KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Ramsey Solutions

Engaged Employer

Ramsey Solutions

Add a Review

Ramsey Solutions Employee Reviews about "health insurance"

Updated Oct 25, 2020

Found 8 of over 194 reviews

3.6
Ramsey Solutions CEO David L. Ramsey
David L. Ramsey
Pros
  • "Christmas party: The most epic event I've ever been to, and it happens every year(in 24 reviews)

• "Experienced team members are eager to teach(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains as the company gets bigger, no remote work options(in 15 reviews)

• "Benefits are horrible, especially the health insurance(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "health insurance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Amazing Culture, Talented Workforce, Unified Mission

Jan 20, 2019 - Front End Developer in Brentwood, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team is remarkably unified in purpose and vision. Everyone treats everyone else with respect, kindness, and trust. We don't hire slackers -- I trust all of my teammates to do the job right, and vice versa. There is a stupid amount of talent at the company. I honestly believe we have the most talented engineering/development team in the region. Given our size, it's remarkable how much work we get done. Our development standards are uncommonly high. It's genuinely refreshing to see this level of developer excellence at a company that isn't Google/Microsoft/Facebook. Leaders care deeply for their teammates at a personal level. They do everything in their power to serve and fight for their teams. There is little bureaucracy -- leadership is accessible all the way up. We're given a ton of autonomy to innovate and pursue the right solutions. Experienced team members are eager to teach. We're given ample space to train and develop new skills. We have great tools/equipment/services. Leadership development is a core value regardless of your position. Work life balance! It's a real thing, and you are better off for it. You work 40 solid hours and that's it. Compensation is competitive. Team events are over the top and a ton of fun. It often feels like a family. The people are the best. I never dread going to work. Dave is a world class leader and speaks to the whole company almost every week. Leadership at the top is super transparent.

Cons

We're currently spread out amongst a bunch of different buildings, which makes it difficult to get familiar with certain teams. That'll change soon with our new campus this summer. The org structure can be confusing. Some teams work pretty siloed, which is exacerbated by how spread out we are. Health insurance can be expensive.

5 people found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

No Longer the Place It Claims to Be

Oct 25, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The company puts out meaningful products that has helped millions of people with their finances - The actual workers - designers, writers, developers, sales people, content producers - are extremely talented and people of high character. I never felt like I was working with someone who was just filling a seat. Every person I interacted with outside of management was extremely talented yet humble for their age, and easily could find work anywhere. - You might win the team selection lottery and end up on a good team with great leaders who shield you from some of the ugliness that goes on in other parts of the company. - You are love-bombed twice a year with company events that are very much over the top - It is extremely rare to work overtime at the building. You almost always get to go home at your pre-selected end-of-day time. Working on the weekend is also very rare, but this might vary by role and department. - Workers have access to modern tools to get their job done.

