Raytheon Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Raytheon CEO Thomas A. Kennedy
Thomas A. Kennedy
  1. Featured Review

"Great Aerospace and Defense Company"

Former Employee - Chief Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Challenging work and the people are great!

Cons

Decisions and progress can be slow. (common to the industry)

2. "Great company"

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Great 401K and health benefits. Encourages work/life balances. Offer many discounted services.

Cons

At a previous position, senior manager was previously a high ranking military. Strict military rules were forced upon employees.

"Progressive, Yet Still Defense"

Current Employee - Eng Logistics Specialist II in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Large scale company with opportunities continuously posted. The pay if competitive for the industry and the benefits aren’t bad. Interesting work and a good set of team members every now and again. When it comes to engineering, it’s definitely a unique experience due to the type of products being built (military weapons and systems). When it comes to aerospace and defense companies, this would definitely be the most foremost,...

Cons

Raytheon is definitely shedding some poor management practices, and it’s not enjoyable being in the middle of it. Since the 21st century, the company has modernized and become a better workplace, but there are still those screaming program managers, those good ol’ boy tendencies, and ultra conservatives (really just bigots at this point) that have been hanging around since the 20th century - can be difficult to deal with...

Advice to Management

Raytheon doesn’t have to be different from the big tech companies in terms of culture - a collaborative and competitive practices can coexist. We have all the processes and procedures to ensure a welcoming company culture, executing just has to be a priority as well (along with holding all levels of the company accountable to them).

4. "Challenging Work"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Challenging work on projects that you have the satisfaction of knowing contributes to national defense. Get to work on cutting edge problems.

Cons

Employee turnover due to increased use of contractors on projects who do not necessarily feel ownership of their product. Deadlines are hard, which sometimes results in a lot of midnight oil being burned.

Advice to Management

Listen to the technical advice of your engineering staff.

5. "Raytheon is a great place to work - high tech, lots of opportunities, growing quickly"

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Working on important missions for global defense. Cool technologies and an extremely wide variety. Fairly easy to move explore different roles and work on different projects. Decisions are typically made through good engineering judgement and often formal trade studies as opposed to the opinion of some exec. Big company (~65000) with lots of opportunities and growing quickly.

Cons

Big company and it is easy to get lost. Trying to embrace agile but still struggling to let go of waterfall. Many platforms need to stay in service for decades so sometime need to deal with older technology.

Advice to Management

Work with younger engineers to show them we care about their careers. Eliminate penny wise, pound foolish rules, particularly finance and expense related rules - they drive people away. Push harder to move away from waterfall and command and control management styles to agile and empowerment focused servant leadership.

6. "Just your average aerospace company"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer I in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Decent pay, benefits are okay

Cons

Benefits aren't as good as competitors

"Great Benefits very flexible"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

-Great benefits -Great work/life balance (if you self-advocate well) -interesting work (if you self-advocate well)

Cons

-Very bureaucratic (driven by customer requirements and company culture) -Very slow and difficult to get things done -hard to stay technical and progress into leadership

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-I in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working here, they treat you well

Cons

There are some downsides to working here

9. "Maintenance and repair of HVAC as well as low and med temp refrigeration."

Current Employee - HVAC Technician in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

The hours are great, the benefits are fantastic, the flexibility is unmatched in the industry, the pay is very competitive. They also go out of their way to make sure we have the tools we need to perform our job as safely as possible, and we are a part of a team that helps ensure the safety of our country.

Cons

They go out of their way to make sure we work as safely as possible, and sometimes that means getting in the way of getting the work accomplished in a timely manner.

10. "Great entry level experience"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Raytheon full-time

Pros

Supportive Management that provides growth

Cons

demographic of the facility is on the older side but they are trying to modernize the work space

Found 3383 reviews