Random House Reviews in Westminster, MD | Glassdoor

2.7
Random House Chairman and CEO Markus Dohle
Markus Dohle
1 Rating

Pros
  • Some fun perks were all the free books (in 26 reviews)

• Great benefits, lots of corporate perks (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay rates or bonus structure (in 12 reviews)

• Long hours, very low salary, work / life balance bad, Didn't do much for my career in the long run either (in 8 reviews)

"Great Job and Great People!"

Former Employee - Credit Correspondent in Westminster, MD
    Former Employee - Credit Correspondent in Westminster, MD

I worked at Random House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My favorite thing about working here (I worked in credit dept in Westminster, MD) was getting the free books each month! The benefits were also some of the best and lowest cost benefits of any employer I've ever worked for.

Cons

They are (or were) ridiculous about flexibility. This is the only employer I've ever been at where you had to give a 24 hour notice to use a sick day or be written up. I guess you have to "plan" when you are going to be out sick? Wow. For a company with such great benefits, this was a huge shocker. You also were only able to have a 30 minute lunch, and this was not flexible in any way, shape or form. You could not be 1 minute late getting back from lunch, or you would be talked to about it. This was the MOST EXTREME lack of flexibility of any job I have ever had as far as time flexibility. I think you should be able to take an hour lunch because 30 minutes is not enough time to meet anyone at a restaurant (or meet co-workers at a restaurant for lunch). I call this absolutely ridiculous, and this was my only complaint about the company.

Advice to Management

Be flexible and allow an hour lunch if the employee wants to take an hour. Life doesn't have to be as cut & dry as you make it.

2. "Great place for hourly paid employees, but Mgmt. is cut-throat."

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Westminster, MD
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Westminster, MD

I have been working at Random House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a Generous Benefit package.

Cons

Mostly female mgmt. team is so competitive with one another that they will throw anyone under the bus to get ahead.