Rain Bird Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Anthony LaFetra

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay but throw out your MBA (in 28 reviews)

• Great coworkers, quality products, and a well-known brand (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Negativity from some staff members, lack of communication from senior management down the line and some uninspiring work spaces are cons (in 32 reviews)

• Upper management really, really sucks and puts you in a figurative sleeper hold (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Compensation
    Engaging & Rewarding Work
    Top Notch Employees/Coworkers

Cons

Private company, so information sharing is minimal. This is not necessarily a con, just a different setting than most people are used to.

2. "Principal Engineer"

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time

Pros

Good pay, high pressure and growing

Cons

Not for long term career advancement

3. "The job, work schedule, and location are great. Opportunity for advancement."

Pros

Advancement opportunities, work schedule, good insurance, job location, open door policy,

Cons

Disorganized, Favoritism, Work to long as a Temp, No Overtime,

Advice to Management

There needs to be equal opportunity when it comes to getting hired. Understand that when you show Favoritism to certain employees, it causes a lack of effort in other employees.

4. "Engineering at Rain Bird"

Pros

Competitive with plenty of opertunity to advance

Cons

Fear based culture. Highly controlling

"Dont Take this Detour, It is a Cliff."

Former Employee - Contractor Account Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Contractor Account Manager in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Rain Bird (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers. They will offer you the realities of the company once you establish friendships. The advice will be good. You will be told to get out.

Cons

I will never forget my manager who said I was doing a great sales job, tell me I needed to look for a new job because management wanted me out. "you need to get out as quickly as you can, I cannot stop this. I am sorry". I had heard this happened to a lot of folks, and now I was under the gun.
    How is that for a company? Directors determining who stays and goes? Non performance based. So many told to pack it in. Had nothing to do with performance. Many good sales people fired.

Advice to Management

You have got to get real here. What a place. Lost company. You are losing a lot of folks to Hunter (competitor), what does that tell you. Those of you interested in irrigation, catch on with Hunter. outstanding culture that "gets it".

6. "Engineering technician"

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If it wasn't for my boss I wouldn't have lasted 6 months. Above average pay though

Cons

This place is very very political. There is a ton of red tape and a ton of paperwork. Everyone is treated like they expendable

Advice to Management

Do yourselves a favor and treat the people of value with some respect. Keep you're good employees around. Hey rid of the contract crap

"Bizarre and twisted place where ineptitude succed delivering false perception to management"

Current Employee - Retail in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Retail in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Market leader, great products, great place for learning the DONT'S in a company

Cons

There is a secret and systematic pact like of "Play Along" I'll hide your mistakes if you hide mines pact for when a group of people is questioned about what went wrong that keeps the management in a world of wonders totally disconnected of the reality of their operations, talent eventually find another place so the company is ruled by poor performers

Advice to Management

Tony LaFetra, just make Rainbird a public offering NOW, if you care a little bit about your ancestors legacy(some of your ancestors did it great and US government military keeping the low cost manufacturing overseas condition for American companies are the only reasons of you not running out of business) admit your incompetence and let a group of experts stop all the bleeding, I know you have no idea(due to living too large) of how much money you are losing, ***Hint: just take a sneak peak to your deductions for retail. Bunch of incompetents you have there with few exceptions, good people goes away.

8. "Project Engineer"

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time

Pros

Good environment , good pay ,

Cons

Not much internal promotion ,

Advice to Management

Need to improve the internal moves , promotions , and more compensation or benefits

"Room for improvement at Rainbird"

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very stable, established company. Lots of procedures for getting things done. Very willing to invest in new tools and training. Great place to work if you like the status quo.

Cons

Ultra conservative company. Lots of red tape as a result of all the procedures. Aging employee base, does not hire young and energetic people. Primarily because they are always looks for very experienced people. However, in doing so they miss on new, fresh ideas from younger people.

Benefits are average at best. Only 2 week vacations per year for starting employees and 9 observed company holidays.

Advice to Management

Hire younger employees and don't be afraid to change the way things are done. Improve employee benefits.

"Can all the reviews be wrong? Don't bet your career on it."

Former Employee - Product Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about Rain Bird is the quality of people hired. It is tough to get in, but very easy to be forced to leave.

Cons

Just read the rest of the reviews. The only input I can add is my review of the various areas of the company.

President - proud to be an employee for over 50, yes I said 50, years. This should give you an indication of the appetite for change.

Vice President - if you think you can outlast the President, the VP is next in line. He is the Pres with less personality. He reads his speeches off a Word document he created, word for word...Ron Burgundy?

CFO - this guy would not be there if he had not married into the family. Probably the only one with job security.

HR - Does not believe there is a culture problem, but a people problem. Bonus plans for HR managers are set up around improvements in Rain Bird online reviews. Then they are fired when the reviews do not change. Huh?

Commercial/Golf - The controller products are woefully outdated and the main focus is fixing quality problems that do not exist…except in the mind of the owner.

Consumer Products-- the definition of clueless. More flowers on packaging is innovation. Let's not develop more products, let's upgrade the packaging to try and show we know what we're doing.

Contractor is the best of the worst.

Controls - The product design and manufacturing are 10 years behind the technology curve. The Bird could not develop a new electronic product without 5 consultants.

For some reason Quality and the Distribution Centers report through this division as well. Both are worse for it. Just ask about the warehouse move in Alabama if you want a horror story of ineffective leadership. In the wake are an incoherent electronic strategy and a pile of bodies that have been sacrificed to move this division backwards.

Extrusion and manufacturing expect $10/hr temps in Alabama and Arizona to produce the same quality as $2.35/hr Mexican Nationals in Tijuana. Based on the last few years, it is hard to tell which option is worse. However it seems like both are crashing and are they more focused on eliminating vendors, because that is the biggest problem, right?

Landscape Drip's success is at the mercy of extrusion. See above.

The quality department doesn't understand statistics nor Six Sigma. All are tortured at a meeting called the Quality Council or "the Inquisition" about why quality levels and returns are not at Toyota levels. What you will not hear in the interview is that you do not have the ability to make a change that will positively affect product quality. You will be challenged about the validity of a solution because they know better. The entire manufacturing arm of the company implodes waiting on quality to make a decision. Ask anyone you talk to if a direct approval for anything other than budgets has ever been given.. Based on the review, I think you can infer the answer.

There are a few areas like the Systems Group, the Test Lab and the Fun Committee.

However, their contributions are not worth mentioning here. These are the groups that will determine your fate at the Bird. Don't say you were not warned.

Advice to Management

Everything is fine, just ask HR