Rand Construction Reviews | Glassdoor

Linda Rabbitt

1. "just title"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Rand Construction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great company that constantly strives to be the best for customers and employees. Free snacks and plenty of fun at work. great people !!!

Cons

constantly busy, with no time to breathe

2. "Former Rand Employee from former APM"

Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Rand Construction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office culture is very friendly.
    The Senior PM's and Superintendents had tons of experience and were, overall, good-natured and helpful.
    The Directors are awesome as well!

Cons

I kept my head down and worked during my time with rand*, but office politics seemed to be looming overhead. Constant IT problems (the IT staff was awesome, but for some reason our shared network was always falling apart). Constant turnover creating hard to manage jobs and documentation.

3. "Rand"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Rand Construction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of work to do.

Cons

Sometimes there is little support from upper management.

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Rand Construction full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Upper management is very enthusiastic and genuinely cares about their teams. There is a lot of opportunity for upward mobility. Female/male equality.

Cons

Pretty expensive benefits and takes a while to get reimbursed for expense reports. (Or offer gas cards for employees instead of tracking with an expense report).

Advice to Management

Work on making health benefits less expensive. They're nearly double what I paid previously.

5. "Project Superintendent"

Current Employee - Project Superintendent in West Memphis, AR
    Current Employee - Project Superintendent in West Memphis, AR

Pros

Love the Company and the people. Very skilled at what they do. They back their field personal up very well.

Cons

There really was not a downside to working with Rand. They took great care of me and were good people to deal with also.

6. "This is a solid company with lots of flexibility."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Rand Construction full-time

Pros

There is lots of room for growth and movement.

Cons

Don't count on extensive training. You will be expected to figure it out.

7. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Laborer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Laborer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Rand Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great bosses, good pay, steady work for those that do the job. Have ins on major project in the KC area. Longevity outlook promising.

Cons

Sometimes have to make do making the project difficult. Should keep more work in house.

Advice to Management

Treat every employee the way they deserve. judge each individual by what they do for the company every day.

"Solid Place to Work, if......"

Current Employee - Superintendent in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Rand Construction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A job well done seems to be noticed very quickly by everyone. Upper management, mid-level managers and the like. Good word travels fast here. The people are excellent and up beat. Everyone seems to have a great personality, although many of them seem worked beyond recognition.

Cons

In this industry it is VERY typical that the field superintendents receive compensation for their vehicles. Something, gas and/or car allowances. Rand ignores this. This subtle item will be the reason people pack up and leave. I was told recently by yet another head-hunter that contacted me that they had been calling Rand employees because they knew Rand was only paying comparable wages and leaving out the allowances. Many of the people they had called left Rand with the same salary and just a car and/or gas allowance. Thats a lot of money people! Hell of a raise just with that little allowance at the end of the month.

People are catching wind of it now and this year I see a ton of people moving over to local competitors as a result of something so tiny.

Advice to Management

1. Pay your field the allowances, if not, the bad supers will stay because they can't keep a job anyway and the good ones will move on. I know people (me included) who have offers on the table sweeter.

2. Again, out of the superintendents I've met, some are horrible. As in, I'm not sure how they even have a job at all. They need to cut the fat of the supers who are a constant head ache. I know this will take time. One can't just axe everyone overnight, but hiring new and fresh terrible ones doesn't seem smart either.

3. ** Bright side. They do have several superintendents that are REALLY solid, so I "guess" that balances out...kind of. They will create repeat business. They have also recently hired (within) the last year some GREAT supers. ***** if they can hang on to these good ones and trim the others, they may be on a good path to better reviews here and with their client base.

4. Office staff is swamped continuously, good thing, but TOO tight and they start to fault on their obligations to the many clients they are operating with at any one moment.... To make up for this, they work some really silly hours. It's entirely too much.

5. Just to name drop since it's completely improper to do.
    A couple supers I have noticed, heard from others or just have seen in action that are good or really good in no particular order.

Marty S. (His attitude and great demeanor makes clients request him. Really knows his stuff, but its about your attitude 99 out of 100 and he has that covered.)

Jeff O. ( Been doing this so long it seems like second nature, good story teller too.)

John W. (Rock Solid Super)

Mike W. (a bit rough on people, touch of too much a*^hole) but technically he's real good

Vince M. (Repeat business here, great personality) He quit, salary & no allowance I would
    wager as the reasoning why)

Rich D. (Easy going, smart and finally a manager who knows when someones full of it or not. Blunt and thats what they need in a leader.)

George M.

Rodney R. (Huge threat to the "fat" I mentioned above,. Good looking young man, great personality/attitude and knows his stuff, and the PM's stuff too for that matter. Superstar)

George F.

"Good Micromanaged Company That Is More Into Politics Than Actually Building"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Rand Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Develops great relationships with client. Always makes the client first and works to develop relationships with entire project team such as architects, building engineers, and consultants.

Cons

Management has very little understanding of construction technical aspects on ground up construction. Rand is an interior construction company but wants to take buildings out of ground. Some of their top superintendents and project managers have very little to no experience with site and concrete work which could prove to be detrimental on getting projects out of ground.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing out promotions based off of politics. It will destroy this company

10. "Great Until You Get Laid Off"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Rand Construction full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work culture was great because the people were so easy to get along with. The company did provide a lot of perks for their employees such as snacks and the occasional happy hours.

Cons

It was really hard to get appreciated for the amount of work put in. This results in feeling undervalued as an employee. If you happen to get laid off it might come out of nowhere with no warning. If you do don't expect to get any of your accumulated paid time off hours paid out to you. Also, severance packages you may wonder? Nope!

Advice to Management

Take your employees seriously and really understand what they do for your company.