inclusive on decision making they went to wide and lost people's confidence. When I left this had been realised and they were trying to pull back on some of the crazy amount of strategic objectives they were working on implementing.
    They'd be better off taking on one thing, getting on the same page and addressing the differences of approaches and opinions they have so they look unified as a leadership of the company.
    RY is a learning organisation and they don't even know it! I would say that as I was working on a strategy for L&D when I left, but aside from that I came away from RY having developed more skills than even I realised. The Leadership training that was rolled out across the organisation wasn't fully embraced or valued by all, but to me, it means I stand out in my new workplace. I was given the opportunity to attend a variety of training courses when times were good, but actually the biggest amount of learning was done through 360 feedback that everyone participated in, stretching projects and management. You know the management aspect is inconsistent, but there's a rock solid foundation for mentoring and other good stuff there to build on that costs little or no money! People move departments when they want to develop their skills and that's a pretty good thing.

"Nice place to work at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Radley Yeldar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with very talented and intelligent people. Everyone is very hard-working which is motivating. The office is great and the team responsible for it works extremely hard to keep everyone happy. Management is friendly and a part of the team.

Cons

The company feels very divided. It doesn't feel like an integrated agency. It attracts the same type of clients because no one seems interested in changing.

"Great people, great atmosphere, great progression"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Great culture, lots of great perks like gym membership and private healthcare schemes, breakfast provided, great work events including sport based ones like the Hackney Half marathon. Lots of lovely hard working people who, if you give your time to, will help you out and support you. Good progression with managers frequently checking in to make sure you are happy within your role. A very high standard of work from the creative floor who are an incredibly hard working bunch of people. Overall a great company.

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to have your voice heard being a junior and some slightly more senior people, or people who have been there for a while are a tad 'stuck in their ways' and resist more up to date methods that are likely to be beneficial to the business. Some members of staff don't pull their weight as much as they should and it can cause a negative ripple, and load work onto others. Not very many negatives.