Ralph Lauren Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Ralph Lauren CEO Patrice Louvet
Patrice Louvet

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employee discount and polo bucks let you get clothes for free (in 115 reviews)

• Work life balance was possible with the right manager (in 43 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ralph Lauren (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my fellow co-workers.

Cons

A truly miserable place to work. Sales associates are treated like glorified cattle. I lived under the poverty line working full-time there and meeting my goals. I would go 4 -5 hours without a break and made to feel like I had very little value. Their guidelines for the physical presentation were truly authoritarian. I remember wearing red nail polish and they asked me to take it off. Management would criticise my clothes and would be upset when I couldn't afford to buy clothes in the store. All this company cares about is catering to the rich and selling a stale brand. And, on top of it, all their very expensive clothes are made in China. This place embodies all the worst things about capitalist America.

Advice to Management

Pay your sales associates a living wage and follow labor laws.

Ralph Lauren Response

Jan 12, 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Ralph Lauren adheres to all local laws and continually works to provide a positive professional environment. We deeply value all employees and take steps to ensure Ralph... More

2. "Nope."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent employee discount and benefits

Cons

Poor senior management, layoffs, horrible communication, limited growth opportunities, lack of trust of employees at associate level.

3. "Part Timer"

I worked at Ralph Lauren part-time

Pros

If I got to genuinely help another person during my shift, which is something I love doing, it was a good shift. Other than that though there wasn't much joy to the job.

Cons

Most large retail stores all have a toxic atmosphere with regards to the company culture. After working in polo for six months, I have been completely disillusioned with the whole retail fashion industry in general.

Advice to Management

They were very oblivious, and just concerned with the hourly numbers on the paper, not with the actual customers.

4. "Why are you here so early do you live in Spanish Harlem?"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Ralph Lauren as a contractor

Pros

The office is beautiful, other than that nothing.

Cons

Two-faced, backstabbing, discriminatory, sheltered, lazy co-workers

Advice to Management

stop using temp agencies to hire minorities to do hard labor and then end their assignment, use your own employees

"General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - General Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

At one time the Ralph Lauren culture was something to be proud of. There are no longer any pros working for this brand other than the discount and the customer. Working with the customer was the best part. Creating customer relationships was my favorite thing to do.

Cons

No work life balance. Worked 60+ hours a week consistently. District managers and regional directors took advantage of store level employees, spoke inappropriately about other leaders, and made negative remarks about overweight or gay or ugly managers. They Frowned upon hiring associates that were average looking, or had dreadlocks or were disabled and did not want such people interfacing with customers.

The fair employment departments purpose to protect employees from unfair treatment, did nothing to help or protect employees and went as far as to believe the guilty party rather than the victim. Upper management would lie to save their own skin and throw you under the bus for self preservation. The entire organization is filled with incompetent, self serving, arrogant, unprofessional people that would have no job if not for this job.

Advice to Management

Clean house, remove all 15+ year corporate leadership and breath some fresh perspective and ideas into a failing company.

6. "my time at polo ralph lauren"

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time

Pros

I got to meet some nice people

Cons

the work scheudle was completely hay wire

Advice to Management

focus more on yuor employees

"Huge Egos on a Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Occasionally employees were allowed extra discounts on top of our standard employee discounts.
    -Volunteer opportunities when you're allowed to go by management.
    -Everyone knows and respects the brand.

