Raymond James Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Raymond James Financial CEO Paul C. Reilly
Paul C. Reilly

Pros
Cons
  • As with all banking, the work life balance is tough but RJ is much more reasonable than most of its peers (in 11 reviews)

• Long hours and low pay for the experience everyone had (in 18 reviews)

1. "Raymond James, a family of employees."

Current Employee - Technology Support Technician for Equity Trading in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Raymond James Financial (RJF) is a large Company, with a small Company "feel." Each business unit runs independently, and allows individuals to feel like an integral part of the family. Employees are often encouraged to participate in meetings with the CEO (or his representative) to express their concerns and views on both business area policies, as well as Company wide directives. Personnel are encouraged (and often completely funded) to obtain professional development both internally through Corporate training, and externally through institutes of higher learning. RJF values diversity and hosts many cultural events. I have always felt like RJF honestly cares about our personal, as well as professional livelyhood.

Cons

With the economic uncertainty being so prevalent of late, there is an underlying concern by a number of associates that revenue will suffer. Add to this, the already stressful nature of a trading environment, and you can well imaging the amount of tension you may encounter on any given day (or hour). Another burden that I encounter more than I would prefer, is a lack of understanding in regards to our overall department goals and objectives, and the impact company wide. As such, trying to impart the urgency of an issue, when it arises, can be time consuming and frustrating.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate your visions and maintain your enthusiasm as you works towards your goals. Continue to set the example both Company wide, as well as industry wide. Continue with the various community and company sponsored events.

2. "RJA ALL THE WAY!!!"

Former Employee - Summer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Summer in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

RJA is a wonderful place to get your foot in the door. I interned their over the summer and found everybody to be absolutely wonderful. The perks are awesome, and the management really gives you a chance to make an impression. If they like you they will invite you back. Cannot say enough good things about the place.

Cons

Even though I was only an intern, I still thought the hourly rate was low anyhow. But, I suppose you have to pay your dues. I would make the same decision again. Some places dont even pay their interns. I highly recommend RJA.

Advice to Management

Set up a structured intern program for all branches, not just the headquarters.

3. "Solid company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

Great company to work for. Family oriented and work work play culture. Use to play alot more but still pretty fun for a financial firm.

Cons

Promotion policy not the greatest, but fair. I guess. :)

Advice to Management

Have more fun

5. "Assist full service financial advisor"

Current Employee - Intern in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Intern in East Lansing, MI

Pros

The technology, innovation in the financial services industry, and home office capabilities. The ability to leverage their syndicate/investment bank with their advisors brings a great edge to the industry competition.

Cons

Long, strenuous hours. Takes time to build a book of business.

Advice to Management

Excellent management.

6. "Great Place to Develop"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Ash, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Ash, OH

Pros

Good corporate structure, solid year over year returns, Not too big of a company and they offer competitive pay packages.

Cons

Could do a better Job at employee communication, but overall a great company. Nothing truly negative to say about my experience.

7. "This is an excellent company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Senior management is committed to growing the business in a sensible manner, which has resulted in stability while other firms have blown up (Merrill Lynch, Lehman Brothers, and Bear Stearns). The firm values its associates and encourages education and job growth. The firm's culture is very special and the workplace is very positive. The chairman's substantial art collection adorns the halls of the home office, which creates a museum-like environment. There are currently 3300 positions at the home office which allows for job opportunities.

Cons

In order to complete your responsibilities you sometimes have to put in extra hours. Your job satisfaction may be tied to how good your manager is.

Advice to Management

The senior leadership team is probably one of the best in the industry based on the performance of the stock, financial results, and accolades received (SmartMoney, Forbes, Fortune. Wall Street Journal). My only advice is to remain conservative in your policies as you grow the company.

8. "Excellent place to grow with great opportunities to excel."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Pros

Raymond James is strong firm that take a very conservative approach to its business practices and in the deals it participates. The independent braches have lots of flexibility in most of the operations and are relatively autonomous while having a strong corporation to support it.

Cons

Raymond James' conservative policies sometimes get in the way of undertaking trades or investments that are seen as too aggressive.

Advice to Management

Being that I worked in a small office that essentially ran like a hedge fund, I was extremely satisfied with the head of our firm. They offered an environment that was conducive to learning and provided many opportunities for growth.

9. "Best Career Move"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Very understanding of personal events, great additional compensation bonus, profit sharing, 401k, Employee stock purchase, etc., great environment, ample opportunities as long as you put in the necessary work and commitment.

Cons

Too Politically Correct, not impressed with certain recruiters (similar to High School Guidance Councelers), takes too long to build up vacation time

Advice to Management

More vacation

10. "Big firm with a small firm culture."

Current Employee - Fee Based Associate I in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Fee Based Associate I in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Culture, praise, opportunity and friendliness.

Cons

Pay is a little low

11. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Raymond James Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best and brightest people you will ever work with.

Cons

Unrealistic production goals regardless of economic conditions.