Randa Accessories Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeffrey Spiegel

Pros
Cons
  • No space for advancement , low pay , low benefits (in 5 reviews)

• They don't appreciate or value the hard work of their employers (in 5 reviews)

"Questionable leadership, questionable strategies, unfulfilling 'beast of burden' type work. Sell ties and belts. Yay?"

Former Employee - Middle Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Middle Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Randa Accessories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large company with corny benefits like uncomfortable parties led by carnival barkers who paradoxically control your destiny...hold that smile or risk being ostracized. This is a PRO btw, because for some people, you know, that's their thing. And good travel accommodations for senior staff, including business travel for international trips (only a small subset of employees get this benefit)

Cons

Just avoid licensing companies in general, if you ever want to work for a brand again. Nobody respects licensing companies in the industry. Working with brands in this capacity is something equivalent to corporate prostitution. Brands will view you as unable to adhere to a brand ethos, since your previous job was to milk them for profits until the contract ends, while always leading with a smile and an apparently fraudulent version of their DNA.

Glares from management when/if you are 5 min late, draconian policies (its a tie company, what do you expect?), backward culture that resembles modernity only in rhetoric (don't be fooled by the "techy" speeches by the resident geek CMO, what he says is all theoretical rubber that never, EVER meets the road).

All of these cons and pros are dependent on your place in the company. Some are treated well and others like livestock. Usually, given your current role wherever you are, you can tell which group you'll be in when you arrive. However, much is dependent on which ignoramus senior manager you work for, some are benevolent ignoramuses, others highly malignant. Your fate depends heavily on which you are assigned to. But rest assured, the strategy will always be head scratching. The leadership will always be questionable. These are embedded people with an incentive to squash dissent and protect the status quo so they can hold their place as leaders in the company. Follow, don't lead. Succumb, don't resist. Be quiet and average, don't excel. To be 'good' and 'talented' is to threaten management. Mediocrity is always preferable to excellence. If they don't know your name, you are probably safe.

Advice to Management

Leave and make way for a younger generation of leaders to help make the owner even richer. If that's your goal at least (it isn't). Another would be to unlink your destiny from the failing department stores to which your outcome is currently tethered. Doing business with old guard retailers becomes less an asset, and more a liability as the ships sink all around us. Oh, and forget ties. Nobody wears them anymore except doormen and politicians. Probably a small market considering the potential elsewhere. Lastly, embrace change and seek quality in your employees. The more they crush talents and inspiration, the lower Randa will sink towards the abyss of history.

"Poor Morale Overall"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL

I worked at Randa Accessories full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many. Decent benefits was about it. They tried to get you involved with a mentor program which in theory was a good idea. The woman I was assigned to only talked about herself though and on our "get to know you lunch" she invited her friends and mainly talked to them. It was lame.

Cons

Low pay for what I was doing, long work hours, usually worked 60+ hour weeks on salary and when asking to leave a couple of hours early one day with no work to do to recoup some personal time I was chastised for it.

Working fast and efficiently gets criticism. My boss just assumed I was not doing quality work (without checking it) when I was just trying to keep up with a deadline workload that should have been assigned to two people.

Poor morale in my department, no one talked to one another it was like working with robots. Little communication between management and employees. Honestly it was the worst company I have ever worked for. No potential for growth either.

"Stay away from the devil and all his fury."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Randa Accessories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The devil's presence lingers throughout the office, sprouting distress and fear, but throughout your journey, you'll develop friendships with your hardworking colleagues and peers.

Cons

My mother always told me to stay away from the devil and all his fury./

/I took this job in desperation. People appeared nice, full of hard work and determination./

/Little did I know, all was not what it seemed, for underneath the surface, the company bled with evil, jealousy, and greed./

/Us workers lived in fear and always kept our silence, as the bosses ran the enterprise like evil tyrants./

/We felt like puppets working tirelessly every day, with not enough reward, appreciation, and monthly pay./

/The devils mocked, demeaned, and belittled us day by day, we dreamed about one day escaping, winning the lottery, and running far, far away./

/It’s hard to leave when your family is depending on the money, but as mother always said, stay away from the devil and all his fury./

/So, I hatched a plan to leave Randa, once and for all. I applied for multiple jobs, sounding more and more desperate with every email and phone call./

/I could sense the devil discovering my plan, his burning hard glare was felt throughout every gland./

/I knew it was time to run before it was too late, I packed up my things; it was time to escape./

/I pray for my former colleagues every night. They all must leave Randa. They must put up a fight./

/I have a new job now, I feel so happy and free./

/I’ll never go back to the place where I felt so helpless and leery, 'cause as my mother always said, stay away from the devil and all his fury.

Advice to Management

No advice to give, for the devil will pay no mind. However, to my former colleagues: you must escape and leave the evil far behind.

"badly managed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Rose, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Rose, LA

I worked at Randa Accessories (More than 5 years)

Pros

some nice people work there.

Cons

no communication between management and workers.

Advice to Management

Put people in managing positions who are competent to do their job. Most of them have neither a clue nor people skills abuse their power and treat workers unfairly.

