Rain Bird Reviews in Arizona | Glassdoor

Arizona

4.0
Anthony LaFetra

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great coworkers, quality products, and a well-known brand (in 22 reviews)

• San Diego office - great people to work with - good environment (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Negativity from some staff members, lack of communication from senior management down the line and some uninspiring work spaces are cons (in 32 reviews)

• Upper management really, really sucks and puts you in a figurative sleeper hold (in 22 reviews)

1. "Love this job"

Current Employee - Skilled Machine Operator in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Skilled Machine Operator in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love this job! The work is fairly easy, the people are great, no slackers and it's 7-3:30 M-F!

Cons

The only con is you will NEVER be made permanent. ☹ You are in an 11 month contract. You then can't work for them for 13 months. You then have the opportunity to come back and work for them for another 11 months.

Advice to Management

You are in a constant training mode. As soon as you have a competent, loyal employee, the are sent in their way. You could do yourself a favor by investing in your employees.

Rain Bird Response

Jun 16, 2017 – Sr Manager Communications

Thank you for being part of the Rain Bird team. Please feel free to apply for a permanent position www.rainbirdjobs.com

"Good company that is embracing change"

Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a team oriented company that pays well and has good benefits. They are working hard to listen to employees to improve employees experience so they can succeed. There are lots of opportunities to advance your career, but you have to take the initiative to pursue.

Cons

Things do not change rapidly, but are changing

Advice to Management

Listen to employees who have new views of how to make things better

"Great company, with great people, good management"

Former Contractor - Test Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Contractor - Test Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Both my managers were really great. They really believed in my abilities therefore they let me do my thing and interfere only when I asked help and I loved the job which was more of engineering problem solving type job.

Cons

Very difficult to get a full time job position. Most of the people work at temporary position

"Flat corporate structure, engineering-driven, competitive"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and compensation.

Flexible work hours and personal time.

Opportunity to design commercial products from concept to customer.

Many very good engineers on the team.

Have read several complaints about succession planning causing problems. I've never experienced ANY pressure to release a team member because they didn't pan out as a manager. Corporate guidelines SPECIFICALLY provide recognition and advancement separate from "management" so I'd strongly resist any pressure if it came. Technical, non-mangement positions up to principal scientist are available (and really exist in the building).

Strong emphasis on quality. Willingness to sacrifice budget for schedule.

Opportunity to visit customers, understand needs and wants, design products to fit.

Cons

Employees are "ranked" against other group members which increases competition.

Communication between business areas can be difficult. Concerted effort is needed to break "silos".

Production distributed across several facilities in multiple countries can increase effort during release of new products.

Vacation benefit based on *Rain Bird service*, rather than previous job benefits. If you presently get 5 weeks of vacation, RB does not match when you join.

"Lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

lots of challenges and opportunities to grow

Cons

heavy workload; unhappy former employees cast a shadow

Advice to Management

address glass door

"Good but could be much better"

Current Employee - Director Mm Srpm Pm Dsr Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ

Pros

The pay is good and so are the people.

Cons

Communication between divisions is lacking. There seems to be some redundancy in projects. Too much turn over in product managers and engineers. The lack of continuity will ultimately hurt the organization.

Advice to Management

All need to get to know the people they manage and get a better understanding of the buiness unit they manage. Also look to the future in your thinking and not so much short term. The directors should attend each others planning meeting so they all are on tyhe same page and not having conflicting goals or strategies.

"Not for the needy"

Current Employee - Cube Person in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Cube Person in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Industry leader, excellent product quality. Rain Bird offers a very competitive salary and benefits package and a great 401K plan. We are given the freedom to solve customer problems and provide good solutions to needs in the field.

Cons

We sometimes don't respond to the market as quickly as we should. We have been an industry leader but are losing that reputation. The turn over of product manager staff has hurt our ability to introduce products that are innovative.

Advice to Management

Get into the field more to see what the market is doing. We would be more competitive if our product offering was meeting the market's needs. We seem to be playing catch-up all the time.

"Great company except for the turnover."

Current Employee - Product Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Great people - very capable employees. Great opportunity for advancement for those who rise to challenges and deliver results. Clear priorities and goals. The industry has great growth prospects.

Cons

High employeee turnover needs to be addressed.

Advice to Management

Find ways to reduce turnover and improve morale. This company could be great if it solved those problems.

"A challenging -- some good, some not so good -- place to work."

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager. in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager. in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Commitment to product quality. The talented people one gets to interact with. Company is on cutting edge of the category's emerging technologies.

Cons

Clueless HR department. Yes... turnover IS a problem! How can a company have continuity if there is a revolving door for the professional staffs.

Advice to Management

Communicate goals, objectives and priorities. Create opportunites for open and honest feedback. Remove fear that the messenger of the honest message will be shot. Staff HR leadership with professionals who can work with functional areas to address the real issues facing line managers.

"good job, good product"

Current Employee - Technician in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Technician in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Professional and respectful environment. Goals and expectations are clearly articulated. Most of the people are decent to work and hang out with. Good short term employment but not a lot of long term opportunity. Opportunity to learn and apply skills but the company seems to go through a lot of employees very quickly. This company had a reputation for taking care of it'e employees by creating a "family" atmoshphere. This does not seem to apply in the current work environment. The expectations are high but the loyalty of the company to the employee seems fleeeting. I still recommend this company. Especially if you are in the early stages of your career- for learning opportunities.

Cons

Poor job security; good short term employment but not a lot of long term opportunity.

Advice to Management

Look to creat job security and create long term opportunities for employee development. A sense of security will foster loyalty to the company and product.