Cover image for Ramsey Solutions

Ramsey Solutions CEO David L. Ramsey
David L. Ramsey

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Ramsey Solutions and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Great place to work

Nov 27, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of talent to learn from - they’re not joking when they say they hire “thoroughbreds” Great workplace culture. You’re either going to love it or hate it. Easy to figure out during interview process. Hard work and dedication is often noticed and rewarded. However, not at the expense of your family/personal time. They really mean it when they say they value family as a core value. Great workplace amenities and benefits.

Cons

Fairly strict no work from home policy with the exception of snow days. No dental/vision insurance.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Mixed Feelings

Nov 28, 2022 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you are a conservative Christian, this will be one of the best cultures you ever work in. It has a fun, church-camp vibe. The events like Battle of the Bands, Christmas Party, and Spelling Bee are epic and high-quality. The work has purpose and you will see a lot of lives changed by the products. The caliber of talent at Ramsey Solutions is mind-blowing and co-workers will also be some of the kindest, most compassionate people you have ever meet. The people are truly what make Ramsey Solutions so special.

Cons

Ramsey Solutions is an easy place to experience burnout. While you are not expected to work intense hours, you are expected to run at maximum speed all day when in the building, which means you have no energy left for your family when you get home. There is no flexibility to work from home, even if you have a legitimate reason, and the company is not going to change it’s policy on that, no matter how many people resign for remote/hybrid work. The company spends a lot of time monitoring everyone's personal life which will feel odd, especially coming from a for-profit business . Leadership is a pro and con. If you have a great leader, this will be the best job you’ve ever had. If you have a bad leader, you will be miserable, regardless of the meaningful work you are doing. I had both in my time there and determined that’s what makes the difference.

7 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Ramsey Solutions team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Gets Uglier the Further In You Get.

Oct 11, 2022 - Senior Marketer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The talent. Many of the workers in this workplace are highly talented. Very, very good at what they do. All kinds of personalities. Makes for a unique environment to work in. The building is a real gem.

Cons

It cannot be overstated that for MOST, this is not a long-term career. What looked liked and was pushed as "The best place to work" has flaw after flaw. You must be very willing to put forth a great amount of ego to even try to get ahead. Any dissent, even constructive? Try to bring it up to your leaders and you are the one that is trouble. There's only one way to go in here, and that is --Get With It Or Get Out--. Which is truly sad because I was there long enough to see some go-getters come forward with good ideas.....only to get shut down. The atmosphere that creates is nauseating at times, but live and let live. Just let that slide by because you could not possibly be nearing a leadership role if you don't 100% agree with the mantra ALL the time. You have to sift through the reviews on this very site and decide which ones are true. You have a brain. There is an awful lot of glowing and flowing on here. And when the not-so-positive-criticisms make it on here, there is a quick effort to tamp them down. We have to get how great this workplace is and 5-star as many as possible. The word "toxic" is elevated quite a bit now.

12 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Acquired taste

Nov 14, 2022 - Copywriter in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have met some of the best people I’ve ever encountered. They pour into you spiritually, emotionally, and professionally, and they genuinely care about you. I’ve had a really hard time in my personal life, and my leader brought it to the higher ups to see if there was anything they could do to support me beyond my salary—and they did. Your experience really will depend on your leader and business unit, but by and large the people here are the best.

Cons

You have to keep your head down. Focus on the work you’re doing and improving your craft or however you wanna say it. Because as soon as you put almost any critical thinking into anything the higher ups do or say, things start to crumble a bit. No remote work sucks too.

6 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Psychological Rollercoaster.

Sep 1, 2022 - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company produces high quality software. There are opportunities to learn and grow in the craft of engineering. The facilities are nice and the food is good. There are a lot of smart people to learn from.

