Rapid7 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rapid7 President and Chief Executive Officer Corey E. Thomas
Corey E. Thomas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "People are willing to help you to be successful so don't be afraid to ask questions" (in 11 reviews)

• "I looked over some of the recent reviews of people saying "there's no work life balance," "you need to make 50 dials / day" etc" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is nearly non-existant in engineering" (in 22 reviews)

• "No work life balance - Red flag for me as I have a wife, kids and pet to take care, been here for almost a year but already looking for employment" (in 8 reviews)

"Biggest Regret- Leaving this company"

I worked at Rapid7 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They care more about their employees than they do the customer which in turn makes your job so much better.

They have awesome quarter end weeks with snacks and treats.

The people can't be beat! Its like one giant family.

They believe in the product being sold which makes it so much easier to back up and trust when you are working with customers.

Cons

Low ball salary

Some management play favorites which makes it toxic at times.

Advice to Management

Don't pick favorites!

Corey and senior management- keep up the positive culture and passion for the brand and products

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Rapid7 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Interesting industry and products
    *Healthcare benefits include pretty good coverage
    *Employee stock purchase program can be profitable
    *High turnover leads to good networks of ex-employees

Cons

*Company treats people as disposable. They burn some people out and put up with too much bullying and unwarranted finger-pointing that pushes others out. If you look through all these reviews, you'll see a cycle in which there are a number of reviews discussing this tendency, and then a new batch talking about the "great culture." They basically just shrug when people get screwed over, and then hire a new batch and get them to write reviews while they are still starry-eyed. I think they consider the excitement to be the "culture," but if you're shoving people out instead of dealing with the factors that make them unhappy, *that's* your actual culture. And they have developed a reputation within the industry for treating people badly.
    * "Grenade-throwers," as someone else aptly put it, are given power and influence, without having to prove they actually have any better plans for improving the situation.
    *Lack of clear paths for advancement. It seems like there would be opportunities, because the company is growing, but they don't develop people to lead.

Advice to Management

I don't even know what to tell you, because I saw several cycles of this, and you never seemed to learn from it. Meanwhile, lots of jerks are carefully observing what behavior is tolerated and pushing the limits.

Rapid7 Response

Jul 16, 2018

Super disappointing feedback, but we appreciate you taking the time to share. We strive to be an open door company, with a plethora of avenues to share your feedback so we can continually provide the... More

3. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time

Pros

Fun work culture, good pay!

Cons

No complaints here :)

"Lack of planning and obsession with Sales makes G&A jobs challenging."

I worked at Rapid7 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exploding industry, some fun people to work with

Cons

There is no management standard leading to some poor people managers. The company has some good ideas and principles but fails to put them into practice, a lot of talk for not a lot of walk. Work life balance is poor and they take advantage of young people expecting them to work all hours because they “don’t have a family”. The unlimited PTO is used to dissuade people from taking vacations. Rapid7 lacks a longer term strategy leading to a lot of scramble and shortcuts. There was no career development options and promises about progression were broken and timelines constantly extended. Pretty unstable environment with a lot of people churn making it hard to make any progress.

Advice to Management

Clean up middle management and enable growth for employees outside of Sales.

5. "My Favorite Work Environment to Date"

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rapid7 has an amazing culture, which is what has kept me here. Employee happiness matters, and it is shown through management. The company is large enough that your job feels stable, yet it still has somehow managed to maintain a software startup feel. Rapid7 also believes in giving back to the Information Technology and Security community, allowing employees to take on open source and personal research projects that benefit everyone. Finally, the job flexibility (at least in my role, and other roles I have seen) is amazing.

Cons

Clear roles/paths to advancement aren't really defined in the part of the organization I work for. The hiring seems to be fairly sporadic at the 'level' (i.e. senior, consultant, junior, etc) that employees are brought in at, and expectations for advancement while defined in writing are not actually followed. Also, the salary is not as competitive as some other places, but as the security field is in constant flux it really all boils down to what you negotiate in at, and then staying on top of your own advancement and pushing for what you feel is justified as you progress.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture, please. As we have grown so fast, the little things/perks that let us feel like a startup are noticeably disappearing. The culture is what has kept me here more than anything else, so please, please find a way to maintain it!

6. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent company to work for!

Cons

Fast paced company that may eat up a lot of your time.

7. "I am “selling” a “flying car”"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sell the flying car-

Rapid7’s solutions are in demand. With over a thousand inbound inquiries a week for our technology, there are no shortage of opportunities to earn the business of a client. We are selling the “Flying Car” in the Security marketplace. Their solutions make my job as an account executive so meaningful and fun. When clients ask about capabilities or features, it has yet to occur where I’ve had to respond with “no”.

Culture Shock:

Our culture is very unique. Waking up and being excited to go to work is new to me, but that’s exactly how I feel. There are boundless opportunities for personal growth in this organization, it’s about building your internal brand and bridging natural barriers that exist in large, global companies. If you enjoy being celebrated when you do well, and coached through your struggles, the Rapid7 team may be for you. You are setup to succeed here. All working towards a massive and mutual unified goal.

Free food:
    Free lunch at least once a month, fully stocked insane kitchen with more snacks than you can imagine. Plus a fully stocked beverage refrigerator, espresso station, and cold brew kegerator.. and the frequent beer/wine carts that come around.

Cons

Startup within an enterprise feel at times. The work life balance is not as bad as people have made it sound AT ALL, but it’s not a 9-5 job.

Advice to Management

Rapid growth can be a double edge sword at times. Remember to keep the go-to-market organization incentivized to work together to sell the platform and not the product.

There isn’t currently a clear program to show me how I can advance myself to further directions within the company. I’d love to see Rapid7 roll out a program that outlines advancement prerequisites and opportunities.

8. "A supportive environment for disciplined risk taking"

Former Employee - Software Engineer-II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer-II in Austin, TX

I worked at Rapid7 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Self starters are encouraged to take disciplined risks, suceed/fail, and learn from the past.
    - Diversity is well promoted.
    - Great hackathon culture.
    - Interesting products
    - Very smart people
    - Freedom and Autonomy

Cons

Like with anything, change is hard.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to take more in-house chances on original ideas.

"Average "People Grinder", posing as trendy start-up."

I worked at Rapid7 full-time

Pros

Great benefits, forward looking company, plenty of capital to spend (for better or worse).

Cons

Work life balance is nearly non-existant in engineering. They have many very smart, dedicated (obsessive) engineers, who don't need sleep and don't understand why you do. With so many smart people, it often feels like everyone is moving somewhere but nobody knows where or really has the bigger picture. Long story short, they make impressive products, but I can't recommend this job to anyone who wants a separation between work/home... or anyone that wants to feel valued even they pull extra hours. There is plenty of talks about making things better, but truthfully they don't seem to have the dedicated focus to actually implement much of it. There is extensive "training" but it's obviously very rarely considered day-to-day.

Advice to Management

Valuing employees, and more importantly their external lives, cannot be just words. Saying you value work life balance but also asking for more work completed ("at all costs") is incongruent.

10. "Great place to work, great technology and great people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The thing I like the most about Rapid7 is the concept that you always have resources to reach out to. Whether the questions are technical, personal or company related, it takes very little to get a solid answer or referral to get where you need to be. I am in a very technical position and the ability to reach out to everyone from frontline SEs or support, all the way to development staff for an immediate problem is incredibly valuable.

Cons

I am remote, so all the goodies that come from working in one of the offices are not really available to me. Pretty minor issue, but I could not think of other issues that are important to me at any level.

Advice to Management

Management is available, accessible and forward thinking. I like what they do and any missteps, which occur in every company, are resolved quickly. If they are longer term issues affecting the rank and file they are discussed in open forums. Very well done, I would say.