Razer Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Razer Co-Founder & CEO Min-Liang Tan
Min-Liang Tan

Pros
  • Free lunch and amazing laptop given to us (in 12 reviews)

• Free Food, Free Transportation, (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro management style and higher level management not good in building positive working environment (in 6 reviews)

• Having said that, my work life balance is far better than any other role I've had (in 3 reviews)

1. "It's looking brighter everyday"

I have been working at Razer full-time

Pros

- Great products on all aspects, CES and industry reviews all love the many products Razer produces.
    - Growth on market share is amazing, Razer brand power is surging day by day on global scale.
    - Employee benefit is very competitive: free lunch, happy hours, quarterly team building budget, able to bring pet to work, pet insurance, 401(K), industry competitive PTO time, etc.
    - Great career growth opportunity while the company grows globally.
    - More career managers from Fortune 100 companies are joining the company which creates a very positive working environment.

Cons

- Outdated processes with lots of manual transactions required still involves.
    - Need better cross-functional communication while the company grows too rapidly.
    - Faster change management to deal with fast-paced industry competition.

Advice to Management

Leadership team is doing the right thing to weed out non-performing employees that create negative working environment. More middle management with extensive industry experience are recruited in many functions across the company which stabilizes organizational structure and structures streamlined operations. Keep it up, Razer!

2. "Every family has some minor issues, even the Razer family"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Razer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture in the SF office, who wouldn't have fun working in the gaming scene?

Cons

Large separate offices (SF/LA/Singapore/etc) cause some bureaucratic delays/conflict, teams often end up somewhat isolated.

"Un-american and soul crushing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Razer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Free food that you can bring back home to your starving children
    -75% off scum covered refurbs
    -Professional development from the 90's
    -HR went from coal to gold, which is great because they're so busy

Cons

-All employees of Razer are NOT equals. Management and peers are immature and pressure their and other manager's subordinates to promote themselves and push work onto others
    -Free food is provided but employees use the lunch line to power play others and also initiate conversations others cannot escape from gracefully
    -Management is primitive and childish, basing their work culture off of books published in the industrial age
    -Projects will be redirected into inefficiencies simply to allow managers to put their brand on them
    -The good and non-desperate people always move on within 6 months
    -10-15 Hours of cliche meetings per week that 100% could and should be emails
    -Turnover incredibly high
    -Pay is peanuts and 90% of jobs are threatened with being outsourced for cheap

Advice to Management

The only thing that keeps this green bubble afloat is the high volume of naive and tasteless youths requesting compensation from their detached parents.

"Management 101 is needed"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Razer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-- Staff Engineers great people to work with
    -- Easy location for mass transit

Cons

-- New management is only interested in the people they brought in, treat original employees like unwanted step children
    --Egos abound at the management level and amongst the project managers to the extent it gets in the way of actual progress
    --Lack of effort or desire to determine skill match with employee to make their job enjoyable and allow them to grow in their careers

Advice to Management

Promote your employees not yourself
    Pay attention to how you treat people and maybe there would not be a mass migration out of Razer
    Take a moment to get to know your staff

"The future is bright"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Razer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great team. They are my second family and are always willing to help each other
    - Challenging and stimulating work
    - Pay is good

Cons

- The building layout separates teams so it's not ideal for collaboration sometimes
    - Seems like different offices have different perks (catered lunches), but not a deal breaker

Advice to Management

- More team building exercises to increase morale and communication

"Bi-polar company -- Great immediate team, horrible C-Level management"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Razer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great bunch of highly overworked co-workers around the world.

High upward mobility in Singapore office and nowhere else.

VP of our organization in SF - John Wilson - is among the best boss I've had. He trusts the people in the organization that he built up. He expects and receives our best work because he truly listens to our ideas and disagreements without taking any disagreements as a personal attack.

Our VP gives us a direction to proceed with our work despite the constant changes (many times even conflicting changes) by our CEO and COO.

6 consecutive Best of CES award winning products (all from SF office) despite consistently being understaffed and overworked.

Large amount of technology leading products produced with very little staff (3-4 laptop models/year, connected devices, Android devices all designed and build by a hardware staff of 2 ME's, 2 EE's, 1 Thermal Engineer, 1 Industrial Designer, 1 Systems engineer, 1 Firmware engineer and 1 Program Manager).

Get to top tier Frequent Flyer status with any airline within 1 year!

Only reason I'm still with the company for over 5 years is our VP! Most in our organization are still around because of him!

Cons

C-level management that seems to use the Magic 8 ball.

Direct quote from our CEO - "If you have time for vacation, you have time to do work! You have to give your life and soul to Razer!"

CEO once gave an award to an employee for coming to work during his wedding night and expects the rest of us to have that kind of dedication to Razer!

COO must personally approve all hires at all levels (mostly rejects highly qualified candidates for those positions not in his organization) as he doesn't trust anyone without his micro-management.

CEO must personally approve all design proposals by ID (without any engineering feedback). He must also approve of any changes to his approved design no matter how small, so our ID must meet up with him wherever he is (and he's never in one location more than a couple of days). This slows down projects tremendously as we can't proceed without his blessing (sometimes projects come to a halt as our ID needs to travel to our CEO's location and schedule a meeting to go over each change as it may take over a week to get such a meeting).

