Rakuten Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tony Zito

Pros
  • Great boss, great benefits, excellent work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Free lunch on Fridays and sometimes Monday's (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I came from non-profit and felt more satisfaction in my work there, but that's not a reflection on Rakuten Marketing (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management changes missions almost yearly, and there is friction b/w business units that shouldn't exist (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We have the best CEO! He has an open door policy, very down to earth, and truly cares about people.

Cons

None at the present time.

Advice to Management

Help mentor employees on career path.

2. "Pave your own path!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I wanted to jump online and add a quick/brief review of my experience at Rakuten Marketing. I have worked for the company for over 4 years, and have been able to guide my career in the direction that best benefits me. The company has always been done a great job of supporting people who deliver and its great to be able to use that to your advantage!

I browsed through a few of the reviews prior to deciding to post, and would like to make a point about sealing your own fate. Many of the people who have left the company, were simply not the right fit (based on my experience in the SLC office). They lacked the drive to learn and believed that their prior experience was superior enough to get them through. Ad Tech is a fast, evolving industry and to keep up, you have to be on top of your game. The review titled 'Good Riddance' came from a prior Sales Representative who struggled within the industry, and the company. Due to this, he had a bad experience with other knowledgable employees who tried to guide him in what they believed was a better direction. (Note* I work in a department that does not interact with Sales, so my opinion is neutral).

The company has great benefits, and supports you when you need flexibility. You'll often be fed, taken out and flown about to events both nationally and internationally.

My advice - If you are a person who is naturally driven, likes a challenge and can be trusted to exceed the goals you are set, then this company will work great for you. If you thrive in an environment where you need guidance and the stability of a slow industry then perhaps it is not for you.

Cons

There are growing pains! Rakuten Marketing consists of 5 or 6 Ad Tech companies, all with different offerings. Anytime you try to merge like this, it will be a bumpy path.

Salary bumps are beginning to slow down due to growth of company and some under performing employees

Communication needs to improve between ALL offices.

Advice to Management

Training - We all need training and support to learn further! Our company only exists if our clients exist, so start at the bottom and improve your quality of sales by finding the right guys who can offer clients the right deals. We also have great account services teams - be sure you are compensating them accordingly and supporting them where they need it. Their performance is integral to our attrition rate. The engineers at the company are fantastic - their ability to adapt to each project and the demands that comes through is impressive. Don't forget that they too want to continue learning. Make sure you have their backs so they are able to educate themselves further on new technologies etc.

"Non-client facing employees beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my coworkers were great and I've met a few life-long friends during my time at Rakuten.
    "Drinkshare" the once-a-week happy hour at the bar right in the office was a nice perk. It was a great way to get to know coworkers who you would otherwise have minimal contact with.
    Some focus on employee happiness - although initiatives to improve this are usually too ambitious and get forgotten about too quickly .
    Office parties were always creative and a lot of fun. Most people take part in them and its another great way to bond with colleagues.
    The once a week All Company Meeting (ACM) was a great platform to keep the whole company in the know about how we're doing. However, more information could have been shared in a more engaging way.

Cons

Little visibility between management and lower-level employees. Therefore, little upward mobility can be expected when yourboss has no idea what you've been working on or what improvements you've made unless you shout it from the top of your lungs.
    VERY little focus on supporting departments. Unless you're on the client services team, don't expect to get included in any company events, such as Symposium or Off-site. Events like this should be open to more teams to build trust and equality between the departments - and not to mention help educate us on the industry itself. It's hard to motivate yourself or your team to work to better the company if you feel excluded from it.

Advice to Management

Train managers to not only be experts in their area, but also good managers in general. Improvement is hindered when your manager doesn't know how to manage.
    Work on COMMUNICATION. Keep your employees in the know about any company changes that could seriously change or threaten their jobs. Don't wait to the last minute to tell your employees that leadership could be moving across the country or an office might be downsizing.
    Do more to keep your employees for the long haul. Some people have been around since the company's inception, however, turnover is high for a large majority of the positions. Take care of your supporting teams - accounting, finance, legal, etc. are all important, too. Assure them of that - always.

5. "Write your own destiny"

Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Write your own destiny. Opportunity to grow, advance, or even just move around in the company (and world). If you're not happy, the company would rather move you around internally than lose you. You have autonomy.
    Intelligent, energetic, interesting and fun coworkers. Some of the best people I have ever met in my long career.
    Interesting and challenging work and technology.
    Emphasis on work/life balance
    Great benefits
    Investments in training and growth
    Amazing culture. Catered meals, social events, company meetings, free food/snacks/soda fountain, ping-pong, foosball, charity and community participation. The list goes on and on.

Cons

Company as a whole consists of several companies (channels) that were acquired/merged but not effectively integrated resulting in an organization that is not efficient and has cliques with awkward rivalries.
    Recent rough patch is causing some stress.
    Unclear or missing strong vision and strategy from the top.

