Randox Laboratories "nice people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Randox Laboratories Employee Reviews about "nice people"

Updated Nov 18, 2019

2.2
Randox Laboratories Founder and Managing Director Dr. Peter FitzGerald
Dr. Peter FitzGerald
Pros
Cons
  • "No sick pay and maternity pay was a bit of a joke,(in 26 reviews)

• "They do not tell you that there is no sick pay paid until your in the job(in 23 reviews)

Reviews about "nice people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Nice place to work, pay not great"

Current Employee - QC Technician

I have been working at Randox Laboratories full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, interesting work

Cons

Poor salary and distance to travel

Randox Laboratories2019-11-08

"Not a good career move"

Former Employee - Scientist in Crumlin, Northern Ireland

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

Always hiring, so it is possibly good for getting a years experience in the industry, to then move to another job. I met a lot of nice people

Cons

CLOCKING IN AND OUT one of the single biggest demotivating factors especially when overtime is a regular occurrence , no compensation for fuel used to get between company sites WHICH WAS NEEDED TO COMPLETE WORK!!, No sick pay and maternity pay was a bit of a joke, THE JOBS ARE ADVERTISED AS BEING IN BELFAST!!CRUMLIN IS NOT BELFAST!! there is no public transport to the diamond road from Belfast, You only get to... choose 7 of you holidays every year!!! the rest are set!, The company software is Dead slow especially the software used for "training", used Unrealistic goals are set, though they were pleasant to me HR were apparently very rude and invasive when "interrogating" employees after they were sick i saw more than one person leave those meetings crying, poor management of time and resources( they had people with PhDs and Masters doing the work of technicians which is a waste of money), they operate using "sigma-lean" which really seemed like an excuse to cut corners at multiple points throughout the year there would be weeks at a time where essential resources were out of stock so no work occurred, if a machine or assay is not working as expected then it is seen as your fault, training stops before it really starts it consists of the bare minimum to cover insurance, no opportunities to pick up any extra skills and very little extra training offered in case you leave, the "training "they did offer was a joke it consumed days at a time encouraged you to not actually read documentation and was often done after you had been required to do the tasks, not allowed to talk about pay meaning, the pay isnt great for anyone even the managers were only getting like 60k i believe, day in day out the work is the exact same the only thing that changes are the bodies doing it, advertised travel opportunities but didnt see anyone travelling, lunch facilities consisted of small rooms with a microwave and boiling water taps, they have a strict policy on talking about the work performed in their labs but what was and what was not confidential was NEVER MADE CLEAR i wont talk about what was done, in many of the labs scientists with biomedical degrees where expected to maintain analysers with little to no training, maintenance work was also largely performed by the scientists such as emptying bins maintaining DI water pumps and many many other required tasks that cut in to the work day all these tasks had to be done on top of whatever tests needed performed, Core hours are not good its a 40 hr week rather than 37.5 (8.40-5.20), flexi time isnt very flexible and requires forms everytime even if you are only leaving half an hour earlier.

Advice to Management

Do away with clock in cards you can assess if people aren't working by the work done and it obvious when people aren't there. the high employee turnover cannot be good for the company maybe try a 4 day work week model like microsoft japan and many companies in New Zealand are doing Hire more technicians and unskilled workers to do menial pipetting/ lab maintenance and such, then assign your more qualified staff... to data analysis and managerial roles. A friend of mine had several weeks of doing no work due to the lean policy, it needs to be less strict to avoid this, those weeks cost far more than storing a slight excess of pipette tips. Make flexi-time more flexible. make the pay grades more clear and make it clear how you could progress, Provide training courses, even outsource them or encourage people to go to outside courses, maybe try and get involved with meetups or something also most of the reps sent to local events are in the HR/ business side of the company I think I saw an engineer at one once so probably get them more involved there were a lot of processes with documentation that could have been automated so maybe get a tech consultant to go around all the labs and offices to streamline everything check through the negatives i wrote most are fixable

Randox Laboratories2019-11-18
  3. "Over all not a bad olace"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer

I worked at Randox Laboratories

Pros

Nice people and friendly co-workers

Cons

Old standard practices of work

Randox Laboratories2019-07-24

"A waste of time...not worthy"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with SOME nice people and you get to travel

Cons

Summarizing: - Company policy - Terrible benefits - If you get sick, get ready to lose a lot from your income - Senior Management culture inspired by dictators - HR should change their name for AHR "Against Human Resources" - Terrible customer service & blaming culture - inefficiency in almost any internal process

Advice to Management

Simply STOP doing what you're doing and you'll stop losing people. Listen to your staff before is too late.

Randox Laboratories2019-01-08

"Do not recommend"

Former Employee - Business Development in London, England

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of nice people working there. Many responsibilities. Good for new graduate to accumulate experience.

