Rapid Response Monitoring "alarm" Reviews | Glassdoor

Rapid Response Monitoring Employee Reviews about "alarm"

Updated May 14, 2018

4.7
Rapid Response Monitoring Chairman and CEO Russell R. MacDonnell
Russell R. MacDonnell
Pros
  • "Great benefits are hard to come by but ours seems to be really good(in 19 reviews)

• "You get a free gym membership and access to a physical therapist at work which is also free(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Working weekends is probably the toughest part(in 12 reviews)

• "They try and use the new "Flashy" building as a selling point but don't mention that your alarm will be waiting 5(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "alarm"

Return to all Reviews

"Found my fit at Rapid Response Monitoring"

Current Employee - Control Center Specialist

I have been working at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time

Pros

Working at Rapid Response Monitoring has provided me with a career where I feel I fit, and feel like I make a difference. Rapid Response is a service provider first and foremost, the customers subscribe to have their alarms of various types monitored. As with any service provider type of company, there are happy customers and there are not so happy customers, however at the end of the day I always leave work feeling like I've helped people and made a difference. The training provided gives the foundation and structure necessary to be successful in this company, yet does not feel overwhelming or tedious. During training you work with an experienced and personable trainer who will guide you to an understanding of the rules of regulations required in alarm handling. The four week paid training ensures you have the knowledge required to perform all of the functions necessary with confidence. The entry position of Control Center Specialist is the base of the entire company. If you enjoy a job where you have structure, where you know what you will be doing every day, and yet still have enough of variation to keep it interesting, then you will fit in this position well. You process every alarm with the same structure, yet every alarm will be different. The amount of support available to the Control Center Specialist is amazing. You will never feel out there alone, without an answer to a problem. You will always have someone to turn to for guidance or advice if you should need it. The direct supervisors to the specialists are/were specialists once themselves. They have been there and done that, and are always available. In my time as a specialist I have never once felt I was in a bind, without means to find a viable answer for a customer. The management team, in my opinion, are some of the best I have ever worked with. There is a sense that they are on your side, that if you have a problem, you can go to them. I have never held a position where the management seems to be working hard and longer than the regular employees, but at Rapid Response, that is the case. At the new facility in Corona, CA, there seems to be nothing but room for growth and opportunity. If you would like a place with future advancement opportunities than this is also the place for you. I for one, am excited at what the future will bring at Rapid Response Monitoring!

Cons

As with any service provider type of career, when dealing with customers, you will encounter some who are unhappy with their service. However, in my experience, unhappy customers are few and far between with Rapid Response Monitoring as the goal is to be the best in the business, and I believe it shows to the customer. The only other con that I can think of is the fact that, yes this is a 24 hour job! Meaning: alarm systems do not stop needing to be monitored after 8 hours in a day. So the need to have people working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is mandatory. That being said, Rapid Response does its best to be fair to all of its specialists, and use a general rotating shift schedule. You will work weekends. You will have split days off. You will be assigned to a shift, either 1st (7am-3pm), 2nd (3pm-11pm) or 3rd (11pm-7am). There are, however, other mid-shift start times, and the company does work with you if the need should arise to change shifts.

Rapid Response Monitoring2016-02-17

"Micromanaged - you're just a number and scores."

Operations in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Rapid Response Monitoring for more than a year

Pros

First off the building in Syracuse is absolutely beautiful! The "main floor" has giant glass windows and three GIANT televisions. One shows the buffer and the other two show the weather channel (with no audio or subtitles). Benefits are great and affordable and they offer 1-week vacation and 1-week personal in your first year if you're hired at the right time. They provide excellent paid training for 3 weeks then 1 week in the training pod which seems to be enough time to get the idea but after that, your thrown into the shark tank to survive. Supervisors are great but everyone higher is full of themselves. Chance of winning prizes almost every week but they only cater to people who get out by 5 pm. You get a free gym membership and access to a physical therapist at work which is also free! The current break room always has a plethora of drink choices but the food is usually nasty and nonexistent after 7 pm. They order tons of pizza every first Friday but its only delivered in a few large batches so hopefully, your lunch isn't late. It's easy to request days off and your schedules are usually 2-3 months in advance so you can plan accordingly.

