Rawlings Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
George Rawlings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Nice coffee shop and Red Pepper in the Cafe (in 10 reviews)

• Come to work, do your job, make decent money (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no flex time when it comes to this job (in 19 reviews)

• No flex time: you can make up 2 hours within the same week (in 14 reviews)

1. "Application Development"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A collaborative work environment where critical thinking and problem-solving is rewarded. Great IT leadership, specifically our VPs.

Cons

Our company growth has resulted in some traffic issues, however, construction is underway to help alleviate.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on employee development and appreciation.

2. "Good work life balance, relatively modern stack."

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, relatively modern stack. Slow steady raises.

Cons

Quality of management can vary team to team. Afraid to take risks. Outdated culture.

"This place is a sad joke. Don't walk... RUN!"

Former Employee - Analyst in La Grange, KY
    Former Employee - Analyst in La Grange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro is the paychecks were deposited on time and I was able to leave the office at 5pm ET. There are legitimately no other benefits to this extremely antiquated place. As another person provided
    in their feedback: it's 2017, not 1987. Your policies and practices are so obsolete you are hurting the company and top talent has no desire to work (or stay) there.

Cons

Where to start? Senior leadership doesn't make any decisions, everything is up to Mr. Rawlings. Sorry sir you are not God and in fact you're pretty old so time to delegate a bit. You CANNOT work remotely and MUST be in the office 8-5 every day with a mandatory 1 hour lunch. No flextime, a very crammed parking lot, and morale overall is just awful. So glad I escaped to a more sane and modern employer.

Advice to Management

None. Management makes no decisions. Everything is up to George Rawlings. Ask him.

"Audit"

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time

Pros

Nice coffee shop and Red Pepper in the Cafe

Cons

Hours 8-5. No other shifts. Too Many Cattle as we are called coming and going at the same time. Nightmare commute. Horrible lines leaving work. 70-100 plus cars just waiting to drive 50 minutes on I-71 to Louisville IF there is not a wreck. (ALL THE TIME)

Advice to Management

Management does not decide, Mr. Rawlings does. Even though he and his wife built the company and it has suceeded and grown for 40 years, your employees want to be able to be like our competitors that we are not allowed to go to now because of the non compete. Stagger the shifts! We are in LAGRANGE not downtown Louisville. Employees do not get home till and start home life till 6:00. This is not a life. Your main competitors do not give their employees golden hundcuffs.

"Production"

Current Employee - Production in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Production in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours, onsite cafe/coffee shop

Cons

Not enough vacation time or sick time

Advice to Management

I love my job, major drawbacks are benefits, and time off. The benefits have too many exclusions, cost too much, and vacation time is subpar to other companies.

6. "It's just okay.."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They actually hire very nice people. Nice cafe and cafeteria. Very nice facility. Solid benefits. Well paying job.

Cons

While they hire nice people, you'll never know them because the place is ran like a prison. Very micromanaged. No flex time - strict is an understatement when it comes to your time there. Go to your cube and work, period. Morale is poor and management is unbelievably depressing to interact with. I've worked here for 4 years and have seen excessive turnover.

Advice to Management

It's 2017, not 1987..

7. "The Rawlings Group"

Current Employee - Product Support in La Grange, KY
    Current Employee - Product Support in La Grange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance
    Decent opportunity to move up

Cons

Not transparent with employees
    Poor mid level management

Advice to Management

More transparency with employees

"Subrogation Analyst"

Current Employee - Subrogation Analyst in Lagrange, KY
    Current Employee - Subrogation Analyst in Lagrange, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work environment. There are lots of great people. You are free to plan your day as you see fit and you are responsible for maintaining your own daily tasks. The company provides paid vacation and earned sick time.

Cons

Long drive to Lagrange. Sometimes work load can become very heavy due to changes in systems software and procedure changes.

Advice to Management

Listen to everyone focus on streamlining process flow.

9. "IT Job Seekers: Only if you are desperate or enjoy presumptuous condescending co-workers with inflated egos"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in La Grange, KY
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in La Grange, KY

I worked at Rawlings Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you land on a good team it may be a be great experience provided you enjoy using proven design principles. If you like cutting and pasting Data and Business layers into every new assembly along with email and error handling utilities you may like the team I was on (yuck).

Cons

The team I was on would copy their data access and business logic into each assembly, as well as email and error handling classes... each team member having a different utilities they copy in to each assembly. The use of NuGets was frowned upon because the manager did not now how to make them. He would invariably miss write job requirements or if you ask 3 people what the a requirement he wrote means you get 3 - 4 answer's.

Managers wastes untold time and effort re-testing the same projects over and over because they ignore other team leads saying "this database is not ready for your project" but the boss tells you to go ahead with your project only to have to redo the project 2 more times because the database keeps changing and the warnings are ignored. You will be ridiculed if you do what a requirement says, but were unable to read the boss's mind and do what he really wanted you to do. If the team doesn't like you (fear you) they will lie to the boss who immediately jumps down your throat with no frame of reference. Sprints are always underestimated

You'll be told to utilize design patterns and design paradigms that are well defined... by the rest of the world, but the boss will have no idea what he's looking at. The boss will say "Why do you have all these interfaces (the boss hated interfaces and considered them to be a major drain on development time with no possible benefit) and what's this Moq nugget in your solution (in a condescending tone)? All the while not having the slightest clue you are doing what he asked you to when he said we should start Test Driven Development on each new assembly. With an ego that is all consuming such that introspection is not possible and therefore unable to realized just how ignorant and foolish SOME managers can be.

Advice to Management

Lose the ego (you obviously don't know nearly as much as you think) and don't assume people are "dumb" because they do not run their mouth about everyone else and do not try and convince you they are the best developers around by running their mouth about how much they know. Look at the work.. if you can grasp it... Embrace centralized logic (programming 101).... focus on getting the job done right the first time even if it goes over the sprint so that it isn't rejected in beta repeatedly tying up QA (who know very little about QA). Take 10 seconds to explain to those on the team who are in a meeting with you who ask what a certain construct is if that meeting is entirely about that construct... Don't be a bully. Don't micromanage. Don't give the wrong information and when your analysis is incorrect turn to your employee and say "your design doesn't work" (yeah because I listened to you....). Appreciate the few (one?) developer that is always working while the others gossip 25% of the time or play with toys that distract everyone else. Or must usually run their mouth about other people. Upper management... re-think the bonus thing for IT managers... you are getting a horrible return on investment when your sole measure is "did they complete the sprint"? only to have the work rejected in beta repeatedly and clogging up the next few sprints... TAKE THE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!!! EMBRASSE REUSABLE CODE AND OBJECT ORIENTED DESIGN GUIDLINES AND DESIGN PATTERNS. Also... lose the ego... had to say it twice. If you stop and listen you may learn something (but you can't pour water into a glass that is full).

10. "Great company don't listen to the negativity"

Current Employee - Auditor in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Auditor in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Rawlings Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and you are able to work independently. The company does a good job at rewarding and recognizing good work.

Cons

No flex time but it's 40 hours. Not required to work crazy hours so that's nice.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.