Ramsey Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

Ramsey Solutions Reviews

Updated February 19, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Ramsey Solutions CEO David L. Ramsey
David L. Ramsey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • When they say that Ramsey Solutions has "work/life balance" - they really mean it (in 13 reviews)

• The leadership invests a lot in their team members both professionally and personally (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad news - there have been some growing pains associated with that growth (in 10 reviews)

• The company is growing so much that finding a parking place can be tough some days (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Place to Work!"

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The culture, the mission, the leadership, the growth, flex time, benefits, paid maternity leave, lots of fun perks! We are spoiled here seriously!!! :) Been here several years and it just keeps getting better and better! This place has changed me and my family's life in the best ways possible and they have taken such great care of us when times have been tough. It is like a family here for sure. Dave is the REAL DEAL and so are the other leaders on board. I can't believe that each day I wake up looking forward to going to work... I never dread it. I get to come in to work each day and see some of my best friends. :) So blessed!

Cons

Everything is pretty AMAZING. The only thing I could think of is for more flexibility/part-time options for working moms. We are very well taken care of but I wish there were options for a mom who didn't want to leave this place but wanted to be more present in their child's life during the early years before grade school.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! You guys are the best and I am so grateful and always will be.

"Great Place"

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time

Pros

Work that matters. Leaders who understand that family matters as well.

Cons

Depending upon your preferences required staff meetings and other routines can get old.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. The vast majority of people love it here.

"Not All Sunshine and Roses"

I worked at Ramsey Solutions full-time

Pros

• If you are a skilled worker you'll have a good chance to make a market competitive salary, though in the spirit of fighting "entitlement", you'll receive at least part of it through a complicated pay structure intended to make you feel connected to the earning process and keep you grateful to management.
    • The rank and file are very good people who are good at their jobs. The company prides itself on getting more out of it's workforce than average, and that's possible because of talented and passionate employees.
    • If you enjoy big showy events, you're going to get your fill here. From the Christmas party to catered lunches once a month, a HUGE amount of money and effort is spent to "wow" you.
    • Most of the time, it's easy to see how the work that you are doing helps people.

Cons

• If you aren't a P&L leader or in a technical field, don't expect market pay. You'll be expected to consider other factors as part of your compensation: the missional value of the work, the "event" perks (xmas party, lunches).
    • Get used to hearing how terrible it is to work anywhere else. On at least a weekly basis, you'll be drilled about how bad nearly all other companies treat their people and how their work doesn't matter like it does here.
    • For a small company (< 600 at the time) they have become remarkably corporate, despite their insistence that resisting a corporate mentality is part of their core values. In recent years, introducing new ideas is incredibly tedious, requiring board, leadership and sub-committee approval, painstaking planning, and the end result is frequently failure and overspending. The agile, market sensitive mentality has been gone from there for years in favor of mass appeal and a "world domination" mentality.
    • Dave is a strong leader, hell-bent on accomplishing his goals, but that can get sideways sometimes. The internal witch-hunt that followed his discovery of someone bad-mouthing him on Twitter was scary. He literally offered thousands of dollars to any employee that turned in another employee for bad-mouthing the company. He instructed his HR team to infiltrate a private Facebook group of former employees so he could find out what they were saying about him. Then he posted their names and negative comments on the screen during the all-company staff meeting so everyone could know who to shun. And from what I'm reading here, this type of stuff is still going on today.
    • Speaking of the all-company staff meeting, there was the time Dave waved a handgun around for the shock value of teaching us all that the things we say publicly were even more deadly than his gun.

Advice to Management

As others have pointed out here, it's unlikely that any advice given here would reach willing ears. Management knows what it's doing and has decided those things complained about on here are the best way to accomplish their goals. I worked there for nearly 10 years, left on good terms, and wasn't even offered an exit interview (though I've heard that policy has since changed). They don't value the opinions of anyone on the "outside", be that former employees, new hires, or SME's. I write this so that potential employees will know what they're in for. Some may be willing to deal with all the cons, but just know that the reviewers saying there are no negative aspects of working there are not being honest with themselves.

