RailCrew Xpress Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Like driving and meeting the conductors and engineers (in 3 reviews)

• Hours, most of the rail road crew, most of the Xpress crew, traveling and seeing places you don't normally get to see (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries minimum-wage and do not expect a pay raise because you will not get one (in 6 reviews)

• Long hours low pay alot of unnecessary headaches (in 5 reviews)

1. "ok"

Current Employee - Yard Driver in Salem, IL
    Current Employee - Yard Driver in Salem, IL

I have been working at RailCrew Xpress full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work for a great branch manager

Cons

the company could pay better

Advice to Management

take care of the employees that work hard for the company.

2. "So so company"

Former Employee - Long Haul Driver in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Long Haul Driver in La Crosse, WI

I worked at RailCrew Xpress part-time

Pros

The jobs offers flexibility in scheduling. If you bring an issue to upper management they take tou serioualy.

Cons

Lots of unkept promises and assurances by hiring and local management.

Advice to Management

If you promise sometgung to peipke, keep your word. Also, realize that peiple have lives that don't recolve around you, keeping people hanging on call 24/7 yet not pating them.

"Den of lies"

Former Employee - Story Teller in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Story Teller in Lenexa, KS

I worked at RailCrew Xpress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Those in charge are so bad that it's easy enough to avoid wasting too much time with them. That said, it would be nice for them to put "we hate you" in the job descriptions.

Cons

Managers tell you whatever they can to avoid conflict and get you out of their office. They then turn around and do the opposite. It is a culture of lies, dishonesty, and a complete lack of anything resembling moral or ethical behavior.

Advice to Management

Quit your job. Take your ill gotten gains and move into a tent in the forest and don't bother civilized folk again with your evil natures.

4. "Driver"

Former Employee - Driver in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Driver in Wichita, KS

I worked at RailCrew Xpress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to learn about the railroad

Cons

Being on call all of the time

Advice to Management

Get three shifts

5. "You get a ton of hours in, overtime is where the money is at!"

Current Employee - Van Driver in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Van Driver in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at RailCrew Xpress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours, most of the rail road crew, most of the Xpress crew, traveling and seeing places you don't normally get to see.

Cons

Negative rail road crew that can be harsh, feeling the supervisors stress, sometimes being called in before your rest is up (dispatchers and supervisors), been waiting on the supposed dollar raise that's been waiting on a Rail Crew Xpress CEO to sign since the beginning of the year (it's advertised as $10 an hour but really it's $9 right now, (time and a half on holidays, once it's signed) good thing back pay will be implemented once it's signed ((not sure if you still get that if you quit before it's signed)). I've never worked for minimum wage in years.

Advice to Management

Sign the paperwork sitting on your desk so we can get that dollar more an hour as promised.

"It is what you make it"

Former Employee - Driver in Victoria, TX
    Former Employee - Driver in Victoria, TX

I worked at RailCrew Xpress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to learn about the railroad
    Meet cool people
    easy money
    get an understanding on DOT regulations
    If you can do it im sure this is an amazing job for some, but for Me the pay was to low for 24/7

Cons

A lot of this will vary from place to place
    ==============================
    Boring at times
    Some crews can be unfriendly
    No set schedule
    Cannot turn down trip's; I often got questioned by Management on why i turned Down trip's for rest
    Management pushed me to take trips i had no right taking, endangering my life and the crew's life
    Training is minimal
    Driving for 200 + miles can get old quick
    You never really know who else is on the board, often times i felt as though it was me and one other person
    Management threatened me a few times with the job
    A Lot of the vans are in poor condition
    High turnover, they are looking for warm bodies
    Gps in most of the car's have never been updated and have almost no info
    There is a lot of danger in this job, a lot more than you might think
    More than once my manager turned their heads so i could work past the Dot regulated 12 hours of driving, implying that i had to take the trip
    There is no balance for work and personal life, for Me atleast i was a 24/7 driver and the only times i could get guaranteed time off was rest time
    May or may not be a con but drinking is a no go on this job unless you are resting just like any other oncall job
    Not much of a con but it was implied when i was hired that 24/7 drivers would be able to pick and choose their hours due to the number of drivers, and i would be able to make as much as i wanted
    Most of the dispatching is done over the phone even though there is an app
    company app sucks
    Working 24/7 unpaid for 9 dollars an hour
    Manager would sometimes assume i was willing to take a trip even though i had been awake for 6 hours and driving a trip to add up to 10 hours and than told that i was lined up for two trips in a row up to 5 hours

Advice to Management

Tell drivers where they are on the board show trips as they come in possibly allow employees the option to chose trips using the app, and for sure update the app it is garbage. In my opinion give 24/7 drivers the option to turn down trips as no one can be ready all the time or in a place to get to the yard in time. I'm not sure but it seems as if the company would benefit from having shift drivers for day and night shifts and hiring more part time 24/7 drivers so that drivers don't feel pressured to take trips they may not be comfortable with or just don't want to take a trip.

Overall i think this company suffers from what a lot of companies suffer from trying to cut costs at the expense of the worker

7. "Van driver"

Current Employee - Van Driver in Kendleton, TX
    Current Employee - Van Driver in Kendleton, TX

I have been working at RailCrew Xpress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Different schedule that gets you use to shifwork.

Cons

Horrible pay, unorganized no hours and it's not worth it

Advice to Management

Keep up with time a employee needs a raise.
    Raise minimum pay rate to 11.00

"Gone down hill"

Current Employee - Road Driver in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Road Driver in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at RailCrew Xpress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy, had lots of hours and you could drive throughout the state of Florida and southern Georgia and see a lot of pretty country.

Cons

All the work dissappeared overnite.

Advice to Management

Basically in a managerial sense the company has put a gun in its mouth and pulled the trigger.

There were two types of drivers, yard drivers and road drivers. The yard drivers were paid in hourly shifts with guarateed hours and pay wether they transported any crew members or not. Road drivers only got paid when they had trips. Without any supervision or accountability the yard drivers became notorious for being lazy and wanted to get paid to do nothing, and drivers began refusing to transport crew members so they could sit around rail yards getting paid to talk and gossip.

The new CEO of CSX got wind of this and simply decreed no more yard buses, and a vast amount of work and pay vaporized overnight. Now RCX is compounding the same mistake by giving whatever trips that are left over to the same former yard drivers that wrecked the company in the 1st place in reward for their ability to talk and gossip.

This was a great and fun job and now its ruined. And I suspect its just a matter of time before CSX pulls the contract entirely. All because of a managerial inability to deal with a few bad apples wether they be yard drivers or in the Lenexa Kansas call center.

9. "I like It"

I have been working at RailCrew Xpress part-time

Pros

I like the work and my co-workers.

Cons

*Almost* a living wage.
    Way too easy to break a corporate rule.

10. "Railcrew dispatch setup unfair to drivers"

Current Employee - Long Haul Driver in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Long Haul Driver in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at RailCrew Xpress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel, working with the railroad

Cons

Bad management,supervisors who don't know what they are doing. Messed up dispatch system . Drivers who come off rest being placed in front of workers already on the board. Deplorable

Advice to Management

First come first serve off the board. Respect hours of service rules. Stop hiring people off the streets for supervisor positions