Raley's Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Raley's President & CEO Michael Teel
Michael Teel

Pros
  • You get good benefits for health care (in 19 reviews)

• Customer service comes naturally if your staff is like a family and generally support one another (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Courtesy clerks are frequently handed the tasks no one else wants to do (ie (in 11 reviews)

• As with all customer service jobs, there are times where customers are hyper demanding or interpret your words wrongly (which lands you in hot water) (in 9 reviews)

1. "Head Clerk"

Former Employee - Head Clerk in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Head Clerk in Alameda, CA

I worked at Raley's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good union benefits, paid every week, no experience needed

Cons

inconsistent schedule, overworked, stressful, poor upper management

"Embellishments"

Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Jackson, CA
    Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Jackson, CA

I have been working at Raley's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part of my job, is helping my customers. I am very customer service oriented, so finding happiness in my job ends there.

Cons

When I first began working for raleys i was pretty excited about everything that I was, more or less, promised. I was told that my part time status would quickly turn to full time, only to later find out that only managers are given full time status. The manager directly above me has changed several times and at one point three departments were being run by only a handful of people, myself included; hours never increased when demand increased creating over worked and under appricated employees.

Advice to Management

Don't make promises you don't intend to keep, or simply can't keep, just to get people in the door, it's dishonest.

3. "A long term hard working employee watching this store sink because of co-workers"

Current Employee - Cashier in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time

Pros

The pros of working for this company entail that it is a stable job. During the holidays it generally is busy and the time can go fast. I am a senior employee (long term) and I do not mind working hard although sometimes I am the only one working hard.

Cons

The problems that arise with this company are numerous and it comes down to the employees not working as a team. This translates to the store making less money and everyone is unhappy. Certain employees do not have to work as hard and play favorites among the management. I have even seen these employees hug each other in the front of the store and just stand and talk while customers and employees watch this. Recently the management changed to prevent this problem but of course the old ways fall right back into place. Employees in the registers need to be rotated among the other registers facing opposite directions to prevent injury but this is not being implemented. Other employees play the games of looking like they are doing so much work but really aren’t working that hard at all. So now we cannot keep the new young baggers even and all they talk about is leaving. In fact; we are hiring new courtesy clerks all the time because the morale is so bad they quit at a rapid pace.

Advice to Management

The advice I would give the management is to hold all employees accountable and for them to work as a team. As of now there is a lot of resentment among employees and everyone is unhappy and it’s the holidays so this is a big problem. Since this problem is not getting resolved it results in the store making less money, since our customers witness this. The other solution is to make the front end a better place to manage, what tends to happen is everyone gathers in the self-check out area and talks without helping the customers. Along with this leaving the check stand lights on and walking off away from the front like the register is still open but it is not. Anyhow, what I am trying to say is that it’s not a fun place to work but it could be if the management made it better by working as a team.

"Turn Back Now"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Carmichael, CA
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Carmichael, CA

Pros

The only Pro to this job was that it paid 20 cents above minimum wage, but I rather make under minimum wage than to work for this company again.

Cons

I was a college student home for summer break and made the horrible decision to work in the Deli at Raley's. To start off, training is non existent. You will be thrown into the job and expected to already know how to do every part of it and ridiculed when you make a mistake. You will be told you are doing wrong but never how to fix it nor the right way to do anything. The only way to learn your job is to constantly pester coworkers who will most likely act annoyed at your questions. You will be taken advantage of and put to work with zero training while more veteran workers sit on their phones in the back and make plans with one another on how they plan on spending their useless lives. Your coworkers will be people who have zero ambition and goals in life except to work in the deli for the rest of their life and be less than average at that simple task.
    Dealing with customers will not be the hardest part of your job, the hardest part will be dealing with the petty and immature people you will be working with. As you begin to get the hang of things, be prepared for the endless amount of closing shifts where you will spend you time cleaning up the mess made from your horrible coworkers throughout the day. You will never do this correctly as they will always find something wrong with your efforts and if they are good enough they will give you more tasks to do. Likely as well, your closing partner will be someone extremely inadequate as they will be new as well and since the company likes to hire unmotivated and lazy middle age losers who they can trap in a deli for the rest of their lives as there peanut brains will never demand more, you will be doing their work as well. Don't even think about being able to stay a couple minutes later to do your job properly because no overtime is allowed so you're going to just have to deal with that.
    Additionally, the environment is disgusting. The uncleanliness of the department is disturbing considering you are serving people food from it. Working there has made me never want to purchase food that does not come straight from the source because i guarantee you that the products you are purchasing are less than satisfactory or safe. Your food has most likely been dropped on the floor or had filthy hands of workers rummaged through it as they steal food every chance that they can get.
    Upper management in the store does not care or understand your tasks and will often disrupt you during your closing process to make sure you get out on time, not like they care, to make sure that they do not get in trouble. Upper Management will be extremely useless to you if you are seeking help as they know nothing that goes on within the department and will often complain just as ignorantly as a customer. Also, the hiring process through them is extremely disorganized. I had to present my social security card and ID on three different occasions because they could not seem to copy them and enter into their system correctly. Talk about unprofessional. Overall, if you are at all thinking about applying to work for this company, especially in the deli, do not.