Cons

Bad management, horrible atmosphere, short-sighted, a lot of travel. They do not trust their employees at all, hilarious experience. The worst is customer service, they do not respect client, and really not respectful, difficult to cope with the whole internal system.

Randox Laboratories2017-05-23

"Never known anything like it!"

I have been working at Randox Laboratories full-time

Pros

Nice people to work with in my office.

Cons

No sick pay! God help you if you get ill! Very unprofessional approach to business, illogical and weekly changes to processes. This company has some fantastic people working for them but I can definitely see why people leave very quickly. Some of the decisions made by management with approach to business development just do not make sense. Get people in roles where they know what they are doing, and LISTEN... to them.

Advice to Management

It would be wise to respect your staff, people do not feel valued and trusted as part of a team. That is why they move on, staff turnover is so high for a reason. The fact that you do not pay people when they are sick even when they are sent home by management is appalling.

Randox Laboratories2017-04-25

"Well below average"

I worked at Randox Laboratories full-time

Pros

Great work to be done, some genuinely nice people, good experience if you were a graduate (didn't apply to me, nothing was new to me here)

Cons

Far too many cons that out weight the pros, management is a shambles and the different departments constantly play the blame game to get themselves out of trouble (probably cause they are scared of being let go - in the time I was there I saw well above 50 people come and go). Constantly being expected to work extra hours with no extra pay. Career progression is limited unless you are one of the lucky ones that the... higher management likes you. When I first arrived at Randox I genuinely thought I had come to the wrong place, its basically an old farm, the roads are beyond terrible and you are expected to drive between all the different sites without any reimbursement. Would not recommend to anybody that wants to get treated properly and have a career.

Advice to Management

Sort out employees with good benefits and appropriate pay. R&D needs to realise that difficulties arise all the time so stop giving everyone a hard time. At least sort out the working facilities, nobody wants to work on an old farm with flies eating at them.

Randox Laboratories2016-11-21

"Don't listen to everything you hear.."

Placement Student in Crumlin, Northern Ireland

I worked at Randox Laboratories for more than a year

Pros

- Large company working towards improving healthcare - No traffic in mornings - Some very nice people to work with, meeting loads of contacts for the future because most people move on - Fast paced work place - A lot of room for development and progression - Pay is quite good for placement students compared to some of the alternatives - A great chance to build your foundation for after university, working in... such a corporate environment - No bull sh*t (not sure whether this is a pro or con) - they don't take any, come in, work to your highest standard and you'll be fine. - Company is moving premises so it will be good to work in purpose built buildings and not a shed. - Staff BBQ before summer shut down

Cons

- Quite far out of the way - Working in a converted shed makes the company feel like it was thrown together - Clock in system - Demoralising, I understand it is necessary for people working shifts etc however for the rest of the staff working the normal hours it is a bit much - Working hours are strange (08:40 - 17:20) so you are doing a full 40 hours of clocked in work a week - Flexible working hours aren't... flexible (If I've worked 3 hours more then I should be able to do what I see fit with those 3 hours, not have it dictated to me) - Pay isn't great from what I've heard from other staff in permanent positions - Flies in the spring/summer, it is very very bad. huge black clouds lingering in the car park. Though this is down to the location and not much can be done. - The road is pretty dangerous in the winter - Advice to the company - Shut down on snow days or hire a company to grit the road given that 80% of the traffic on that road is Randox related. - Turn over of staff is insane, I worked for just over a year and saw over 100 people come and go, they're loosing extremely valuable staff all the time. - A lot of people on power trips, Environmental dept and IT to name a few. - Some very rude individuals. - Split up into 5 sites, they aren't far from each other, about a 4 mile radius, however don't expect to be reimbursed for fuel driving between the sites - Very reluctant to buy things like basic office supplies, pens, postits etc. Nothing is kept in stock, must be ordered and you might see it in 3 months time. - The bare legal minimum of everything regarding benefits Bottom line- Too many chiefs, not enough Indians..

Advice to Management

Pay people well and treat them well and they'll stay. Do some things for your employees, like buy pizza for everyone on a Friday, give people more holidays, anything to improve morale. There's a reason people are fighting each other to work at companies like Facebook and Google..pretty soon no one will even want to work at Randox. Most people I met have worked there for under 5 years..take heed of this.

Randox Laboratories2016-08-30

"International Business Development"

in Crumlin, Northern Ireland

I worked at Randox Laboratories

Pros

can't think of any other than met some quite nice people there

Cons

-low morale -low pay -no respect to employees -travel in your own time -no career progression -humiliating clock-in system -always under suspicion of "treason" if you don't treat distributors bad enough

Randox Laboratories2015-04-19