Raytheon BBN Technologies Staff Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Raytheon BBN Technologies Staff Scientist Reviews

Updated 27 Oct 2016

3.1
Raytheon BBN Technologies CEO Ed Campbell (no image)
Ed Campbell
  1. "Great place to work, stands as a shining example of what is possible."

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart People Great Benefits Academic Environment Work/Life Balance Extream Work Flexibility (Work when/where you want) Individual Offices Encouraged to Pursue Business Development and develop technical skills Upfront Tuition payment with no annual $ limit Legendary Technology Organization

Cons

No equity limits bonus potential Lower pay than many of the top tech firms Larger Raytheon Policies could eventually interfere with culture and business

Advice to Management

Keep fighting off larger Raytheon policies that don't make sense for BBN. Keep an eye on salaries at top tech firms, if disparities continue to grow at current rate BBN may lose top talent.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2013-03-29
  2. "Staff Scientist"

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

Amazing research and projects. Some people are really intelligent. Medium size company. Good to start career with.

Cons

Lot of upper management and mentors leaving. Mostly dependant on defense related projects and single client. Things are changing though.

Advice to Management

Be honest to employees and I know it's hard, but try to maintain the top level gurus and scientists .

Raytheon BBN Technologies2016-10-28
  3. "raytheon bbn technologies"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

an opportunity to work with some of the best minds

Cons

business can fluctuate a lot based on contractual ups and downs

Advice to Management

be more informative to employees

Raytheon BBN Technologies2016-06-20

"Dangerous Combination of Arrogance and Ignorance"

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Boston, MA

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

An S&P 500 company, with comps and perks. You will retire peacefully when you are 25. It's also known to be the third campus. Indeed, long long time ago, there was famous luminaries worked in the company before. You can brag about them in parties.

Cons

Several reviewers have mentioned these points before but I don't mind to repeat them because the company has serious issues. 1, If you are not writing contract, your life is similar to peasants in middle age. You worked a lot but your merit is constantly stolen. 2, The review system is still based on stack-ranking. They always try to differentiate the best and the "best"er. The result is there is a... constant outflow of good people. The management is very proud to say we always new young people. The truth is many decides to live after a few year or even few months. 3, If you are unlucky, managers are very aggressive to push you and take up merits in the process. There are benefits of going to school but you were constantly discouraged from learning. 4, There is no open-minded feedback system. I remember there was one "feedback session" with the then-CEO, we were asked to speak out questions which were pre-written. There was no conversations. Employees cannot add more in the process. Lastly, I don't think everyone is evil within the company. But if a company has system which breeds so many issues. It tell you quite a lot about the company.

Advice to Management

Be open-minded to feedback, nurture new people. Care about the process but not the product. May be BBN can be a good company again.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2015-08-18
  5. "Cushy place to in which to work, grow old, and retire..."

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

The work can be relatively interesting and you are given the ability to publish, attend conferences, etc., at least once you get on a project that allows it and a PI that will let you. Also, the benefits and work flexibility are impressive. For people looking to settle into a "job," this is a good option.

Cons

Established lines of work mean that working in new and different areas is difficult, if not impossible. Go work elsewhere if you don't fit nicely into one of BBN's divisions. Also, Raython is slowly starting to exert influence on BBN. First: stringent IT guidelines. Next? Who knows!

Advice to Management

Stop depending on huge DARPA contracts for so much of your revenue!

Raytheon BBN Technologies2010-11-29
  6. "Smart people, Interesting work, Good work/life balance, What's not to like"

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

I really enjoyed working here. Particularly in my department - DSL or IKT. I did a lot of interesting work. The benefits and flexibility to work part time and at times from home made for an excellent work/life balance for someone with many family commitments. The PMs were great they new their stuff and were generous.

Cons

Some of the higher management were prima-donnas. Not all departments had the same level of good management or work/life flexibility as mine.

Advice to Management

I hope being bought by Raytheon does not kill the company culture.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2010-05-13
  7. "BBN Technologies -- A very good place to work and grow (for computer scientists and the like)"

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

It has the best benefits and potential for growth that I have ever seen in any company I have worked for. In particular, for someone interested in doing research and development, it has the potential to allow all employees to do any amount or mixture of both.

Cons

There are few, if any, downsides to working here. I would say that the biggest issue I have with it is contracting nearly exclusively with the military (e.g., DARPA), and not everyone has moral issues with that.

Advice to Management

I would like if they provided more feedback, more often, to me on my performance in the company. I suspect this may be less of an issue the longer I am here.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2008-10-28