Cons

This company is NOT made out to be what they advertise it as. This company has changed so much in the last two years that the current overall review is far from accurate. (as you can see from recent reviews). The job is now easier than ever so now new operators don't make as many mistakes but the ones who have been there are still riddled with outdated errors. They try and use the new "Flashy" building as a selling point but don't mention that your alarm will be waiting 5+ minutes when we're busy. Too much micromanaging, you're not a person but rather a series of numbers and scores. You are required to memorize SOOOO much information and when you ask a supervisor for help they will tell you the answer then joke about it to your peers later. Somethings management makes you do certain things that are completely idiotic but they are not the ones who have to relay this info to customers so its easy for them to tell you to do it. Quality assurance pulls 4 calls/alarms a month and they absolutely nitpick every little detail and have no remorse knowing that whatever score you get determines your position in the company. You are stuck at a desk for 6.5 hrs a day but you do have the option to stand (hopefully you're shorter than 5'6 or else it's too short at the max height). The companies you monitor for are sometimes scam artists who prey off of disabled and elderly people who constantly complain to you about it but Rapid Response Monitoring DOES NOT CARE. The only time you hear from management is when something is wrong and they couldn't name 30% of the operations department. Sometimes you will have to wait 30 minutes to take a break and if you don't accept it in the 2-minute frame well I guess you're not going on that break. But if you need to use the bathroom there is always a pass available for that, but that's all recorded and monitored. Oh yeah, and they love to lie to your face to hide flaws in the company.

Rapid Response Monitoring2018-05-15

Rapid Response Monitoring Response

May 22, 2018Company leadership

Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback. As you mentioned, our building has undergone a major renovation. The upgrades added to our facility were largely driven by the feedback we received from our employees. We take feedback very seriously. While we have made some great improvements, we are always working to be the best company possible for both our customers and employees. As we continue to grow we will see more challenging processes and want to make sure we are doing everything possible to support our team. You have shared a lot of thoughts here and have indicated that you are a current employee. I encourage you reach out to your manager or a member of human resources. We would like the opportunity to provide you with a platform to help us understand your feelings in more detail and work with you to make any necessary changes.

Continue reading

"I'm sorry I worked there..over 5 years"

Former Employee - Operations in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent starting pay, good benefits, mostly good co-workers

Cons

There is a lot more to write here. I'll be brief though. You are treated like a second class citizen. You are picked apart for the smallest error. Even ones that created no problems. Almost like "dotting i's and crossing t's" They write you up for every infraction to build ammunition to fire you ANY time they want. I have taken more abuse there then any job I have ever had. No matter how hard you work, they hold raises back until you jump through hoops. And then usually not. The management and supervisors are sneaks. Not a great quality. When you truly try to help someone, especially the elderly on medical alarms, you get written up for going above and beyond. They want you to lose the call as fast as possible, even when you can help someone. You are treated like a child, and watched like a hawk. Very two faced. They have their favorites, and everyone else can run past them in flames and they would not waste a glass of water on you. The bonuses people on here talk about are almost IMPOSSIBLE to reach. Very few people see them

Rapid Response Monitoring2017-07-27

"Meh?"

Former Employee - Control Center Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Exceptional employees. Pretty impressive group of people working for this company. -Clean and beautiful facility. -Definite opportunity for resume building if you're interested in moving up and chasing responsibility. -Great job for people who are young and have no families. -Personally enjoyed the work overall. -Through training program.

Cons

-Claims to be a progressive company, but zero interest in retaining employees or working with them outside of the box. -Scheduling is an absolute nightmare. One weekend off a month. -Zero interest in employee work/life balance. -Not family friendly, almost none of your direct mid-level management have families. -Revolving door. -Sitting (or standing) at your desk for literally 7 hrs and 10 mins a day. -Super lame corporate culture. -A ton of berating from disgruntled customers who think you're their alarm company. A lot of beratement from alarm dealers.

Rapid Response Monitoring2015-06-27

"Extremely pleased with the company so far."

Current Employee - Control Center Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Extremely welcoming and friendly environment -Supervisors are patient and happy to help with any and all questions -training is thorough and on-going -This job will stretch your abilities and take you out of your comfort zone if you have not done this kind of work before. I feel this is a positive thing because they are also extremely supportive throughout the training process and go above and beyond to help people out. -an 8 hour shift is really 8 hours long and includes pay for time spent on all breaks and lunches -Lots of overtime opportunity after about 2 months -Overtime is rarely if ever required -Competitive entry level pay -Full Benefits package after just 90 days -You know your work schedule more than a month out at any given time making it easy to plan around work.

