Rakuten Reviews | Glassdoor

Hiroshi Mikitani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Rakuten"

I have been working at Rakuten full-time

Pros

Autonomy, friendly co-workers, good work-life balance

Cons

HR is a disaster and company is too big and uncoordinated at the moment

Advice to Management

Stop acquiring new companies every five minutes and consolidate what you have

"Black hole for your career"

Former Employee - Business Development in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Rakuten full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There seems to be serious commitment (in terms of both declared strategy and actual deployment of resources) to growing the brand outside of Japan. If you like being a part of that sort of thing, the energy is there, at least for now.

The CEO is very visible. Whatever you think of him, a visible CEO is better than the kind who never shows his face on the business floor.

If you have any interest in anthropology or corporate ethnography, the exposure to the Japanese management culture can be informative, and help you understand the relative rhyme and reason of American corporate orders more objectively. Even the US office is full of Japanese expats and other international employees, so you’ll get the lessons of an international/cross-cultural experience.

If you want to hide, you can hide at Rakuten. You could go on cruise control for 10 years and no one would notice or care. It’s a relatively low-competition environment, so if you’re a minor-league player who wants to feel like a star, Rakuten could be the place to do that.

Catered (convenient, tasty, moderately healthy) breakfast and lunch every day; dinner available if you have to work past 7pm.

They recently implemented a great maternity/paternity leave policy (four months I think?), a new “rewards” system to celebrate employee tenure (in the US office), etc. They do employee events and stuff to make it fun and social. The mid-level corp comms and HR people are mostly American (in the US office), and you can tell they try hard to make it a positive environment. They are doing the best they can given the constraints they face from the executive level.

Cons

CEO’s attitude and influence is the engine of the whole company, and unfortunately he is a narcissist, a bully, and a buffoon. He marches around with a “support staff” of yes-men who he openly treats like servants. Every week he gives a “speech” in front of the whole company (mandatory attendance unless you have express permission from your manager to miss it) in which he just parrots the latest Silicon Valley jargon (“We need to focus on innovation,” "Artificial intelligence is going to change our industry," etc). Presents himself as a visionary leader but is obviously only imitating industry trends. He constantly name-drops his “friends” (tech celebrities from more prestigious companies, pop stars, etc). It’s embarrassing, like watching a very rich and clueless child. He has publicly disapproved of Donald Trump’s politics, but he is comparable to Trump in character and behavior. Imagine working for a Japanese Trump; that’s about what it feels like to work at Rakuten.

Increasing Japanese influence on the US work environment, both in terms of policies and in terms of the ratio of Japanese expat employees to American employees. Makes it clear that the Japanese run this ship, and the Americans just work here. There is a massive culture gap between the Japanese and everyone else, and it seems to be widening rather than narrowing. Even in the US office, the most influential executives are Japanese, and speak Japanese among themselves in the office. It creates a feeling of alienation and the sense that the real decisions are made behind a culture barrier without much respect for what’s on the non-Japanese side of it.

Salary is below market. I joined after being laid-off from another firm, so I felt vulnerable and desperate at the time. In retrospect, I should have held out for something better. The income I might have lost by waiting for another offer is minimal compared to what I lost by working at a below-market salary for two years.

No career-pathing to speak of. None. Zero. No formal system or structure to help employees progress, and individual managers have no incentives to develop junior employees, or even the tools to do so should they wish to at their own initiatives. You could have the same job at Rakuten for 10 years; it’s not a ladder, it’s a hamster wheel.

Just bewilderingly disorganized for a company of its size. A hundred layers of process and approval for the simplest projects. Takes forever to get anything done, ten people to do one person’s job, etc.

There are countless meetings where ten people will fill up a conference room and dial-in from three offices across a dozen time zones just to listen to one person read bullet points off a power point screen for 30 minutes. No discussion, no problem solving, no decision making--just brain damage all around. If you have the temerity to ask “What is the purpose of this meeting?” they look at you like you’re breaking some kind of rule and tell you that “information sharing is very important.” Ever heard of email, you muppets??? I’m in my 30s so too young to have experienced office culture in the 1990s, but I imagine Rakuten is probably a good approximation. You could just go watch the movie Office Space, or you could work at Rakuten. One is a comedy, the other is your life.

