Raytheon BBN Technologies Senior Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor

Raytheon BBN Technologies Senior Scientist Reviews

Updated Dec 22, 2014

Found 6 reviews

3.5
Raytheon BBN Technologies CEO Ed Campbell (no image)
Ed Campbell
  1. "Excellent but the zombies are closing in"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

BBN is company that values engineers first and foremost. Managers are almost always very successful engineers who have moved on to an oversight role but remain engineers at heart.

Cons

Former CEO/President Robert "Tad" Elmer left suddenly, without any explanation but apparently after a run in with the new Raytheon overlords. Raytheon's influence is creeping in slowly and is a total culture clash. The scientific method and the "don't think, follow the process" cultures don't mix.

Advice to Management

Please don't let Raytheon ruin BBN. BBNers by and large love their jobs. Every Raytheon engineer I know is miserable.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2013-02-17

"Use to be great, now in sharp decline"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good compensation relative to similar positions at other companies. Multiple bonus plans. Flexible hours. Everyone gets their own office. Work is very interesting.

Cons

Benefits are in sharp decline since Raytheon has started asserting dominance. Persistent fear of being laid off because of lack of work. No plan, strategy, or vision to grow business beyond government based contract R&D to offset losses resulting from DoD budget cuts and sequestration.

Advice to Management

The business model of depending on a limitless stream of money from the government for R&D doesn't work anymore. Find a new business before Raytheon dismantles the company.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2014-12-22

"A great company chugging through a tough environment"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist

Pros

I've worked here for over 15 years. When I got my degree, I always thought the best lifestyle would be to jump jobs every 5 years or so, to keep from getting bored or typecast. At BBN I found a way to do that without leaving the company. By that I mean than BBN has such a wide range of research and development going on at any time its easy to shift into a different group and start essentially a new job. Start at... underwater acoustics, move to E&M propogation, DCL across several media, over to seismic effects. All fun and cutting edge, but different enough to provide the opportunity to keep learning. The people tend to be the best I've seen in industry. While there are good people in any organization, the concentration at BBN is very high.

Cons

We can feel the impact of being bought by raytheon. So far our HR and management have kept our spirit and culture intact, but there is apprehension over how long that will be the case. Many BBNers are ex-raytheon, and came to BBN to escape.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work of protecting BBN from our new host company, while teaching them how to partner with us to make both sides happy.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2013-11-10
  4. "Great place for an all-rounded research career, *as long as you can keep yourself funded*"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work with some of the smartest people in my field. Roughly 70% or more of BBN's technical personnel have a Masters degree and above, and 25% of the technical personnel have PhDs. I love the collaborative work culture, and the team spirit. At BBN, you get to work / do research on what you like to work on, as long as, either you can bring in funds for the work you want to do, or find someone else in BBN who has the... money to do what you want to do, and is willing to take you on. BBN's profit-share bonus policy on getting in new contracts is a good incentive.

Cons

The pressure of bringing in funds can at times get nerve racking, particularly if you are Scientist grade or above. BBN doesn't qualify for the (relatively easier) SBIR funds because BBN is too big to apply for those. BBN is not as big as defense contractors like Northrop, Lockheed or Raytheon (who now owns BBN by the way), to get big sole-source contracts from to keep a big team billable for years with a few... capture-managers ensuring that the funds keep coming in. At BBN, each Scientist (or Senior Scientist, and above) is the person who is making the sales pitch to the customer (usually DARPA, and other similar agencies), AND is also the one doing the technical work. The average size of contracts are only slightly bigger than typical academic / university research grants. Because of that reason, and since BBN is supported completely on soft money, one has to constantly keep on the lookout for funds to keep the business afloat. Since the time of the Govt. sequestration and budget cuts, things have been particularly hard. One VERY annoying factor in recent years has been the constant interference of Raytheon Company into BBN's culture, and way of life and doing business; starting from using their ridiculously inefficient travel-system, the hundred different online trainings one has to take every year, international travel policies, the six-sigma certification requirement (which I have gained nothing perceivable from), to having to use three different passwords and keyfobs to log on your online account in order to check what course you still need to finish. Its ridiculous. I miss the pre-2009 BBN.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2013-10-10

"Run, and don't look back!!!"

Senior Scientist

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

* Great facility * Smart people * Benefits on par with industry * Salary on par with industry

Cons

* Deceitful managers. * Too much company politics. * Archaic point of view of doing business. * Favoritism and cronyism * Not suitable for young and energetic people. Very little mentoring. * No upward mobility. * Not very innovative. * Responsible for your own billability. * Will discreetly layoff employees without warning if your billablity falls beneath a certain threshold.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2011-11-17

"Smart people should not work at BBN"

Senior Scientist

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

Flexible work hours and part time hours are family friendly.

Cons

The senior management is horrible and the line managers are worse. BBN hires smart people, uses them without letting them grow, and then callously discards them when they become too expensive or their skills do not perfectly match the current suite of projects. It will be even worse after the Raytheon merger. There are many good places for competent, well trained people to work in Cambridge. BBN is not one of... them.

Advice to Management

BBN managers are among the worst in the industry. Only the US government could keep a company this bad in business.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2009-10-15