Rapid City Regional Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Sughrue

1. "Positive and Negative"

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Rapid City Regional Hospital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment was great. Most of my coworkers were fantastic and made you feel welcome. The good coworkers and the patients are definitely what helped me tolerate the job. It is a great learning environment and you have some opportunities to grow within the organization.

Cons

The compensation per hour could have been better. I definitely feel like you are overworked and underpaid. They assign too many patients per caregiver, and want us to spend adequate time with each patient, but it's nearly impossible since you have 8-12 other patients to look after. There isn't enough space in the hospital to accommodate all of the patients. I feel like they jam as many patients as they can into one room to get in as many folks as possible, making the direct care staff suffer. The management's only concern is making as much money as they can off of people, and they don't value their employees enough. One should never get home one night after work and break down because of all the stress, and not ever want to go back to work again, a situation I was in probably 80% of the time.

2. "Registered Nurse"

I have been working at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time

Pros

Co-workers, the surrounding area is full of outdoor activities

Cons

Lots of change happening at once. It will be good when all is said and done though!

"There's a reason they're not a highly rated employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time

Pros

- High pay for the area
    - Organization has some very talented people working for it
    - Lots of different business locations in area to move around in
    - In midst of a growth plan which involves image makeover and infrastructure improvements

Cons

- Ineffective management, especially at the higher levels. Lack of accountability, lot's of finger pointing, passing the buck and excuse making
    - Capital management is non-existent, project overruns and high labor costs due to poor financial controls, poor decision making, poor employee relations, and poor employee retention strategies
    - Huge turnover issues at mid and lower levels, lot's of favoritism, lack of leadership, too much complaining about how its all the fault of the millennials
    - Way too much emphasis on physician recruitment ($$$) not enough on support staff ($)
    - Over reliance on travelling nurses at the expense of hours for the permanent staff, no loyalty to the folks that stick around
    - Organization tolerates too many problem employees at the expense of the one's doing the right thing, which end up ruining it for everyone.
    - Lack of meaningful communication and too much fluff

It took a while, but I was finally able to get out and without burning any bridges.

Advice to Management

Sorry, but you're not going to follow it anyway.

4. "CNA"

I have been working at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time

Pros

Great friendly work environment, openings all the time

Cons

Low pay and under appreciated, high acuity assignments.

Advice to Management

Increase pay.

"Inept Middle Managment"

Former Employee - Psychiatric Technician in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Psychiatric Technician in Rapid City, SD

Pros

Compensation was nice. Seen some upper and middle managers removed this past year under new CEO Brent Philips leadership.

Cons

Middle management will do anything to maintain their status to include bullying upper management and destroying anything positive subordinates want to add to the organization. Anyone who wants to set standards or accountability is bullied. I've seen people swear, push, taunt and hit patients and never get fired or reprimanded with no investigation. If a person mentions standards and accountability they are fired under false allegations with absolutely no investigation. Please google and read comments under the local newspaper Rapid City Journal "Mick Gibbs Resigns." It will give you a snapshot of the professionalism within the organization.

Advice to Management

Offer early retirement packages to some middle managers. Do real investigations and reprimands into misconduct.

"Little hospital"

Former Employee - PCU Staff RN
    Former Employee - PCU Staff RN

I worked at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No phones. No parking issues, no fees for parking.

Cons

Leadership was lacking. Management was fishy in dealings. Tried to get me sign away my PTO when I moved from FT to PT. Against policy. But tried to bully me until I called compliance.

Advice to Management

Since leaving management was changed. A few from my department, managers and assist managers were merely reassigned to other positions. My friend did a traveler position, said it's all travelers now. What fulltime staff there is are not getting hours.

"Do NOT work in housekeeping!"

I have been working at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Housekeeping management has been taken over by a company called Crothall Healthcare. They are terrible and do not know how to manage employees. They drive their employees like slaves and only keeping adding more work to you. They do not care if you get help with your rooms and you are worked to your breaking point. Supervisor is very rude, sarcastic and demanding and plays favorites. Don't expect to get your requested vacation time.

Advice to Management

Quit treating employees like slaves and jump in and help when we are so short instead of sitting in the office gossiping about the employees and talking bad about them. Pay employees a better wage and people might stick around better. Stop piling up more work on an already stressed out and broken team with very low morale.

8. "Things are changing for the better"

Current Employee - Epic Applications Analyst
    Current Employee - Epic Applications Analyst

I have been working at Rapid City Regional Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

- Executive management is taking a proactive approach to changing things
    - IT Compensation is good for the area
    - Strong Commitment to good change
    - Vision to be the best health care system in the nation.

Cons

- Older managers who have been there for a long time are resistant to change and hold employee's down
    - I am giving the old CEO listed (Tim Sughrue) a thumbs down in this review, however the new CEO Brent Phillips would get a hearty thumbs up if he was listed.

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at the management who has been there for 30+ years and ensure that they are holding to the new values that you want to ensure the best health care system in the nation.

"Great place to work if in the right department"

I worked at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time

Pros

Great people to work with who legitimately love their job. Benefits are pretty good for full time employees.

Cons

Unless you are a physician or corporate, pay is low. For a "non-profit" there is quite a revenue based theme for the hospital.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees that are the foundation of the organization (RN's, PT's, other departmental staff) rather than being solely driven on physician and management recommendations.

"Employee over 20 years"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Rapid City Regional Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good employees work there. Nice place to raise a family.

Cons

CEO,. President of RCRH. Most of the VP's
    One of the worst Healthcare Systems in the World.
    Human Resources Management.

Advice to Management

When Dr.Hart And Mr.Sughrue ran the Corporation it was one of the best in the World. Then the New CEO and President came in and in one year it is one of the worst. I don't want my friends or Family to go to Regional health You should not either.