Railinc Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Railinc President & CEO E. Allen West
E. Allen West

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people, interesting work, and all the data you could want to play with" (in 8 reviews)

• "This is a great place to come in and build up professional experience" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "There also seems to be a pretty strict pecking order" (in 2 reviews)

• "growth, company structure - industry owned" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist

I have been working at Railinc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, a lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Pay could be higher to meet industry averages.

"Great concept but poorly managed"

I worked at Railinc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great concept, process and impact to all of North America.

Cons

High turnover, lower than normal pay, dire benefits and poor management occur here. Don't be mislead by the advancement opportunities, ability to make an impact or stable job as they are all fictitious.

Advice to Management

Sit down and ready all the review on the site and recognize that your the problem. Don't promote based on your inner circle instead, promote who should get the role.

3. "Great place to start, not for the long haul"

I have been working at Railinc full-time

Pros

Development opportunities, supportive environment, and generally interesting work

This is a great place to come in and build up professional experience. The environment is set up so that you have a clear line of progression within the company and training in your current role leads directly into the next. Perfect for younger employees looking to beef up a resume and grow.

Cons

Salary, hierarchy, and forced moves

Compensation is a common complaint. It frequently comes up as a concern in our company meetings but never gets addressed beyond comments on the research behind the salaries of the area.

There’s a fairly firm progression line. You start here, move here, end up here then ??? There are people who end up in different roles than originally planned but they’re rare. Even then you need to move around the different departments to move up. This creates an environment where we’re deprived of the chance to become an expert in the current role.

Advice to Management

The benefits at Railinc are nice (not talking healthcare) but rather than having a nice holiday party or frequent lunches, I’d appreciate greater opportunity for a decent raise. My day to day bills are more important to me than a free sweatshirt.

Nov 6, 2018 – Director of Corporate Communications

Thank your for the thoughtful review -- we agree Railinc is a great place to come and build professional experience while also seeing a positive impact from your work. It's confusing that you say... More

4. "Mgmt"

I worked at Railinc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, stable company, get to experiment with technologies, not a high pressure env

Cons

growth, company structure - industry owned

5. "Review"

I have been working at Railinc full-time

Pros

Great work environment, good benefits

Cons

Pay needs to be more competitive with other IT companies

Jul 24, 2018 – Director of Corporate Communications

Thank you for your "review"! We agree that Railinc has a great work environment, with smart people who do meaningful, purpose-driven work.

As for pay, we constantly review benchmarks to ensure... More

6. "Great Place to Work Overall"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative

I have been working at Railinc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment, great people, much opportunity for advancement. There really is a lot to get involved with even with being at the entry-level spot.

Cons

On-call can be a drag from time to time but not too bad overall. The biggest complaint may be the compensation at least from the entry-level standpoint.

Advice to Management

Benefits are quite rich but some of that could be sacrificed for better compensation.

"Great Place to begin a Career"

I worked at Railinc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Railinc has amazing benefits that include multiple retirement programs, great healthcare options, seasonal gifts to employees, and fun company events. You are also allowed to reward coworkers with gift cards if they help you.

They are very willing to invest in their employees. They host classes so that employees can become qualified for promotions or send them to the classes after they get the promotion. It is a great place to work from the bottom up because they will be supportive the whole way as long as you put forth the effort and have the qualifications.

There are a lot of amazing people working there and they're always willing to help you out and teach you.

The work and industry (rail) are very interesting and I believe anyone could find a department that they want to focus on. You're always learning and always being challenged.

Cons

If you don't negotiate a high salary when you join the company it could take a long time to get the raises that would put you at industry standard as you move up in the company. I've heard that a lot of attention is put on the percentage of the raise rather than if the pay is industry standard.

They are not open when it comes to pay scales. I know that this can sound trivial but as an employee you want to feel valued and knowing where you are in a pay range for your position helps. It can also be motivational because someone at the bottom of their pay scale will start to work towards earning in the top tier of their scale. The cash pay also seems to be subpar compared to other IT companies in the area. However, keep in mind that the benefits do slightly make up for this (to an extent).

