Rakuten Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Stuart Simms
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Perks & holiday time were supportive of work/life balance" (in 18 reviews)

• "Work as Rakuten employer, so that benefit for free lunch and compensations" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Rakuten Marketing consists of 5 or 6 Ad Tech companies, all with different offerings" (in 12 reviews)

• "There is a high turnover rate due to employee dissatisfaction and ability of staff to find better opportunities elsewhere" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Data Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) Awesome culture thanks to our amazing office manager
    2) Great benefits, lots of vacation time you can actually use, not like what I'd imaging a place with Unlimited PTO would be like
    3) Great quarterly parties
    4) My management so far has been extremely hands off, giving direction but I'm on my own

Cons

After being acquired we are getting a little more corporate feel, but nothing major

"At least they are trying"

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are great people who work at Rakuten Marketing.
    The culture is very established with tons of fun events.
    The company has the backing of a much larger parent company who invests quite a bit into data science and sponsors well-known sports teams.
    Since there are so many changes, a new person can perform just as well if not better than someone who has been here a while.
    They got rid of a lot of the underperforming employees and did a total re-org. This pros part is most of the employees are team players now. The cons part of this is that some of the worst people are put in even more powerful positions.
    Great parental leave (four months) for any new parent including fathers and domestic partners. ++++

Cons

Upper management does not work in sync and is leading the company in different directions. Chaotic and confusing.
    Any new thing we try to roll out as a company starts out as an idea without any research and then becomes a huge project without proving demand. It would be better to focus our efforts on things that our customers actually want.
    There is so much change each month that nothing is ever carried through thoroughly and expectations change frequently without notice.
    The culture coming from the parent company can sometimes clash with a more progressive US culture. One symptom of this is mostly males put in the most senior executive positions.
    Many new people in mid management fresh from consulting companies with no management experience trying to fix things, which is a good effort, but the result is things that don’t actually translate to the real world or weeks of wasted work trying to implement something new that doesn’t actually stick or is completely useless.
    Lack of accountability in general.
    Difficulty recruiting top talent. This could be a pro for some as mediocre performers can really shine.

Advice to Management

Get your stories and priorities straight between yourselves before going to clients with them or trying to roll them out internally.

"Don’t let the positive reviews fool you..."

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are some of the best in the industry and the work/life balance is great. Everyone at the day-to-day level of the organization is willing lend a helping hand.

Cons

-Leadership is almost all completely new to the organization and they are driving our core business (affiliate marketing) into the ground. They aren’t connected to the day-to-day and are not dialed in to our employees’ and clients needs.
    -Every office and every team have a completely different vibe, culture, and rules which makes the orginazation very disjointed.
    -Benefits are okay at best. We have free breakfasts and lunches once per week to help try and cover up for low wages, lack of summer hours, and long promotion windows.
    -Promotions are almost always solely political

Advice to Management

Promote within and recognize your high performing individuals. Give people a chance who raise their hand and pay them for their time and dedication to the company. There are many individuals who have been with the company 5+ years, who have been very dedicated to the company, but some random stock options here and there won’t keeo everyone around for very long. Pay them what they’re worth.

"I found a home at Rakuten"

Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Rakuten Marketing (More than 3 years)

Pros

Access to leadership
    Feeling like you have an influence on the success of the company
    Adequate reward for performance
    Perks & holiday time were supportive of work/life balance
    Constantly watching the company improve

Cons

Salaries for San Francisco Bay Area were not nearly competitive and made quality of life hard to maintain

Advice to Management

If you want Bay Area talent, you have to pay Bay Area wages.

"Great Culture and Room To Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Management recognizes and rewards drive/initiative/contributions

-Wonderful office culture with great perks (catered food, work from home options, lots of PTO)

-Solid upwards advancement opportunities, or horizontal shifts to try out different roles

Cons

-Lots of shifts in company direction/goals. Creates some uncertainty and nervousness, but overall not much of a con

"#1 With A Bullet"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work from home arrangements
    Stock options for all employees
    Four months parental leave
    Catered breakfasts and lunches (days vary by office location)
    Free snacks and free drinks galore
    Quarterly parties
    Numerous company-sponsored outings
    Company sponsored sports teams
    In-office happy hours that are fully equipped with bar and bartender
    No dress code
    Top shelf benefits
    Generous 401k matching
    Very relaxed environment
    The people (guffaw) are incredible, fun, loyal and many here have made life-long friends
    The culture fosters creativity, independence and encourages growth
    Rakuten is now FC Barcelona's sponsor which will have major impact for brand recognition
    Rakuten is also the Golden Gate Warriors sponsor
    Offices in sought-after locales such as NYC, San Mateo, London, Chicago, Sydney, Brighton, SLC with flexibility to travel and/or relocate.

