Ramsey Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Ramsey Solutions CEO David L. Ramsey
David L. Ramsey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "When they say that Ramsey Solutions has "work/life balance" - they really mean it" (in 13 reviews)

• "The leadership invests a lot in their team members both professionally and personally" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Bad news - there have been some growing pains associated with that growth" (in 12 reviews)

• "The company is growing so much that finding a parking place can be tough some days" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Doesn't Get Much Better Than This"

Current Employee - Tennessee in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Tennessee in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time

Pros

800 ppl on fire for helping ppl outside these walls. Leaders that care deeply about the teams they serve. A CEO that has tons of energy and tells us so much about why this company exists and where things are headed. Pay is super competitive and the place is growing so fast that it's easy to move up if you are a go getter. This place isn't for everyone...if you aren't into the mission of the place, keep your mall job because this place is way too fast paced and competitive.

Cons

Cramped space...800 ppl in 5 buildings (bldings are a bike ride from each other). New campus on 50 acres ready in 2019.

Advice to Management

Don't let up on this crazy awesome culture as we approach 1000 ppl soon. And as we all wrote in our yearbooks, "don't ever change!"

"Amazing place to work, best culture, values employees and all about helping people"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Spring Hill, TN
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Spring Hill, TN

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This place is simply amazing, the people, the culture, the mission. I have worked at other places and the pay is competitive, benefits are amazing, the special treats like events, lunches, and more make this place remarkable. Most companies are talk when it comes to culture, Ramsey is the real deal and values everyone!

Cons

There are no cons. It’s an amazing place!

"Amazing People, Amazing Place"

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ramsey Solutions is full of talented people who care—like, genuinely care—about each other. It's unlike any other place I've worked, and I am truly excited to see my coworkers each day.

Cons

The company has grown significantly in the last couple of years, and with that growth comes some growing pains. Namely, being spread out across 5 buildings and having limited parking. However, both of these "cons" should be resolved within the year as we are moving to a new location that will house all of us under one roof. Hooray!

"Beware"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, process oriented, they care about your family.

Cons

Cult atmosphere. They will wait months, until you are physically onsite to tell you that its a fire-able offense to have a credit card or get a loan. The first two months they covered the important things like no facebook at work, don't be on your phone all day, they will kick you out at 40 hours, etc.... Somehow you can never have another credit card didn't make that list until you physically visit.

They force you to provide them a budget.

If your not a Dave Ramsey disciple, this is not for you.

Advice to Management

unity in diversity, not unity in uniformity

"Good, growing experience"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nashville, TN

I worked at Ramsey Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Lampo for over 5 years and learned quite a bit from this job. Some of my best friends were made at this company and this place truly does feel like a family (at least on the team I was on). I enjoyed the work I did as well and definitely miss the place.

Cons

The place has become much more corporate, though their events like monthly company lunches, Christmas parties, etc will try and cover it up to seem like a fun, church camp vibe. The last 2 years were quite frustrating due to growing pains on my team, only seeing sales people recognized (and celebrated) for the work they did, and leadership ignoring issues within the team. I saw a lot of people taking on WAY more than should have been required, because we were "in a season", yet that season started 3 years ago and continues to this day (and most of those people aren't adequately compensated). Because of this, turnover is higher than ever. And morale is down. Everything turned into being about numbers (because we have to pay for the new building) and about brand. It got exhausting..I ended up not being motivated to perform at 110% because there was no point- eventually someone on our team would leave and someone, who's already burnt out (myself included) would have to take on their duties until their backfill was found, and not be compensated (but if this were to happen with a sales person, they get compensated, just an FYI). So many people on my team were beyond overworked and then add on the countless weekly meetings (staff mtg, devo, one-on-ones, stand ups), it's like you couldn't get anything done because you had 30 minutes between meetings to actually work.

Advice to Management

Dave- go around and see who stays past 6pm...every day...for years on end. This is not healthy. And leaders, sit down with your team. Listen to your team, and not just what your other leaders say. Actually listen, because most of them have already brought up these issues to you. Really review non-sales comp structure because the administrative comp structure is a joke. And if you have someone who leaves the company after working there for a few years, sit down with them and ask them what could be improved. I was shocked when my leaders or HR never asked me anything. I left on great terms and had easy ideas on how to improve things.