"But Wait, There's More........"

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This place is full of passionate people, and opportunity and generosity that flows from the top to the bottom and outside of the walls. We care about people and our community and each other. Some days are easy, some are a grind, some just suck and some days have so much fun packed in them, people wonder how we get work done. So do I sometimes. LOL! But wait there’s more…….

I came into the company not quite knowing what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I just wanted to work. If was going to spend 40 hours a week away from my family, I wanted that work to be something that mattered. I not only found “work,” I found a mission I could get behind. We provided HOPE for all those outside of our walls. We also provide hope to those inside the walls as well.

Many of us are debit free or working toward it. For me, the hope came in a different form. I thought I had spent all my best working years on a job I liked but I didn’t love and being a mom (I love my kiddos). I felt a little rusty and old (in work years). They put me on the right team with the right leaders and I was given a safe place to grow. I was surrounded by people who wanted to see me win. My leader always held me with an open hand and I moved on when it was time. I was all in and I worked hard and they rewarded me with more. That’s how this place works. I was so busy giving hope, I did not realize I was receiving it in return. Now I have a team and I will give them the same thing that was given to me.

Is Ramsey Solutions perfect? Nope, but I will continue to show up every day because there are people who exist outside of those walls who need HOPE and we have a lot to give.

Cons

We are spread out in different buildings but they will change in Fall of 2019.

Advice to Management

Always share how far we've come. Sharing history makes a bright future.

"Amazing Culture"

Current Employee - Director of Quality Assurance – Automation in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Director of Quality Assurance – Automation in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From the start, I could tell Ramsey Solutions was not going to be like any other company I had worked for in my 35-year career. Early in the interview process I was introduced to their Core Values and I liked what I heard. For once, a company actually living up to their core values was a breath of fresh air. It enabled us, as Team Members, to work effectively while genuinely caring of one another. We have a remarkable leader in Dave Ramsey who leads by example and has a passion for helping others.

Cons

If you don’t like being stretched and challenged to grow then you won’t like working for Ramsey Solutions. If you are looking to simply bring home a paycheck then this is not the company for you.

Advice to Management

Keep leading by example. Hire world class leaders that are visionaries with a heart for others. Keep investing and growing our Team Members and inspire them to great things. Stay humble and teachable and above all, continually remind us who we are ultimately serving with our talents and lives.

"Best Place to Work ever!"

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with this organization over 15 years and have been promoted 3 times and am one of many women in leadership here who reap the benefits of having a CEO who truly doesn't see gender (or race, etc.) when handing out opportunities. It's such the opposite of what many women encounter in the workforce that we're hearing from so much lately in the news. I'm truly grateful and pinch myself every day that I get to be a part of this amazing company, doing amazing work and working with my best friends and HAVING FUN!

Cons

We are growing so fast that we're experiencing some crowded work spaces and it's uncomfortable...but we know it's temporary since our new campus is being built as we speak!

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been a team member for almost 6 years. I am thankful for Ramsey Solutions and value the leadership and vision of this company. I also value how our leadership respects and cares for the individual and their families. I've seen this happen over and over.

It's wonderful to work for a company that has a clear purpose - bringing hope to others. It IS what we do and all that we do feeds into this desire.

Not only do we have a team who cares, a mission of bringing hope to others but we also have fun here. I enjoy the people I work with and look forward to coming to work.

There is opportunity to grow at Ramsey Solutions. After 1 year I moved into a more senior position and since then have taken on more reponsibility. As a female looking to advance in my career, my leader has been a great encourager in my professional growth, as has Ramsey Solutions.

Cons

A lot of people on Glassdoor mention that we move fast and there can be a lot of change. It's true, we work hard and there is change. When it comes to change, it's always good change, and change with a purpose.

