Raytheon Reviews in Tucson, AZ | Glassdoor

Tucson, AZ Area

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No work life balance sometimes during quarter ends (in 75 reviews)

• New ideas are hard to get across to upper management (in 71 reviews)

1. "Senior Technical Planner II"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lot of training opportunities. Wealth of experience. Retirement plan

Cons

HR favors management and doesn't hear employees

Advice to Management

Be responsive to employees

2. "Raytheon is a great company to work for"

Current Intern - Test Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Intern - Test Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great salary, benefits, Flexible hours, and everyone is very friendly

Cons

Requires a security clearance through the DoD which can take a while to get

Advice to Management

None

3. "Growing company"

Current Employee - Production Test Specialist in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Production Test Specialist in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable job, competitive pay rate, and supportive co-workers.

Cons

Cafeteria prices a little high

Advice to Management

Try to retain knowledge from workers who are retiring.

"Great If You Are Non-Male &/or Non-White"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer II in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer II in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent pay.
    - If you like this sort of t thing, 9/80 work schedule (9 days work for 80 hours -
     work 9 hours per day minimum and get every other Friday off).
    - Even new grads get a minimum of 3 weeks (120 hours) of PTO, I believe right away, or after the 1st year of employment.
    - Large company with other Raytheon companies in the family, so there are endless opportunities to move around for different opportunities and even different locations.

Cons

- The first issue is that it is in Tucson. I am an Arizona native, so I am familiar with the whole state, and unfortunately, Tucson stinks. It is run down, dirty, trashy, and just depressing. Don't be fooled by the one or two areas that are nice, which are far from the RMS site, because it is both too far and too expensive, and you still have the rest of Tucson around you.
    - Now, for RMS...they are terrible about trading or teaching new hires about how things are done there. Many I have spoken to have admitted that this is an issue. They throw you into a program and the company without any guidance and you are expected to just figure it out. No support. Many of the people there have NEVER worked anywhere else (many started there before Raytheon bought Hughes) and they have no ability to imagine that there are better, more effective ways to do things.
    - Next, they are hiring so fast that they do not have room for people. I had a "lilypad" assigned to me (not a desk, but a corner near a conference room where a person would normally sit to wait for the conference room to clear out before your meeting). This would not be a big deal if it was ANYWHERE near my coworkers or program. I had a lily pad (remember, not a desk) assigned in a different building across the campus from where I was to work with others. This is not something that a few people experience; it is the norm. Almost all new employees will not have a place to work. It took me a full year to get a desk assigned to me in the same building as my colleagues, but not near them, as they were all clustered together but I was off across the building...but at least I was in the same building with a desk assignment.
    - Affirmative Action is strong with this one. You would expect that at any government contractor, but they are actively looking for ways to promote everyone oth re than white men to leadership positions. They had a meeting in each group to discuss what RMS can do to get more women and People of Color (POC) to apply to and to be given jobs over men and non-POC, defined as non-white. So a Vietnamese person is the same as a Cuban is the same as an African descendant...as long as you are female &/or non-white they are actively looking to move you up. That may be great for you. If you are female or a POC, take advantage of it. It isn't your fault that the door is opened, so go for it. But if this kind of thing bothers you as a principle, then know that it is there. Here is a perfect example of this for you. In my 10 years of being an engineer, I have learned that being a Chief Engineer is a big deal. You have to know your stuff, have lots of experience, and be an expert in your field. Chiefs are often synonymous with being a Fellow. These are technical gurus. I like learning from these Engineers. At RMS, there was a Chief Engineer that I worked directly with that was very young. This Chief was a female POC, and I assumed that she was a super-engineer because she was only about 32. Usually, Chiefs/Fellows have 25-30 years of engineering experience, so meeting someone so young made me think she must be a prodigy. Another engineer started recently that has 10 years experience like myself, and he remembered graduating with her. We were both impressed, until we started working with her. She wasn't any better or worse than anyone else with 10 years experience. Later, we found out the whole story. RMS wants to promote certain individuals over others, so while her pay-grade was th e same as ours, she had the ceremonial title of Chief Engineer with all of the unilateral decision making abilities Chiefs have. She did not have the experience equal to that of a Chief at most any oth we company, and it showed.
    - PTO stinks because you have no guaranteed vacation time. If you get sick, it comes out of the same bucket as your vacation.
    - The general climate of the people I worked with is that work and career is paramount while personal or family life is secondary.
    - Even when the Program Management for the program I worked asked for volunteers to telecommute to free up desk space, not just my "functional" management say no, but almost everyone I knew were told no, no matter what department they worked for. I understand that many of the other Raytheon companies are encouraging telecommuting, but for some reason, RMS is not wanting to accept that paradigm shift.
    - There are many other cons, but I have already written a book here.

Advice to Management

- Train your new people, and Don't let them flounder in the corner by themselves.
    - Don't bring people on and then not give them a respectable place to work. It is deflating to start a job and to immediately be made to feel like an object or a number by being thrown in a corner to be ignored. Show people some dignity.
    - Stop promoting people based on gender or skin color. That is called exclusion, no matter who you marginalize. I know you have to in order to get that extra government money you are offered for doing it, but it is bigoted, even if it is government sponsored.

5. "Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

9/80 Schedule allows for every other Friday off. Clearly defined hierarchical structure and a respect for employees.

Cons

HR controls promotions, and each promotion requires a certain number of years with the company.

6. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Tucson, AZ
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people. Great work environment.

Cons

Not a lot of work to do. Left sitting for hours at times.

Advice to Management

Give interns a program and things to do daily.

7. "Senior Engineering Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, Job Security, Clearlydefined expectations

Cons

Lack of independence
    Lack of promotional opportunities

Advice to Management

Most employees that do well at RMS are those that want a defined process to follow.

8. "Configurable Digital Logic Intern"

Former Intern - VHDL/FPGA in Tucson, AZ
    Former Intern - VHDL/FPGA in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon as an intern

Pros

I felt like part of the team. I was assigned my own tasks that were of the same difficulty level of those starting right out of college. While my assigned tasks were difficult, all of the engineers were willing to help me whenever I had questions. Their matrix company organization makes it really easy to move around to different projects and work on what you are interested. Supervisors have conversations with employees and help guide them toward their goals. Great benefits and PTO for interns. I got to cash out over $600 of PTO pay I didn't use during my internship.

Cons

I was at Missile Systems in Tucson, did not like Tucson at all.

9. "Great team"

Former Employee - Aerospace Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Aerospace Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the people I worked with.
    Great benefits (Retirement, PTO, 9/80 work schedule)

Cons

Low visibility to management (Depending on your position)

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees.

"All-in hiring, non-existent retention efforts"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are good mentors floating around, and if you can find one, it makes working here invaluable. I have gained a lot of competitive work experience thanks to amazing engineers who believed in me and took the time to mentor me. I have several coworkers who feel the same way. (Unfortunately a lot of those good mentors have left the company in the past couple of years.)

Cons

The company is putting extreme effort into hiring, while retention gets blown off.
     Talented engineers who have been at the company for years watch new hires with less experience get hired in at significantly higher salaries and pay grades. A significant portion of our top talent has left for more competitive commercial opportunities, and it just makes the workload more painful for the experienced employees who stay.

There is also some really painful discrimination going on at this company: be very cautious if you are a female. Our HR department is absolutely incompetent.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Fix incompetent HR.

Showing 335 of 3,072 reviews