"Run the other way"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Randa Accessories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Life's too short to work for a company that has no respect for their employees.
    Some great people work under horrible management

Cons

The weakest management style I've seen in years. Control, fear and abuse. The office is more like a tightly run prison. If you're young and have talent, don't waste your time with this company.

Advice to Management

Stop with the power games, and secrets. Our industry has enough drama given the nature of the business. It takes far less energy to be nice

"Controlling and ignorant Sr Management"

Former Employee - Merchandising in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Merchandising in Chicago, IL

Pros

The co-workers I hung out with were great.

Cons

It's hard to describe what it's like to have a horrible leader in this office who treats everyone like they're five. The merchandising area is depressing stemming from the attitude of the senior mgmt. No room for growth unless you like being treated like child and even then you are scolded constantly for the most minute details. Overworked under paid under appreciated... I could go on. Just happy that I don't work there anymore.

Advice to Management

Get new people to run the merchandising dept.

"will you ever learn?"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Randa Accessories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

it;s a job with a pay check

Cons

Supervisors are mean and petty. No matter how hard you work, how nice you are, how knowledgeable you are, the supervisors will never appreciate your hard work, take your knowledge and claim it for their own, and kindness will be perceived as a weakness.

Advice to Management

open your eyes

"Merchandising"

Former Employee - New York in New York, NY
    Former Employee - New York in New York, NY

I worked at Randa Accessories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable work/life balance. Lunch was provided often which was convenient.

Cons

Management monitors comings and goings like employees are children. Very little communication, therefore constant fire drills to put together last minute presentations. Extremely gossipy environment. Lots of back stabbing!

Advice to Management

Have more trust in employees.

"Randa Accessories Management Review"

I worked at Randa Accessories full-time

Pros

Good environment to learn about challenges that a midsize company faces. Great team mates and overall staff are very friendly and supportive.

Cons

Upper management are focused on trivial issues, while ignoring some material problems and operational fumbles in prior years, along with a general lack of drive to improve existing processes; slow to change and pessimistic attitude. Extremely poor work life balance and management is very secretive about what's going on, with a general lack of communication with employees. Very high turnover. Will pretend to support employee ideas in town halls but subsequently deny acknowledgement of those ideas. Decisions are made based on rumors and impressions, as opposed to real evidence. Clan mentality and lack of co-operation between departments.

Advice to Management

Advice to CEO: identify departments that are lacking in performance and replace department heads/vice presidents with ones from more successful enterprises, after ensuring that the staff to be replaced have documented their responsibilities and knowledge properly.

"Uninspiring, toxic, and miserable"

I worked at Randa Accessories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard working people, paycheck kept me alive. Umm... There was a shuttle with a really nice driver that takes you from the el stop to the office during the harsh winters

Cons

When I initially accepted the job offer I read reviews on here that said it feels like high school. That is simply not true. My classmates and and I didn't act like this in high school This is what you call junior high nonsense that is circulating around the corporate office space in the unhappy hallways of Randa.

Gossip, suspicion, and anger pollutes the air like a puffy cloud of green smoke. Most people usually come in around 8:30 and leave at 5:30 at the earliest. If someone comes in as late as 9am or leaves a half an hour earlier, the cloud of gossip spreads like a storm from ear to ear. The co workers that you just enjoyed Chinese takeout with for lunch are now talking to your fellow employees about how you don't pull your weight and don't work hard enough. One time an employee was just notified that her grandfather had just passed away and one of the first things that came out of another employee was that it has to be rough knowing that she now has to waste a PTO on traveling to go to his funeral, I kid you not. These people are overall good people. There's something in this smoke of poison and toxicity that is clouding up the air and turning people for the worst. People are so quick to gossip about their teammates and throw each other under the bus. Call the fire station to clear the smoke, it's not a healthy environment to be around.

People work hard and tirelessly throughout the night and then walk in from the silver elevator doors before the sun even rises like soulless zombies that didn't get a chance to nibble on human flesh the night before. If you can't tell by the ghost-like look on their faces that the people are just tired, sad, and miserable, you can certainly sniff it in the air. The smell of cheap, stale coffee mixed with the aroma of pure exhaustion and misery wafts through the wall-less cubicles as you come in and prepare yourself for another long day of work. For a place with so many creatives working, it's one of the most dullest, unexciting, colorless places I have ever worked in. Not only is it a rather far commute from the city, it's located in one of the most boring suburbs of Chicago, where the closest thing to salvation is the awful outlet mall.

Employees aren't appreciated for their hard work. It's sad to say, but one of the best benefits about working there was the "summer hours" where you got to leave after lunch on Fridays. Sure you had to work an extra hour the days before, but leaving the cold, desolate office of misery and despair early to enjoy the epic Chicago summer days is like Oliver Twist getting more gruel. Everyone's so used to being treated like orphan children that a small reward like this feels like winning the lottery. P.S. Before I left, I believe they shortened this "benefit" to only a month in summer. Bravo!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect. They work ten times as hard as management and–– ehh, forget it, you aren't going to listen.