"Is This the Cult for You? A Message to Candidates."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, Christmas party—the usual competitive perks that are available in tech companies these days.

Cons

This review is for candidates who are considering working here. I pulled this from a job description here on Glassdoor:

"This isnt just a job. Its a mission.
    And we need more help.
    But this mission isnt for everyone.
    Its hard. And most people dont have what it takes. "

Apart from the horrifying spelling, there are red flags waving from between the lines. I wish someone had pointed them out to me before I had taken a job here. So I'm going to do exactly that.

LET'S BREAK THIS DOWN:

"This isn't just a job." = That's true. It's a cult. So if you aren't 100% "bought-in" you will be isolated and eventually pushed out of the company.

"And we need more help." = The turnover rate is SO high, especially on the Creative team. Take a look at how many jobs are posted monthly. The good, talented people know to move on. There are 100 people on the Creative team. Larger organizations in the Nashville area who are doing MUCH more complicated things (like building software to help heal people) have Creative teams 1/3 of that size. There's a lot of waste here.

"But this mission isn't for everyone." = Also very true. They will be involved in EVERY aspect of your life. So be prepared. You will submit a budget as part of the interview process. Every debt you have must be listed (they'll claim it's to base your salary off of—but beware of the lack of boundaries). When you inevitably try to enforce your personal boundaries you will be called a "rebel" and black-listed by leadership. Again, this leads to you being pushed out by the company—they've gotten very good at this, hence the horrific reputation they've maintained around Nashville.

"It's hard. And most people don't have what it takes." = They can't retain talented employees, so they call them out when they leave. When someone leaves the company, they're "shunned". It's also been said that the "devil is attacking the Creative team" when a talented member leaves (these are the Creative Director's words, not mine).

This place will change you, but not for the better. Most of the long-term employees are only there because no one else will take them. It's hard to find a job after Ramsey Solutions—you will have a reputation to shed.

So candidates: BEWARE. If you're looking for a Cult, apply here. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Now I understand why so many people who work here are transplants—the reputation of Ramsey Solutions is sullied in the Nashville area. In order to obtain new employees, they must be recruited from other states, because Nashvillians know—this is NOT the place to be. And it will affect the way future employers view you in the area.

"The Best Place to Work. Period."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Highly competitive and generous compensation. Ability to prove yourself. Flexible work schedules. Core values that are actually core values. Ability to help people. CEO is plugged in and cares about helping as many people as he can.

Cons

The only downside is for people who have stopped believing in the mission of what the company is trying to do OR who have low self-awareness about their own abilities. People in those two buckets sometimes stay too long which leads to bad things. Other than that, it's the best place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on.

"If you're looking for perfection, don't look here..."

I worked at Ramsey Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people here really believe what they are doing will change the world. Maybe you agree, maybe you don't, but they work every day to make a difference.

They care about people and they care about families.

They are genuinely thrilled to cheer on every single debt free scream.

Cons

The truth is if you are looking for a group of perfect people, go look somewhere else. There are lots of growing pains, a few dysfunctional managers, and mistakes made. If you want to put your head down, do your best, while cheering your heart out for debt free screams- you'll probably be just fine.

Advice to Management

Keep working out the kinks.

"The grass IS green outside the gates of the compound despite what they will tell you."

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission. SOME of the people. The college kid type perks are great until you realize you’re grossly underpaid to cover the cost of them.

Cons

The glitter wears off after the 1st year. And the brain washing and mind games are draining. So much drama all of the time! Yes, it IS very much a cult, only they encourage good people to leave the moment they notice everything is not all skittles and rainbows! Speaking up is the only “gossip” not protected or tolerated.