Treats the company like a 20 person startup despite having over 500 worldwide employees.

There's reasons for the high turnover!

Advice to Management

Have at the very minimum a 5 year road map!

Lead the industry, not follow! Because ABC company just added a flux capacitor to power their laptop doesn't mean we need to stop everything we're doing when we're a week from PVT and add one in too.

Trust the people you've hired to do their jobs! After all, that's what we're hired to do. Most of us are very senior in our positions and don't need to be micro-managed especially when you don't have a full technical understanding as we do.

Figure out what makes a mid-sized company successful! Razer's not a startup anymore so don't manage like it.

"Just Don't"

I have been working at Razer full-time

Pros

Recognizable name in gaming. People will think it's pretty cool when they see it your resume when you start interviewing.

Cons

Where to begin

- CEO/COO = Steve Jobs wannabes. Just because you yell like Steve Jobs did doesn't make you Steve Jobs and it doesn't make Razer anything close like Apple.
    - You can't fix core company problems by just keep applying new bandaids. Hiring new people every month to replace the droves of people leaving isn't the solution. You're not fixing the real problem which is that leadership (or the facade of) is utter joke.
    - Nightmare working with a "global" team. Want to fix a bug? Have to ask Singapore. Want to push back on creeping feature requests and constant release date changes? Have to ask Singapore. You literally can't open your laptop without getting Singapore's blessing.
    - Turnover is extremely high and only accelerating. Mobile team manager? Left October 2015. VP of software? Left December 2015. Systems team director? Left January 2016. Mobile team has had it the worst. Of the 7 or so developers who were here since the year started, only 2 remain.
    - Terrible attempts to get into new markets by creating rip off products with bare hardware/software specs. Razer is trying to break into new markets outside of its core competencies or keyboards, mice, etc. This is great right? Well it would be if leadership (*gasp* leadership again) understood what exactly that meant. Trying to rip off products that already exist for a fraction of the cost isn't going to work. Arbitrarily setting a deadline without ANY idea of what it takes to make a quality product isn't going to work. Soon, Razer is going to be known for all the terrible attempts at new products instead of being known for stellar keyboards and mice. It's quite sad actually.

Advice to Management

Just resign. For the sake of a good name brand which fans actually like, stop driving the company into the ground.

"Hind Sight is 20/20 or "I wish I hadn't""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Razer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You won't have time to be bored, as a matter of fact you won't have time for anything that isn't Razer related.

Want to get rid of that pesky significant other? Work for Razer ! It will take weeks for you to realize they've left you.

Enjoy confrontation and having to justify every decision you make ? This is the spot for you.

Cons

Management, management, management.....

Expect to be like a mushroom - in the dark and fed ....

Unrealistic deadlines to ship sub par products

Need to talk to another dept? Just wait, you will be a participant in a finger pointing fest in the very near future.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better, they are not interchangeable cogs.

Come up with an original idea for a product.

Get real about deadlines and products.

Quit micromanaging people until it makes them crazy.

IPO or not but do not keep waving that in front of people's noses.

"Only for the strong"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Razer (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been here long enough to say that this is one of the most difficult and rewarding jobs I have ever had (and I've worked at some pretty cool places). I work directly on products that people will use in their everyday lives while gaming. It's amazing to see something finally be released and sold. It's also an amazingly difficult and grueling job to give birth to these products (more on that below). The folks we have in the office are all very smart, driven and a lot of fun to be around. That's one of the reasons that keeps me coming back, my coworkers are a great group of folks that I can learn from and laugh with. If you like working with smart, funny people, most of them gamers and all them passionate about delivering awesome products, you will love it here.

The CEO is incredibly driven. He oversees every product we build and sees that every single thing we build is the better than the best. He works relentlessly and expects others to do so as well. The good news is he's definitely a guy who "walks the walk" and doesn't just give a bunch of corporate lip service while he sits back collecting paychecks. You also will have plenty of opportunities to travel to the Singapore office.

Cons

Razer is definitely not a place for the thin-skinned, the care bears or anyone who can't take criticism. Sometimes you have the greatest ideas and sometimes you don't (you most definitely will be told), but the mission remains the same. Build and deliver amazing products. Razer is an international company with the "home" office in Singapore, Taipei, China, Irvine, EU, and San Francisco. Working out of the US, don't be surprised to get meeting invites at 8pm, 9pm or even midnight. Razer is working to reduce these dependencies but we are a growing company and this is a necessary evil. Also, there are different work cultures and needless to say, at times they are incompatible, but everyone tries to find common ground. We are growing very quickly and because of this, there are a lot of opportunities as well as chaos around how to stay focused at this breakneck pace.

Advice to Management

Visit your non-Singapore offices more often, not just when there's a problem.

"Trying hard to improve"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Razer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good products and a loyal fanbase which helps motivate you to try and do your best.
    The quality of the software is improving.

Cons

At times it feels like an older company that does stuff in an old fashioned way. It's true! It's not a startup, it's been around since 2005 and some systems are old. But times are changing and with new hires there are new systems and processes.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging change and looking forward. Break out some more benefits to compete for staff in the San Francisco location.