Cons

-No wiggle room on breaks and Lunch times. Due to the nature of the business (protecting life and property) break/lunch times have to be strictly enforced. This is not an issue for me but is something to be aware of if you tend to lose track of time on your breaks/lunch -Breaks are very short. Break time is 10 minutes which is barely enough time to use the restroom and grab a small snack. You get 2 breaks which you can take pretty much whenever you want -Lunch is also short. 30 minutes is enough time to eat but wont give you enough time to go out to eat somewhere so you need to bring your lunch or pay a small fortune to buy primarily junk food available in the break room convenience store (equivalent to what you might find in the refrigerated sections of a small convenience gas station store) -Breaks have to be requested from a break pass Que. When a pass is available you can take your pass and go to break. The problem is you can be stuck processing an alarm when it becomes your turn and miss your pass which you have only 2 minutes to accept. It has taken me as long as an hour and a half to actually get to break. On the positive side of this if you really NEED to take a break and are having trouble getting there the supervisors will help you or may let you take a personal break. For me personally having significant trouble getting to break has only happened perhaps once a week on average. Most of the time it takes less than 15 minutes to get to break. -Unscheduled breaks have to be requested from the supervisors. They have to make sure they have coverage so you have to ask permission for an extra bathroom run. This is the nature of the business. It is essential that there are enough people available at all times because we are protecting life and property. ***The simple solution to this is to not wait for it to be an emergency!

Rapid Response Monitoring2015-04-16
  6. "Current Mid-Level Employee. With any job there are Pros and Cons. The pros are more plentiful."

Current Employee - Mentor in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

About me: I have been with the company for just over 2 years. Within 6 months I was trained in the entry level skill sets and was then promoted to an elevated position. Within another 6 months, I was promoted to my current position where I have been for over a year. The ability to advance is there if you have a positive attitude, come to work on time, do your job well, show you are interested (interact with those around you), and avoid negativity. When I started the pay was a bit lower, but I have heard it has since been raised which certainly helps. Benefits: Health insurance, optional overtime, event giveaways, incentive programs*, Paid time off (Personal/Vacation), opportunities for advancement, varying job hats (Customer service rep, Data Entry, Sales, etc). One of the newer big pushes the company has implemented are incentive programs. The company is focusing more making sure employees are happy. There is a point system that allows you to redeem points for things like movie tickets and gift cards. More recently the company implemented a Monopoly program, if you get all the pieces of the property you won prizes that ranged from VIP parking to big ticket items like an Xbox bundle, Tablet, or a Flat screen tv. Incentives for doing your job. Everyone had a fair chance as some of those who received prizes were average (not Top) performers. There are also end of year incentives and bonuses as well with different metrics. These end of year bonuses are monetary bonuses. These incentives are much newer and continue to develop. When I first began there weren't many. The company is actively listening to the employees and making improvements. Job Scope: If you can read, follow instructions, and type/navigate with a keyboard and mouse then you can do this job. Very easy work that ends when you punch out. There are performance measurements but again if you come to work and do your job then you have nothing to worry about.

Cons

As easy as this job is, it isn't for everyone. I will certainly admit that it is very repetitive. Everyone once in a while you get a "tough call' where there is an actual emergency, however they are few and far between. Being that it is a call center, you may on occasion get hung up on, or may have to speak with a customer who feels they are above you. Nice thing about this is you don't get paid to be yelled at by someone being offensive or unreasonable. But guess who does.... Supervisors. Transfer the caller and move on with your day. Regarding Turnover: Turnover occurs at any company. With call centers in general it is an unfortunate, but expected issue. Some people leave due to the repetition, however most of the employees who do leave, do so to pursue career opportunities in their educational fields. Many of our personnel have degrees in fields like criminal justice, education, and law. Negative Attitudes: When I first joined the company I almost fell into the "wrong crowd" as they say. Some of the first people I met were "veteran" operators with 1+ years experience at Rapid who may have had a bad review, or simply didn't agree with certain policies in place. As a result, they complain to their coworkers which creates a negative aura. After removing myself from this negative environment I realized that these people are the ones who may have been turned down for a position a time or two (because of their attitudes) or are just generally unhappy in their home lives which they cannot seem to leave the baggage at the door. Advice for Applicants: Don't be a negative Nelly or fall into this crowd. Regimented: I agree that the job is very regimented with things like breaks, lunches, personals, etc. However there is a reason for it. This is a 24hour/7day industry. Alarms don't stop coming in because you decide to get of from your desk. As a result yes there is a pass system. The only reason for the system is to make sure that there is adequate coverage for the activity. A supervisor will NEVER tell you that you cannot use the restroom. They may ASK if you could wait a few more minutes as 7 other people are also on breaks and lunches. Think about it like this. If you had an alarm that went off at your house but it took the alarm company 5 mins to call you on it, would the following excuse be acceptable: "Sorry sir/maam our personnel needed to use the restroom, sorry for the delay". Again, yes breaks/lunches are timed, but not without reason.