Cons

- "Core Values" are preached about constantly, but are inconsistently enforced. Revenue impact and position buy you a lot of "grace" - The "no gossip" policy might have been good in theory years ago. It prevented communication that tends to tear down relationships, however, it discourages people low in the org chart from seeing if their concerns are merited. The only person they can talk to, without fear of termination, is someone up the org chart. It turns out this policy extends to family as well - if your spouse publicly questions something the company is doing, expect to be talked to about it. People have been terminated because of something their spouse said. - Benefits are horrible, especially the health insurance. I didn't realize this until I left and got significantly better coverage with my new employer for less than a quarter of the cost. Combined with the pay cut that I took to work here, my total compensation took a huge hit. Thankfully, I found better pay and better benefits elsewhere. You will be on your own for dental or vision benefits, and a lot of inexpensive add-ons that you might find at other places (ex: supplemental life, AD&D) are also not offered. All of those go against what the CEO preaches on-air. But hey, at least they pay for your $60 Costco membership. "Free lunch" is a thing of the past, and the "subsidized" lunch at the café isn't any cheaper than eating out. - There is a notable lack of diversity. The CEO will say "Look at all of these women executives", or point to the racial diversity among the handful of speakers. The actual staff (excluding food service and building services) has very little ethnic diversity - overall the company is close to 95% white. Some departments are very heavily male dominated, but that, at least ,has started to improve in the past few years. Overall the company is about 60/40 M/F. - Employees are expected to follow "traditional Judeo-Christian values", especially when it comes to marriage. People who sleep with someone who are not their opposite-sex spouse have been terminated, with some high level exceptions ("grace"). - The company teaches other companies through its leadership products to have retained earnings so they can handle downturns in the economy. But during the pandemic, it felt like Ramsey Solutions didn't practice what it preached. They even talked about this publicly in videos put out on social: pause profit sharing, ask employees to skip a paycheck, push accounts payable as far back as the contract allows, to name a few. - The CEO has said in the past "If you disagree with how we are handling [whatever], you need to leave.". It has been said many, many times in 2020, especially around COVID. If you have a difference of opinion, you need to take it to your leader, and risk being asked "Do you distrust the leadership?" which could be lead to your being asked to leave. You can't talk to your teammates about your concerns ("no gossip"), and if your spouse disagrees publicly with how the company is handling things, you will get a talking to (or worse) about that as well. - Don't expect to work remotely. It was allowed for a few weeks at the start of the pandemic, and a handful of people have been allowed to continue to work from home on occasion since then. In general, the CEO despises remote work. The type of cult ure he wants to maintain is not possible if the team is not under the same roof. - Every year there is a "best place to work" survey we fill out. Though I never felt pressured to lie, it was strongly communicated every year that it was not a place to air one's grievances. I've worked at other "best places to work", and none ever pressured us as much as Ramsey Solutions did to not answer negatively. - Spouses are interviewed late in the interview process. If they later choose to join one of the private social groups for spouses, realize that they are administered by part of the company's social media team and someone from HR. If your spouse attempts to say something negative (gossip, which will be blocked my the mods), it might come back to bite you. - There is a strong us-versus-them mentality, where "them" is anyone that disagrees with the CEO and operating board. That includes (but is not limited to) other employers out there, who are described as being horrible, or even the "crazy spouses" who disagree with anything about the company. - The company exhibits many signs of a "High-Control Group"

93 people found this review helpful

Ramsey Solutions Response

Chief People Officer

Hey man, reach out to me and let's go grab coffee. I'd like to listen. ~ Jack Galloway, Chief People Officer, Ramsey Solutions

3. 4.0
      Current Employee

Continually improving

Jan 17, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture with highly motivated team members. The company is fast moving so there is always an opportunity to stand out with show your talents to advance your career. The teams I have worked with are truly passionate about what we do, and the mission to help people always seems at the forefront. My direct leaders have always had my best interest in mind sometimes even to their own detriment. There are some really exciting things on the horizon.

Cons

The company talks a lot about caring for their team members, which they do when extreme circumstances arise, but their health insurance is way too expensive for a family. They made great strides this last year to cover more, but the premiums are still outrageous.

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

GREAT mission and culture. TERRIBLE pay and benefits. MEDIOCRE leadership.

Aug 8, 2014 - Sales in Brentwood, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance is awesome! You don't have to work late hours to get ahead, in fact, leadership actually wants you to arrive on time or early, work really hard while you're there, and then go home on time. Family-oriented company that practices what they preach, they do not want workaholics. It really is rewarding to know that you are helping people.

Cons

Definitely a CULT and the price to pay for a great mission and culture is terrible pay and horrible health insurance benefits. The company openly reports profit sharing numbers on a monthly basis, so anyone that can do elementary level math can deduce that about 2/3 of the company makes less than $40k / year. The money all goes to the top. Many of the leaders are bringing in 7 digits each year, but a vast majority of the company is financially struggling to feed their families, but they are so brainwashed about doing "work that matters" that they don't even care that they're broke. Leadership constantly tells employees how bad it is in corporate American which creating a bubble in which people are afraid to leave and find something better. Dave is a wonderful and generous man and I have absolutely nothing negative to say about him. Unfortunately he is the product and has to rely on his leadership team to run the company (several of which are incompetent, power-hungry, and have low business acumen).

