Randstad US Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Randstad US CEO, Randstad North America Linda Galipeau
Linda Galipeau

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is pretty much non-existant (in 65 reviews)

• Political, no work life balance, favoritism (in 21 reviews)

"last work"

Former Employee - File Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - File Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Randstad US full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

multiple start times or work hours

Cons

no chance to prove yourself in position

Advice to Management

be more up front with employees

2. "Data Analyst"

Current Contractor - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Randstad US as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

People are nice in general.

Cons

They rip you off on your salary.

3. "Poor Experience"

Current Employee - IT Contractor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Contractor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Randstad US full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Did not always get paid on time, poor choice of assignments

Randstad US Response

Mar 5, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Glassdoor. We hate to see that you aren't happy with your assignment or that you aren't getting paid properly. These issues are not taken ... More

5. "Trying to get my W2..."

Former Employee - Lead Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Lead Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Randstad US full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My former colleagues, who have not yet left, did respond and try to help point me in the right direction as to who to contact regarding my missing/late W2.

Cons

I called and emailed multiple suggested contacts for nearly a week trying to get my W2 before the Federal deadline of January 31st, 2017 (for 2016). Emails, voice messages, and help desk hangups were all made on my end without a single response nor helping hand from Randstad.

I had heard of similar horror stories in the past but did not believe them entirely. The company has been performing below industry/market growth since I started in 2012, despite multiple acquisitions of successful firms, and this all comes down to the quality of people they hire and the lack of interest there is in performing.

Advice to Management

The Federal Law requires employers to provide W2's to all employees, current and former who have worked for your organization the previous year, before January 31st of the following year. My advice is: start following the law.

Randstad US Response

Feb 9, 2017

Thank you for your Glassdoor review. We apologize you had a tough time getting a hold of someone regarding your W2. If you email digital@randstadusa.com they can forward your email to the correct ... More

6. "I would choose differently!"

Current Contractor - IT Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - IT Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Randstad US as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They pay weekly and offer health care, 401k etc.

Cons

Onboarding was nonexistent. I sent emails to my 'recruiter' and she NEVER got back to me until I emailed her boss. Look... they are a 'pass through' at the end of the day taking money off the top of my hourly rate. My expectations are small BUT I do need basic information like how to enter time and access paystubs etc. It was literally like pulling teeth to get ANYTHING helpful out of them. I will NOT continue with them as soon as my contract ends. I can get someone else who cares a LITTLE.

Advice to Management

You're a pass through... who cares.

"Technical Recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The location is perfect and they have unlimited commission. You are NEVER bored and you get to meet people on a daily basis.

Cons

minimum work day of 9.5 hours and supervisors highly "suggest" that you stay past the required hours in order to show that you are interested in keeping your job.

8. "Good staffing company"

Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Randstad US (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very professional people to deal with. Good working environment. Nice work place.

Cons

Limited accounts in terms of consulting opportunities.

"Recruiter - Randstad Technologies"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Randstad US full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Happy hours, contests for additional time off, 401k, employee stock purchase plan, offices have tons of amenities (stocked coffees and teas, keurig machines, filtered water)

Cons

The Chicago market has very interesting leadership... With strong feelings of nepotism and the "boys club", you might find your growth stunted. Some promotions have occurred due to fake external employment offers and that has driven an extremely high turnover rate. Lots of micro-management and leaderships fails to appreciate all employees - everyone is seen as a dollar sign and it shows.

Advice to Management

Have some sort of metrics around leaders that you've promoted to ensure they are supporting all of their employees and not just their favorites in each office!

Encourage better training programs and truly invest in your employees, or there will continued high rates of turnover.

10. "Contractor"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Randstad US as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Polite, detail oriented, know the business of consulting. Have access to numerous clients.

Cons

Discrete about the status of the contract at the client site. Mislead or simply lie about the prospects of being extended at work.

"Worst Bonus Structure in America"

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Randstad US full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great sales tools, corporate network and associated resources, and training. Neat Randstad-y colors are everywhere - blue, orange, pink - on walls, carpets. promotional materials, reminding one of youthful exuberance.

Cons

Extremely top-heavy management structure. Worst bonus structure in America, where YOUR promised bonus is tied to and saddled by the rest of your (good or bad) workgroup. Turnover is very high across the board and at all organizational levels, due to growing pains, lack of communication from management, and exceedingly unrealistic and rigid performance metrics. Ongoing internal ethics challenges and virulent office politics transcending localility. Management arrogance.

Extremely poor work life balance across all positions and levels. Prepare to live 24/7 for Randstad US.

Corporate culture is universally so tightly micro-managed, you can only put approved Randstad logo items on "your" (Randstad's) desk. Micro-management is severe, counter-productive, and directly causing turnover.

High rates for services are a tough sell.

Advice to Management

Randstad US has lost sight of the unalterable truth that in the people business, people matter! Don't dangle carefully crafted unattainable bonuses in front of employees' noses.

Showing 32 of 1,698 reviews