Raytheon BBN Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Raytheon BBN Technologies Reviews

Updated Sep 30, 2019

Found 107 reviews

3.5
Raytheon BBN Technologies CEO Ed Campbell (no image)
Ed Campbell

"Almost a 5-Star Rating"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved working at this company for the 6 years I was there. The company culture is an invigorating blend of intelligence and innovation.

Cons

I wouldn't have really had anything to put here, but the layoff process could not make me feel worse about their HR dept. I did not feel like this person was on my side at all, and more like she was working against me. This will be my last interaction with this company as I would not work there again for this reason, and it leaves me with a very bad taste in my mouth, and turned my otherwise 5-star review into a 2.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2016-05-21
  2. "Good intern experience"

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies part-time

Pros

Great company doing innovating things in my department. My work hours are very flexible and I have even been able to continue working while taking classes in my graduate program.

Cons

I am not sure how much culture the company has, but that might be because I only work there part time. As an intern, I am much younger than almost all of my coworkers.

Advice to Management

I have not dealt with upper management much in my position. From hearing about it from others, there are no issues to mention.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2015-11-10
  3. "Staff Scientist II"

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

Great working environment and really challenging project.

Cons

Upper management is old school and has a particular promotion path that everyone needs to abide to.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2015-10-27

"Not a bad place."

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, flex hours, cheap cafeteria, easy to take time off. Everyone has their own office. It's really relaxing and stress-free to work here.

Cons

Slow work pace. How good of project you have depends on your team. Distant management. Sometimes you feel like you're a bit isolated.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2015-10-08
  5. "Electrical/Computer Engineer internship"

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

Multiple projects, laid back enviroment

Cons

Disconnect between upper management and departments.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2015-09-15
  6. "Great company"

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

Flexible schedule/Good pay/Great co-workers/Good time off and sick time policy/Will pay for education

Cons

Parent company hinders work/Health Benefits OK

Raytheon BBN Technologies2015-09-16
  7. "Business of innovation"

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time

Pros

Always work on something new; lots to learn; well respected in the industry and academia; lot of opportunities for growth

Cons

Academic levels of politics; old fashioned thinking

Raytheon BBN Technologies2015-08-11

"Dangerous Combination of Arrogance and Ignorance"

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Boston, MA

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

An S&P 500 company, with comps and perks. You will retire peacefully when you are 25. It's also known to be the third campus. Indeed, long long time ago, there was famous luminaries worked in the company before. You can brag about them in parties.

Cons

Several reviewers have mentioned these points before but I don't mind to repeat them because the company has serious issues. 1, If you are not writing contract, your life is similar to peasants in middle age. You worked a lot but your merit is constantly stolen. 2, The review system is still based on stack-ranking. They always try to differentiate the best and the "best"er. The result is there is a... constant outflow of good people. The management is very proud to say we always new young people. The truth is many decides to live after a few year or even few months. 3, If you are unlucky, managers are very aggressive to push you and take up merits in the process. There are benefits of going to school but you were constantly discouraged from learning. 4, There is no open-minded feedback system. I remember there was one "feedback session" with the then-CEO, we were asked to speak out questions which were pre-written. There was no conversations. Employees cannot add more in the process. Lastly, I don't think everyone is evil within the company. But if a company has system which breeds so many issues. It tell you quite a lot about the company.

Advice to Management

Be open-minded to feedback, nurture new people. Care about the process but not the product. May be BBN can be a good company again.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2015-08-18

"not what it was"

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time

Pros

Mostly free of discrimination and sexism. If you perform, you will succeed. Not everybody will perform well and that may be where a lot of complaints come from. You get to work on a lot of different things, always something new. Everybody gets his or her own office.

Cons

It seems the heyday of BBN is done. Raytheon has come in and stuck us with process that do not help generate business. In the old days, BBN would eat losses to generate business; now we cut people or change the multiplier at the end of the project, leading to a chain reaction. The business market is tough, but current senior management doesn't appear to have any bright ideas to get us out of it. But the biggest... problem is that A LOT of the talent has left to Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and Apple. The senior scientists and such are still very bright, but without the lower and middle rising stars, we're done as a company. We miss our former CEO Tad Elmer.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2015-07-10
  10. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I actually left here years prior to 2011 but I didn't have that option. Loved the culture, ability to grow and learn, even the Cambridge commute was easy because it wasn't in the heart of Cambridge.

Cons

I can't even recall... overall, I enjoyed it there very much.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2015-06-10