The Leadership Team is surprisingly lacking true Entreleaders though you’ll pay a fortune to “learn” from them at the Summit and other live events. Their advice would be more respected if they actually practiced what they preach. Picture the “popular” kids in a high school setting. That’s pretty much the way it is here and they even make songs about being “popular” and joke about “being a big deal around here”. Humble? No. Anyone who doesn’t fit the clique’s “bestie” mode doesn’t stand a chance - they disappear (it’s called The Ramsey Rapture). Incompetent, toxic leaders have tenure and no matter how many good, dedicated people exit, they just refuse to see the forrest for the trees. It’s always the fault of the person who left. Prepare for them to make jokes about you after you’re gone. Makes it awkward for those remaining who are still friends with those that left. Pure immaturity.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the fact that you’ve hired over 100 people this year when you’ve lost more than that. You’re so focused on meeting the quota that you’re letting good, dedicated talent walk out the door. Do the math on the turnover. If you actually listened to your people on their way out or protected them speaking up while here, you might actually have a chance at stopping the bleeding. And no one cares that we got “best place to work 10 times”. We didn’t get it this year because this place isn’t what it’s been over the years .... it’s changing, no longer a best place to be and you’re doing nothing to fix it because you let your ego get in the way. You have the attitude of “well if you don’t like it then leave” vs asking “what about it has changed to make you not like it anymore”? Dave will offer the person who wrote this to collect money and leave like on so many other occasions this year instead of actually absorbing the fact that people who genuinely care are feeling forced out and sad that the company it once was and is capable of being is slowly fading away. It’s a SOS not a rant. The ship has a hole in it and no matter how much water you pump out, it will never have a chance if you don’t repair it. To those applying: run. You’re not good enough and you never will be. You’ll sign up for constant criticism and constantly hear how you don’t measure up. And if you’re not good at office politics you won’t make it. Also, know that the positive reviews are mostly written by PR and HR for damage control. The negative feedback although honest is career suicide. Buyer beware. So why am I still here if I feel this way? You have once said those who leave a job without having one lined up first are irresponsible. That’s the only reason people stay long enough to write these posts. Can’t get out soon enough.

"Not All Sunshine and Roses"

I worked at Ramsey Solutions full-time

Pros

• If you are a skilled worker you'll have a good chance to make a market competitive salary, though in the spirit of fighting "entitlement", you'll receive at least part of it through a complicated pay structure intended to make you feel connected to the earning process and keep you grateful to management.
    • The rank and file are very good people who are good at their jobs. The company prides itself on getting more out of it's workforce than average, and that's possible because of talented and passionate employees.
    • If you enjoy big showy events, you're going to get your fill here. From the Christmas party to catered lunches once a month, a HUGE amount of money and effort is spent to "wow" you.
    • Most of the time, it's easy to see how the work that you are doing helps people.

Cons

• If you aren't a P&L leader or in a technical field, don't expect market pay. You'll be expected to consider other factors as part of your compensation: the missional value of the work, the "event" perks (xmas party, lunches).
    • Get used to hearing how terrible it is to work anywhere else. On at least a weekly basis, you'll be drilled about how bad nearly all other companies treat their people and how their work doesn't matter like it does here.
    • For a small company (< 600 at the time) they have become remarkably corporate, despite their insistence that resisting a corporate mentality is part of their core values. In recent years, introducing new ideas is incredibly tedious, requiring board, leadership and sub-committee approval, painstaking planning, and the end result is frequently failure and overspending. The agile, market sensitive mentality has been gone from there for years in favor of mass appeal and a "world domination" mentality.
    • Dave is a strong leader, hell-bent on accomplishing his goals, but that can get sideways sometimes. The internal witch-hunt that followed his discovery of someone bad-mouthing him on Twitter was scary. He literally offered thousands of dollars to any employee that turned in another employee for bad-mouthing the company. He instructed his HR team to infiltrate a private Facebook group of former employees so he could find out what they were saying about him. Then he posted their names and negative comments on the screen during the all-company staff meeting so everyone could know who to shun. And from what I'm reading here, this type of stuff is still going on today.
    • Speaking of the all-company staff meeting, there was the time Dave waved a handgun around for the shock value of teaching us all that the things we say publicly were even more deadly than his gun.

Advice to Management

As others have pointed out here, it's unlikely that any advice given here would reach willing ears. Management knows what it's doing and has decided those things complained about on here are the best way to accomplish their goals. I worked there for nearly 10 years, left on good terms, and wasn't even offered an exit interview (though I've heard that policy has since changed). They don't value the opinions of anyone on the "outside", be that former employees, new hires, or SME's. I write this so that potential employees will know what they're in for. Some may be willing to deal with all the cons, but just know that the reviewers saying there are no negative aspects of working there are not being honest with themselves.