Raley's Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Raley's President & CEO Michael Teel
Michael Teel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get good benefits for health care (in 21 reviews)

• Customer service comes naturally if your staff is like a family and generally support one another (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Hour cuts down to 28 hours for clerks and 16 hours for courtesy clerks (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management sometimes seems to be indifferent towards staff (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours, friendly staff, great flexibility with school. I would really recommend this job to anyone starting out working who wants a decent pay.

Cons

Always on your feet always running around retrieving items and cleaning up messes. Picking up carts in the hot sun or freezing cold.

2. "Corporate Manager"

Current Employee - Corporate Manager in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Manager in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great leadership, culture, inspiring teams and team members. Collaborative environment and amazing executive team with an open door policy. CEO is with the times and encouraging to all outrageous thinking. COO is seasoned, experienced and encouraging. Truly about the people. Great salary, hours and CPO supports his people. Best Marketing SVP-taking grocery to the next level.

Cons

Grocery is a competitive industry. You need to be open to change because it’s always evolving.

Advice to Management

Continue culture and great hiring practices. Amazing place to work! I highly recommend this company.

"Ecart, Checker, Scanner, Bookkeeper"

I have been working at Raley's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Raley's tends to attract nice, hard working people so I find that the employees become a family. Many Reno area directors are great people to work for. They are good about working around school schedules, even college classes that change every semester.

Cons

Over the years labor has been cut more and more leaving the employees to take on more and more work. Even the simplest jobs now have a lot of stress because expectations can be unreasonable at times. The pay rates are pretty poor. Many employees struggle to make ends meet, even working full time.

"Pharmacy Technician"

Former Employee - Licensed/Certified Pharmacy Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Licensed/Certified Pharmacy Technician in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Raley's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, friendly environment and good pay for entry level position. Good communication. Union benefits. Decent hours for retail. Compensation for maintaining certification.

Cons

Benefits are hard to understand. No salary increase beyond 18 and change. Period.

Advice to Management

More competitive salary increases and incentives, and positive feedback for employees would go a long way to keep quality talent.

5. "First impressions"

Current Employee - Clerk
    Current Employee - Clerk

I have been working at Raley's part-time

Pros

Hours, leadership, starting pay, benefits

Cons

Felt like training was somewhat rushed

"Poor executive leadership team particularly the President/COO and Chief People Officer"

Current Employee - Corporate Director in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Director in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and Pay are pretty good and store leadership tries real hard to help team members. Family owned business but needs more of their involvement.

Cons

Poor culture, constantly taking away, hours, benefits, eliminating positions, lack of sticking with a strategy, politics, letting some leadership go for the wrong reasons- just because they don’t play politics or are popular with the teams even if they have the best results in the company.

Advice to Management

Owner should replace the leadership of the executive committee. Bring in a seasoned President/COO and Chief People officer. Add some real Pro’s to the board and get more involved with his families legacy!

Raley's Response

Feb 12, 2018 – President and COO

Your feedback matters. I regret you don’t feel that our company’s current strategies are aligned with our owner and CEO’s vision, but we assure you he is deeply involved in and passionate about the... More

"Clerk with steps"

Current Employee - Clerk With Steps in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Clerk With Steps in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone I work with is like family

Cons

Sometimes I will have 40 hour weeks a lot or even over then I’ll only work 32 I’d rather work the 40 consistently

Advice to Management

Appreciate those who work hard it gives motivation to work harder all it takes is acknowledgment

8. "Environment"

I have been working at Raley's part-time

Pros

It is a great place to work

Cons

I would like more hours

9. "Decent Starting Job, Learn as You Work"

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk

I have been working at Raley's part-time

Pros

- friendly staff, almost everyone gets along
     - union backed
     - all employees are extremely knowledgeable of item locations and procedures

Cons

- many of the older staff are unfriendly and counterproductive when working with young staff, to the point where in one case it was not possible to ask basic questions such as where things were without being told off for being disrespectful due to my position as a bagger
     - training provided by the company is very inefficient, all online and is not representative of what the job is actually like
     - management expects newer employment to know the store and its procedures immediately, does not teach new employees how to do any of these

Advice to Management

The majority of customers I've dealt with do not understand the point of the Something Extra rewards card, thinking it is a discount card and that the deals are only available when you have the card. We waste a lot of time having to explain this as about 70% of customers ask about it, and I firmly believe this is a company service problem that leads to our customer's not understanding. Other customers I've talked to don't see value in getting 5$ and a set of coupons for spending 500$ on groceries per quarter (without double or triple point coupons).

10. "Mission, Vision and Values Driven"

Current Employee - Talent Management Specialist in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Management Specialist in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The mission, vision and values is what is at the core of this organization: I have seen this through the change they are bringing into every layer, internally with their leadership development programs, the new office remodel, and externally through the food options offered at the stores. The leadership is here to support the people to become their best version of themselves. They truly are committed to everyone's success! They want to hear from all levels to know how they could do things even better...the culture is more than just talk. The intent is to put things into action!

Cons

No organization is perfect...I believe this company will be implementing a lot of changes to ensure they address any gaps.