Raytheon Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas A. Kennedy

2,537 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • long hours; difficult work life balance when strategic initiatives on the line; pay among peers may differ (in 69 reviews)

• The upper management is unpredictable and the engineers short sighted (in 67 reviews)

"Great employer"

Current Employee - Manager, Systems Engineering in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Manager, Systems Engineering in Andover, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Raytheon for over 4 years and had a great experience. The company provided many learning and growth opportunities. I was promoted twice during my tenure with the company, and my responsibility increased significantly. I felt like my management supported me and provided me with the career mentorship that I was seeking. I felt empowered and respected during my time there.

Cons

It can be difficult to work at such a large defense contractor company because of all the process and red tape. Things can move slowly, you have to be patient and pick your battles. That being said, if you learn how to work within the system, you can make a significant impact here!

Advice to Management

Not all section managers (middle managers) are clued in with the senior leadership's goals. I met with many senior leaders and executives who supported diversity and employee resource groups. However, often times middle management was against employees putting their own volunteer time towards these efforts and looked down on it. This gap was a huge problem and really needs to be fixed!!

2. "Great for Stability"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company for long term stability
    Potential for really interesting work
    Reasonable pay

Cons

Bureaucracy
    Leadership/Management who are technically incompetent
    Don't get a good sense of work culture

3. "Good place to work!"

I have been working at Raytheon full-time

Pros

Great work life balance

Cons

Not enough work to go around at times

"Raytheon IDS - Andover Manufacturing Engineer - Good and Bad"

I have been working at Raytheon full-time

Pros

I have been at Raytheon for about two years. Mechanical design engineer, short stint as a process engineer and now manufacturing engineering.

-Flexible schedule, 9/80 schedule allows 9 hours days with every friday off. Depending on the manager they also allow you to flex your time if you happen to be sick or have a matter outside of work and depending on the role you can work remotely.
    -The pay is okay, they give automatic salary grade increase to anybody with a Masters which I believe drives away talent, however, depending on the major Raytheon reimburses Masters degrees.
    -Unlike other govt contractors, depending on the program they offer straight paid OT.
    -Travel can be involved if you want.
    -Can be really busy

Cons

-Can be extremely cliche
    -Your salary and position increase is based on you being judged against the other engineers on your level so pucker up and hope you have a manager that stands up for you.
    -TOO process oriented, which involves a significant amount of time and effort and unnecessary paperwork. Need to increase flexibility.If it wasn't for international business this would be a serious problem winning contracts.
    -I don't like the health care, high deductibles and higher out of pockets limits. Hope you are healthy.
    -Management likes for things to be pretty, instead of functional, there is a balance and they don't have it quite down.
    -Not a whole lot of design,and if there is it is run mostly by standards, processes, guidelines, and more paperwork.
    -Can be slow enough to wonder why you have a job.

Advice to Management

Find an alternative to performance results instead of judging one employee against the other.
    Stop being so process oriented, you cannot apply Six Sigma against everything.
    Stop making things pretty and make them functional.

6. "Procurement Specialist"

Current Employee - Proc Specialist
    Current Employee - Proc Specialist

I have been working at Raytheon (More than 10 years)

Pros

Extensive opportunities for women who are predominant management positions. Tons of on line self training. This is the fifth largest Defense contractor in the world with many locations.

Cons

Did not experience advancement desired. The largest of companies as these tend to pile on the work for the most compentent of workers.

7. "ASDF"

I have been working at Raytheon full-time

Pros

Great senior leadership and evolving culture

Cons

Significant improvements are needed for the selection and ratings of line managers

8. "Great company, benefits, training, coworkers"

I have been working at Raytheon full-time

Pros

Very stable company with tremendous opportunities for motivated individuals.

Cons

Experience is only as good as your boss, and unfortunately there are a good number of terrible ones.

Advice to Management

Aggressively hold mid-level managers to account. Ensure they are capable of being leaders of people, not just numbers and bureaucracy.

9. "Senior Test and Support Team Advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer II in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer II in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

17 Years experience working with Raytheon. Starting as a test engineer and finishing as the lead for the TEST and Support Team Pacific.

Cons

Leadership that didn't always keep subordinates informed of job changes and what changes were coming down the pipeline.

Advice to Management

Always inform your subordinates of any and all changes that might effect them.

10. "Good Place to work"

I worked at Raytheon full-time

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Flexible Schedule, Advancement

Cons

Long Hours and can be stressfull

Advice to Management

Hire more from within and not so much from the outside.

11. "Satisfied 4 Now"

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, responsiveness and involvement of near org chart management are very good. Tuition assistance and other benefits including PTO are as good as any big employer around. There are no dim bulbs on this tree.

Cons

The typical cons of working in a gov contract environment. "Now what boss?"

Advice to Management

Be more demonstrative on the subject of existing employees needing assistance finding positions elsewhere on other programs or different business units.

Showing 2,537 of 2,662 reviews