Rapid City Regional Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Tim Sughrue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Positive and Negative"

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Rapid City Regional Hospital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment was great. Most of my coworkers were fantastic and made you feel welcome. The good coworkers and the patients are definitely what helped me tolerate the job. It is a great learning environment and you have some opportunities to grow within the organization.

Cons

The compensation per hour could have been better. I definitely feel like you are overworked and underpaid. They assign too many patients per caregiver, and want us to spend adequate time with each patient, but it's nearly impossible since you have 8-12 other patients to look after. There isn't enough space in the hospital to accommodate all of the patients. I feel like they jam as many patients as they can into one room to get in as many folks as possible, making the direct care staff suffer. The management's only concern is making as much money as they can off of people, and they don't value their employees enough. One should never get home one night after work and break down because of all the stress, and not ever want to go back to work again, a situation I was in probably 80% of the time.

"There's a reason they're not a highly rated employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time

Pros

- High pay for the area
    - Organization has some very talented people working for it
    - Lots of different business locations in area to move around in
    - In midst of a growth plan which involves image makeover and infrastructure improvements

Cons

- Ineffective management, especially at the higher levels. Lack of accountability, lot's of finger pointing, passing the buck and excuse making
    - Capital management is non-existent, project overruns and high labor costs due to poor financial controls, poor decision making, poor employee relations, and poor employee retention strategies
    - Huge turnover issues at mid and lower levels, lot's of favoritism, lack of leadership, too much complaining about how its all the fault of the millennials
    - Way too much emphasis on physician recruitment ($$$) not enough on support staff ($)
    - Over reliance on travelling nurses at the expense of hours for the permanent staff, no loyalty to the folks that stick around
    - Organization tolerates too many problem employees at the expense of the one's doing the right thing, which end up ruining it for everyone.
    - Lack of meaningful communication and too much fluff

It took a while, but I was finally able to get out and without burning any bridges.

Advice to Management

Sorry, but you're not going to follow it anyway.

"Inept Middle Managment"

Former Employee - Psychiatric Technician in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Psychiatric Technician in Rapid City, SD

Pros

Compensation was nice. Seen some upper and middle managers removed this past year under new CEO Brent Philips leadership.

Cons

Middle management will do anything to maintain their status to include bullying upper management and destroying anything positive subordinates want to add to the organization. Anyone who wants to set standards or accountability is bullied. I've seen people swear, push, taunt and hit patients and never get fired or reprimanded with no investigation. If a person mentions standards and accountability they are fired under false allegations with absolutely no investigation. Please google and read comments under the local newspaper Rapid City Journal "Mick Gibbs Resigns." It will give you a snapshot of the professionalism within the organization.

Advice to Management

Offer early retirement packages to some middle managers. Do real investigations and reprimands into misconduct.

"Employee over 20 years"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good employees work there. Nice place to raise a family.

Cons

CEO,. President of RCRH. Most of the VP's
    One of the worst Healthcare Systems in the World.
    Human Resources Management.

Advice to Management

When Dr.Hart And Mr.Sughrue ran the Corporation it was one of the best in the World. Then the New CEO and President came in and in one year it is one of the worst. I don't want my friends or Family to go to Regional health You should not either.

5. "RN - loved working at RCRH"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful co-workers, good teamwork, flexible schedule, nursing-oriented, there are always resources/help available

Cons

Low pay (but they are improving)

6. "Radiation Oncology"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangor, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangor, ME

I worked at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

During the time that I worked for the department, many exciting and innovative new treatment procedures and patient programs were developed to improve patient care. This was driven from within the department. The department offered state of the art treatment trials that are now standard of care. The doctors and staff are knowledgeable and very caring. Good place to work.

Cons

Upper management was typical for a hospital of that size and in that region. Lots of red tape and very slow decision making.

Advice to Management

Stay on top of things and follow through with your promises. Trust the professionals that you hire to do their job right and don't second guess every step they make.

"RCRH"

Former Employee - Housekeeping in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Housekeeping in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Rapid City Regional Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

Being that its a hospital they save lives....

Cons

They have no respect for patients or employees. Customers can ask for food or water and the nurse will just blow it off. When my grandpa was in there, they put the blood pressure cuff on so tight that it bruised him and when he told them, they said "it needs to be like that" and when he took off himself, they sedated him..
    As a former employee of three months, i will tell you that they dont pay you for all of your hours. I wasnt on their insurance and my pay checks were getting smaller and smaller every pay period and i know i was getting the same amount of hours everytime

Advice to Management

You need to get your stuff in order.

"Poor leadership"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rapid City, SD

Pros

There really are no positives with RCRH. They treat us with little to no respect. Long term employees are not valued or appreciated.

Cons

Poor work conditions, poor patient management. The lack of integrity and leadership is causing poor patient satisfaction and patient care.

Advice to Management

Quit being a business and be a care provider

9. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Claims Analyst in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Claims Analyst in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New management really cares about the patients as well as the employees. Work is hard and challenging, but a good place to work. Family comes first when it is needed.

Cons

Not enough employees. There has been change, thus growing pains

Advice to Management

This is tough. You have to work hard and prove yourself.

10. "Do NOT recommend working here!"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job. The staff that I work with are the only reason I stay.

Cons

Management is horrible! They constantly are passing the buck or even worse blaming the staff for the problems. When told about issues nothing gets done about it. Direct supervisors will choose to ignore a problem or completely deny that they are the problem. Staff retention is awful and getting worse. In over 6 years of employment over 16 months of that time has been spent in MANDATORY overtime while managers take 3 week long vacations. They are not leaders they are bosses. They do not lead their staff through the tough times they simply stand back and boss them around to do things all the while telling them they aren't doing it good enough. They do NOT support continuing education even though they say they do. They will schedule you a night shift the night before mandatory education like ACLS, BLS, etc. Overall, I would NEVER recommend working for this company. Staff satisfaction is poor.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Start treating the people that actually do the work better. Listen to them; especially when they come to you and tell you the problem. Take responsibility for your own actions. Get rid of direct supervisors that are the reason for so many problems!