Rakuten Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Tony Zito

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great boss, great benefits, excellent work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• There's something different every day of the week, whether it's company HH, free breakfast or free lunch (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • I came from non-profit and felt more satisfaction in my work there, but that's not a reflection on Rakuten Marketing (in 11 reviews)

• Salary is not competitive in SF or NY, the work can get mundane after awhile, high turnover rate for these reasons (in 6 reviews)

1. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a good company to work for in order to gain a lot of experience quickly. They are leaders in the affiliate marketing industry. They are adding additional products and marketing services consistently.

Cons

Jobs are limited in scope. Teams were somewhat siloed.

Advice to Management

Encourage cross team work. Have the affiliate, SEM, and display teams work as a single unit.

2. "Not so hot....."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Rakuten Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Has a great parent company with excellent culture and values, and with great projects as they are aiming at making their presence felt in the US.

Cons

Rakuten Marketing is the umbrella of several acquired US marketing companies and they are struggling in adapting to the culture and values of their parent company. Operational wise, my team was stuck in the past with obsolete processes and they kept inefficient people in the teams and even promoted them. Still very much to learn on having the right person in the right place or role. Leadership is inexperienced in laying people off and transferring tasks to a new team, they don't spend enough time planning and they don't allocate enough resources, however, they do have the cash to hire more C-level executives for such a small company.

"Never Again"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Rakuten Marketing (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are pretty good. Their dress code is pretty casual which is really nice.

Cons

This is one of the most inflexible jobs I've ever had. I worked there for less than a year, went on lunch less than 10 times because I was always overloaded. The one time I did go out to lunch, I was bombarded with phone calls from my boss demanding that I come back ASAP. I literally had to sprint back to take care of some BS request she gave me 0 notice on.
    The people here are EXTREMELY cliquey. Like, Mean Girls cliquey. Like, they actually wanted to dress up as the Mean Girls Clique for the Halloween office party. People barely talk to eachother in the break room because it's not the type of office environment where you get to know your colleagues. Your team makes zero effort at bonding outside of the office.
    For the time I worked there, they offered ZERO training. None. Nada. After four months, I had to reach out to HR and actually ask them if they could take time out of THEIR schedules to explain to us what it is all the sectors of our company do. No, your crappy online training doesn't count. Give us hands on experience and let us learn about it instead of a click-through presentation that HR put together with a voiceover.
    They tell you that you can build your own position and pave your own path, but it's the most bogus thing I have ever heard. I would avoid them at all cost and look elsewhere. The people there are not going to be your friends, you will hardly ever get out of the office, you'll work long hours and weekends, your management team doesn't care about you and aside from the "Happy Hour" where everybody stands in their little cliques, you won't get much entertainment out of the office.
    When I was considering relocating, they said it was not available. They did this for myself and another person in the office. Then they turned around and offered it to others on our teams. They also say that working from home is not an option, but it is a job that LITERALLY half of the staff does from home. It's BS. Don't tell us that we can't work from home when half of our managers and colleagues do on a daily basis. If you're going to offer the flexibility to some, you need to offer it to all.

Advice to Management

Implement a training system that allows new employees to meet one another and learn it is exactly what we do. Offer flexibility in relocation. You offer it to some- why not to others? Create a more open office environment- what needs to be revamped in order for people to start loving to come to work? A lot of the social media is very phony (I know, I used to be responsible for some of it.)

"Terrible."

Former Employee - Account Specialist
    Former Employee - Account Specialist

I worked at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can learn a lot about affiliate marketing (On your own, of course. No one there will teach you). If you're looking to gain knowledge of the affiliate industry and make connections with other companies but not looking for your "forever company" yet, this is the place for you. It's a stepping stone. Not a career.

Cons

The people who are managers do not know what they are doing. There is no formal training on the management of people, which is a very difficult thing to do. People expect promotions yearly and Rakuten has catered to that expectation, thus promoting people into management positions when they are completely not ready for the responsibility of developing others and helping with their career. It's sad, but this is the most lack of support I have ever experienced at a company.

This office is also very much like a sorority. Cliques are everywhere, if you decide to work here I suggest keeping your work and life VERY SEPARATE. Otherwise, your life will be talked about at work by others and judged- OFTEN.

