KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 191 of over 198 reviews

3.6
Ramsey Solutions CEO David L. Ramsey
David L. Ramsey
Pros
  • "Christmas party: The most epic event I've ever been to, and it happens every year(in 24 reviews)

• "Experienced team members are eager to teach(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains as the company gets bigger, no remote work options(in 15 reviews)

• "Benefits are horrible, especially the health insurance(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Place

Aug 3, 2021 - Sales Development Representative (SDR) in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Takes care of its workers and a very fun culture

Cons

Sometimes can seem hypocritical in some areas

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 2.0

Look Elsewhere to Grow Your Career

Jun 23, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyed working with many of the individuals that I met at the company. I really enjoyed the team atmosphere. Also, it is gratifying to know that the work you are doing is helping people better their financial situation.

Cons

No remote options. Pay is below market average. Company is constantly in the news for negative things. Leadership (low-level to board-level) is lacking and indecisive; there seems to be an absence of vision and strategy. The company blurs the line between business and religion in an uncomfortable way. There are no non-Christians that work here. There are no openly LGBT people who work here. The process to get hired at Ramsey is rigorous, but not in a technical way; much of it is to suss out whether or not you are a "culture fit"--not whether you are the most qualified for the job. They frequently frame business decisions in religious terms (i.e. "we feel God moving us toward this"), which has backfired spectacularly on some occasions. It also feels incredibly weird to have an employer that is so interested in regulating the sexual lives of its employees.

22 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

A Cult Through and Through

Aug 4, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Franklin, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

None. Really and truly. None Some of the people are nice to work with. Office location is not downtown. Dress code is lenient. You get free tshirts

Cons

Too many to list. This company cares about one and only one thing: making Dave and his buddies rich, richer, and richest. Don’t believe the cult speak, you are not doing work that matters, you are not making a difference in anyone’s life…except for Dave, his family, and his friends Dishonest. Uses religion to justify their actions but, at the same time, they act in a horribly unethical manner. In the end, they use religion to help them make more money which, frankly, is disgusting The amount of backscratching and nepotism going on here is unbelievable. One of the higher ups, a close friend of Dave’s, embezzled millions of dollars. Millions. Nothing was ever done, he was let go, of course, but on many occasions Dave himself said he would bring him back This place is truly a cult and if you don’t join the cult mindset quickly you will be gone. Dave loves to constantly say “this is not corporate America” He’s right. I’ve worked for corporate America and they are much more ethical and above board than this place Pay is below market value. Benefits are horrendous. Here’s a thought, instead of a self serving Christmas party, give your employees decent health care. Remote work will never happen because Dave has bred a culture of fear where no one can be trusted unless they are constantly watched Diversity is non existent. You won’t even find a single person with a physical disability because, to be blunt, they are intolerant

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Job. Great environment 90% of the time.

Jul 29, 2021 - Creative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team! Doing something that really has an impact on peoples lives. Tons of opportunities to advance.

Cons

Lacks innovation in some areas. There is a sense of sacred cows for some departments. Others innovate well depending on the leadership of the department.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing company for the right person

Jun 27, 2021 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I'm writing this review for any prospective engineers/developers (software, data, analyst), because I read through all of the hundreds of Glassdoor reviews before deciding to come on board and they seem to be laden with a misrepresentation of this company. -If you are a Christian, this company is probably the best working environment you could hope for. There are weekly devotionals and staff meetings that are highly motivational and refreshing. -If you are not a Christian, if you are open minded about the religion and lifestyle, it could be a great place. However, if you are annoyed by other people's unashamed Christianity, you will probably hate it here. Everyone here is unashamed about their faith. -The engineers are extremely competent. I interviewed at a post IPO tech company that is worth several billion dollars, making it to the final round (post technical rounds). I had several offers, some with higher compensation, from very good companies for developer positions. I'm extremely happy I decided on Ramsey. They have guys that have been in tech for over 30 years, as well as the young wiz-kid programmers. -As a dev, you get to go see the end result of your code (especially if you are matrixed to a business unit). This is something that's pretty rare as most real developers don't get to see the end result of the product they're working on, let alone the people they're helping.

Cons

-You will be exhausted after most days. There really is not down time while you are in the building. You are not doing busy work, everything is intentional, but at the end of the day you'll be ready for a nap. -The tech team is young but does have some very experienced devs from other companies (Microsoft, Oracle, etc) that say this is the best place they've worked. That said, there is a lot of working in ambiguity, particularly on the tech side.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

ANXIETY

Jul 26, 2021 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers were amazing! Some of the hardest working and most dedicated people that I've had the pleasure of working with.

