Raytheon BBN Technologies "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Raytheon BBN Technologies Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 30, 2019

3.5
Raytheon BBN Technologies CEO Ed Campbell (no image)
Ed Campbell
Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Interesting Work and Good People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time

Pros

* Challenging work on interesting problems. Almost all the work is on government-funded research grants, feels very much like academia but with a salary. * Amazing people. I learn something new every day I come to work and everyone is nice. * Great work/life balance. I can be as flexible with my schedule as I want and no one is expecting me to work more than 40 hours a week. * I used to think I wouldn't... like having the government as a customer, but honestly in this day and age I would rather help the government stop Russian election meddling than help some internet behemoth make more money through better targeted ads.

Cons

* Parent company bureaucracy is Kafkaesque, but thankfully everyone except upper management is largely shielded from it.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2018-12-13
  2. "BBN Technologies"

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, Great people to work with, good work life balance, good culture

Cons

Relies heavily on winning defense contracts.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2017-12-08

"G&A"

Current Employee - G&A in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Really smart, good people and interesting work that matters. Great work life balance, decent benefits, although they used to be better.

Cons

RTN has had a negative impact--more bureaucratic bs than ever before, more process, and rules that slow people down and annoy them, but it's still a way better place to work than most.

Advice to Management

Resist the borg!

Raytheon BBN Technologies2017-03-02

"a unique environment"

Senior Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

Get to work on a variety of technologies; chances to move between projects and groups to learn about new fields; top-notch people; good work/life balance

Cons

Projects are driven by the needs of the customer (for the most part, the US Department of Defense) so the focus is often quite specific and not as "academic" as other labs; because a lot of the work is for the DoD (and some of it is classified) it can be hard to publish or collaborate with people outside the company due to export restrictions.

Advice to Management

The acquisition of BBN by Raytheon may destroy BBN. The people who came to work at BBN chose to come to BBN instead of a company like Raytheon because they liked the small company, everyone-knows-everyone, low-bureacracy, no-nonsense, get-it-done environment. The more BBN becomes like Raytheon, the less reason there is for anyone to go to BBN; if you want to work for a company like Raytheon, you might as well go... work for Raytheon.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2016-07-04
  5. "Very smart people"

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

They attract and hire very good people. They understand the value of work-life balance.

Cons

Some rough times integrating with parent company, but they will get through it.

Advice to Management

Parent company does not fully understand BBN's competitive environment, prefering a one size fits all approach to benefits.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2015-04-02
  6. "Over, all a good company to work for"

I worked at Raytheon BBN Technologies

Pros

work/life balance flexible scheduling learn new technology

Cons

no clear direction from management

Advice to Management

keep your employees informed

Raytheon BBN Technologies2015-01-19
  7. "Pleasant experience"

Current Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, and good work-life balance. People are self-driven and above average smart. Projects are typically short duration: on average 1.5 years per project, and 3-4 team members. So its a dynamic environment with constantly new projects/skills required, and its experimental to the most part.

Cons

The nature of DARPA business is small projects, short time span. This means over time you change a lot of projects, and you don't get to follow through on projects and make an impact- even though the quality of the work is top notch in most cases. Its just the project lifecycle.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2014-09-13
  8. "Great company to start a career"

I have been working at Raytheon BBN Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

People, work/life balance, location, benefits

Cons

Compensation could be higher, management could be better

Raytheon BBN Technologies2014-01-14
  9. "If you have a PhD and are able to perform high quality research US DoD, this is your job"

Current Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Interesting projects in a wide-breadth of topics. Great work-life balance. There is a great opportunity to publish and continue doing research if you can get on the right projects. This company treats its employees really well.

Cons

Raytheon asserts their overlord-ness from time to time. The projects available are dictated by what the upper-level scientists can bring in. Also the company is too focused on work for DARPA.

Advice to Management

Keep doing good work to keep Raytheon away!

Raytheon BBN Technologies2013-06-20
  10. "Great place to work, stands as a shining example of what is possible."

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Smart People Great Benefits Academic Environment Work/Life Balance Extream Work Flexibility (Work when/where you want) Individual Offices Encouraged to Pursue Business Development and develop technical skills Upfront Tuition payment with no annual $ limit Legendary Technology Organization

Cons

No equity limits bonus potential Lower pay than many of the top tech firms Larger Raytheon Policies could eventually interfere with culture and business

Advice to Management

Keep fighting off larger Raytheon policies that don't make sense for BBN. Keep an eye on salaries at top tech firms, if disparities continue to grow at current rate BBN may lose top talent.

Raytheon BBN Technologies2013-03-29