This company cares about the perks. They will let you drink at work, plan extravagant parties.

They also pay very good salaries which warps people's views of what actual salaries for that position are. They pay well to keep you, because they know that's all they have to keep you. Salary, games and alcohol.

Advice to Management

Rakuten is a very successful company & they will continue to be successful in the digital marketing industry because they are a powerhouse that is buying up all the smaller companies. My advice for management is to invest more in your employees. By invest I don't mean buy them more alcohol or foosball tables. I mean invest in REAL training. Real management training, real training on how to motivate, develop & challenge employees.

Also, another piece of advice, stop glamorizing business travel and getting hammered. You're doing business travel wrong if all you look forward to is how much you can drink on the trip.

"Do Not Settle For Rakuten!"

Former Employee - Client Manager
    Former Employee - Client Manager

I worked at Rakuten Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very few, in the grand scheme, they are all surface level pros. The cons quickly take over, and defeat any pros

Cons

Too many to list. Just read the other various reviews that summarize it. Bottom line, management does not really know what they are doing, no long term vision, leadership is aloof, at best. They switch lanes on products, strategies, priorities for any given reason, and many times, unanounced so you just wake up to a whole new...bag of junk to deal with, quarterly? They hire and fire so many Sr. leaders, lost count. They attain "top talent" and have no idea how to apply their strategic thinking and expertise. Rakuten Marketing is, was and will be a mess, until key components and leadership is changed or are removed.

6. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, good people -- miss it there!

Cons

I wish I lived closer to the city.

"GREAT place to work!"

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free lunch, breakfast, work-life balance, lots of vacation days, summer days, office outings, happy hours and overall a place where you are treated like a grown up -- lots of autonomy. this is the 3rd employer I've ever worked at, and I've seen such amazing tenure in teams here. I love coming to work.

Cons

being dispersed across offices has its challenges, but overall, this is not a major con

8. "Good experience"

I have been working at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co workers, lots of big name brands as clients, stocked kitchen, fun conferences, usually not too understaffed (able to maintain work life balance), decent communication from Leadership

Cons

Promotions seem to be based on number of years with company, some lack of autonomy from Japan HQ

Advice to Management

try not to micromanage account teams

9. "A good place to work"

I worked at Rakuten Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Advancement is possible if you work hard in several positions. Lateral movement is also possible and the people there are great.

Cons

It's corporate, so the same limitations apply as opposed to startup mobility.

"Non-client facing employees beware"

I worked at Rakuten Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my coworkers were great and I've met a few life-long friends during my time at Rakuten.
    "Drinkshare" the once-a-week happy hour at the bar right in the office was a nice perk. It was a great way to get to know coworkers who you would otherwise have minimal contact with.
    Some focus on employee happiness - although initiatives to improve this are usually too ambitious and get forgotten about too quickly .
    Office parties were always creative and a lot of fun. Most people take part in them and its another great way to bond with colleagues.
    The once a week All Company Meeting (ACM) was a great platform to keep the whole company in the know about how we're doing. However, more information could have been shared in a more engaging way.

Cons

Little visibility between management and lower-level employees. Therefore, little upward mobility can be expected when yourboss has no idea what you've been working on or what improvements you've made unless you shout it from the top of your lungs.
    VERY little focus on supporting departments. Unless you're on the client services team, don't expect to get included in any company events, such as Symposium or Off-site. Events like this should be open to more teams to build trust and equality between the departments - and not to mention help educate us on the industry itself. It's hard to motivate yourself or your team to work to better the company if you feel excluded from it.

Advice to Management

Train managers to not only be experts in their area, but also good managers in general. Improvement is hindered when your manager doesn't know how to manage.
    Work on COMMUNICATION. Keep your employees in the know about any company changes that could seriously change or threaten their jobs. Don't wait to the last minute to tell your employees that leadership could be moving across the country or an office might be downsizing.
    Do more to keep your employees for the long haul. Some people have been around since the company's inception, however, turnover is high for a large majority of the positions. Take care of your supporting teams - accounting, finance, legal, etc. are all important, too. Assure them of that - always.