I came into Rakuten from another large e-commerce company, one that I would describe as a well-run, professionally managed, first-rate corporate organization. (Not the most prestigious brand in Silicon Valley these days, mind you, but on the inside it was still a first-rate place.) The contrast between that experience and Rakuten shocked me. In comparison, Rakuten is a clumsy, amateurish, third-rate organization. Don’t let the size and global reach of the company fool you. On the inside, it is amateur hour.

I came in with lots of energy and enthusiasm, expecting to grow my skills and contribute to an industry-leading program. It looked great on paper. In reality it felt like I had gone back to high school. I was seriously worried that my business skills would actually atrophy at Rakuten due to the general ineptitude and outdated business culture that forms the infrastructure of the company. Luckily I was in an external-facing role, so I was able to keep up my chops by interfacing with outside firms, otherwise I probably would have come out less skilled than when I went in. It’s like an anti-MBA, just cramming your head full of redundant processes and dysfunctional practices.

The frustration level in trying to get anything done is off the charts. Rakuten is the most sluggish, backwards, illogical, outdated, frustrating business environment I have ever been exposed to. And that’s speaking from a biz dev perspective where I regularly engaged with other firms and their managers as part of my work. Every firm has its quirks, and some are more/less effective than others, of course, but God, Rakuten is just a mess. It was embarrassing to have to share some of our practices with potential business partners when scoping joint projects. They would just look at me across the table in disbelief/frustration. I was actually told sarcastically by a channel partner, "Congratulations on having the most complicated pricing structure of any marketplace worldwide." You could replace "pricing structure" with just about any element of our company and the sentence holds true. So many questions to which there is no answer other than "That's the way we do it at Rakuten." So many instances of "Why couldn't we just..." to which the executive answer is always "No," without any explanation or rationale. Utter lack of flexibility in problem solving or decision making, it's like they froze everybody's brain in 1995, hired ten thousand lawyers and accountants to make sure it stayed that way, and asked Franz Kafka to consult on the whole deal just to make 100% sure everything stayed as rigid and opaque as possible.

Toward the end all of the above really started to affect my overall mood and psychological condition. I felt like I had taken a step down in life. I saw so much grinding stupidity at Rakuten that I just got depressed. I thought I would never get away from it. It became difficult for me to get another job, partly because it was hard to advertise myself as successful when I was immersed in an unsuccessful environment. (How can you explain that everything you’ve tried to initiate for the past two years has been stymied by bureaucracy and Japanese executives who make decisions from 6000 miles away about markets they don’t understand and clients they can barely communicate with?) I really thought for a while that Rakuten had ruined my career. When I finally got a solid offer to leave, I almost cried with joy and relief, and my self-esteem shot up about 1000%. How’s that for a KPI?

Advice to Management

One of the most eye-opening things I heard at Rakuten was when a Japanese colleague, who had joined the company mid-career from another firm, confessed to me over a drink that, “this is not management.” (Meaning that the type of management practiced at Rakuten was not even worthy of the term, compared to the firm he came from.) For American employees to feel repelled by the company’s management culture is one thing, but when even the Japanese can recognize that management at Rakuten is a joke, you know something is seriously wrong. The whole place is run like the mafia, with the CEO as the Don. He pushes the neanderthal culture down through the whole company. Short of the board replacing the CEO, I don’t think there’s much that can be done to change things.

"horrid"

Current Employee - Affiliate Marketing in Grand Prairie, TX
    Current Employee - Affiliate Marketing in Grand Prairie, TX

I have been working at Rakuten full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

short here there is none

Cons

I worked for them for 4 months and never got paid 1 cent. 4 months of hard IT and computer work web design all that did not get paid period other than the experience and that does not pay the bills in fact i lost money.