We are spread among 4 different buildings and that can make meetings tricky but it's doable and not long term. (We are building a new location and look forward to it!)

"Mostly good memories...."

I worked at Ramsey Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Very nice people (for the most part).
    - Helping people with their finances is important and fulfilling.
    - Dave’s kids are starting to play a bigger role in the company. They are surprisingly not spoiled or entitled. Rachel is especially delightful to work with.
    - They take leadership very seriously. Leaders are held to a high standard.
    - Dave really is a great guy. He is a little more intense than needed, and a generation or two behind the times....No one is perfect.

Cons

- The organization is very bloated for the amount of revenue and work that is done. This causes a lot of bureaucratic policies. The amount of meetings and sign offs to get simple decisions made can be excruciating.
    - The company doesn’t handle criticism well, and they love a good witch hunt. Read the Dave Ramsey twitter debacle from the daily beast a couple years ago (it is almost 100% accurate, although not as extreme as presented).

"Warning: Positive Reviews Staged as Damage Control"

I have been working at Ramsey Solutions full-time

Pros

Very little, but free food is always a plus. Then there's the Christmas party.

Cons

It's important to note that several of these reviews have been staged by PR as damage control to an article written by a former employee that exposes the toxic truth of working in this septic environment. The article was published on February 1st and on February 7th Dave had one of his infamous rants about it to the entire company, on stage. I'd be weary of any positive review written on that date or shortly after (especially if it addresses the subject matter of the article: women in the workplace and how they're treated at Ramsey Solutions).

Advice to Management

The fact that PR and internal teams are so apt to respond to this article proves that all is not well in the house of Ramsey.

"Marketing Team"

Former Employee - Marketing in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Nashville, TN

I worked at Ramsey Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people (your peers) are incredible. They bring you in, love you well and when you're just working on your day-to-day tasks, it'a great place. If you are content to work at a place with lots of fun, in-office perks and nice people you will be really happy here.

If you want any kind of advancement, more responsibility, respect, etc. from your leaders then you will not be happy here for more than a few years.

Christian company is both a pro and a con. Pro in that your peers will be the nicest souls you'll ever know. They will pray for you, rally around others, etc. They are generous and sincere. The con is that leadership uses "God" as a weapon. They will use "God" as a reason to fire, hire and do whatever they want.

Cons

You can be promoted from within... if you're friends with the right people. That's truly all it takes. They will promote the funny, charismatic novice over someone who has loyally worked (but been quiet about their accomplishments) for YEARS. I saw it happen first hand dozens and dozens of times. If you're not in bed with the right people, you'll never advance.

It's particularly difficult to work here as a woman, and not because of the men... but because of the women on the board who personify female cattiness. They want to be the only ones on top. On the same day they wear a mini skirt, they will call you into their office to tell you that "men are visual creatures, and your clothes fit you too well. you should go up a size." (Actual, mortifying conversation with SS) They will stand up in staff meeting, all smiles (in front of Dave) and say "welcome in the new people! make them feel at home!" and then an hour later COMPLETELY ignore your existence in the elevator (JS).

If you're liked by the right people, this will be the best job you ever had. If you're the other 90% of the company, you will hustle and hustle and hustle and never get the praise, raise and affirmation you deserve. But hey, you get 1,000 at Christmas so you should shut up and be grateful right?

And when you feel like it's time to move on.... good luck. You will pushed out so fast and treated like the enemy. "God's calling" is an excuse only they can use, apparently.

Advice to Management

This isn't advice to management... because the people who need it will dismiss it. But to Dave and his few, genuine people on the board - you have got to start weeding out the leaders who are toxic. There are so many. It doesn't matter if they say or do the right thing, if their team turnover is high (100 people gone this year... ), they don't often promote from within, they seem to always have "drama"... there's probably a common denominator. This place means too much to too many people and has changed too many lives for the better for it to be ruined by the rats it houses.