Advice to Management

Leave and allow better people to actually do your job correctly.

6. "Yeah, just don't."

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Redding, CA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Redding, CA

I worked at Raley's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customers were great, learning about different products was great, lots of exercise, plenty of chances to learn about vehicles

Cons

One of the cashiers is a bully and management will not do anything about it.

Advice to Management

You should have fired that cashier back when courtesy clerks were getting hurt.

7. "Head clerk"

Current Employee - Head Clerk in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Head Clerk in Reno, NV

Pros

Your on your feet all day and walk several miles a day on hard floors. Every part of your body gets a workout. You get to learn self defence with all the shoplifters. You get to miss family events you work all holidays. Drug testing is not required for pre employment..

Cons

Horrible pay and hours. Most employees hate their jobs. Employee turnover is high and allways under staffed. Sick calls and sick leave pay are resisted by the management. Sad when you work with the public you get sick alot. Can be a real dangerous place to work as they let anybody in the door and security is not in the store much. Every former employee I see was glad they don't work at Raleys anymore.

Advice to Management

Your company is only as good as the employees. You are not out of touch with them. You just don't care about anything but the profit.

8. "primary scanning coordinator"

Current Employee - Prime Scanning Coordinator in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Prime Scanning Coordinator in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work environment, good benefits

Cons

Customer service slowly declining, management needs to care more for their employees

Advice to Management

Keep the employees happy and they will keep the customers happy

"Food Sevice: the Shittiest Department to Work for."

Current Employee - Food Service Clerk in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Food Service Clerk in Sacramento, CA

Pros

After graduating High School I had alot more time on my hands and was offered a position in food service after being a courtesy clerk for two years. Many people had warned me that food service was a rat-trap of a place to work but I ignored their petty suggestions. At first I was extremely excited getting the chance to learn an entirely different job, They trained me in the Deli first; cutting meats and cheeses, making salads and servicing the sandwich bar are all the wonderful responsibilities of the Deli. Then without warning they took me out of the Deli, only having been trained for their closing shift, and began training me in the bakery, which included being a Barista for Peet's coffee. There's a whole different dynamic to learn when in the bakery, its not so central to helping the customers but being able to constantly replenish our product which included; bread (I mean alot of effing bread), production cakes, pies, various desserts ect. Right when I thought I got a decent handle on the Bakery they started flip flopping me in between departments, its exhausting trying to remember all the coffees whilst trying to remember which meats and cheeses contain what or all the cooking temps for the bread. No other department has this grouping of what should really be two separate departments. I honestly wish I had took heed of my former checkers' advice and not taken this disastrous job. It sucks. Just dont go into Food Service.

Cons

Oh and the union is basically useless as it is with all companies, just a middleman to benefits the company could directly give their employees. When you obtain a new "job classification" aka when they decide to train you in bakery they throw $120 on your tab. Drama is also a big deal in both departments, people like to complain about others' performance and really like to highlight their screw ups, if you want to survive their BS keep your head down, do your work, go home and repeat.

10. "Clerk work"

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Modesto, CA

I worked at Raley's part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Raley's was a good company to work for. They are very family based organization, they are union, and sell amazing produce.

Cons

They don't treat their employees very respectfully most of the time, and they demand very strict store policies be upheld, and punishment is swift and pretty brutal.

Advice to Management

Be prepared for lots of meetings about productivity, sales and how to manipulate customers and employees to benefit the companies already burgeoning empire.

11. "No raise in 6+ years with union contract"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in North Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in North Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best positive thing I can say about my employer is the ability to change locations if necessary

Cons

This place doesn't feel like the family it did 15 years ago, we have a lot of new big wigs in the business who want to make us act like we are a national company when we're not.

Advice to Management

Your best customers are the ones who work for you.