Cons

Low pay. Cult-like environment. Leadership is manipulative in all the worst ways: emotional and spiritual. Promotion criteria is bizarre and relates to how good you make everyone feel (popularity contest) rather than your performance as a professional. Flakey, unreliable leadership. The job is not actually what is advertised. There is no truth in this place (moral relativism) there is only what the company says. No remote work allowed except when it's granted to your peers. Success is kissing up to the right people, not actually doing your job well. Not a good place to work but possibly an okay place to use as a stepping stone to a better company, if you're desperate. Best career opportunities are from walking out the door.

23 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Crippled by Micromanagement

Oct 13, 2022 - Software Engineer III
    Business Outlook

Pros

A high-energy work environment, profit sharing, great food at an affordable price, caring co-workers, and the peace of mind that comes from knowing that your work truly benefits everyone in America.

Cons

A monumental level of importance is placed on procedures. There are many dogmas at work in Ramsey's technological departments, and they all serve to cripple the productivity of their product engineering (i.e., software development) teams. It's difficult to explain, but Ramsey is one of those companies that thinks they have software down to such a science that they are above the established wisdom of the software engineering industry. They believe there is a right way and a million wrong ways of doing software development, and I'll give you one guess as to whose way is correct. Imagine a company completely free of bureaucracy, able to forge an efficient path forward in their software engineering endeavors, unhampered by regulations from the government, banks, healthcare, etc., but instead of capitalizing on their incredible gift of freedom, they choose to shackle themselves with more policies and procedures than I ever experienced working for the government. Management rewards those who recite their daily profession of faith in Kanban, strong static typing, "ideation" (a term I have grown to loath to such an extent I cannot speak it aloud), excessive numbers of planning meetings, and ADRs (architectural design records, or as I like to call them, a complete waste of time and effort, but more on them later). I cannot tell you how many times I have put forth a small merge request (perhaps 40 lines changed), and have had it stalled in code review for a period of days until it reached the sprawling length of 200 or more lines changed, with the additional changes accomplishing nothing other than arbitrary refactorings that in no way improve the quality of the codebase, along with the obligatory ADR. Oh my, ADRs. Before coming to Ramsey I had never heard of an ADR, and now I can see why. ADRs are essentially long-winded recaps of software design meetings, outlining the primary problem under study, the decisions weighed, and the solution accepted. If this sounds useful to you, it's not. Because we were all expected to produce them on a regular basis, most ADRs were quickly and sloppily thrown together, and all of them found their way into a networked folder that no one ever bothered curating. No one ever referenced our ADRs once they were written, either. Trying to find anything useful in that mess would be like trying to untangle the Gordian Knot. Thus, ADRs assumed the status of a report, a piece of paperwork we had to complete any time we added a new feature to our relatively small codebase. The more I think about why on earth why on earth we suffered from such a massive degree of micromanagement, the more I fixated on the word "management." Ramsey is a company that lives and dies by its middle management. Each software product team is about 40% managers: product managers, project managers (there is a difference), technical leads, technical managers, marketing managers, business leads, and more. Every day I spent about 50% of my day reporting to my myriad managers. Trying to find a blessed moment to program the very thing I was hired to develop was incredibly difficult. Many of these men and women were nice enough, but their job revolved around the act of not trusting their software developers. They requested updates, in about four different written forms, every single day: JIRA updates, Microsoft Teams updates, updates on GitHub (yes, our managers actually read our GitHub PRs and demanded we make changes to our PR descriptions), email updates, and our big weekly report. If you have not yet grown to fear the productivity paralysis that comes with a glut of middle managers lording over you each and every moment of the day, spend a year at Ramsey. Nothing will make you want to never work for a corporation again like the pain and suffering of not being able to concentrate for 2 minutes straight without an interruption from a manager. The last topic I want to touch on is their professed "work-life balance." It's in their core values (well, the value is called "Family," but same diff). Ramsey prides itself on allowing its employees ample time to spend with their families, as opposed to making its employees work overtime and depriving them of the most valuable thing this life has to offer: time with loved ones. However, in my experience, Ramsey's work culture was exactly the opposite. No one on my team worked less than nine hours a day, many exceeding 10. It was not uncommon for software developers to get to work at 6:30 in the morning and stay until 5:00 PM. I liked the typical 9-6 work schedule, but I quickly learned this was not acceptable to Ramsey. I was expected to be at work no later than 8:00 AM (although I was promised a flexible start time by my recruiter, probably the most boldfaced lie I was sold by the company), and if I left before 5:30 I would be questioned, KGB style. "Are you happy here? You seem to be leaving work early. Is there some reason you don't want to come in when everyone else does?" It was creepy, to say the least, and outright manipulative at worst. I would go as far as to say that at Ramsey you are not allowed to be a normal professional, and I honestly don't think they would be upset by me saying that. I mean that employees are not valued for their productivity. They are valued based on arbitrary metrics the company has devised for assessing their employees' merit. These include but are not limited to: how late they are willing to work, how many company functions they attend on a regular basis, how many jokes they tell at work, how many times they interrupt meetings (and by this I mean that Ramsey actually wants their employees to disrupt meetings, and if you don't they don't believe that you're engaged with the topic at hand), how high their D on their DISC test is (look it up, it's like Strengths Finder for idiots), and how many corporate platitudes they recite on a regular basis. You cannot come and go gently. If you devised the most ingenious software solution the company had ever seen, but you had less than 5 years invested at Ramsey and did not say enough hail Daves every day, you would be brushed aside as a loser. Ramsey is all about politics, and many software professionals will not enjoy the act of playing them.

