Raley's Reviews | Glassdoor

Raley's Reviews

Updated June 11, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You get good benefits for health care (in 19 reviews)

• Customer service comes naturally if your staff is like a family and generally support one another (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Courtesy clerks are frequently handed the tasks no one else wants to do (ie (in 11 reviews)

• As with all customer service jobs, there are times where customers are hyper demanding or interpret your words wrongly (which lands you in hot water) (in 9 reviews)

"Courtesy clerk, pharmaceutical clerk, & corporate office"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk- Main Office Staff in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk- Main Office Staff in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Raley's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great co-workers at store level, advancement opportunities

Cons

Horrible management
    Inconsistencies in objectives
    Poor & ineffective internal strategies

"Embellishments"

Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Jackson, CA
    Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Jackson, CA

I have been working at Raley's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part of my job, is helping my customers. I am very customer service oriented, so finding happiness in my job ends there.

Cons

When I first began working for raleys i was pretty excited about everything that I was, more or less, promised. I was told that my part time status would quickly turn to full time, only to later find out that only managers are given full time status. The manager directly above me has changed several times and at one point three departments were being run by only a handful of people, myself included; hours never increased when demand increased creating over worked and under appricated employees.

Advice to Management

Don't make promises you don't intend to keep, or simply can't keep, just to get people in the door, it's dishonest.

3. "Beyond Impressed!"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in West Sacramento, CA

Pros

Compensation, extremely friendly and helpful people, growing company, remodel coming soon, incentive opportunity, employees have worked here 15+ years (low turnover), employee engagement.

When the SVP of HR called me prior to my start date I knew I had made a great decision joining the Raley's team.

Cons

No Cons thus far. Loving it!

4. "Not enough pay"

Current Employee - Stock Associate/Night Crew in San Pablo, CA
    Current Employee - Stock Associate/Night Crew in San Pablo, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with small crew....graveyard hours.....no customers to deal with so easier to get freight thrown.....health benefits pretty fast if full time

Cons

Many of the courtesy clerks are extremely lazy....throw product where ever they please if they cannot locate it's home....not nearly enough pay for the job our night crew performs....other employees that constantly complain about everything and everyone, alot of gossip

Advice to Management

Take a step back and take a good hard look at who actually is working and doing their job, or doing things to make it look as if they are working....get tired of going behind other people NOT doing their job!

5. "Floral"

Current Employee - Floral Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Floral Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love decorating the department have freedoms to order what is necessary. Creating someone idea into something fabulous. And aver the top

Cons

It's retail you don't have much a life for doing a lot for yourself. The hours are always different. However after a year you do get a week vacation time.

Advice to Management

Management does let you know if you need to tweek something. For some departments a little more involvement would be appreciated other wise they do a great job

6. "Store Team Leader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA

I have been working at Raley's (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, solid leadership with awesome values. Have worked for other companies who are not close in delivering on their value statement.

Cons

tough to compete as a regional retailer

7. "OK place to work"

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Raley's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The friends I made while working in the produce department were excellent. The teamwork and communication were great as well.

Cons

There was a noticeable lack of direction from management.

8. "Once Again a great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time

Pros

- For the most part flexible scheduling
    - Typically you work independently and collaboratively free from being micromanaged
    - decent salary, ok medical/retirement benefits
    - good managers for the most part

Cons

- slow to implement change
    - cubicles and carpet are falling apart, poor work conditions. However company is promising complete interior remodel. but project continues to be delayed.
    - In order to get decent medical premiums you have to participate in a healthcare rewards program
    - Some technology/software is updated often, however a lot of major business critical technology/software is way beyond dated and becomes increasingly difficult to manage. Management doesn't seem to mind the risk.

Advice to Management

- Keep up good work with employee surveys and acceptance of feedback from those surveys
    - Continue to push for change in working conditions and allow employees to balance personal and work life
    - Strive to get ahead of the technology curve, and do more do diligence on vetting technology/software with business requirements rather than selecting software/technology based on here say or based on one persons opinion on how well it worked at their previous job.

9. "A long term hard working employee watching this store sink because of co-workers"

Current Employee - Cashier in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time

Pros

The pros of working for this company entail that it is a stable job. During the holidays it generally is busy and the time can go fast. I am a senior employee (long term) and I do not mind working hard although sometimes I am the only one working hard.

Cons

The problems that arise with this company are numerous and it comes down to the employees not working as a team. This translates to the store making less money and everyone is unhappy. Certain employees do not have to work as hard and play favorites among the management. I have even seen these employees hug each other in the front of the store and just stand and talk while customers and employees watch this. Recently the management changed to prevent this problem but of course the old ways fall right back into place. Employees in the registers need to be rotated among the other registers facing opposite directions to prevent injury but this is not being implemented. Other employees play the games of looking like they are doing so much work but really aren’t working that hard at all. So now we cannot keep the new young baggers even and all they talk about is leaving. In fact; we are hiring new courtesy clerks all the time because the morale is so bad they quit at a rapid pace.

Advice to Management

The advice I would give the management is to hold all employees accountable and for them to work as a team. As of now there is a lot of resentment among employees and everyone is unhappy and it’s the holidays so this is a big problem. Since this problem is not getting resolved it results in the store making less money, since our customers witness this. The other solution is to make the front end a better place to manage, what tends to happen is everyone gathers in the self-check out area and talks without helping the customers. Along with this leaving the check stand lights on and walking off away from the front like the register is still open but it is not. Anyhow, what I am trying to say is that it’s not a fun place to work but it could be if the management made it better by working as a team.

10. "Better than most retail pharmacies"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is higher than competitor retail pharmacies. Better clientele, discounts, free samples. Union guarantees certain hours worked.

Cons

Secret shoppers, benefits expensive with high deductibles. Retail is hard field to work in.

Advice to Management

Listen to techs input. We are front line to most problems in pharmacy.