Raytheon Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas A. Kennedy

Pros
Cons
  • No work life balance sometimes during quarter ends (in 72 reviews)

• The upper management is unpredictable and the engineers short sighted (in 68 reviews)

"Great employer"

Current Employee - Manager, Systems Engineering in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Manager, Systems Engineering in Andover, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Raytheon for over 4 years and had a great experience. The company provided many learning and growth opportunities. I was promoted twice during my tenure with the company, and my responsibility increased significantly. I felt like my management supported me and provided me with the career mentorship that I was seeking. I felt empowered and respected during my time there.

Cons

It can be difficult to work at such a large defense contractor company because of all the process and red tape. Things can move slowly, you have to be patient and pick your battles. That being said, if you learn how to work within the system, you can make a significant impact here!

Advice to Management

Not all section managers (middle managers) are clued in with the senior leadership's goals. I met with many senior leaders and executives who supported diversity and employee resource groups. However, often times middle management was against employees putting their own volunteer time towards these efforts and looked down on it. This gap was a huge problem and really needs to be fixed!!

2. "Enjoyable place to work."

Former Employee - Principal Recruiter in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Recruiter in Billerica, MA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Billerica facility was a great bunch of people. Pleasant office and a nice on site cafe.

Cons

The status of being with RayTech.

3. "Business Analyst"

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Billerica, MA
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Raytheon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is the best corporate culture I have ever experienced. Management is caring about you being a success, I was treated the same as any permanent employee.

Cons

None that I could see.

5. "Planner at Raytheon IIS and IDS"

Former Employee - Manager III Tech Planning in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager III Tech Planning in Boston, MA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Raytheon IIS was, for me, a wonderful place to work. The planning director was very competent and pleasant to work for. Everyone was treated fairly and with respect. Raises and reviews were fair. Overall, I have no complaints about IIS. It was a great place to work. Unfortunately, I moved to Raytheon IDS.

Cons

IDS was the total opposite of each of the positive attributes I provided for IIS. However, it is a good place to work if you hate your family. It was my terrible experiences at IDS which drove me to leave the company entirely.

Advice to Management

Value individual contributors more. They are the people that do the work. Middle managers should be empowered to manage. Fear is not a good motivator.

6. "System Engineer Entry Level Interview"

Former Employee - Interviewer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Boston, MA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay good, Awesome company and great Environment

Cons

I don't think I found any

Advice to Management

Keep Up the good work

7. "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Andover, MA

I worked at Raytheon (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive fellow workers.
    Broad portfolio of world-class systems and capabilities.

Cons

Too many meetings.
    Insistence on keeping a job that could have been telework as exclusively located in Massachusetts.

Advice to Management

Reach down a level or two below direct reports to gauge how subordinate managers are treating their own subordinates.

8. "Senior Mechanical Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer I in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer I in Andover, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love the idea of what Raytheon does! Good benefits, flex hours, 9/80 schedule, paid overtime (on top of decent salary). Allowed telecommuting. A perfect place to ride to the retirement (as so many are doing!)

Cons

If you are a mechanical engineer who is motivated by interesting design work, Raytheon is NOT a place for you! "New design projects" are very rare and are not easy to land.

Then, there is raking and promotion "system"... PROCESS rules everything! Talentless "process jockeys" are valued and rewarded far above very good design engineers! That goes back to the fact they do not really need many design engineers.

They hire some of the brightest kids out of engineering schools, who then rarely get to do any design! This is not a good place a for a design minded, young engineers. What you will learn will not easily transferable to other companies. But it would be fine if you want to make a career at Raytheon.

Advice to Management

You are loosing some of your best design talent! They get fed up with not being appreciated and ether move onto non-design roles within Raytheon or leave Raytheon altogether! Ether way, Raytheon looses good designers! When eventually you get a big contract to design something new, you will find yourselves without needed design talent! Find a way to reward your designers!

9. "Editor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity for promotion of ideas

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

Listen to your people

10. "Great company, with a great atmosphere. A lot of friendly and positive people in management and on the union side"

Current Employee - Cell Lead in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Cell Lead in Andover, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a tuition reimbursement program, benefits are solid (9/80 schedule, good personal time off allotment, ability to change positions within the company.

Cons

Big company, so change can be very slow moving. Tensions between engineering, management, production control and the union can be very present at times.

11. "Raytheon offers many different career paths with many options to get where you want to go"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology for a cause that matters. Strong ethics and embraces work life balance. Good learning for new college hires

Cons

Military contracts may become more political as Raytheon continues to grow internationally. Raytheon company is now competing against other nations that subsidize or own their companies

Advice to Management

You are on the right path

Showing 352 of 2,714 reviews