17 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Overall a positive experience

Sep 7, 2022 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall, I had a very positive experience during my time with Ramsey. I learned a lot and was given a lot of chances to grow. The people working at Ramsey are some of the best. You won't hear any gossip or negative talk—everyone is about the business of getting work done while having fun and enjoying each others company.

Cons

Quitting is a really big deal. I wanted to leave for quite a while, but was constantly reminded during meetings and conversations how terrible it is to work at other places and that you can never come back if you do leave. They put a lot of fear in my head about the topic. When I did resign, it was such a huge relief and I was immediately glad. That said, no one from my team I left behind reached out to check on me even though we had worked together for years and talked almost every day prior. You're either in or you're out—and when you quit, you're pretty much out all the way out. There were some things I enjoyed about the conservative environment. There were a lot of things though that felt like over-reach. They were a lot more opinionated about my personal and spiritual life than my own pastor/church/family and sometimes came off as not actually caring about me as a person—just how I (and others) behaved. I'm a pretty conservative person myself and wasn't actually doing anything crazy, but I had a lot of fear around keeping up my image while there. Pay was not comparable to similar jobs outside the organization. I more than doubled my salary within a year of leaving.

12 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great Place to Work

Oct 17, 2022 - Software Engineering Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great mission, outstanding culture, great people, competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind...no real cons

10. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great community. Can feel like a startup.

Sep 12, 2022 - Digital Marketer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people and community you get in this office. If you’re from out of town, you’ll make friends at the office in no time. People are welcoming. There’s also fun events the company puts together. If you’re hungry to learn and grow, this is your place!

Cons

Feels like a start up at times due to lack of consistency and systems and processes. A lot can be put on your plate if you allow it to happen. Be cautious about this if you’re driven/hungry to grow. Important to have boundaries here. Compensation can be better. Promoting within can also use some work/improvement.

1 person found this review helpful
  11. 5.0

Consistent

Sep 29, 2022 - Sales Enablement Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture Growth Leadership Time Off 401K Benefits Good Place to work

Cons

Health Care Work at the office

Viewing 1 - 10 of 240 Reviews
</>Embed

Ramsey Solutions Reviews FAQs

Ramsey Solutions has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 256 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at Ramsey Solutions to a friend and 79% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Ramsey Solutions employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Ramsey Solutions. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

78% of Ramsey Solutions employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Ramsey Solutions 4.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Ramsey Solutions to be benefits, career development, senior leadership and the cons to be compensation .

Popular Careers with Ramsey Solutions Job Seekers