36 people found this review helpful

Ramsey Solutions Response

Chief People Officer

Reach out to me and let's grab coffee somewhere. I'd love to listen. ~ Jack Galloway, Chief People Officer @ Ramsey Solutions

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I will never go back to Corporate America!!!

Oct 16, 2014 - Technical Recruiting in Brentwood, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pretty much everything. 1. Dave is an unbelievable man. He has the biggest heart, and truly cares about all of his employees. 2. The perks for working here are unreal, and everyday you get to see people's lives change. 3. There is always so much to do and so many people you can learn from. We have the biggest Ruby shop in Nashville, and are always integrating cool technologies. It's a developers dream! 4. Everyday, you are encouraged to be better than you were the day before. Not just in your career, but who you are as a person . 5. If you put in the work, the opportunities are endless. To some of the negative reviews on here... I have to wonder if these people have ever worked in Corporate America or had a boss that legitimately harassed them. I've had some of the worst leadership imaginable at previous jobs and I can not imagine a job that is better than this. I truly believe that some people who left are finding out the grass isn't greener on the other side.

Cons

The health insurance could be a little better. There are so many breakfast days, celebrations, and treats, you have to spend a little extra time on the treadmill if you don't want to pack on a few pounds. But that could also be considered a pro! Advice to those applying... If you're not a Jesus lover, this may not be the place for you. NOT because you wouldn't be hired, but because we have weekly devotionals (amazing by the way) and it is very common for leaders to pray over us at meetings. If you don't have Christian beliefs, you may feel uncomfortable at times.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Opportunity of a lifetime

Oct 7, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

My favorite part of working at Lampo is the culture. The no gossip rule is really true here. It creates a very safe and warm environment knowing that people aren't discussing you behind your back. Every week we get to spend time doing a company wide devotional! I love taking time out in the middle of the week to get refocused and inspired. Leadership really cares about their team members. My direct leader asks about my family on a normal basis. I know that leadership values us for the people that we are and doesn't view us as "commodities". I have seen leadership go out of their way many times to make sure people are cared for. Every situation isn't handled perfectly because it's a place full of humans! But I personally feel like situations are handled right 95% of the time. One thing that is always true is that leadership has the right heart and intentions. Another thing I love is that we work really hard, but we also play hard. During the week you'll find us busy on the phone, in meetings, etc... but we do get to take time out to celebrate our wins and just enjoy some team time. When it comes to opportunity to grow in my career and advance I couldn't ask for more! I've had the opportunity to advance quite a bit since I started and really am thankful that leadership gave me an opportunity. I also love how intentional Lampo is at growing leaders. There is plenty of opportunities to be mentored and grow as a person and in your career. Work-life balance is great. Leadership asks you to start on time, but go home on time. We know that a healthy team member is someone that also spends time with their family and friends. Overtime is a very rare occurrence. Compensation in my role is very fair. I personally feel like working here is the opportunity of a lifetime.

Cons

Parking is tough right now. The company has grown so quickly that parking can't keep up with us! Health insurance is also very expensive simply because there are not enough people in the plan. Getting insurance off-site seems to be a much more affordable option.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic work environment (where you're treated like an actual human being)