Cons

I developed major anxiety while working as an account executive at RS. I literally went to the doctor because I thought I was developing a heart condition. Turns out I developed anxiety from the amount of stress that was placed on the sales people. I was having heart palpatations, trouble sleeping, and near on panic attacks. Their sales tactics are to run employees into the ground. I was in the top 3 for my team nearly every month and never felt like I was successful or doing enough. Be prepared to be treated like a child. They will count your calls and emails expecting an insanely high number a day. Meaning that the days where I had many prospect meetings (which leads to sales) meant that I would have to stay late just to leave a bunch of voicemails. It is micromanaging to it's finest. I was also regularly pitted against my co-workers. Yes, competition is great in sales but they turn it into a major negative and prevents team collaboration. One time I sent a recorded call that I had to my manager because it went poorly and I was looking for feedback. Instead of meeting with me to work on what I can improve on he played it for the whole team without asking my permission or letting me know beforehand. Everyone then went around and said what I did wrong. It was deeply upsetting and embarrassing, I was looking for guidance and was met with shame. It is very true that people are fearful to speak up. Every co-worker that I got close to was severely burnt out and struggling to maintain their mental health and any sort of work life balance. Plus, they make you take an hour lunch break every day (which no one ever took the hour) leading to pretty much a 9 hour work day. Not to mention nearly everyone on my team had to come in early and stay late every day to try and reach goals in order to get paid to feed our families. One month where my team beat all records we were met with them telling us that we should double our calls in order to double the money. If you've ever worked in sales you know it doesn't work that way. Pretty much I was in a call center. It's unfortunate that they have treated their employees in such a negative and disheartening way for being a Christian company. I was respected and treated far better in the secular companies that I have worked for. The absolute shock to me still was the girl that was fired for becoming pregnant outside of wed-lock. Ummm HELLO the Christian thing to do would be to love her, help her, and guide her through this challenging time. NOT to fire her leaving her without a job as a new to be single mother. This story was absolutely heart breaking to me and I realized I could not be apart of an organization that would think that was ok just because she had sex outside of wed-lock. We don't have to agree with her actions, but as a Christian we are called to love her and care for her. The things that Dave Ramsey said throughout my career at RS were often shocking and upsetting. It's ok to have differences of opinion, it's ok to question leadership on decisions, it's ok to love others despite their sins.

10 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Point of no return, got out.

Feb 28, 2021 - Software Developer in Franklin, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the co-workers. No expectations to work over your schedule, and there IS some flexibility to scheduling.

Cons

Many. They’ve been shared in quite a few other reviews. When you walk through the doors to begin the workday, there is a a vibe of conformity. Many times a concern that you voice can be taken as gossip, going against the company “No Gossip” policy. Health care plan gets pricey. One of the really bad facets is this. Market Value for your position is a joke here, because, “they can line up 6 or 7 other seekers who to work at RS. I left at the end of 2020. That because another company just 14 miles from where I live wanted me at starting pay, yes, start at 18k more a year than what I was making two and a half years in with RS. Some people say not fair. True, and the expectation is you get out.

43 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0

Not for the weak

Feb 5, 2021 - Anonymous in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work/life balance. When it’s fun, it’s really fun. Unique opportunity with lots of room for advancement.

Cons

It can be really draining with the us vs. the world mentality. You will get lots of scrutiny and questions from people you meet who hear/see/read stuff about Dave and the company. Cliquey which results in what feels like a boy’s club. So much red tape and meetings. They promote people before they are ready which results in lots of poor leaders. If Dave ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy and you’re gonna know it (Dave is unhappy a lot and it is mainly his own doing.)

58 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Incredible people doing life changing work!

May 8, 2021 - Director of Production
      Business Outlook

Pros

Incredible company culture, very focused in individual and spiritual growth, and collective results. There is a clear mission and very clear expectations. I also love that our board is made up of 100% on site full time team members and there is no “ivory tower” at Ramsey. We also put a premium on having the best tools for our jobs. There is not cutting corners with technology resources or things that will support or help people do excellent work. I have watched this company pay off millions of dollars in other peoples debts, give huge gifts to help team members in need, and the biggest part is that everyone at the organization is walking the talk. We live what we teach and I’ve never been somewhere where that’s so present. I also live that it’s competitive to get a job here! A culture and place operating at such a high level had to work hard to guard the excellence inside its walls and it makes me feel cared for. Don’t work here if you don’t have a backbone, want to put in the minimum effort or skate by, or don’t have some grit in you. This is hard work but it’s the most rewarding work I’ve ever done in my life, and I taught middle school.

Cons

No dental or eye insurance:( the goal is that we’re all self ensured, and Dave offers a good alternative with an excellent HSA matching program, but it’s tough if you have bigger expenses in these areas and you’re not far enough along in the baby steps to save or invest enough to cover a dental or vision emergency.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Foundation shaky, leadership in question, five star hysterics.

Jan 31, 2021 - Marketing Specialist in Franklin, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The materials are very good and needed by so many families and individuals. A vast array of products to reach many. Someone can even benefit just by reading a few of the books. The parties are great and over the top. The new building, much needed and state-of-the-art.

Cons

Dishonesty runs rampant in this workplace. I didn't want to believe it because of the company being heralded as one of the best places to work. I've been here for almost five years and you can almost grab the dishonesty out of the air. Bring it to your leaders? Don't hold your breath. We are called team members and at times it seems like anything but. Have a disagreement with something going on? Just tow the line and do what you're told. The 5^star reviews. Do they (the writers) think you are dumb? Over and over again the same words are used in the 5^star review titles. The "best", "great", "amazing", "awesome". Then you move on to the substance of these reviews, or lack of. Not all 5^star reviews, but if you look through many of them, they're so short. No honest explanation of why the best or so great. Somewhat makes you wonder if a few employees on the inside are told....no that would not be it. The benefits are ok at best. Health insurance? Get ready to pay for it.

46 people found this review helpful