Rapid Response Monitoring2014-06-05

"Fair"

Former Employee - Central Station Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is growing and looking to expand on the west coast. They have 2 week training and then ease you onto the floor so that you are not thrown to the wolves. The benefits are pretty good including paid gym membership.

Cons

The work can be monotonous. Aside from medical alarms, most signals are false alarms. Everyone is militarized, breaks are monitored to the second, bathrooms require ID card to unlock, There is no real chance to leave your desk because you are taking or making call after call. When I started the pay was only $10/hr but I've heard that they have raised it.

Rapid Response Monitoring2014-03-20

"Not a bad place to work for a few months (you'll get some stories, at least...)"

Former Employee - Control Center Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Rapid Response Monitoring full-time for less than a year

Pros

They hire a lot of people so it's really easy to get a job here if you've got two years of college experience under your belt. The NASCAR-themed chili dogs and sausage biscuits from the lunchroom vending machine are strangely delicious. Paid lunch. The office is very clean. The work is pretty interesting at first so the day goes by quickly for the first couple of months. Expectations for what you're supposed to do are extremely clear, and you won't experience any surprises. I actually liked all of my managers and thought they were quite fair.

Cons

They hire a lot of people because so many people quit, not because they are expanding. They are really strict on the timing of your lunches and breaks (the other reviewers are not joking about how difficult it is to take a bathroom break), so if you leave your lunch at home by accident, those Dale Jr. Chili Dogs are your only option during your paid lunch. The obsession with office cleanliness is legitimately creepy. You'll sometimes have a depressed custodian literally cleaning your NASCAR-themed biscuit crumbs from under you while you're eating. The work becomes tedious quickly (because you soon realize that 99.99% of alarms are false alarms), with the exceptions being moments of extreme panic and stress. While Rapid runs an extremely tight ship and provides excellent customer service, the companies that outsource their alarm monitoring to Rapid are often quite dubious. The burglary alarms are constantly malfunctioning, and police are required to respond to them (but will issue fines to the homeowners for any false alarm.) During big east coast storms, when the wind sets off every window sensor on Long Island, you'll work mandatory 12 hour days doing nothing but sidetracking police during a time when they are needed to take care of actual emergencies. The medical alarms are of insanely poor quality, so you'll be trying to talk an elderly person through what to do while they're having a stroke through a speaker that pales in comparison to the Fisher Price walkie-talkies of your childhood. Once you get your first 50 cent/hr raise (for being trained as an answering service representative) you see the entire picture. For sure, some of the alarm companies they represent are great, but a large portion of the customer base comes from companies that sell door-to-door and rely on "free" alarm system installations that come with extremely overpriced three-year contracts that are nearly impossible for customers to escape from. You're forced to pretend that you actually work for many of these alarm companies, and getting screamed at by customers is pretty common, whether it's for the abundance of false alarm fines caused by the shoddy equipment, or your inability to explain some predatory billing policy you know nothing about. Of course, you're still dealing with the pitfalls of customer service in general - the most common thing you'll get yelled at for is the customers' inability to remember their own passcodes or verbal passwords. You will not get through a day without hearing "I pay you to keep me safe, not to dispatch the police on me for no reason!" multiple times. Basically, after six months, you'll be jealous of the security guard who is walking around outside in the frigid Syracuse winter.

Rapid Response Monitoring2014-01-10

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 8 reviews