Oct 20, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Lampo Group is truly an amazing place. I've done stints in corporate america, and honesty it's hard to imagine going back to that garbage. Now, let's get something straight, this place isn't utopia. There are still humans involved after all, so it's not perfect. BUT, it's the closet thing to it that I've ever seen in a workplace. 1. Good People: Yeah, the hiring process is laborious and takes longer than it should sometimes. But the results are worth it. They hire people that care about their job, their co-workers, and the outcome. That's hard to find in many workplaces, but this place is filled with people that actually care. It's refreshing and fun to be around. 2. It's Always Changing: This place is constantly evolving with new products, departments, and much more. There's never a dull moment. Each season brings a different focus for different products, and it's cool to be involved in something so big that keeps growing and growing. 3. Personal Development: Since I have joined the company I have had three job titles (two promotions). I have worked hard, Leaders have recognized, and rewarded that with creating new opportunities for me to tackle. It's incredible to work at a place that really values me as a human being and not just a worker-bee. I see that from my direct leaders, even up to the way Dave interacts with us. They are investing in me 100% and that's rare to find. You're not just a number here. 4. Generosity: I could rattle off many examples, but I think this one sums it up the best. The company has a profit-sharing pool for certain positions that pays out throughout the year. At the end of the year, this particular profit pool had a surplus of funds. Rather than simply roll those funds over to the next year (the "logical" business decision), the leadership team cut very generous (and unexpected) bonus checks to a few of us team members that had really significant years. Who does that?! Not to mention, as seen all over this page, the Christmas part is awesome. And tons of free food, gym reimbursement, free Costco membership, etc. 5. No Drama: The No-gossip policy is for real, and what a difference it makes. In prior jobs I've been around people that are big gossips, withhold information to "get ahead," backstab, and all that mess. That just doesn't happen here. People are transparent, and if there's issues they work it out like adults. There is never fear of "backstabbing" or "whispers" around. If there's a big personnel change, or structure change, the leadership team tells the whole company in full detail and addresses it head on. It's really refreshing, and easy to take for granted that most places don't operate like this.

Cons

1. Growing Pains: The Company is growing, and quickly. The difference between a 300 person company (Lampo just a couple of years ago) and a 500 person company (Lampo in a year or two probably) is very different. It's harder to keep the same culture and vibe. From time to time we see a little glimpse of those growing pains, but the good news is that leadership team knows this, is transparent about it, and truly striving to make this transition intentionally. 2. Spotlight: If you've never worked for a company with such a public facing representative (Dave), it can be a little bit of an adjustment. Dave has a bunch of people who love him and who have been changed forever by the principles he teaches. He also has haters, and from time to time those haters flare up in the media. So, it's not a big "con", but definitely takes a little bit of adjustment if you've never worked for a company connected to the media so closely. 3. The health insurance coverage/pricing is not competitive with most employers. It's decent for a single person, but if you're hoping to cover your spouse and/or children, you're better off buying it in the open market most of the time which is a shame.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to learn, thrive and have fun!

Oct 7, 2014 - Senior Marketer in Brentwood, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been at Lampo for just over 3 months. When I was interviewing I recall hearing about negative reviews on glass door and social media. While I am not sure whether those reviews were genuine or made up... I am sure glad that I let the impression I had of the company be influenced by the people that I met who worked there as opposed to an anonymous review. During my short-time here this is what I can share. (1) It is a positive, challenging, collaborative and upbeat working environment. With over 400 employees centrally located, I probably meet with 10-30 people on any given day. Ideas are shared across the organization and there are meetings where entry level and top tier management are exchanging ideas. (2) There is no preferential treatment or stereotypes based on gender. It is refreshing to work at a company that allows both men and women to thrive in their skill sets. (3) The company is transparent about decision-making. There is a weekly company wide staff meeting where everyone is informed on key business decisions, upcoming big events and company performance. (4) They share the wealth! Everyone who works at Lampo is incentivized for the company to continue to thrive. When the company does well, your paycheck goes up! (5) Give credit where credit is due. Lampo leadership is great at highlighting those who more or less carried the torch to victory during weekly staff meetings. Most importantly, Dave and his team recognize that the company would not be where it is today without God's sovereignty.

Cons

Health insurance is too expensive. I think they could get better plan options given the size of the company. It goes without saying that Dave is a very influential person. I feel that his passion and excitement around company values, the mission of the organization etc. serves as a motivating factor for some employees and a deterrent to others. I think some people fear him because of his strong opinions but I have witnessed him defer to others when he sees that they have more information/knowledge than he does about the topic. They give you so much free food, I think I have gained 5 pounds! ;)

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews