Rapid7 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rapid7 President and Chief Executive Officer Corey E. Thomas
Corey E. Thomas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • People are willing to help you to be successful so don't be afraid to ask questions (in 11 reviews)

• I looked over some of the recent reviews of people saying "there's no work life balance," "you need to make 50 dials / day" etc (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be tough at times (in 19 reviews)

• No work life balance - Red flag for me as I have a wife, kids and pet to take care, been here for almost a year but already looking for employment (in 8 reviews)

"Yes, there are growing pains - but it's because we're destined for greatness."

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Rapid7 for over 3 years now, and with that, I've seen this company evolve from a "all hands on deck, anything to get the deal over the line" start up feeling company to what it is today, which can be better described as medium sized organization with ambitious growth goals and looking for the best way to balance scale and maintaining culture along the way.

I looked over some of the recent reviews of people saying "there's no work life balance," "you need to make 50 dials / day" etc. and then I reflect on some of the people who have left in the last 12 months. Yes, we lost some good people out there, folks who had been top performers and natural leaders across the sales floor who are missed for both their morale and their contributions to Rapid7. But for the most part, we've lost people who didn't have any passion for the job, for the organization, and weren't willing to put in the work. They weren't coachable, they didn't want to try new things and get creative, or lean into learning. And many of these folks got lucky in the first 6 months with monster deals that fell onto their plate, and then when it came time to build their own brand, they bailed. I don't miss these people.

What I can say is that I've built my sales career here. I started back in 2014 as a awkward wobbly sales rep (at best), but took advantage of the mentors and management around me (yes, I sought it out - nothing was handed to me, and those who took the time were not taken for granted). Fast forward to now, I'm a top sales rep coaching others to be successful, and my prospects / customers WANT to talk to me - not only because I'm good at my job now but because our technology and services are helping them be successful. And that's worth a lot. Yes, there's still hunting (which I enjoy) but at least we're not hearing Rapid7 who? We're hearing, "I've heard you guy are doing great things over there, I'm willing to hear you out."

And also to debunk another myth - I take over about 4 weeks of vacation, come in and leave when I want, and never feel guilty about it. I also go to the gym 3x/week during lunch and just work my sales calls around my personal schedule. Our management trusts we're adults and let us do what we want as long as we're doing our job. Just do your job.

I'm writing this not because anyone asked me to, but because it frustrates me that people who are coming onto this website and looking at these reviews won't get the full picture. We value hard working, passionate people who are willing to put in the work and be coachable. That hasn't and will never change.

Cons

Said growing pains:

1. Some shifts in direction, but I think we're on the right path now. I trust my leadership team, and I appreciate that they're willing to take risks, and also brave enough to re-steer the ship when needed.

2. Aging systems - We're currently in the processing of modernizing our systems and processes to align with our higher demand. But in the meantime, things have been a bit less efficient.

Advice to Management

Continue to be bold and continue to communicate with the teams. It goes a long way.

"Excellent under my previous manager (May leong)"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Rapid7 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I Recommend rapid7 very highly. Speaking exclusively of the Singapore office I saw only 1 person leave in my 10 months there (I left reluctantly). 1 other left but promptly came back.

I can really only speak to my time in in the business development team and for which I cannot recommend highly enough . What a great introduction to the world of technology . A lot of that praise rests squarely at the feet of my old manager. She had faith in her employees and while offering guidance allowed you to craft success in your own way- provided you were performing - this was a sales job after all.

There was an atmosphere created whereby I genuinely looked forward to coming to work everyday. For someone entering tech, and in Singapore I couldn't recommend this team enough. WARNING: The occassional nerf gun sniper is a clear and ever present danger!! Also you'll put on weight with them feeding u constantly.

Cons

The onboarding process should have had more education around the industry and less assumption about how Tech savvy some are. Understand some of us have limited tech background.

Advice to Management

See cons

"Incredible learning opportunities!"

Current Employee - Business Development in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Business Development in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Moose family is very well knitted even across regions and other offices. You'll get to learn a lot as the company emphasise on continuous learning and promotes internal growth. Most importantly, the culture and environment is great which makes working together a wonderful pleasure.

Help is also always given when you need it. People are willing to help you to be successful so don't be afraid to ask questions. This emphasis on teamwork is what makes the office bonded and pleasure to work with.

Cons

None that I can think of right now.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do! rock on!

4. "Great working environment and atmosphere!"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- If you are looking for a place with no office politics. Here is the place to be!
    - Teamwork at its best. Everyone is willing to help one another to succeed!
    - Open and free communication within the office between employees, managers and directors.
    - Fun environment with lots of laughter.
    - Managers and Directors are great!They support you with the intentions to make you do well, and progress. Always looking for ways to improve you and open new doors for you.
    - Different departments are always willing to help each other for a common team goal. (APAC goal)
    - Fun team bonding activities throughout the year. And since the office population isn't huge, everyone is very close to one another.
    - When deadlines are near, and you are missing out on your numbers/targets, everyone will help to the best of their abilities to ensure that your numbers are close or met.
    - I personally work under a manager who actively defends me and fight for me, which means a lot.
    - Lots of snacks!
    - Expanding company.

Cons

- If you are not willing to adapt and be part of the team, it can be difficult because the whole office is one team.
    - If you are looking to lose weight, you need to be very discipline!
    - Yes, the work can be stressful, with numbers and targets to meet! But this is the same everywhere you go. But at least targets are achievable here. Majority of the employees in this office hit our targets. It's all about your attitude.

Advice to Management

To keep the great team culture going!

5. "Great company"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Rapid7 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to grow if you are junior.

Cons

I saw more pros than cons.

Advice to Management

none

"Lost it's shine, still hopeful."

Current Employee - Engineering in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

all the way up to 2015 - 5 stars. Some of the best human beings I have worked with - active and alumni.

Cons

Obligatory my manager was terrible and was never around. Promises were given but never executed on. They would rather replace you with someone cheaper. Red Flag!

With all the go to market and org changes - the politics remind me of a large tech company. might as well go work at a large firm if its the same BS. Lots of great security start ups in the area that were like R7 circa 2010.

Advice to Management

tldr; Hire well - good managers and motivated engineers. Cut dead wood. change review system from GPA system. if i am a 2/3 (C/B player) why was I hired?

"Worst Company To Join - Run Far Far away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Ummmmmmmmmm almost a year but still thinking

Cons

1. Unhealthy snacks
    2. Aggressive management
    3. Poor training - There is no ramp up time, you have to start getting deals within a month of your employment. They lure you in with fake pipeline.
    4. 50 dials are necessary per day, they say it not necessary just to phish you in the job once you here YOU ARE DOOMED
    5. Taking lunch outside is frowned upon they want you at your desk all the time with headset on.
    6. Unlimited vacation - Ha its a joke you can't take more than a week, if you do you are on their radar especially in sales.
    7. Managers are immature to the point it feels like high school
    8. No work life balance - Red flag for me as I have a wife, kids and pet to take care, been here for almost a year but already looking for employment. People are dropping like flies.
    9. No job security.

Advice to Management

Improve your management style - more work life balance but don't say you have to earn it because everyone deserves it.

"Cut-Throat Sales Environment"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Rapid7 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great product, security is hot industry, decent pay, great location in downtown Boston, free snacks in office, ability to travel as needed and get outside sales experience

Cons

long hours with minimal flexibility, management has strict guidelines for the sales methodologies you use, cut-throat culture- miss your number for 1-2 months and you're on the verge of being terminated, No 401K matching

Advice to Management

As long as sales reps are hitting their numbers, let them do sales the way they want to. If a sales rep has a few bad months, realize its part of a cycle and give them a chance to redeem themselves.

9. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time

Pros

Smart, innovative and winning management team to learn from.

Cons

Rapid growth requires rapid change - if you are change adverse Rapid7 will be a challenging environment.

"Horrible"

I have been working at Rapid7 (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of autonomy to get on it and do the job.

Cons

Horrible! Whilst you are left alone to get on with the job you will have no support when you ask. Processes are a complete mess and management do nothing to rectify it!

Rapid7 Response

Apr 21, 2017

Thanks for sharing your feedback...though I'll admit it's a total bummer if you are still a current employee and we are reading about your dissatisfaction on Glassdoor. Have you spoken to your... More