Advice to Management

Communicate vision and strategy more openly and clearly so the people executing can understand context and motivations.
    Focus on a reasonable integration strategy. In a very short period of time, we went from virtually ignoring integrating the channels to trying to integrate them at a furious and reckless pace, which has resulted in even more harm.
    Stop acquiring companies and instead invest within. Trust your people to advance and grow the company and its product.

Apr 27, 2017 – Manager, Talent

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We certainly value your feedback and are happy to see all that you enjoy about Rakuten Marketing . We value the information you provided as we are ... More

"Nothing as expected"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- People mention the food that is provided throughout the week as a great thing, come on, is that really something that makes up a company?
    - Some good people to work with
    - Some schedule flexibility when an employee has an issue
    - Mostly the same perks that other tech driven companies offer

Cons

- Poor and inefficient hiring process, managers settle for candidates that don't have the necessary experience due to lack of time to interview but also because managers lack people management experience.
    - Terrible employee on-boarding and training process
    - No stock incentive
    - Low salaries, not competitive at all, small teams hence slim chances of moving up
    - Promotion of employees that under perform or barely meet expectations
    - Terrible communication among teams internally
    - Too many people in upper management, too many directors that perform poorly at that level
    - Too many clients that leave after short campaigns and never pay their bills
    - Too many account managers and account executives with a lot free time on their hands spending time out of their desks who knows doing what, the place looks like an empty stadium on Fridays.

Advice to Management

Hire best managers, in particular managers that have a strong background in people management. Act swiftly when notified of issues and communicate better with your teams. Understand the operations from end to end. Just because you are in upper management doesn't mean you are unreachable.

"Avoid at all costs-I am leaving ASAP"

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people, food at times

Cons

I do not wish to spend 30 minutes writing all the issues. Just trust me, it is not the place for you. Company in great decline. Management tells the story that things are great, when things clearly are not. So many people are unhappy, including clients. Ton of layoffs and also heard bunch of sales guys left. No opportunity. No differentiation in the market.

Advice to Management

Arrogance and greed are destroying the company. Value your employees. The product and its integration with all the acquisitions is a failure. Margins are way too high. Compensation is no longer an advantage. Lack of direction. Boat floating in the ocean with no rudder. Read between the lines.

Apr 27, 2017 – Manager, Talent

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are sorry to hear that your experience with Rakuten Marketing did not meet your expectations. We do appreciate and value your feedback and we ... More

"Good Riddance"

Former Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've never worked with a greater group of coworkers. Many have turned into some of my best friends.
    Benefits (especially health insurance) are phenomenal
    Monday breakfasts, Wednesday & Friday lunches
    Nice office location

Cons

God grief, where do I start? Extremely top heavy organization with TONS of churn (employees and clients). Here are a few of the top reasons you won't want to touch this company with a 10 foot stick, especially if you're in sales.

1. Rakuten Marketing (RM) has the worst client attrition of any company I've ever worked for. You'll be told that it's more a product of the industry or the way you're selling your deals (sales is always blamed) but rarely will you hear upper management, or the Customer Success/Optimization teams take responsibility for the amount of clients they lose. Be prepared to work 6 months to close a deal, another 3 months to launch the campaign, another 60 days after it launches to actually get paid...only to have the client give you the middle finger and leave for a competitor just as you're commission starts building.

2. Speaking of compensation, the new comp plan released this year (yep, it changes annually) requires a PHD to understand. When RM has to purchase a 3rd party Salesforce software to calculate your commissions and how you're pacing on your quota, and that software ends up not being able to actually work with all the contingencies and exceptions written into the plan, its a good sign the plan is designed to fail. This is the third compensation plan I've had since starting at RM, every single plan has taken money out of my pocket or made it more difficult to make money.

3. Furthermore, comp plans at RM are just pipe dreams and everyone knows it. OTE's and "realistic earnings" at RM are just fancy dreams thrown around that don't actually carry any weight. You'll need to take them with a grain of salt and understand they are BEST CASE SCENARIO. Unfortunately, the norm at RM is WORST CASE SCENARIO. This CS rep drops the ball here, that media buyer drives margins into the ground there, this client doesn't believe our reporting, that client can't get tags installed, on and on and on. The amount of variables that play into your pay AFTER you do your job selling a deal is mind boggling and straight up crippling to your earning potential.

4. Perhaps the most insulting part of your experience at RM will be the mysterious "law" that upper management and HR cooked up that requires you to clock in/out. On top of this cumbersome and insulting policy will be the instability in pay period hours, salary check amounts, pay dates, HR systems, etc. Your salary should be the most stable part of your job, a set amount of money paid out on a set group of dates to cover very fixed personal expenses. When your employer starts messing with this as often and in such frustrating ways as RM, it causes serious issues (finance issues, morale issues, etc). You will, for all intents and purposes, be an hourly employee at RM. Chances are you'll feel the same way as I did: I worked too hard and accomplished too much in my career for my company to levy such a petty and disrespectful policy simply because upper management doesn't trust the sales team.

