Raytheon BBN Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Ed Campbell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance, decent benefits, although they used to be better (in 14 reviews)

• Work on challenging problems with smart people (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Some rough times integrating with parent company, but they will get through it (in 5 reviews)

• Most will have limited upward mobility (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great experience as a contract employee"

Former Employee - Bilingual Annotator in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Bilingual Annotator in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work; flexible hours; great manager who gave employees the freedom to work independently

Cons

Very low pay (I was a contract employee through Randstad).

Advice to Management

None - I had a great experience with management.

2. "Amazing team, great company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very interesting problems, super friendly approachable colleagues, outdoor cafeteria, beautiful neighborhood to enjoy on a break, parental leave (3 months)

Cons

Clunky internal tools, recent cuts to benefits

"G&A"

Current Employee - G&A in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - G&A in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Really smart, good people and interesting work that matters. Great work life balance, decent benefits, although they used to be better.

Cons

RTN has had a negative impact--more bureaucratic bs than ever before, more process, and rules that slow people down and annoy them, but it's still a way better place to work than most.

Advice to Management

Resist the borg!

4. "A great place to learn, not so great to stay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work on challenging problems with smart people. Collegial and ethical work environment.

Cons

Poor opportunities for advancement. The only way to get respect is to write winning proposals, and the deck is heavily stacked against you because BBN does nothing to discourage two departments bidding the same job.

Advice to Management

Hold managers accountable for managing well, not just winning business.

5. "Staff Scientist"

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Amazing research and projects. Some people are really intelligent. Medium size company. Good to start career with.

Cons

Lot of upper management and mentors leaving.
     Mostly dependant on defense related projects and single client. Things are changing though.

Advice to Management

Be honest to employees and I know it's hard, but try to maintain the top level gurus and scientists .

"a unique environment"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Get to work on a variety of technologies; chances to move between projects and groups to learn about new fields; top-notch people; good work/life balance

Cons

Projects are driven by the needs of the customer (for the most part, the US Department of Defense) so the focus is often quite specific and not as "academic" as other labs; because a lot of the work is for the DoD (and some of it is classified) it can be hard to publish or collaborate with people outside the company due to export restrictions.

Advice to Management

The acquisition of BBN by Raytheon may destroy BBN. The people who came to work at BBN chose to come to BBN instead of a company like Raytheon because they liked the small company, everyone-knows-everyone, low-bureacracy, no-nonsense, get-it-done environment. The more BBN becomes like Raytheon, the less reason there is for anyone to go to BBN; if you want to work for a company like Raytheon, you might as well go work for Raytheon.

7. "raytheon bbn technologies"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

an opportunity to work with some of the best minds

Cons

business can fluctuate a lot based on contractual ups and downs

Advice to Management

be more informative to employees

"Almost a 5-Star Rating"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working at this company for the 6 years I was there. The company culture is an invigorating blend of intelligence and innovation.

Cons

I wouldn't have really had anything to put here, but the layoff process could not make me feel worse about their HR dept. I did not feel like this person was on my side at all, and more like she was working against me.
    This will be my last interaction with this company as I would not work there again for this reason, and it leaves me with a very bad taste in my mouth, and turned my otherwise 5-star review into a 2.

"Not a bad place."

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, flex hours, cheap cafeteria, easy to take time off. Everyone has their own office. It's really relaxing and stress-free to work here.

Cons

Slow work pace. How good of project you have depends on your team. Distant management. Sometimes you feel like you're a bit isolated.

"Dangerous Combination of Arrogance and Ignorance"

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Boston, MA

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An S&P 500 company, with comps and perks. You will retire peacefully when you are 25.

It's also known to be the third campus. Indeed, long long time ago, there was famous luminaries worked in the company before. You can brag about them in parties.

Cons

Several reviewers have mentioned these points before but I don't mind to repeat them because the company has serious issues.

1, If you are not writing contract, your life is similar to peasants in middle age. You worked a lot but your merit is constantly stolen.

2, The review system is still based on stack-ranking. They always try to differentiate the best and the "best"er. The result is there is a constant outflow of good people. The management is very proud to say we always new young people. The truth is many decides to live after a few year or even few months.

3, If you are unlucky, managers are very aggressive to push you and take up merits in the process. There are benefits of going to school but you were constantly discouraged from learning.

4, There is no open-minded feedback system. I remember there was one "feedback session" with the then-CEO, we were asked to speak out questions which were pre-written. There was no conversations. Employees cannot add more in the process.

Lastly, I don't think everyone is evil within the company. But if a company has system which breeds so many issues. It tell you quite a lot about the company.

Advice to Management

Be open-minded to feedback, nurture new people. Care about the process but not the product. May be BBN can be a good company again.