Raley's Reviews | Glassdoor

Raley's Reviews

Updated January 3, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get good benefits for health care (in 21 reviews)

• Customer service comes naturally if your staff is like a family and generally support one another (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Hour cuts down to 28 hours for clerks and 16 hours for courtesy clerks (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management sometimes seems to be indifferent towards staff (in 10 reviews)

1. "Learned a lot but overworked"

Former Employee - Clerk in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Chico, CA

I worked at Raley's (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience but stressful because of limited help

Cons

They cut hours to save money. Leaves staff overworked

Advice to Management

Listen to employees needs

2. "all purpose clerk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

I worked at Raley's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

all the friends and people you meet on a daily basis

Cons

Management should be fair with their employees

Advice to Management

work with employees and not have favorites

"Head Clerk Manager"

Former Employee - Head Clerk in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Head Clerk in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Raley's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Honestly I cannot think of anything. There is no set schedules even if you have given 17 years to them. No home life or work life balance.

Cons

Sadly I was a part of the management culture that bullied people out of the union, agree to lower wages, and forcing people out that were actually grandfathered into good contracts. This is a workplace culture that lives by - EVERYONE IS REPLACEABLE. If I could give ZERO STARS I would.

4. "Life altering."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Sacramento, CA

I worked at Raley's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benifets, If your a hard worker and can hustle, willing to take on new projects there is room for advancement.

Cons

Deli needs more help in all areas.
      Some people like to talk behind your back.

Advice to Management

Store Directors I've met need no advice. I learned from all of them.
        Store level managers need some help.

"Advertising & Marketing"

Pros

A weekly paycheck on Friday.

Cons

Not a reflection of the corporation. This is a review of Advertising & Marketing Management ONLY ...

1) Ridiculously closed minded despite touting a supposed open door policy and invitation to exchange ideas - my way or the highway attitude
    2) Condescending and confrontational style of management
    3) Unappreciative of extra effort rebutted as "That's your job". Um no it isn't, but you're welcome.
    4) Hovering, bullying, meddling, hands-on approach. Micromanagement would be a gross understatement.
    5) Absolutely out of their element with their backgrounds not knowing the difference between agency expectations and deadlines versus the turn and burn needed to produce media for a grocery retailer.
    6) Executives & HR absolutely ignore the pleas of Marketing & Advertising subordinates for intervention despite numerous written and oral complaints
    7) Misuse of talented employees in subpar roles
    8) Absolute inability to properly manage a staff of creative people
    9) Demeaning and derogatory to the nth degree
    10) Every minute of your day is accounted for through tracking software monitored by management, and the results factored into your merit raise consideration. Employees can expect an annual salary increase of 0-2%.

I could go on for days and not even scratch the surface of what a stressful and overall unhappy climate they've created. It's like nothing I've ever seen in all my years. It's actually very sad to see how just two people can ruin the professional and personal lives of so many.

Advice to Management

Admit your mistakes. Cut your losses and move on. You're out of your element. You haven't a clue what you're doing despite all the smoke and mirrors that the execs fall for. Just go away so people can be proud and happy again.

Raley's Response

Nov 16, 2017 – President and COO

While sometimes painful, we always welcome candid feedback. What a person thinks and feels is important to me and to our organization. Team members’ perspectives help us grow and improve.

We don’t... More

6. "So-So Work Environment"

I worked at Raley's part-time

Pros

Get to go outside to push carts and get some exercise. Nice enough management.

Cons

Pretty degrading role as a bagger. Raises were harder to come by and I ended up leaving when I was passed over to become a checker by a teenager.

7. "I can sadly say I've been here for 15 years"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Raley's part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ok pay for a retail based pharmacy*

From time and again you work with people that really have your back and can be seen like a second family

Ok benefits*

Cons

Hope you payed attention to the asterisks.

As of 2017 the pharmacy technicians and clerks have yet to get a pay raise in almost 10 years. Everyone else in the store has ... even the pharmacists.

The benefits have gotten more expensive, with higher deductibles over time.

The corporate scheduling for relief help is terrible. As is the relief pool. Its almost like they have to hire people with I.Q.'s equal to a jar of mayonnaise.

They have just recently updated the pharmaceutical computer operating system after about 20 years of Zadall. But McKesson enterprise... or the budget version being used is maybe a step back in my opinion.
    I told our corporate suggestion line about auto signature capture ... they called me to tell me they liked the idea and planned on implementing it in the next couple year's. That was 13 years ago. Yea we are STILL manually putting signature stickers in "books".

Advice to Management

In store pharmacy management need MANAGER TRAINING. D.M.'s could really use a refresher course on what its like actually working in a pharmacy instead of requesting unrealistic requests with evaporating hours and staff. And you Corporate fellows really need to be honest with your pharmacy employees, it really looks like you dont care at all about any one of them.

"the good and bad"

I worked at Raley's full-time

Pros

fun employees to work around

Cons

bad management ruined experience for me

9. "Night Crew is great for school or a part time job."

Current Employee - Night Shift Manager in Napa, CA
    Current Employee - Night Shift Manager in Napa, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working the grave yard shift allows you to take a second job or attend school. Learning to adjust your sleeping schedule is key.

Cons

Night crew is not for everyone, your sleeping schedule will take a harsh hit. If you can learn to adjust, it's a great job.

10. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - HRM in West Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - HRM in West Sacramento, CA

I worked at Raley's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great owners and nice people who work at Raley’s. I gained a lot of experience there.

Cons

No room for advancement once you hit a certain level. People stick around for a long time so it’s hard to progress if someone is blocking the spot. Comp was horrible but I learned a lot.