Rayonier Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
David Nunes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good company to work for"

Pros

They have good pay, competitive benefits and lots of advancement opportunities. About to start 12 hour shift rotation as well.

Cons

Long hours
    Hot in the summer
    Cold in the winter
    Work seven days at a time
    Have to work weekends and holidays

2. "A Great Place to Start Your Career"

Pros

Great training opportunities, local and national. Really interested in training employees across the US and allowing for lots of travel. Opportunity for growth if willing to relocate to remote locations, let me stress REMOTE. Great at training entry level employees, better than other similar timber companies.

Cons

Remote working locations, corporate culture focused on bottom line above all else, little interest in long term employee development and will make you move to remote places you don't want to be. Pay below industry standards.

3. "Process Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jesup, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jesup, GA

I worked at Rayonier full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rayonier AM is a forward-thinking company which offers its employees many professional development opportunities and diverse career paths. RYAM "plays by the rules" specifically regarding safety and environmental compliance. Employees are encouraged to consider using new technologies and processes to operate more efficiently. Raises are merit-based and, in my experience, very reasonable.

Cons

The company has recently experienced some financial difficulties and has eliminated many positions as a result. Every dollar spent is challenged and carefully scrutinized.

Advice to Management

The company sometimes struggles to keep the best talent on board. More incentives could be offered to the highest achievers.

4. "Long-term employee POV"

Pros

During much of my time I worked in a stable environment. I had great support from my direct leadership and my projects were funded as needed. It was a challenging environment where I was expected to deliver consistent results. And that was something that I welcomed. You were paid well and the benefits were good. I worked with many great employees during my time.

Cons

Starting around 2007 the company changed. Senior management changed out and several former GP employees were brought in. Many felt the organization should run like GP. The problem was that Rayonier wasn't organized like GP & didn't have the resources to do what they did. Instead of honoring long-term values, the company changed. It became a very political organization where results did not matter as much as appearances. In time, several GP employees left & the company had to take drastic steps in splitting up.

Advice to Management

Adhere to the core values that made Rayonier a successful company for more than 70 years. Listen and count on your employees. Do not pay lip service to them.

5. "Good place to work"

Pros

Good Company. Takes good care of the land they own, cares about the health and well being of the forest.

Cons

No loyalty to employees, pile more work on fewer people and raise expectations.

6. "When times are good it's a great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fleming Island, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fleming Island, FL

I worked at Rayonier full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, benefits. Takes care of employees. A good business with a product in demand. Full of long term employees with loyalty to the company.

Cons

Some questionable decisions at the top. Unfortunately these decisions have caused the stock to dump. Spent a ton on new manufacturing line the wrote it off.

Advice to Management

Get closer to customers. Foster innovation. Break the mold that the current many has settled into.

"Engineer"

I worked at Rayonier (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits. Fernandina has a good location for raising a family.

Cons

Upper management seems bent on putting down employees and creating a negative work environment. When business supposedly poor they limit or eliminate annual raises while taking multi million dollar bonuses. When business is good they don't make up for past restrictions and site the competitive market to keep raises and advancement low. Long work hours and weekend call ins are the norm. It's an old place that constantly is breaking down. Benefits have been slowly eroding over the years.

Advice to Management

Give the boots on the ground more financial credit for the hard work they do.

8. "I truly miss my Rayonier family"

Former Employee - Revenue Leader
    Former Employee - Revenue Leader

Pros

During my time at Rayonier the management was truly concerned about the individual employees development and engagement within the company. In any meeting big or small every employee was encouraged to speak up and there were no wrong questions or answers. Before Diversity and Inclusion were big buzz words in business I feel that Rayonier was already living by these standards.

Cons

The base pay was fair but not as high as some others in the same industry/region pay. The terrific environment, bonuses and perks did help to make up for this.

Advice to Management

Continue to ensure all employees feel valued and are engaged in their work.

"Worst experience ever"

Pros

Competitive pay scale. Good benefits. Could be a great job/ company if a few bad apples were culled out.

Cons

Zero work life balance. Leadership is terrible. You will be on the road a lot using your own vehicle. You are looked down upon for wanting to have a life outside of work. Worst company I have ever worked for. No HR department.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the mid level managers with a track record of HR issues. Build a trust based relationship with your employees as no one trust the senior mgmt. team at all. The culture is full of analyst with absolutely no soft skills.

10. "One of the best companies you can work for"

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Jesup, GA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Jesup, GA

Pros

People within each department our tremendously helpful. Pay is above average. There was a real emphasis (in my department) on work/life balance. There was also an emphasis on employee improvement.

Cons

Some people are resistant to change but that's any job.

Advice to Management

Make sure you're taking care of your employees. You have some really great people there, it would be a shame to lose them because they don't feel engaged.