Ralph Lauren Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 20, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Patrice Louvet

Pros
  • Employee discount and polo bucks let you get clothes for free (in 108 reviews)

• Good work life balance (especially compared to the rest of the fashion industry) (in 37 reviews)

Cons

1. "Worst job I ever had"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Santa Fe, NM
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Santa Fe, NM

I have been working at Ralph Lauren part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers are nice to work with. Product is sometimes nice. You can make your own schedule for the most part

Cons

Disorganized, unprofessional, unrealistic expectations, no training, no communication. No recognition programs. Customer gets better discount than employees and no matter how hard you try there is never any feedback on how you are doing.

Advice to Management

Upper Management should spend more time in stores training and less time on vacation.

2. "Sales person"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Discount and schedules alot of vacation time

Cons

Company falling apart, stores closing no staff

Advice to Management

Listen to Staff

"Disaster"

Former Employee - Senior Director, Digital in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Director, Digital in New York, NY

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- competitive salary
    - discount...which starts getting old and unattractive for poor quality product
    - brand name on your resume

Cons

This place is a pure disaster.
    - poor management level decisions
    - lack of speed
    - subjective decisions/highest paid opinion
    - legacy technology
    - no understanding of core customer base. Only pretentious focus on top dogs
    - work environment that forces everyone to be an a-hole
    - almost no opportunity for relevant training to perform better
    - the worst HR crew in the business...recruiting, benefits, org partnerships, mobilization
    - LIES to employees about decisions/direction. Everything is about appearances

There is a direct correlation between the work culture/environment to company performance

Advice to Management

- Take the company private
    - reinterview everyone for their current job. Guaranteed that 80% are not competitive for roles at top performing companies

4. "Stay away"

Former Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Former Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice discount if you like Ralph Lauren clothing. Have some nice folks working there. Office space was nice to work in.

Cons

For such a large company the benefits are bare minimum. All the other companies I worked for had better benefits.

Advice to Management

Too much bureaucracy. Takes too many people to make a single decision.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Riverhead, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Riverhead, NY

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Guests I met and developed relationships with embraced the Polo lifestyle and were the only real positive/pros of the job.

Cons

The hourly wage is low. If I was offered a commission for sales generated and a reasonable clothing allowance it would be great. Realizing the work attire is not Brand required any longer there should be hourly increase to minimum wage.

Advice to Management

The primary reason I opted to leave was because of the hostile environment Management encouraged. Since leaving the former Managers District, General as well as Supervisors have been fired or movedto different stores within the Outlet Mall.
     Empowering and positive feedback vs. Unprofessional and negative feedback from Management will have a great impact
     Internal recruitment and mobility wouldn't hurt.

"Operations Associate"

Former Employee - Associate Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Operations Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Systems are up to date and IT really listens to your questions and tries to help as much as possible.

Cons

Relocated position to NJ without asking how anyone felt. Very nasty and not sympathetic when people expressed concern/ questions. Horrible pay couldn't afford to buy lunch sometimes.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Need to improve pay because it is not a live able wage in NYC. Act like you care instead of rolling eyes at employees when they express concerns about job relocation.

7. "Indian micro managers in Information technology"

Former Employee - SAP Technical Architect in Lyndhurst, NJ
    Former Employee - SAP Technical Architect in Lyndhurst, NJ

I worked at Ralph Lauren (More than a year)

Pros

the only thing is the salary and compensation

Cons

Most managers and directors in application development and SAP application were all Indians who were micro managers and kept a very unhealthy and depressive work culture. They laid off American workers and kept Indian workers when the stocks fell last year.

Advice to Management

Look towards hiring American workers as managers who had an education in the US since they see the bigger picture, have the right skill sets and are not micro managers instead of always hiring Indians as managers and directors.

"Reorg Nightmare"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None ... That is, not any longer ... Used to be a great place to work until 2015 .... The beginning of the end ....

Cons

A reorganizational nightmare ... No viable plan to keep those associates who work hard, have a stellar work ethic, are respected by peers and direct reports, and contribute 110% to divisional and company goals. It is all politics and who you know to keep your job. Of course, now the rats are jumping ship ... Resignations flooding in ... Sad, but true ....

Advice to Management

As more cuts are made, going forward (and there will be,) management needs to cull out the true deadbeats who are only there to add "Ralph Lauren" to their resume.

"Not what it seems - Wholesale Offices"

Former Employee - Planner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Planner in New York, NY

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than a year)

Pros

"You get to say you work at Ralph Lauren"and "it looks good on your resume" so they say...

Cons

I mean this in the most professional way possible but, this place sucks.

As one should expect, poor sales mean shaky work environment, which equates to low morale. Things just aren't the same at RL and people are scrambling!
    If you're not a manager, senior employee ( aka work here for over 7+ years with little to non-existent growth) expect to be overworked, unappreciated, given no raise, (unless you were offered a bare min. salary) no bonus potential, and asked to do the most monotonous, conflicting and mind-numbing work. The managerial style here is ineffective and demanding; the kind where they feel the need to be intimidating but really, it's just not their nature. Instead, they will act as if you don't exist and talk around you.
    I honestly don’t think any of the VPs knew my name and I reported into them. Management and directors gave zero constructive and supportive leadership.
    And 'promotions’ only happen when someone leaves.
    But don't forget, YOU GET TO SAY YOU WORK AT RALPH LAUREN!!

I worked hard and did my job well. And I get it. The decline in luxury sales due to fast fashion hasn't been an easy one to compete with. The pressure from up-top demand to keep financials tight and business productive. This is the company's priority.
    However, the mindset here and likely always has been, every man for himself and foster zero teamwork. Even the simplest of tasks and processes go awry. This is just not how you win.
    During my short time here, the quality of life did not match the workload.
    The working conditions became insufferable; appraisals were based off not by performance, but by a balance sheet. So I picked up what little self-respect I had and quit.

Dream job. Wrong time.

Advice to Management

A simple thanks goes a long way

10. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Englewood, CO

I worked at Ralph Lauren (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun to sell nice clothing
    Discounts
    that's all that was good about this company

Cons

Management was terrible my store level to district level
    Overnight floorsets
    Marketing changes take place at night with the shift lasting until midnight every week
    No work life balance