Raytheon Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas A. Kennedy

2,542 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • long hours; difficult work life balance when strategic initiatives on the line; pay among peers may differ (in 69 reviews)

• The upper management is unpredictable and the engineers short sighted (in 67 reviews)

"Great employer"

Current Employee - Manager, Systems Engineering in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Manager, Systems Engineering in Andover, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Raytheon for over 4 years and had a great experience. The company provided many learning and growth opportunities. I was promoted twice during my tenure with the company, and my responsibility increased significantly. I felt like my management supported me and provided me with the career mentorship that I was seeking. I felt empowered and respected during my time there.

Cons

It can be difficult to work at such a large defense contractor company because of all the process and red tape. Things can move slowly, you have to be patient and pick your battles. That being said, if you learn how to work within the system, you can make a significant impact here!

Advice to Management

Not all section managers (middle managers) are clued in with the senior leadership's goals. I met with many senior leaders and executives who supported diversity and employee resource groups. However, often times middle management was against employees putting their own volunteer time towards these efforts and looked down on it. This gap was a huge problem and really needs to be fixed!!

"good work life balance, but impossible to get ahead"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance, exempt positions often still qualify for overtime pay if you go over 40 hours a week, flexible work hours.

Cons

Profit sharing bonuses are small (almost always ~3% seemingly regardless of actual performance). Same with yearly raises, they barely keep up with inflation. The management structure is complicated so it's unclear how to get ahead, everyone just finger points and says they have no control. Engineering groups are OK, but engineering pretty much runs the show, which leads to some stupidity in other areas (quality, producability, etc).

Advice to Management

Take the time to nominate people for awards, and bring up their names whenever possible. Visibility is everything for career development.

3. "Slow to Change"

Former Employee - Section Head in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Section Head in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salaries are good, small but annual increases; the programs are interesting and the people are smart and generally committed to work hard

Cons

Any significant changes take so along to implement the needs may be different by the time it happens; some of the management team are only there due to seniority and should be moved along

Advice to Management

Be more nimble

5. "Great Company"

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Feeling of mission
    -Good pay
    -I work with great people, but that depends on your team.

Cons

-Can be stressful
    -Large company so things move slow

6. "Good place"

Current Employee - Calibration Service Technician in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Calibration Service Technician in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of overtime currently available, not mandatory. Good coworkers.

Cons

South side of Tucson isn't the best area to hang out, but there are other places to live.

7. "Good place to work!"

I have been working at Raytheon full-time

Pros

Great work life balance

Cons

Not enough work to go around at times

"Raytheon IDS - Andover Manufacturing Engineer - Good and Bad"

I have been working at Raytheon full-time

Pros

I have been at Raytheon for about two years. Mechanical design engineer, short stint as a process engineer and now manufacturing engineering.

-Flexible schedule, 9/80 schedule allows 9 hours days with every friday off. Depending on the manager they also allow you to flex your time if you happen to be sick or have a matter outside of work and depending on the role you can work remotely.
    -The pay is okay, they give automatic salary grade increase to anybody with a Masters which I believe drives away talent, however, depending on the major Raytheon reimburses Masters degrees.
    -Unlike other govt contractors, depending on the program they offer straight paid OT.
    -Travel can be involved if you want.
    -Can be really busy

Cons

-Can be extremely cliche
    -Your salary and position increase is based on you being judged against the other engineers on your level so pucker up and hope you have a manager that stands up for you.
    -TOO process oriented, which involves a significant amount of time and effort and unnecessary paperwork. Need to increase flexibility.If it wasn't for international business this would be a serious problem winning contracts.
    -I don't like the health care, high deductibles and higher out of pockets limits. Hope you are healthy.
    -Management likes for things to be pretty, instead of functional, there is a balance and they don't have it quite down.
    -Not a whole lot of design,and if there is it is run mostly by standards, processes, guidelines, and more paperwork.
    -Can be slow enough to wonder why you have a job.

Advice to Management

Find an alternative to performance results instead of judging one employee against the other.
    Stop being so process oriented, you cannot apply Six Sigma against everything.
    Stop making things pretty and make them functional.

9. "Great for Stability"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company for long term stability
    Potential for really interesting work
    Reasonable pay

Cons

Bureaucracy
    Leadership/Management who are technically incompetent
    Don't get a good sense of work culture

10. "Procurement Specialist"

Current Employee - Proc Specialist
    Current Employee - Proc Specialist

I have been working at Raytheon (More than 10 years)

Pros

Extensive opportunities for women who are predominant management positions. Tons of on line self training. This is the fifth largest Defense contractor in the world with many locations.

Cons

Did not experience advancement desired. The largest of companies as these tend to pile on the work for the most compentent of workers.

11. "ASDF"

I have been working at Raytheon full-time

Pros

Great senior leadership and evolving culture

Cons

Significant improvements are needed for the selection and ratings of line managers

Showing 2,542 of 2,667 reviews