5. Between how independently and selfishly each department operates, and with how many companies RM has acquired, you'll find RM employees to be extremely uncooperative outside of the immediate department they work in. To the point where it was impossible to complete mundane tasks without facing immense and stifling opposition. It has been the greatest mystery of my professional career that personalities as angry, impatient, selfish, greedy, hostile, unfriendly, antagonistic, and intimidating actually exist and thrive in RM's culture (mostly on the Media Buying, Ad-ops, and CS team). I can't count the amount of times I was belittled, disrespected, or blacklisted by an entire team if I came across as new, needy, inexperienced, or if I sold a deal that wasn't do-it-in-your-sleep easy to fulfill. And I was a top performer, imagine how the struggling AE's are treated. Most of the companies I've worked for reprimanded these personalities and in many cases let them go. At RM, they're rewarded and promoted.

6. Putting personalities aside, you'll find very few clients who actually feel like the level of service, knowledge, and skill from their client team is up to par. Each team has their own metrics they care about, and aligning those metrics with the client’s expectations isn’t a thought that seems to cross anyone’s mind at RM. As a sales person, if you care at all about your commission or saving face with your clients you'll have to essentially manage every part of the post-sales process (which isn't actually in your job description). From Account Managers playing video games during client kick-off calls to Media Buyers straight up forgetting to launch campaigns and using questionable (read: dishonest) buying methods, it’s considered just plain stupid on the sales team to not manage every step of every process of every one of your clients, even far beyond where the sales job should be (and technically is by a job description) finished.

7. Last but certainly not least, it is common knowledge and a shared sentiment among the sales team that upper management does not have your back. In fact, the relationship sales has with most departments/teams at RM and especially upper management is contentious at best. Its a hostile environment when sales' budget rolls up to a GM who seems to be bent on ridding his company of any decent sales talent.

Advice to Management

Good luck trying to recruit top sales talent after telling them 90% of the current sales team MISSES annual quota.

Good luck trying to recruit top sales talent after telling them the Christmas bag you handed out to employees last year consisted of old and discontinued Trade Show tchotchkes from the storage closet and an unmarked bag of almonds.

Good luck trying to recruit top sales talent after telling them that, for the first time in perhaps their adult careers, they'll have to clock in and out to get paid.

Good luck trying to recruit top sales talent after telling them that their ability to make money and earn commissions is completely in the hands of two teams (CS & Opt) who systemically despise the sales team.

In light of the glowing reviews from sales professionals all over the valley at cutting-edge tech companies, it won’t be a difficult decision for top tier talent to completely overlook Rakuten Marketing.

"Favorite Place to Work"

Current Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time

Pros

All the new shiny tech to work on. Adtech changes so fast that there's always a load of new design and development work. Business management has seriously invested in tech so there's not a giant amount of tech debt that has accrued over time. Great tech management--they're kind and knowledgable. Fun work environment. Some real ping pong geniuses. All the things.

Cons

The normal job stuff. There are personalities and people with strong opinions to manage. Raises are never what you hope, that kind of stuff.

Advice to Management

CEO is an adtech industry veteran who has been nimble and aware enough to guide the business through huge changes. He cares about people, will talk to anyone, and is transparent about the business strategy. So, not a lot of advice for them. Mgmt is doing a great job.

Feb 17, 2017 – Manager, Talent

Thank you for your feedback! We’re happy to hear that your experience at Rakuten Marketing has been a positive one! I agree that our industry is always changing, which makes it incredible exciting ... More

"Wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Creative Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Creative Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, great team, flexible schedule, great health and 401k, team and company lunches.

Cons

communication between departments can be better. And a clear outline to what is sold to the client and communicated back to creative is getting better.

Feb 17, 2017 – Manager, Talent

Thank you for your review! I’m glad to hear your experience with your team in the SLC office has been a positive one. I agree that we offer great benefits here and do value the information you ... More

"Wonderful Coworkers - Awful Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at Rakuten Marketing for about 3 years and I stayed so long because of my coworkers. These people are some of the best in the industry - also really awesome people. The company also provides decent benefits and snacks every day. Drinkshare happy hour every Thursday.

Cons

Management is terrible. They do not care about the people actually doing the day-to-day hard work. The pay is well below market value. Don't expect to get a promotion or raise even when you deserve it because the company is trying to cut costs. Lower level employees are hourly at very low base salaries, but are eligible for overtime. Don't expect overtime without a fight.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees. If you want to keep the great talent around, start appreciating and compensating them accordingly.

Mar 15, 2017 – Manager, Talent

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We certainly value your feedback and are happy to hear that you have enjoyed working with your fellow employees. We are sorry to hear that some of ... More