Rapid City Regional Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Sughrue

1. "Disgrace in health care"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The wonderful patients. No others.

Cons

Management is disgraceful. It is supposed to be non profit however everything is done in regards to making money! The patients and their families have no rights. What the doctor's say goes no questions asked.

Advice to Management

You better change your ways! One day another health care system will come in when that happens no one will choose to use Regional Health.

2. "Do NOT recommend working here!"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job. The staff that I work with are the only reason I stay.

Cons

Management is horrible! They constantly are passing the buck or even worse blaming the staff for the problems. When told about issues nothing gets done about it. Direct supervisors will choose to ignore a problem or completely deny that they are the problem. Staff retention is awful and getting worse. In over 6 years of employment over 16 months of that time has been spent in MANDATORY overtime while managers take 3 week long vacations. They are not leaders they are bosses. They do not lead their staff through the tough times they simply stand back and boss them around to do things all the while telling them they aren't doing it good enough. They do NOT support continuing education even though they say they do. They will schedule you a night shift the night before mandatory education like ACLS, BLS, etc. Overall, I would NEVER recommend working for this company. Staff satisfaction is poor.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Start treating the people that actually do the work better. Listen to them; especially when they come to you and tell you the problem. Take responsibility for your own actions. Get rid of direct supervisors that are the reason for so many problems!

"RCRH"

Former Employee - Housekeeping in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Housekeeping in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Rapid City Regional Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

Being that its a hospital they save lives....

Cons

They have no respect for patients or employees. Customers can ask for food or water and the nurse will just blow it off. When my grandpa was in there, they put the blood pressure cuff on so tight that it bruised him and when he told them, they said "it needs to be like that" and when he took off himself, they sedated him..
    As a former employee of three months, i will tell you that they dont pay you for all of your hours. I wasnt on their insurance and my pay checks were getting smaller and smaller every pay period and i know i was getting the same amount of hours everytime

Advice to Management

You need to get your stuff in order.

"Employee over 20 years"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good employees work there. Nice place to raise a family.

Cons

CEO,. President of RCRH. Most of the VP's
    One of the worst Healthcare Systems in the World.
    Human Resources Management.

Advice to Management

When Dr.Hart And Mr.Sughrue ran the Corporation it was one of the best in the World. Then the New CEO and President came in and in one year it is one of the worst. I don't want my friends or Family to go to Regional health You should not either.

"Do NOT work in housekeeping!"

I have been working at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Housekeeping management has been taken over by a company called Crothall Healthcare. They are terrible and do not know how to manage employees. They drive their employees like slaves and only keeping adding more work to you. They do not care if you get help with your rooms and you are worked to your breaking point. Supervisor is very rude, sarcastic and demanding and plays favorites. Don't expect to get your requested vacation time.

Advice to Management

Quit treating employees like slaves and jump in and help when we are so short instead of sitting in the office gossiping about the employees and talking bad about them. Pay employees a better wage and people might stick around better. Stop piling up more work on an already stressed out and broken team with very low morale.

"Inept Middle Managment"

Former Employee - Psychiatric Technician in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Psychiatric Technician in Rapid City, SD

Pros

Compensation was nice. Seen some upper and middle managers removed this past year under new CEO Brent Philips leadership.

Cons

Middle management will do anything to maintain their status to include bullying upper management and destroying anything positive subordinates want to add to the organization. Anyone who wants to set standards or accountability is bullied. I've seen people swear, push, taunt and hit patients and never get fired or reprimanded with no investigation. If a person mentions standards and accountability they are fired under false allegations with absolutely no investigation. Please google and read comments under the local newspaper Rapid City Journal "Mick Gibbs Resigns." It will give you a snapshot of the professionalism within the organization.

Advice to Management

Offer early retirement packages to some middle managers. Do real investigations and reprimands into misconduct.

8. "Every floor is probably different"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD

Pros

One of the highest paying employers for RN's the Black Hills area, but still far below the national average.

Cons

Poor benefits
    Rotating shift work
    No student loan repayment

Advice to Management

encourage more balanced and healthy lifestyles for employees- The happier and more rested your employees are the safer and more satisfied your patients will be.

"Poor leadership"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rapid City, SD

Pros

There really are no positives with RCRH. They treat us with little to no respect. Long term employees are not valued or appreciated.

Cons

Poor work conditions, poor patient management. The lack of integrity and leadership is causing poor patient satisfaction and patient care.

Advice to Management

Quit being a business and be a care provider

"Little hospital"

Former Employee - PCU Staff RN
    Former Employee - PCU Staff RN

I worked at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No phones. No parking issues, no fees for parking.

Cons

Leadership was lacking. Management was fishy in dealings. Tried to get me sign away my PTO when I moved from FT to PT. Against policy. But tried to bully me until I called compliance.

Advice to Management

Since leaving management was changed. A few from my department, managers and assist managers were merely reassigned to other positions. My friend did a traveler position, said it's all travelers now. What fulltime staff there is are not getting hours.

"There's a reason they're not a highly rated employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time

Pros

- High pay for the area
    - Organization has some very talented people working for it
    - Lots of different business locations in area to move around in
    - In midst of a growth plan which involves image makeover and infrastructure improvements

Cons

- Ineffective management, especially at the higher levels. Lack of accountability, lot's of finger pointing, passing the buck and excuse making
    - Capital management is non-existent, project overruns and high labor costs due to poor financial controls, poor decision making, poor employee relations, and poor employee retention strategies
    - Huge turnover issues at mid and lower levels, lot's of favoritism, lack of leadership, too much complaining about how its all the fault of the millennials
    - Way too much emphasis on physician recruitment ($$$) not enough on support staff ($)
    - Over reliance on travelling nurses at the expense of hours for the permanent staff, no loyalty to the folks that stick around
    - Organization tolerates too many problem employees at the expense of the one's doing the right thing, which end up ruining it for everyone.
    - Lack of meaningful communication and too much fluff

It took a while, but I was finally able to get out and without burning any bridges.

Advice to Management

Sorry, but you're not going to follow it anyway.