Rapid7 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rapid7 President and Chief Executive Officer Corey E. Thomas
Corey E. Thomas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • People are willing to help you to be successful so don't be afraid to ask questions (in 11 reviews)

• I looked over some of the recent reviews of people saying "there's no work life balance," "you need to make 50 dials / day" etc (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be tough at times (in 22 reviews)

• No work life balance - Red flag for me as I have a wife, kids and pet to take care, been here for almost a year but already looking for employment (in 8 reviews)

1. "Awesome place for development"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Snacks, great management, helpful colleagues, awesome culture

Cons

Hard work, but good for development

Advice to Management

Keep it going

"Pull your weight or burn out"

I worked at Rapid7 full-time

Pros

The company truly cares about improving security, doing research that helps the world, and not being the next Symantec.
    If you work there long enough, you have great learning opportunities.
    The compensation in Products and Engineering is very market competitive.
    If you have the emotional intelligence, you can create the necessary coalitions to be impactful.
    You have to be a real a**hole to get a vacation request denied (this is different in Sales)
    There is an impressive customer focus, so the user experience org is ENORMOUS.
    The CEO is brilliant and works himself to the bone.

Cons

HR is years behind other departments in maturity and it shows in the 401(k) and promotion "process".
    The politics have snowballed since the IPO.
    Upper management has a great vision for investors, but they have become disconnected from the average employee.
    Many people burn out if their manager doesn't demand they take vacation.
    Marketing is severely underfunded, understaffed, and underappreciated.
    Internal communication is a mess.
    There are enough different offices that factions have formed.

Advice to Management

Go beyond your lieutenants and occasional surveys in trying to identify how major decisions are received.
    Re-orgs are inevitable, but some of the best grenade-throwers shouldn't be promoted if they aren't coming to you with the solution. VP used to mean something.
    Stop answering serious monthly town hall questions by scoffing at the idea of fifth-year sabbaticals and a non-sales version of CLUB. "Those are just for different people" is a cop out as an answer. Just share the real reasons or ignore the question.

"Cool workspace, some great coworkers, needs work though!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of flexibility in your schedule and you can make it what you want it. The experience working in this industry, in this city, is unparalleled. There are some great people as well. The products are extremely innovative and the company is really making breakthroughs in the industry which is fun to be a part of. The benefits are great, there are tons of snacks, and the location of the office is convenient for pretty much anyone (for now).

Cons

You don't necessarily have to be hard-working to succeed at Rapid7. As an extremely driven, hard-working, and inventive person, this was hugely surprising and disappointing to me and immediately noticeable on day one. You just have to look like you work hard and do the bare minimum to get by and you'll still get praised as long as your numbers look good. It's common to have different departments - and even your own! - toss the work/project/problem over the fence to another. Issues are flagged, but resolution is scarce - this is an everyday occurrence at Rapid7. The company looks good on paper/on the resume but what's beneath the surface is disorderly processes, unresponsive and ignorant lower-level management, individuals driven for self-success.

Advice to Management

Everything here is "talk to your manager" but unfortunately if your manager doesn't stand up for individuals and their team, the ceiling is lowered for growth and your capability. Career growth is available to a select few favorites. If your manager isn't supportive of your career wants and needs, you're out of luck and stuck. If they simply don't like you for one reason or another, there's no one to support you. Rapid7 please look at your managers! Those are the people that make or break your company. Turnover is a problem and morale is low. Acknowledge it, face it, and change it. It can really be a great company that people are happy at, but you need to stop ignoring or even assuming what your employees are feeling and instead talk to them!

4. "A great company on so many levels"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great culture, good salaries, decent benefits and good opportunities for your professional growth through continuous learning provided by company. Motivating to be working along side highly intelligent, professional, driven and fun employees/employers. Being able to work from home a day or 2 is a major pro.

Cons

It has become a large company, so you don't always have the opportunity to interact with most co-workers.

Advice to Management

Management has been very perceptive about the importance of continuing to have a positive culture and work environment. Continue to evolve with your growing company.

"Account Exec"

I worked at Rapid7 full-time

Pros

supportive team environment, innovative technology, great foundation to learn

Cons

Could be more open to treating every employee like an adult.

"Good company, but bad management makes things bad"

I worked at Rapid7 full-time

Pros

Good people, Startup culture (good and bad), quarterly bonsues

Cons

Bad managers, or managers who don't understand how to grow people. A lot of attitude toward workers being throwaway. Not all parts of the company are like this, but enough are to be careful of the department you are in. Pay was NOT in market for a long time, so negotiate at market rates. Comp is skewed, like not getting a raise and instead getting 5 year stock vestings. For a security company in a hot industry, this doesn't make for good retention.

Advice to Management

You know you have bad managers, stop allowing them to create a toxic environment. DO SOMETHING ABOUT THEM.

"Beware: Especially Accounting"

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snacks
    Cold brew
    Near South Station
    Open Office

Cons

Modern-day Hunger Games
    Overworked and under recognized
    Poor Compensation compared to other companies
    "Unlimited" PTO, but too awkward or busy to ever use it
    Poor Work/Life balance
    Feels like there is no HR and managers can just belittle, curse, and say unfathomable things to their employees

Advice to Management

I can't speak highly enough of the top management. CEO and CFO and others at the top are incredible and truly passionate. It is at the manager level that concerns me. Make HR known and don't make it seem normal for employees to feel belittled, cursed at, or even told "well you should probably go kill yourself." I have particularly thick skin to deal with this for 2 years, but if I actually knew it wasn't normal, I would have spoken up.

"Excellent Company"

I worked at Rapid7 full-time

Pros

Great people, excellent culture and a set of values anyone can get behind.

Cons

They're in the "scaling" phase. This can be tough if you're looking to come in the door and revolutionize the foundation. That's already set, be looking to manage change and become flexible.

Advice to Management

Don't stop listening to your teams. The people are key. You hired top talent for a reason, get out of their way. :)

"All talk, no commitment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rapid7 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really talented people work here

Cons

-Petty and immature leadership
    -More focused on trying to look cool than living by their principals
    -Nepotism is pretty rampant
    -Serious lack of diversity, very disrespectful to women

Advice to Management

Actually follow the principals you talk about.

"Drink the Kool-Aid, It's Delicious."

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been here for a little over a year. I'm absolutely crazy for Rapid7 plus their attention to culture, life balance, and family. I travel a lot to support my clients, but my project managers see to it that I have a good amount of home time to be a father and husband because they know how much that means to me. I get free time to dedicate towards research and if I approach my management with money-issue over said research, they have always worked with me to find a compromise or encouraged me to reach higher. The talent of the team is superior and continues to grow at an exponential rate. Furthermore, I also get to be a mentor to associates on the team who are just coming into penetration testing. I'm happy to help train the next fleet of cyber warriors. In my opinion, I work with absolute rock stars from sales to executives and I have very little to 'truly' complain about.

Cons

Pay could be a little higher, but in Rapid7's defense, they do give us a lot of headway to blaze our own trail and funding isn't cut when it comes to training or research. Moving up the ladder is not impossible, but hard, as higher positions don't open very often.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. My home team (i.e. my family) and I appreciate all that you do to ensure we are treated like human beings and not sheeple.