Raley's Reviews | Glassdoor

Raley's Reviews

Updated June 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You get good benefits for health care (in 19 reviews)

• Customer service comes naturally if your staff is like a family and generally support one another (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Courtesy clerks are frequently handed the tasks no one else wants to do (ie (in 11 reviews)

• As with all customer service jobs, there are times where customers are hyper demanding or interpret your words wrongly (which lands you in hot water) (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Sacramento, CA

Pros

Great organization to work for; they have solid Leadership, Direction and Vision. Outstanding Culture, Benefits, and a lot of Great People who care.

Cons

Not a lot of cons... pay is not the top in the industry, but culture and work environment make up for it.

2. "not like it used to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady work , meet nice people , learn things that you will never forget , good reference

Cons

Favoritism , inconsistent management , not family oriented , unfair

Advice to Management

Don't take everything so seriously , listen before you react , be fair and consistent

3. "Head clerk"

Current Employee - Head Clerk in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Head Clerk in Reno, NV

Pros

Your on your feet all day and walk several miles a day on hard floors. Every part of your body gets a workout. You get to learn self defence with all the shoplifters. You get to miss family events you work all holidays. Drug testing is not required for pre employment..

Cons

Horrible pay and hours. Most employees hate their jobs. Employee turnover is high and allways under staffed. Sick calls and sick leave pay are resisted by the management. Sad when you work with the public you get sick alot. Can be a real dangerous place to work as they let anybody in the door and security is not in the store much. Every former employee I see was glad they don't work at Raleys anymore.

Advice to Management

Your company is only as good as the employees. You are not out of touch with them. You just don't care about anything but the profit.

"Courtesy Clerk"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Raley's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours. There was a nice sense of family among employees.

Cons

Management at my Raley's played favorites. High union dues and fees, with practically no benefit received because I was only a courtesy clerk.

Advice to Management

Try not to play favorites. Even as one who was favored, it is still frustrating to see unfair treatment of good coworkers.

5. "primary scanning coordinator"

Current Employee - Prime Scanning Coordinator in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Prime Scanning Coordinator in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work environment, good benefits

Cons

Customer service slowly declining, management needs to care more for their employees

Advice to Management

Keep the employees happy and they will keep the customers happy

"Food Sevice: the Shittiest Department to Work for."

Current Employee - Food Service Clerk in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Food Service Clerk in Sacramento, CA

Pros

After graduating High School I had alot more time on my hands and was offered a position in food service after being a courtesy clerk for two years. Many people had warned me that food service was a rat-trap of a place to work but I ignored their petty suggestions. At first I was extremely excited getting the chance to learn an entirely different job, They trained me in the Deli first; cutting meats and cheeses, making salads and servicing the sandwich bar are all the wonderful responsibilities of the Deli. Then without warning they took me out of the Deli, only having been trained for their closing shift, and began training me in the bakery, which included being a Barista for Peet's coffee. There's a whole different dynamic to learn when in the bakery, its not so central to helping the customers but being able to constantly replenish our product which included; bread (I mean alot of effing bread), production cakes, pies, various desserts ect. Right when I thought I got a decent handle on the Bakery they started flip flopping me in between departments, its exhausting trying to remember all the coffees whilst trying to remember which meats and cheeses contain what or all the cooking temps for the bread. No other department has this grouping of what should really be two separate departments. I honestly wish I had took heed of my former checkers' advice and not taken this disastrous job. It sucks. Just dont go into Food Service.

Cons

Oh and the union is basically useless as it is with all companies, just a middleman to benefits the company could directly give their employees. When you obtain a new "job classification" aka when they decide to train you in bakery they throw $120 on your tab. Drama is also a big deal in both departments, people like to complain about others' performance and really like to highlight their screw ups, if you want to survive their BS keep your head down, do your work, go home and repeat.

7. "Pharmacy Technician"

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Raley's part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, good vacation pay

Cons

No room for advancement. Does not match 401k. Benefits are not great.

8. "overall good company"

Former Employee - Selector in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Selector in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Great Company to work for, really cares about their employees and families

Cons

difficult work, long hours, no set schedule

Advice to Management

set schedule to nights or days only

9. "Courtesy Clerk"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Easy, decent pay, nice co-workers

Cons

Repetitive, long shifts can be hard, sometimes can be pretty rushed

10. "Payroll Associate II"

Former Employee - Payroll Associate II in West Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Payroll Associate II in West Sacramento, CA

I worked at Raley's full-time

Pros

There is lots to learn in this department! Management is easy going and will work with you if you have a doctor's appointment etc. No micro managing involved. A positive work environment.

Cons

Work needs to be distributed evenly to all. It's not fair that some do more than others while the ones less busy "pretends" to be busy when they really are not. Lots of favoritism. Training is slow going but eventually you will get trained on how things work when management has the time to train. If you're looking to climb the ladder, there's not much room available unless you want a supervisor's position.

Advice to Management

Training should be provided more often instead of when management has the time.