Rainforest QA Reviews | Glassdoor

Rainforest QA Reviews

Updated Aug 8, 2019

Found 53 reviews

3.2
Rainforest QA CEO Fred Stevens-Smith (no image)
Fred Stevens-Smith
Pros
  • "We have a no BS culture and people here take pride in being themselves while always looking out for each other and the company(in 5 reviews)

• "Always Be Caring, and Weirdly Passionate(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Rainforest has been scrambling recently(in 9 reviews)

• "(in 3 reviews)

"Regaining momentum"

Current Employee - Customer Success in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rainforest QA full-time for more than a year

Pros

After a big change a few months ago, the company is regaining momentum towards goals. In some ways, it's an even more exciting company than before. Great support from other team members Effective and supportive leadership Good culture Clear goals

Cons

Some elements of the business is still not fully recovered from the change a few months ago, just need more time.

Rainforest QA2019-08-08
  2. "Had great talent that has since left"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Rainforest QA full-time

Pros

flexible hours, office space is nice, catered lunch

Cons

early start, product isn't all the way there

Rainforest QA2019-08-06

"Has potential"

Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Rainforest QA full-time

Pros

Rainforest has a lot of great qualities. They offer remote work, up to date technology, training opportunties. The pay wasn't great, but it was fine. The employee base was also truly exceptional. Getting to work with such a great group of people was the biggest win.

Cons

Rainforest has potential to be an incredible company, but this will not happen under current management. The most mature action would be for the CEO to step into an advisory or COO role and hire a seasoned CEO to manage product growth and market fit. They have reached a point where they're putting the company second to their ego and it's a shame to see.

Rainforest QA2019-07-02

"It's a startup, not the end of the world"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rainforest QA full-time for less than a year

Pros

At this point this is like working at an early stage company, so there is flexibility and a huge opportunity if they get it right. There is a really talented group of people to work with, management aside. Leadership will risk everything to win. You also get taken care of if you are laid off. Remote culture, you don't have to show up to the office.

Cons

Company is not doing too well and had to downsize. Most leaders are inexperienced. The core business is at risk. Hard to take leadership seriously, their actions and words don't match up. Compensation is pretty subpar for the stage.

Advice to Management

Double down on True Coverage

Rainforest QA2019-05-22

"Exciting time!!"

I have been working at Rainforest QA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity - The market opportunity is enormous. As software takes over the world, the need for QA will only expand. It is very exciting to be part of a team that solves this problem in a unique way. Product - It's great to see that the team continues to innovate on the product. We're at the verge of rolling out a game changer that'll solve this problem in a way no one has ever done before - combination of human... and automation. Super exciting time! Culture - This is the part I like most about this company. Everyone works as a team together, there is no finger-pointing, everyone is here to make the company successful. It feels great to be part of a team like this, it makes me want to come to work everyday!

Cons

Like other startups I worked at before, the company is going through constant changes. Sometimes these changes can be painful if you're not expecting them. For those energized by changes and new opportunities, this is a great place. For those who want a stable environment where you can do the same thing for a long time, this might not be the right place.

Advice to Management

As you drive changes, bring the company along. Many of us are excited about the changes you're making, keep us up-to-date on what you're thinking and tell us how we can be part of this exciting journey.

Rainforest QA2019-03-31

April 29, 2019CEO

Thank you for your input! Completely agree with you, like any startup we're constantly changing and experimenting and this means that we're not stable enough for many folks. Historically we haven't done a good enough job on being explicit about this during our recruitment process, ...

"Time at Rainforest"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rainforest QA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great product, culture, values and camaraderie. The company is working diligently to enhance their processes, product offerings, and adapting/delivering what the market is looking for. Have great co-founders that care passionately about the company, the product, and people.

Cons

Going through growing pains so there have been some challenges/hurdles, but with direction from leadership and buy in from the employees, the company is set up for greatness!

Rainforest QA2019-03-27

April 29, 2019CEO

Really appreciate your support, and totally agreed - we need to get world-class at communication in order to succeed.

"Great place to learn and try new things"

I have been working at Rainforest QA full-time

Pros

Sharp people, great culture, free lunch, product roadmap, experimentation is encouraged

Cons

There has a been a lot of change recently that has taken some adjusting to. That said the changes were necessary and have put the company back on track.

Advice to Management

Get buy in before major changes are being made from the ICs. Nail it and then scale it.

Rainforest QA2019-04-09

April 29, 2019CEO

Thanks for the feedback! Excited to do this together.

"Great Startup to Work For!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rainforest QA full-time for less than a year

Pros

· Passionate smart people · Good pay · Seasoned Executives that are committed to supporting company and employee growth · Provide an abundant amount of channels for employees to share feedback and impact company strategy and change · Cultural fun: outings, free lunch, companywide outings, remote working, team off-sites, fun contests and prizes, etc.

Cons

· Sharing metrics down to individual levels vs. rolled up teams · Limited number of employees who are not ok with the ups and downs of a startup

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employee feedback, provide updates that help individuals see how they personally are impacting the business, and know you’re appreciated! Startup’s are not easy but overall Rainforest QA has a great product and wonderful people; it's primed to succeed!

Rainforest QA2019-04-08

April 29, 2019CEO

Thanks for your commitment to our mission - totally agree on the pros and cons.

"An incredible story of failure unfolding before our eyes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Rainforest QA full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can work from home. Good opportunities to travel on company's dime and hang out/party/drink with the team! Most of the team is really sweet.

Cons

The company is literally imploding as we speak! But the founder is more and more delusional... Most employees were let go last week, and that's after the founder said runway was solid. Investor money is being lit on fire. Trips, fancy dinners, marketing events all posted publicly on Instagram! Employees recruited only to be let go with severance days and weeks after. The company even ran a campaign to show ads... at bus stops all over SF just to stroke the CRO's ego (he went from Zenefits *kaboom* to Rainforest *kaboom* and is now at Brex). The product does not work. It costs like $100 thousand/year and nobody really uses it. Maybe it worked someday way before they jacked up the price to make revenue go up to close a round, but today it's no good. All of this is public info, just connect the dots.

Advice to Management

Just shut down the company!

Rainforest QA2019-05-14

May 20, 2019CEO

Hi, on a personal level I am truly sorry that you were affected by the business decision. Startups are hard, and we’ve definitely made our share of mistakes. While I factually disagree with your assertions, there’s not much point getting into that here. I hope that you find an amazing ...

"Sad to see what has become of this company"

I have been working at Rainforest QA full-time

Pros

1. Great people to work alongside 2. Pretty good startup perks (lunch, commuter expense, etc) 3. Cool office and location

Cons

Where do I begin... the last 6 months have been a disaster. Major players in the company have left and morale could not be lower as we continue to massively miss our numbers. From what I can see, the sales team (what is left of them) is struggling due to the mistakes of previous management and our exec team. The CEO has always disliked salespeople and his mentality that they are expendable has completely destroyed... what was once a killer part of the org. Marketing has been missing their mark consistently month over month for as long as the company has been around. Teams are leaving the company in droves across CS, PS, Sales, and I am sure it will start spreading to other parts of the business. It is sad to see what a company with a lot of potential has come to due to poor management.

Advice to Management

I am not sure how to fix morale, but my guess is that we are reaching a point of no return. Continue to listen to feedback from employees and start getting rid of the people that aren't contributing. It is unfortunate to see that the company has lost so many of its top talent contributors but retained many of the ones that aren't bringing much to the table.

Rainforest QA2019-05-08

May 9, 2019CEO

Hi, appreciate your passion for the company, and thanks for the feedback.

Found 53 reviews