Rapid7 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rapid7 President and Chief Executive Officer Corey E. Thomas
Corey E. Thomas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • People are willing to help you to be successful so don't be afraid to ask questions (in 11 reviews)

• I looked over some of the recent reviews of people saying "there's no work life balance," "you need to make 50 dials / day" etc (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be tough at times (in 21 reviews)

• No work life balance - Red flag for me as I have a wife, kids and pet to take care, been here for almost a year but already looking for employment (in 8 reviews)

1. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working right alongside (physical or virtual) some of the smartest people I've met to date - constant stream of information and natural continuous learning. Office environment is great, unlimited PTO is great (just make sure you take advantage of it!), free snacks, etc etc etc....

Cons

Not any cons that are worth calling out on here that would be vastly different from what you see at any other company. I've wanted over a year to write a review just in case something comes up, and it hasn't!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

2. "Great place to work, great technology and great people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The thing I like the most about Rapid7 is the concept that you always have resources to reach out to. Whether the questions are technical, personal or company related, it takes very little to get a solid answer or referral to get where you need to be. I am in a very technical position and the ability to reach out to everyone from frontline SEs or support, all the way to development staff for an immediate problem is incredibly valuable.

Cons

I am remote, so all the goodies that come from working in one of the offices are not really available to me. Pretty minor issue, but I could not think of other issues that are important to me at any level.

Advice to Management

Management is available, accessible and forward thinking. I like what they do and any missteps, which occur in every company, are resolved quickly. If they are longer term issues affecting the rank and file they are discussed in open forums. Very well done, I would say.

"Sales Large Accounts"

Former Employee - Sales Large Accounts
    Former Employee - Sales Large Accounts

I worked at Rapid7 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology and engineers are really good. Company built itself on the foundation of vulnerability scanning and has grown into a lot of cool security areas. Depending on what kind of accounts you cover and the geography you get - that will be a toss up on if you will make money or not. Overall the solutions they offer are solid and the engineers are pretty good.

Cons

Easy - Sales Management is an absolute joke. 99% of them have never carried a bag or run campaigns in their careers, ever. Just look their history up on LinkedIn. On top of this you will have to deal with the game of what is my compensation plan after you close deals. Do well, get money removed from your check. Involve sales management in your deal, consider it a loss. Also you will see very strange behavior on how the executive team operates on revenue recognition and deal bookings. I would suspect that if they had an outside independent audit of their bookings and revenue recognition their practices would be suspect at best. Sales management is so week they have to operate with daily and sometimes hourly updates on deals in flight. Why? Because they have never run campaigns or complex deals. If you are a true security sales person, stay away. You will not be happy here at all.

Advice to Management

CEO actually is pretty damn good. This is surprising since the majority of his E team is really weak. Guessing the CEO is absent from company daily operations and does not inspect sales management or practices on his watch. Par for the course with a company this size.

"Security Solutions Engineer II"

Current Employee - Security Solutions Engineer II in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Security Solutions Engineer II in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New employee but the entire review and vetting process was excellent.
    Every question was answered honestly, including what is up with the Glassdoor reviews.
    I was asked to show my knowledge before the round of interviews.
    The round of interviews were great as they test everyone’s people skills and how to see each other.
    I met everyone who was a manager or above and we had some detailed and interesting conversations.

Cons

None so far.
    Every job has one though.
    Wish more flights to Boston were direct.
    Glassdoor has a 20 word minimum.
    As I have been here I will update.

Advice to Management

Keep working on this methodology and open discussion

"Best Place I've worked yet"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unbeatable Culture, Focus on equality in the workplace, Good pay, Good Benefits, Unlimited Vacation, Super Smart People/Leadership, Solid Product, Great Presence in Marketplace.

Cons

Work Hard Play Hard- But seriously, It's nothing like what some of these reviews make it out to be.. Very realistic expectations for people who want to make money.

Advice to Management

Keep on Rocking. The fact you are listening to your employees speaks volumes about our companies future.

6. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Web/Graphic Design Co-op in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Web/Graphic Design Co-op in Boston, MA

I worked at Rapid7 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met a ton of amazing, friendly, and helpful people during my time at Rapid7. The projects were fun and engaging, with lots of variety in between. I learned a lot of useful skills and made lifelong friends.

Cons

Sometimes the free snacks would not restock for a day, but that's the only real con I can think of.

