Raytheon Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Boston, MA Area

3.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No work life balance sometimes during quarter ends (in 75 reviews)

• The upper management is unpredictable and the engineers short sighted (in 70 reviews)

"Great employer"

Current Employee - Manager, Systems Engineering in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Manager, Systems Engineering in Andover, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Raytheon for over 4 years and had a great experience. The company provided many learning and growth opportunities. I was promoted twice during my tenure with the company, and my responsibility increased significantly. I felt like my management supported me and provided me with the career mentorship that I was seeking. I felt empowered and respected during my time there.

Cons

It can be difficult to work at such a large defense contractor company because of all the process and red tape. Things can move slowly, you have to be patient and pick your battles. That being said, if you learn how to work within the system, you can make a significant impact here!

Advice to Management

Not all section managers (middle managers) are clued in with the senior leadership's goals. I met with many senior leaders and executives who supported diversity and employee resource groups. However, often times middle management was against employees putting their own volunteer time towards these efforts and looked down on it. This gap was a huge problem and really needs to be fixed!!

2. "Test Engineer 1"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Tewksbury, MA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Tewksbury, MA

I have been working at Raytheon (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting things to work on and learn about for sure.

Cons

Typical big company environment, a lot of politics.

3. "Decent Pay, Decent Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent People, Good Clients, Nice People To Work With

Cons

Weird Smells come out of the microwaves... like someone cooks fish in the microwave for lunch, like every. single. day. :(

Advice to Management

Find the fish-cooker... find him, quarter him, and decapitate him in front of the rest of the employees. This will send a strong message.

4. "Senior Financial Analst"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company, good people, lots of locations and movement

Cons

Not best benefits or great pay

5. "Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Senior Executive Assistant & Manager of Support Staff in Boston, MA

I worked at Raytheon full-time

Pros

Benefits, people, free gym, nice cafeteria

Cons

Support staff/admins are not recognized as "part of the team". Admins make everything run smoothly and work behind the scenes, but are rarely (and I mean almost NEVER) acknowledged, never mind rewarded. Yearly raises are beyond skimpy due to the "quartile" your current salary falls in. The longer you work there, the harder it is to get a decent raise. And admins have little to no opportunity to grow and move into salaried positions. Very disappointing, especially with all of the "people matter" messages that are always being touted. The only people that matter are the management and high ranking officers. To them goes the spoils.

Advice to Management

Actually recognize a well done job. Listen to people that express concerns about favoritism in the workplace. People don't go to Ethics or HR for grievances because they are afraid of retribution. I went to HR I've a very nasty manager who told me I had to "read" her mind. She was continually and openly practicing favoritism, and created divides in her own team. Not healthy, or productive, but fed her ego. Let HR seriously address problem managers like her.

6. "Missile Test and Redesign Techician"

Former Employee - Test Analyst in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Test Analyst in Bedford, MA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Raytheon was outstanding to work for. Management was outstanding. Technicians and engineers were put on projects and were given total free reign to run their own project. salaries were great, opportunities were always put in front of you, and the whole work environment was team oriented and positive.

Cons

I never had any negative experiences with Raytheon

Advice to Management

You couldn't do any better in my opinion

7. "Great Internship Perks, Terrible Work Experience"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Andover, MA

I worked at Raytheon (Less than a year)

Pros

They shipped my car across the country, paid for my flight, and paid for my rental car. Not to mention gave a relocation bonus for housing, that they set up and was subsidized. They could not have made that process any smoother.

At work there were many volunteer opportunities and I got to interact with many people from the local community.

Cons

The work itself was extremely boring. Was essentially given a data input task as an Electrical Engineering intern (!) because I was told that "I was cheap." Supervisor often promised more interesting work without ever following through.

HR was TERRIBLE. Was not told that I had overtaken hours of PTO, since my available hours were prorated (which was not clear), and was forced to pay back Raytheon 4 years later almost $100 for a negative paid time off balance. A little transparance would have been helpful.

Advice to Management

Please be more transparent to interns about the PTO policy so they don't have to end up owing money later. Do a better job setting up interesting work for interns for the amount you invest in them.

8. "Great Mission, Awful Politics"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well run Company with passionate employees doing great work to protect the country. Decent benefits and flexibility. Good pay.

Cons

As with any large Company, plenty of dead wood walking around. Tenure is often valued over performance. Politics at upper levels is untenable.

Advice to Management

Hold leadership behavior accountable to the stated company values.

9. "New Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Tewksbury, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Tewksbury, MA

I have been working at Raytheon (More than a year)

Pros

Old line MA based company.

Cons

Junior managers and project managers recently promoted, have not been fully HR EEOC trained to deal with mature employees.

Advice to Management

Properly HR & EEOC school these wet behind the ears project managers and app managers, before setting them up to deal with mature employees.

10. "Great place to work, very challenging"

Current Contractor - Human Factors Engineer in Billerica, MA
    Current Contractor - Human Factors Engineer in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Raytheon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work, talented workforce. Fairly paid as a contractor but do not know about fulltime remuneration.

Cons

Some uncalled for politics; a few silos that are hard to get through,

Advice to Management

None really. Doing a great job.

Showing 373 of 3,001 reviews