Raley's Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Raley's President & CEO Michael Teel
Michael Teel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get good benefits for health care (in 21 reviews)

• Customer service comes naturally if your staff is like a family and generally support one another (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay for courtesy clerks is a flat rate (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management sometimes seems to be indifferent towards staff (in 10 reviews)

"Head Clerk Manager"

Former Employee - Head Clerk in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Head Clerk in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Raley's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Honestly I cannot think of anything. There is no set schedules even if you have given 17 years to them. No home life or work life balance.

Cons

Sadly I was a part of the management culture that bullied people out of the union, agree to lower wages, and forcing people out that were actually grandfathered into good contracts. This is a workplace culture that lives by - EVERYONE IS REPLACEABLE. If I could give ZERO STARS I would.

"Advertising & Marketing"

Pros

A weekly paycheck on Friday.

Cons

Not a reflection of the corporation. This is a review of Advertising & Marketing Management ONLY ...

1) Ridiculously closed minded despite touting a supposed open door policy and invitation to exchange ideas - my way or the highway attitude
    2) Condescending and confrontational style of management
    3) Unappreciative of extra effort rebutted as "That's your job". Um no it isn't, but you're welcome.
    4) Hovering, bullying, meddling, hands-on approach. Micromanagement would be a gross understatement.
    5) Absolutely out of their element with their backgrounds not knowing the difference between agency expectations and deadlines versus the turn and burn needed to produce media for a grocery retailer.
    6) Executives & HR absolutely ignore the pleas of Marketing & Advertising subordinates for intervention despite numerous written and oral complaints
    7) Misuse of talented employees in subpar roles
    8) Absolute inability to properly manage a staff of creative people
    9) Demeaning and derogatory to the nth degree
    10) Every minute of your day is accounted for through tracking software monitored by management, and the results factored into your merit raise consideration. Employees can expect an annual salary increase of 0-2%.

I could go on for days and not even scratch the surface of what a stressful and overall unhappy climate they've created. It's like nothing I've ever seen in all my years. It's actually very sad to see how just two people can ruin the professional and personal lives of so many.

Advice to Management

Admit your mistakes. Cut your losses and move on. You're out of your element. You haven't a clue what you're doing despite all the smoke and mirrors that the execs fall for. Just go away so people can be proud and happy again.

Raley's Response

Nov 16, 2017 – President and COO

While sometimes painful, we always welcome candid feedback. What a person thinks and feels is important to me and to our organization. Team members’ perspectives help us grow and improve.

We don’t... More

"Manager"

I worked at Raley's full-time

Pros

Good money, good benefits. Has clean stores, room for promotions, on hand training, opens early, stays open late

Cons

Shady bosses, they lie at every chance they get. Don't take any responsabity for there actions. All about the money, does not care about staffing hard workers, promotes the lazy and bad seeds. Managers don't do anything

Advice to Management

Do your job, stop lying, stop telling people that you care when you don't. Pay people what you promise.

"Poorly Operated Company"

Pros

Nice store. Good environment. Great layout.

Cons

MANAGEMENT IS NOT TRAINED VERY WELL. ONE PARTICULAR STORE DIRECTOR, DOESN'T LIKE CERTAIN PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Think about each and every single employee every day you are at work.

5. "Peets coffee state line"

Former Employee - Barista in South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in South Lake Tahoe, CA

I worked at Raley's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool staff very friendly co-workers

Cons

Never got a break and never got trained

Advice to Management

Get a job that gives you breaks

"Not worth it"

Current Employee - Clerk in Fair Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Clerk in Fair Oaks, CA

I have been working at Raley's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a courtesy clerk you experience the positive side of customer service.

Cons

Immature management, and as a clerk you see the dark side of things. The wage increase is atrocious as a clerk.

Advice to Management

Treat your workers like they are your family, not slaves.

7. "Bad management"

Former Employee - Clerk in Rio Linda, CA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Rio Linda, CA

Pros

The pros are that this was a union protected job with guaranteed 40 hours per week and fully paid healthcare

Cons

The cons are that people are well underpaid, the management is incompetent and single people out depending on whether they like them or not

8. "Head Clerk"

Former Employee - Head Clerk in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Head Clerk in Alameda, CA

I worked at Raley's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good union benefits, paid every week, no experience needed

Cons

inconsistent schedule, overworked, stressful, poor upper management

"Embellishments"

Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Jackson, CA
    Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Jackson, CA

I have been working at Raley's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part of my job, is helping my customers. I am very customer service oriented, so finding happiness in my job ends there.

Cons

When I first began working for raleys i was pretty excited about everything that I was, more or less, promised. I was told that my part time status would quickly turn to full time, only to later find out that only managers are given full time status. The manager directly above me has changed several times and at one point three departments were being run by only a handful of people, myself included; hours never increased when demand increased creating over worked and under appricated employees.

Advice to Management

Don't make promises you don't intend to keep, or simply can't keep, just to get people in the door, it's dishonest.

10. "A long term hard working employee watching this store sink because of co-workers"

Current Employee - Cashier in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time

Pros

The pros of working for this company entail that it is a stable job. During the holidays it generally is busy and the time can go fast. I am a senior employee (long term) and I do not mind working hard although sometimes I am the only one working hard.

Cons

The problems that arise with this company are numerous and it comes down to the employees not working as a team. This translates to the store making less money and everyone is unhappy. Certain employees do not have to work as hard and play favorites among the management. I have even seen these employees hug each other in the front of the store and just stand and talk while customers and employees watch this. Recently the management changed to prevent this problem but of course the old ways fall right back into place. Employees in the registers need to be rotated among the other registers facing opposite directions to prevent injury but this is not being implemented. Other employees play the games of looking like they are doing so much work but really aren’t working that hard at all. So now we cannot keep the new young baggers even and all they talk about is leaving. In fact; we are hiring new courtesy clerks all the time because the morale is so bad they quit at a rapid pace.

Advice to Management

The advice I would give the management is to hold all employees accountable and for them to work as a team. As of now there is a lot of resentment among employees and everyone is unhappy and it’s the holidays so this is a big problem. Since this problem is not getting resolved it results in the store making less money, since our customers witness this. The other solution is to make the front end a better place to manage, what tends to happen is everyone gathers in the self-check out area and talks without helping the customers. Along with this leaving the check stand lights on and walking off away from the front like the register is still open but it is not. Anyhow, what I am trying to say is that it’s not a fun place to work but it could be if the management made it better by working as a team.