Raytheon BBN Technologies "senior management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Raytheon BBN Technologies Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated Sep 30, 2019

3.5
Raytheon BBN Technologies CEO Ed Campbell (no image)
Ed Campbell
Cons

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Average"

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time

Pros

Good environment at remote sites.

Cons

Senior management does not inform everyone of what happens. Does not address real concerns

Raytheon BBN Technologies2017-08-08

"not what it was"

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time

Pros

Mostly free of discrimination and sexism. If you perform, you will succeed. Not everybody will perform well and that may be where a lot of complaints come from. You get to work on a lot of different things, always something new. Everybody gets his or her own office.

Cons

It seems the heyday of BBN is done. Raytheon has come in and stuck us with process that do not help generate business. In the old days, BBN would eat losses to generate business; now we cut people or change the multiplier at the end of the project, leading to a chain reaction. The business market is tough, but current senior management doesn't appear to have any bright ideas to get us out of it. But the biggest... problem is that A LOT of the talent has left to Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and Apple. The senior scientists and such are still very bright, but without the lower and middle rising stars, we're done as a company. We miss our former CEO Tad Elmer.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2015-07-10

"I'm glad I went there earlier, but time to leave"

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

BBN has been a pretty good place for me overall. I learned lots of new hard and soft skills and had lots of fun on new projects. The pay wasn't horrible and there is plenty of parking.

Cons

The line managers are horrible - very cliquish. If you're in clique, you're golden, but when you fall out of favor, expect to get stabbed in the back. Benefits have begun to suck since the acquisition. My coworkers complain that the placement of corporate drones from Raytheon into key senior management positions have killed any kind of innovation in the company, but I contend that BBN senior management was quite... good at screwing up way before Raytheon took over. Work life balance also sucks. We're required to maintain 40 hours per week for government contracting, but everyone with any career ambition works 60+.

Advice to Management

The company is falling apart. Why fight it? Help your employees move on to their next roles. If you're the last one there, don't forget to turn off the lights.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2014-07-29

"Looking for a vibrant, engaging place to work? Look elsewhere."

Current Employee - Scientist II in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are quite good (health insurance, up to 10% 401K matching). There is also a lot of flexibility schedule-wise. Pay is decent.

Cons

People say that BBN is an extension of MIT (because so many MIT grads work there), but nothing could be farther from the truth. There are a few small pockets of very bright people, but on the whole, the people are not very intelligent (but they *think* they're very intelligent---a dangerous combination!) The projects could have interesting research components associated with them, but often they do not because... the timelines are very short and often rushed. One of the senior management officials once told me that, in order to be successful at BBN, you need to possess "functional A.D.D." In other words, you need to be happy with working on something for a little while and then dropping it completely to work on something totally different. In practice, this means that if you like research and/or thinking, this isn't the environment for you. BBN prides itself historically on being an environment that creates one or two first-of-a-kind prototypes, but the general trend is moving in the direction of being more production-capable (to create tens to hundreds of the same system). People blame this on the recent Raytheon acquisition, but as far as I can tell, Raytheon is playing no part in this; it's a combination of the senior management and the direction that DARPA is moving (the latter of which is beyond BBN's control). The quality of managers is absolutely horrendous. First, all line managers are still technical staff and, hence, have a lot of technical work that they themselves are trying to complete. This very frequently means that they don't have the time or desire to actually manage when difficult situations arise. In particular, both managers and HR have *zero* skills when it comes to resolving inter-staff conflict. Poorly behaved staff members continue to behave poorly because no one in a managerial position talks to them to let them know that their behavior is not appropriate. Overall, the environment is very sink-or-swim. If you're not happy with what you're doing, it's 100% up to you to find something that's a better fit for you, and no one is going to help you transition to a more suitable project. Morever, it is *extremely* difficult to switch between departments, so make sure that you really like the department that you're hired into or else. On the whole, there's really not a whole lot that's positive about the environment. The work isn't challenging, there aren't many (any?) support mechanisms to help with career advancement, and the minute your billability drops too low, they're more than willing to lay you off. It's a wonder that the morale isn't actually worse than it is.

Advice to Management

Invest in better (possibly non-technical) line managers. At the very least, reduce the work load of line managers so that they have time to actually deal with their employees appropriately. Also, learn to be more supportive of the individual career goals of the employee, rather than just using talent for your own immediate purposes.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2013-09-17

"Great place for bright, dedicated people who are willing to work hard in order to be well rewarded."

Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

There are no artificial ceilings or limitations here. You can do as much as you're motivated to do. You get rewarded in direct proportion to how much you contribute and how hard you work. And the company takes care of its employees with great benefits and competitive salaries.

Cons

We're a billability-driven company. If you aren't billable, don't expect to get rewarded. Sometimes senior management comes across as out of touch or condescending. You have to work hard here to get rewarded, and that sometimes means putting in long weeks to get things done.

Advice to Management

Invest more in developing the junior staff. Do what you can to maintain morale.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2008-09-03

"Smart people should not work at BBN"

Senior Scientist

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

Flexible work hours and part time hours are family friendly.

Cons

The senior management is horrible and the line managers are worse. BBN hires smart people, uses them without letting them grow, and then callously discards them when they become too expensive or their skills do not perfectly match the current suite of projects. It will be even worse after the Raytheon merger. There are many good places for competent, well trained people to work in Cambridge. BBN is not one of... them.

Advice to Management

BBN managers are among the worst in the industry. Only the US government could keep a company this bad in business.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2009-10-15