"Pull your weight or burn out"

I worked at Rapid7 full-time

Pros

The company truly cares about improving security, doing research that helps the world, and not being the next Symantec.
    If you work there long enough, you have great learning opportunities.
    The compensation in Products and Engineering is very market competitive.
    If you have the emotional intelligence, you can create the necessary coalitions to be impactful.
    You have to be a real a**hole to get a vacation request denied (this is different in Sales)
    There is an impressive customer focus, so the user experience org is ENORMOUS.
    The CEO is brilliant and works himself to the bone.

Cons

HR is years behind other departments in maturity and it shows in the 401(k) and promotion "process".
    The politics have snowballed since the IPO.
    Upper management has a great vision for investors, but they have become disconnected from the average employee.
    Many people burn out if their manager doesn't demand they take vacation.
    Marketing is severely underfunded, understaffed, and underappreciated.
    Internal communication is a mess.
    There are enough different offices that factions have formed.

Advice to Management

Go beyond your lieutenants and occasional surveys in trying to identify how major decisions are received.
    Re-orgs are inevitable, but some of the best grenade-throwers shouldn't be promoted if they aren't coming to you with the solution. VP used to mean something.
    Stop answering serious monthly town hall questions by scoffing at the idea of fifth-year sabbaticals and a non-sales version of CLUB. "Those are just for different people" is a cop out as an answer. Just share the real reasons or ignore the question.

"Cool workspace, some great coworkers, needs work though!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of flexibility in your schedule and you can make it what you want it. The experience working in this industry, in this city, is unparalleled. There are some great people as well. The products are extremely innovative and the company is really making breakthroughs in the industry which is fun to be a part of. The benefits are great, there are tons of snacks, and the location of the office is convenient for pretty much anyone (for now).

Cons

You don't necessarily have to be hard-working to succeed at Rapid7. As an extremely driven, hard-working, and inventive person, this was hugely surprising and disappointing to me and immediately noticeable on day one. You just have to look like you work hard and do the bare minimum to get by and you'll still get praised as long as your numbers look good. It's common to have different departments - and even your own! - toss the work/project/problem over the fence to another. Issues are flagged, but resolution is scarce - this is an everyday occurrence at Rapid7. The company looks good on paper/on the resume but what's beneath the surface is disorderly processes, unresponsive and ignorant lower-level management, individuals driven for self-success.

Advice to Management

Everything here is "talk to your manager" but unfortunately if your manager doesn't stand up for individuals and their team, the ceiling is lowered for growth and your capability. Career growth is available to a select few favorites. If your manager isn't supportive of your career wants and needs, you're out of luck and stuck. If they simply don't like you for one reason or another, there's no one to support you. Rapid7 please look at your managers! Those are the people that make or break your company. Turnover is a problem and morale is low. Acknowledge it, face it, and change it. It can really be a great company that people are happy at, but you need to stop ignoring or even assuming what your employees are feeling and instead talk to them!

"The Worst Place I Have Ever Worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Rapid7 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is moving downtown.

Cons

They are all talk.... things are going to be amazing when we move to the new office, FALSE! We care about your growth as a person, FALSE. We do not micro manage, FALSE FALSE FALSE. Our culture is amazing, very FALSE for Austin TX. This company is full of promises but not action. I wouldn’t work here unless you want a depressing work environment and a company that does not invest in there employees. Working 8-5 is looked down upon- they tell you 8 hours is fine- but when you walk out the door you get scolded and feel the anger from management. They tell you end of quarter will be a party and bring champagne and games , but when you do they literally tell you that you can’t drink it and that you’re being too loud. So glad I got out of the Austin office when I could. They are bitter about anyone who leaves this company - a guy left for a sales job at Google and all you heard after he left was people talking mess about him (bitter about him going to one of the best companies to work for, instead of staying at the worst).
    Do yourself a favor, just see past there lies and look elsewhere. You can find 1000 better Sales and CSM jobs- invest in your well being and do not be fooled.

Advice to Management

The golden rule- treat your employees how you would want to be treated.... cause you don’t - we aren’t 16 year old interns.

Rapid7 Response

Mar 30, 2018

Wow. This is incredibly distressing to read. We work very hard to build environments where every single person has the opportunity to thrive. We know our Austin sales & CSM teams have a tremendous... More

"Save yourself and run away"

Current Employee - CSM in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - CSM in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have chips and its downtown.

Cons

This place talks about culture but is literally one of the worst models of culture I have ever seen. Everyone who works here is miserable and this job will bring you down to match them. I currently work here and am trying to get out ASAP. I see people quit everyday cause they are miserable, and that is probably the only time you see happy people. They will also hate on you when you leave because of how bitter upper management is about everything.

Advice to Management

Realize how miserable your employees are and try and fix it instead of worrying about yourself and how you look to others.

Rapid7 Response