Raffa Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Raffa President & Founder Thomas J. Raffa
Thomas J. Raffa

1. "Managed Accounting Services"

Current Intern - Winter Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Winter Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Raffa as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Managed Accounting Services department great place to learn more about general accounting practices, especially at the beginning of the career, rather than working continually for audit or tax practices. I believe it will be valuable to learn different accounting software and different client environments. I also find it morally rewarding to work with not-for-profit organizations, helping them create something better for the society. I also appreciate that the management is flexible about work load and personal preferences, supports all employees' well-being, and encourages voluntary work. Raffa is a great working environment for people who have a purpose of help.”

Cons

Even though I exposed so many different assignments, I wish to experience more challenging work while I was doing my internship.

"Public Accounting"

Current Employee - Audit Staff in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Audit Staff in Washington, DC

I have been working at Raffa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, open communication with management and partners, flexible schedule, reasonable hours (even during busy season), great relationships with clients, opportunities for advancement, career development opportunities

Cons

Internal training programs lacking, HR department not top quality

"It's About Achieving Life Purpose"

I have been working at Raffa full-time

Pros

There are many pros for working at Raffa:
    1. Flexible schedule. This has been advantageous to many employees who have opted to "stay at home" with their kids or to work reduced or flexible schedules. Some employees work totally from home, work 20-30 hours per week to allow more time with their children or have flexible arrival or dismissal time for childcare purposes.
    2. It is an opportunity to fulfill your life's purpose while at work. For example, if you have an interest in education, Raffa will allow you participate in educational opportunities in the community. In fact, Raffa actually encourages such participation. These opportunities are also announced firm-wide. Employees can also bring forth issues that they are interested in advocating for firm-wide support.
    3. Promotions to next level not based on availability of positions. If the Firm believes that an employee is ready for the next level, he or she will be promoted and the Firm will figure out how to handle the capacity.
    4. Significant flexibility in the work that you do. Oftentimes, employees are asked to "figure out what you want to do" and steps are taken to make that happen.
    5. Great co-workers.
    6. Great clients in all aspects and communities. It is very common for employees who have a desire to work with clients in a specific industry to state this fact and then to be assigned to such clients. Great opportunity to understand many of the issues that our community faces and to get involved with solving some of those problems.
    7. Female leadership. Not a male dominate firm (sorry guys).
    8. Diverse services offered which allows you to enhance your own skill set and knowledge.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons at the moment.

"Purpose Driven Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Raffa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Conscious company - certified B corp
    Good team culture
    Unique benefit policies including unlimited paid volunteer leave

Cons

Company has grown fast and can feel fragmented
    No flex time policies

Advice to Management

Create more flexible work options for employees

6. "summer internship program and got extended through the fall semester, winter and spring."

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Raffa as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, friendly working environment, everybody is very helpful, no drama, they are open minded ~ if you can think of it, simply ask and they will make it happen for you.

Cons

High turnover, but that is just the accounting industry, anywhere you go.
    Commuting, but they have a Rockville office that offers hoteling.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"The people make the job"

Current Employee - Staff Auditor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Staff Auditor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Raffa (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life for public accounting

Cons

Employee development is sometimes limited to firm needs because it is a smaller firm.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Administrative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative in Washington, DC

I have been working at Raffa full-time

Pros

- Convenient Downtown location
    - Nice office
    - Diversity in workplace
    - Great Leadership. Partners and some managers that I work with directly genuinely care for the Firm, employees and clients and if you do have a problem or an issue you would like to discuss, you can easily talk to them and come up with a solution. A lot of times they will work with you on case by case which is nice because they will try to work with YOUR unique situation.
    - Lots of fun firm events
    - Lots of opportunities for building your network
    - If you love accounting world, there are plenty of interesting clients and projects you can work on and try yourself in different areas of practice.
    - Really, there are no boundaries for any employees in terms of growth and learning experience except for those that people can build themselves. That is perhaps why, Raffa has a low staff turnover compare to other CPA Firms. If you are proactive, have an open mind, and love what you do – you will have a green light and will enjoy working here.

Cons

- Company doesn’t offer sick leave
    - Benefits could have been better (but leadership is constantly working on it)
    - Long hours certain times of a year

Advice to Management

Just continue working towards building relationship with staff, finding opportunities for life / work balance and improving benefits.

"Takes credit where they shouldn't"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Raffa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot in a short amount of time
    Staff and seniors are great but that's where it ends

Cons

While the company prides itself for having a work-life balance and that it's more fulfilling because you work for nonprofits, it is all just a marketing scheme. Management is rarely grateful for the work you have done and as soon as you get the hang of something, you are just loaded with more. The expectations for the amount of work that can be completed are extremely unreasonable. In fact, many times they are impossible to complete unless you are willing to work your nights and weekends (which I am not). I'd be very cautious at joining this firm. People that have been here for just 4 months already realize it's not what they expected or were hoping for.

Advice to Management

Management needs to actually start taking action on making the work environment better for seniors and staff or soon they will lose half of their employees.

10. "Great experience overall"

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Raffa as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Diverse intern experience; experienced 6 clients in 8 weeks and did a variety of in-depth audit procedures typical of a year 1 staff

Cons

Few opportunities for firm-related travel

"Senior"

Current Employee - Senior in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior in Washington, DC

I have been working at Raffa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent and highly knowledgeable people, good compensation and benefits, and a great place to become an expert in non-profit accounting. We work with various nonprofit
    clients, all with different issues.
    Very diverse, a lot of women in leadership roles, including Kathy Raffa. Partners and managers have an open door policy and I can ask anyone a question if I don't understand something. Had lunch with Tom Raffa in my first year.
    They understand flexibility, if needing to work from home or work at their other office in Rockville.

Cons

It is an accounting firm, so the hours are can long, which is typical of a public accounting firm. But you are inspired by the clients you work for. And the potential for a good amount of flexibility - not a guarantee.
    Onboarding for each department is lacking from what I hear. In MAS there was a week of training and orientation but other new staff in other departments can feel solo for months.
    Some managers are better than others and some do not engage employees or provide guidance, but you can switch them out.

Advice to Management

The onboarding process should be extended to all departments after the HR portion.
    Everyone should get a manager or mentor you can go to, it seems a bit loosey-goosey.
    Keep up the innovative work on wellness and the new purpose program stuff.