Cons

-Huge egos, nasty attitudes and holier-than-thou mentalities coming from Senior Directors all the way up to SVPs.
    -Frequent layoffs, no sign of change or hope for this company.
    -No room for growth. SVPs and Senior Directors will clutch onto their team members for dear life no matter how badly they know people want to advance or move to a different label.
    -"This is how we've always done it" mentality. No interest in ever changing or improving workflow to accommodate older employees and management.
    -Senior Directors and SVPs use fear as a tactic to control employees. Extreme micro-management.
    -HR is frequently unavailable and unresponsive to complaints of mistreatment and aggressive behavior from higher ups.
    -Requests for more opportunities to learn/grow on the team are rejected.
    -Extreme favoritism and sadly even racism! SVP calling a person of color "lazy" behind his back when he was the hardest working person there, promoting actual lazy people because of their ethnic background/religion, other persons of color who were considered push-overs were held back in their positions for YEARS, and inexperienced friends of the Lauren family being hired in high positions.
    -Workload was very unbalanced. Some months were extremely busy and weekends were required, while other months people were sleeping at their desks.
    -Low morale in employees is noticeable and affects many, but nothing is done to help improve the very fixable situations.
    -Extreme waste in time and resources, more than I've seen elsewhere. Teams are so large, the individuals needing to participate in/lead meetings are often distracted by their phones or their peers talking to them. Meetings can take ages and designs can be made and remade a ridiculous amount of time because 20 people are asking each other, "What do you think?" and not making a solid decision.

Advice to Management

-CLEAN HOUSE! I know there have been many rounds of layoffs, but the ones causing the trouble were kept in place and the people making it better were sent packing.
    -Fix HR. Many in the team are there to protect themselves and a select few who is toxic to the company. Who can employees turn to if managers and HR are teaming up to retaliate against them?
    -Live up to your values. I joined RL because of the values being promoted by the company. Unfortunately I quickly found out it was all fluff.
    -Trust your employees. Not just the higher ups who are doing everything in their power to keep their jobs. The new, and even younger, employees who love the brand want to help bring RL into the future! Abandon the "this is how we've always done it" attitude.
    -Stop promoting unqualified people who only hold employees back from doing good work.

"A sinking ship . . . and, in this instance, the rats are the last to leave . . ."

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time

Pros

RL USED to be a great place to work . . . but the downward spiral over the past 4 years or so has created such a sad and depressing work environment that, if you aren't "let go" due to "downsizing," you quit because you take on the workloads of those who've been "let go" . . . and you just can't take it. RL used to take care of their employees . . . until the almighty dollar became the bottom line. Not creativity, culture, fashion, and a stellar work community/family . . .

Cons

The bottom line is, it's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know, in order to keep your job. You never know who will be "let go" next; and God forbid if you're over the age of 50 with YEARS of tenure at the company - unless you're IN with the "VP flavor of the week." It doesn't matter . . . If you are of a certain age, and make a certain salary, out you go . . . of course, they DO let a few of the younger associates go, just to make it look like it's not age discrimination . . .

Advice to Management

It's too late to give any advice . . . the politics and discrimination of associates has marred this company forever . . . I don't care how many CEO's you bring in, the culture is ruined, and you've just let go of MOST of the employees with the tenure, loyalty, work ethic, and experience that could, and would, weather any storm - whether it's infrastructure, financial, retail, etc . . . You just let the best go - and the marginal will soon follow of their own volition, if they haven't already done so.

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Accessibility of Ralph (before company went public)
    Quality of clothes (before company went public and bridge collections took over)
    Congenial environment in which I was always learning

Cons

Jealous co-workers
    Lying dilettantes ie.) Don't say you're from Boston when you're from Revere
    Den of vipers clawing for Ralph's attention endlessly
    Old, and I mean old friends and acquaintances of RL's wasting his money and stealing merchandise and getting free vacations in 5 star hotels and restaurants as an excuse for sourcing designs
    Overall lying and duplicity
    The Emperor has no clothes
    Revoltingly transparent sycophants
    That old blonde hair color should be banned

Advice to Management

Do your homework. Check all resumes and transcripts thoroughly. Get reliable recommendations. Do regular drug testing. Beef up security (literally everybody has a zebra skin rug in their homes and lots of canvas and muslin furniture)

"Design Director"

Current Employee - Design Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Design Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with the best of the best

Cons

Design driven company so all the upper management are Design. At this level you have little input other then management of your teams work load.

Advice to Management

Work with realistic calendar dates and expectations. There is NO understanding of how the decisions of a few effect so many.

Showing 160 of 1,630 reviews