While the company invests time and money into training employees there were a few instances where I got the sense that not much, if any, effort was made to keep the employees when they got other offers. They seem to just let good employees go without a fight. On the other side I have seen people who seem to be coasting and doing the bare minimum stay on long term.

Open seating. If you prefer privacy let this be a warning. Of course, that seems to be the office style of the tech companies these days so you may be hard pressed to get away from it.

Advice to Management

Do more to keep the amazing employees that you already have. I would think it's less expensive to increase pay or offer alternative benefits in order to keep someone who already has the knowledge and is good at their job rather than having to train someone to take their role over.

Be more open when it comes to pay scales for each position. In the short term this may mean increasing the pay for some employees to get them into the pay scale but there could be enough benefits to make up for this.

Other than that keep up the great work. I truly enjoyed my time there.

Feb 9, 2018 – Director of Corporate Communications

Thank you for your review, your kind words about your former colleagues (we do have amazing people!) and for your work here.

We work hard to ensure our benefits program is competitive and... More

"Great place to grow your skills or sunset your career"

I worked at Railinc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The railroad industry is fascinating so the work is super interesting. The people are passionate about solving railroad industry problems. A lot of employee engagement "perks" have been put in place like a great holiday party with prizes, field day, ice cream in the freezers during the summer, peer to peer awards. The beenfits are ok, you pay the price of an additional 5% tax taken out of your check (that you can't opt out of) for railraod retirement. I kinda think all those extra things and the "better" benefits off set that additional 5% coming out of your check. The railroad pension plan is a nice perk.

Great place to learn and be trained but very limited promotion opportunities unless you start at the very bottom and you will hit a wall. On the flip side of that it is also a great place to sunset your career if you want a place where you can do something interesting and don't care about advancement.

Cons

Benefits - If you don't stay for 5 years, you never see that 5% you paid again because you don't qualify for railroad retirement. The health benefits I have now are better and cost me less and the extra perks I have now are better too. So the benefits they provide seem great when you are there but in reality are the same as their competitors (talent competitors not industry).

People are overworked and underpaid. Salaries are way way under market value even though all the comments they reply to on here to people who say they aren't try to convince you otherwise. People are not valued at all they are seen as replaceable cogs in the wheel. This is commonly known and discussed by employees.

Inexperienced home grown talent with little to no outside experience are becoming leaders or are leaders which just perpetuates the culture.

Not enough diversity in leadership roles, especially a lack of women in leadership roles. Everyone is afraid of the corner office, it is NOT an open door policy.

Advice to Management

Hire from the outside into Director and C level roles to get an infusion of expertise desperatly needed to make Railinc an incredible place to work. Hire more women into leadership roles, you are very white male heavy and lack diversity. Spend some time with employees and actually talk to them about what is happening. Stop trying to do too much with too little, you are breaking your employees and that is why they are leaving. They literally believe you don't care and the benefits are just a way to keep them there putting up with it.

Feb 9, 2018 – Director of Corporate Communications

Thank you for your review and for your work at Railinc.

You’re right. The rail industry is interesting and ever-changing, and through our purpose driven work we play an important role in the... More

"Good Company"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cary, NC

I worked at Railinc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Great schedule flexibility. Low pressure environment. Good benefits.

Cons

Compensation lacking comparative to software/technology industry.

Advice to Management

I understand the environment has inherent value, but being more competitive from a compensation perspective will help maintain talent.

Jul 17, 2017 – Director of Corporate Communications

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We’re glad you had a good experience at Railinc and enjoyed working alongside smart people solving big tech challenges for one of North America’s... More

"Company with community feel"

I worked at Railinc full-time

Pros

Great people, driven to do good work for the rail industry. Felt like a small to medium company should - you know everyone and most of the time everyone is nice and willing to work together to solve the big problems.

Cons

Interesting company structure as the railroads drive most of the projects and have a somewhat negative view of Railinc - I am assuming they view them as a competitor though they need them to make it all work smoothly.

Advice to Management

Look for ways to address the needs of the railroads while also looking to generate an individual feeling for the company and its employees - hard to do I am sure, but making hard things work is why you are the leadership.