Advice to Management

treat your employees better

""Look What You (RAKUTEN) Made Me Do""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Rakuten full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Catered food
    -Some nice people
    -24/7 ice cream bar

Cons

This place is the most disorganized place on planet earth. In fact, if you like reality t.v. you will LOVE working here. I'll highlight a few things for you:

--Rakuten USA HR is nothing short of working at an amusement park with the top leaders equivalent to the zoo animals. No one has a clue what is going on. Most of the time no one is available and they are all running around like loose zoo animals who weren't fed for a few days
    --Top management is very focused on keeping the Japanese roots with no plans to Americanize how they work.
    --There are strict enforced working hours. Yes, you heard that right. And yes it is 2017 in Silicon Valley. You are expected to be in at your desk by 9:00am and not allowed to leave until 6:00pm when Rakuten has concluded the working day is over.
    --The "shuttles" they have hired to take us to and from here is also a joke. And they don't depart Rakuten until post 6pm when the work day has concluded
    -- There is a mandatory company all-hands EVERY monday morning at 9:00am. It has been told to all of us that this meeting is more important than an emergency trip visit. You must attend or else you will get shamed and a talking to by the "loose zoo animals"/HR.
    --There is absolutely no future for your career if you are female in this company
    --HR loves to involve legal in every decision. In fact the top two people in Rakuten HR will often consult them to go to the bathroom. They are ATTACHED at the hip. STEER CLEAR
    --If you want to ruin your life/career/sanity WORK HERE!!!!
    --Did I mention how screwed up HR is?

Advice to Management

-Fire the entire Rakuten HR team and re-hire EVERYONE!!

"Japanese company with Japanese business culture"

I have been working at Rakuten full-time

Pros

Direct supervisor very engaged in my personal development.
    Food catered twice a week.

Cons

A lot of turn over.
    No clear strategic direction aligning the full marketing team.

"Sad but true"

I worked at Rakuten full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Start up feeling in a big company

Cons

No idea how to run a company outside of Japan.

Advice to Management

Hang on to ur most valuable assets, the employees rather than alienating them.

"Still a Japanese company"

I worked at Rakuten full-time

Pros

Japanese language is not required
    Official language in the company is English (claim)
    Upbeat culture compared to other Japanese companies as it is trying to imitate US tech company

Cons

Still many employees can't speak English
    Bureaucracy is a problem in the company (in all Japanese companies I guess)
    Too many policies/rules/burden hence impede the productivity

Advice to Management

If you try to be like a US company, try to learn their whole system, instead of being a hybrid of Japanese and American company. The management should make decisions and get things done faster as the world is moving fast nowadays.

8. "great perks, lack of direction"

I have been working at Rakuten full-time

Pros

free breakfast and lunch, access to gym and free shuttle service from east and south bay.

Cons

lack of direction from all departments. doesn't seem like a growing company especially with amazon dominating the e-commerce industry.

"If you sincerely hate yourself, then this is the job for you."

I worked at Rakuten full-time

Pros

Great co-workers
    Pay is decent
    The MANAGER is pretty awesome

Cons

This is by two former employees.
    -Management by fear, always letting us know that we are replaceable.
    -No structure as far as "Management" goes
    - Wait, who do we report to?
    -Favoritism, Favoritism,Favoritism!!!!!!! Because hiring family is TOTALLY in line with company policy *eye roll*
    -S.O.P is not followed by any means.
    -Corporate complains about certain things not getting done, comes in to do said tasks, and makes things 500% worse....then blames other people for said things being 500% worse...and the circle of life continues.
    -Management other than the manager belittles you, is never clear with their intent or goals, walks all over you and makes it public.
    -they take in any temp off the street. ANY. TEMP. From thieves to thugs to cracked out fiends and all the seedy ilk they can find.
    -Corporate watches you from the cameras above like some freakish God-like entity. HALF OF WHICH DON'T WORK. which helps those I talked about previously to loot the place blind.
    -USELESS MONTHLY MEETINGS WHERE HALF THE STAFF FALLS ASLEEP!
    -Promises of bonuses but only if you meet some unruly standard.
    -working 14 to 28 days straight without so much as a thank you.
    -A goddamn OSHA nightmare that would get any other warehouse shut down in a seconds notice.

"Horribly run company by a crazy CEO"

I have been working at Rakuten full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sorry but there aren't any pros. This company is completely unorganized. No one knows what is going on. The CEO is all about his way is the only way.

Cons

You will be forced to exist in a company with a Japanese culture that is rammed down your throat. Policies make no sense at all. You will be forced to endure a weekly mandatory one hour meeting where you have to listen to what is going on in parts of the company that have no relation to you or your job. Truly the worst managed company I have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

The board of the company needs to fire the egocentric CEO.