Endless Tampons and pads for the ladies.

Wishlist gifts to celebrate anniversaries.
    Summer days (summer scheduling flexibility)
    Etc...etc...

The interdepartmental teams are seasoned professional and keep things running smoothly. Where certain sales and account management people are a bit "green" the HR, legal, finance, facilities, tech and operations teams are consummate professionals

The CEO is fantastic. He's approachable, honest, consistent and charismatic

There's upward mobility and an open door policy for any c-level executive. Having access to the c-suite at any time for mentoring is priceless and plentiful. I'm using c-suite as a figure of speech. The floor plans are flat and open and in any of our offices you'll be sitting right next to CEO, COO, CFO, etc

You can go to business school and still not pay for the level of mentoring you'll receive just by sitting and having lunch with one of the execs

Cons

Sales and account management hires are often straight out of college or have limited work experience. This places a generous burden on colleagues and team leaders to train for the basics.

The company's direction changes often and swiftly due to acquisitions. What was once an affiliate marketing company then became an omni company, having acquired Search, Display, metrics (measured success), social media marketing and AI. The industry is ever-changing and thus the company must pivot to remain fresh and relevant but often the directives are murky and the support staff (HR, legal, finance, tech and operations) are not well equipped to support the new initiatives due to lack of lead-in time or resources

Advice to Management

Having worked at companies with brand recognition on par with Facebook, Apple & Google, I can say unequivocally that every place has its challenges. Rakuten Marketing seriously values its people. This is a great place to be if you can get in.

Rakuten Marketing: come for the competitive salary. Stay for the incredible Co-workers, growth and knowledge opportunities.

Update: Since Stuart Simms was appointed CEO there’s been a marked change in: morale, direction, identity, roles and responsibilities. People now have a direction in which to proceed and this is motivating teams. Collaboration is up. Energy is invigorating and people are generally excited to work at Rakuten Marketing again!!

"High technology"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am working on the adtech that deal with almost all the last big data technologies.
    A lot of freedom if you make you delivery in due date and without bugs
    Very comprehensive managers with strong projects in process
    Good foods !

Cons

Big company , with big process
    All the coworkers dont have the same skills
    Some team are inefficient

Advice to Management

My direct manager are very good from +1 to +3

"Great Culture, Great Potential"

Current Employee - Director in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Director in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture
    New Leadership's Vision
    Entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged
    Flexibility to grow and expand

Cons

So much going on it is hard to keep up sometimes

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - over-communicate.

"Rakuten Marketing - Great place to work"

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People succeed here if they want to. People who give poor reviews of this company are either:
    1. Not willing to figure out how to do the job correctly so they will never succeed anywhere they go or
    2. An individual who will never be happy at any company because the company will never be doing enough for them.
    I left Rakuten Marketing for a little bit of time and then came back. I was in the second group of individuals. After seeing how other employers treated their employees, I was thrilled when Rakuten asked if I’d come back. This is a great place to work and if you can succeed here, you can succeed in any large corporation.

Cons

Most cons are similar to what you see across all Ad Tech, you have a lot of change and almost consistent learning that then needs to be unlearned as you learn something else new.
    The particular office I work in can be negative towards other employees(specifically in other locations). It can create a toxic environment of negativity and cultivates animosity towards certain individuals in the other offices.

Advice to Management

Try nipping the negative talk of others teams in the bud. Nipping in the bud may be the wrong phrase since it is already so entrenched. It’s more of helping the company make an about face.

"add affiliate"

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Quincy, WA
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Quincy, WA

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the hours of course arent anything to grin at,they also have a wide range of partnered companies to choose,or be chosen by,plusgreat Team.

Cons

the hours of course. ha

Advice to Management

show more attention to your employees personally,this wil result in a greater e=work ethic.