Razer Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Razer Co-Founder & CEO Min-Liang Tan
Min-Liang Tan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch and amazing laptop given to us (in 18 reviews)

• Free Food, Free Transportation, (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is out of touch, work/life balance is difficult to maintain (in 4 reviews)

• micro management of senior supervisor stifling creativity (in 6 reviews)

1. "Nice, Family Feel"

I have been working at Razer full-time

Pros

Free lunch, gaming allowance, discount on RMA products.

Cons

Management is out of touch, work/life balance is difficult to maintain.

Advice to Management

Get down in the trenches and witness exactly how hard employees work.

"IRVINE OFFICE IS THE WORST! DO NOT WORK HERE! PURE HELL"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Razer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SAME FREE FOOD OVER AND OVER. Same Costco snacks same food choices.

Cons

Trust me, I can go on and on. Just know this, more than HALF of the employees left or were let go in 2017!! That is crazy!! Razer CANNOT keep their employees because everyone hates the company so they quit. The only one's that stay have to stay, they can't get a job elsewhere and others are currently looking for jobs to get out. Others are only there for a paycheck and experience then planning their escape as well.
    -100% turnover in sales.
    -Marketing turnover.
    -Finance turnover

Extreme turnover, even when they bring a new person after one leaves, they realize they made a mistake then they leave in 3 to 6 months!!! that should tell you something. There are a few of us i the pipeline to leave
     as well. Terrible perks and benefits, cheap company pay is LOW.

Advice to Management

First, get all the alcoholics under control at your company. They DRINK on the job more than they work. Also, watch your people THEY ARE STEALING PRODUCTS.

"For Gamers. By Gamers. To Scam Gamers."

I have been working at Razer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a great deal of really awesome people here and some of the things that Razer is coming up with is incredible in terms of advancing tech and gaming. The health benefits are also really great when compared to other companies and it's more relaxed than the corporate world.

Cons

Razer underpays employees (based on my own experience and the experience of coworkers) by a huge margin. From my own experience, they underpay me by at least 50% based on the average of where we live and my position when compared to those around me.

Upper management is out of touch with what the company's slogan really means. Razer is no longer "For Gamers. By Gamers." In fact, the #1 person Razer is looking to screw over are gamers themselves. We pander to gamers and sell them poorly/cheaply made peripherals at a premium price. I know this for a fact because I work with the products almost on a daily basis. We use smoke and mirrors to fake the allusion like Razer products are the best. However, now I come into work and I think about how much of a crappy person that makes me for continuing to help this monster of a company sell to gamers like myself.

Advice to Management

Start valuing your employees more. People are quitting left and right and you've yet to see this as a problem.

Start thinking about the customers again and build quality products.

""Dead to me""

Former Employee - Advanced Product Support in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Advanced Product Support in Irvine, CA

I worked at Razer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely Zero. Do you think there is a silver lining....? No. You're color blind and that's really a grey-scale black hole of empty promises which, in Earnest, amounts to nothing.

Cons

Support is treated like the ginger step child of the internal Razer "team". A term I use very loosely.

Zero room for career advancement. Turnover is so high it is absolutely incredible.

Terrible pay - absolutely terrible cross functional collaboration to the point where it required the establishment secret of conduits for communication between key players on cross functional teams, simply to accomplish baseline job responsibilities. Of perhaps a dozen (or so) people there who aren't completely worthless (in the entire office), half have left and moved on. The support department has been a joke for years. YEARS.

For a fleeting flash in time there looked to be hope, but at the end of the day the c-levels are wholly unconcerned if they ship some trash they know is broken before it arrives in the first customers' hands. They will spin damage control on social media as needed, but they care about one thing: NET PROMOTER SCORE. They don't care if the product that ships from the factory has an astronomically high chance of failing immediately after unboxing -- they care about whether "you" as the customer, are willing to recommend -- to promote -- their terrible brand to your friends and colleagues. Their entire approach to post-launch end user support is an obsolete, outdated, complete joke and is literally being directed by some of the same clowns and goons that tanked HP's consumer products. That should tell you all you need to know if you have absolutely any knowledge of HP's consumer business from the past two decades.

Simple fix that can be pushed via a BIOS download? C-level operations execs think their customer base is literally too unintelligent to perform the download/update -- and instead force customer into RMA with a bare minimum of 5 business days downtime for something that takes literally 30 seconds. They absolutely do not care about the massive inconvenience this causes to the customer -- mostly students and working professionals dependent on their ability for mobile computing.

You may find yourself asking yourself, what will I get out of Razer? You will get hollow, if not completely empty promises while being looking in the eyes, which In Earnest, mean nothing. In Earnest, you would be literally better off throwing your money in a trashcan than buying a Razer laptop and you can, in Earnest, presumably add 10 years to your life while smoking a pack of Marlboro Reds (unfiltered) and eating a pound of bacon every day, simply by never walking into their office door.

Advice to Management

“Let me put it how we gamers put it. How you *should* understand: ****"Git Gud Scrubs"****

The ship is sinking like all the reviews indicate (short of the one or two shill reviews -- and yes, we know who you are, shill).

CEO goes crazy internally when NPS detractors flame him and his company on social media... so how about a former employee? I bet Linus or any other reputable publication which has reviewed the product/support would *LOVE* to chat with me. /r/PCMR AMA maybe? Razer sells cheap Chinese trash; the modern day, technological equivalent of a C-level snake oil salesmen. Lucky for you my time is spent doing better things like watching a solar eclipse without eye protection.

Your former shell of a department has been left in literal shambles shambles and their new management on sudden leave while the most knowledgeable and capable were replaced by bottom feeders.

New management doesn't even know what operating system the product runs on, and can't mentally separate two entirely different industries/technologies/ecosystems/whatever.

APS isn't even a real department. It's just a spiffy way to re-brand the title of veteran CSRs and continue to pay them significantly less than they deserve compared to industry standards and your efforts to re-brand Razer support reps as God-Kings within an industry which you are, at best, bottom middle of the pack. How ironic is it that at a company where being a "gamer" was a literal mandatory requirement much like a 4 year degree is everywhere else, can't even attract true, professional, talent from within the gaming industry to come work for them -- they have to settle on industry newbs in a time the industry is bigger than it has ever been.

@MLT: I was once highly enthusiastic about your product, even putting aside my own cognitive dissonance to evangelize them often. I will now enjoy watching them die a slow death to the superior competition, and continue to feel bad for the some of the product managers that need to "own" these products. I challenge you to man up, personally, and own these problems as your own. Fix them or do us all a favor already or take the rest of your company operations to Asia where you clearly want them anyway. Bring your COO out of the stone age. Spend some time at your US locations and stop using surrogates of surrogates who consistently mislead you and leadership -- and more importantly your consumers. Your brand is dead to me, and I will personally see that I dissuade anyone and everyone I can from ever owning anything branded by Razer. Get all your stuff, put it in a box -- all of it -- all your stuff... and get it together already.

You're welcome for the management consultation. Consider it pro-bono.”

"Great People. Disconnect with upper management."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Razer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location in SOMA. Great work environment and very friendly coworkers and local management.

Cons

There seems to be a disconnect between upper-management and the local teams around the world. The CEO and upper-management are located in Singapore. There also seemed to be a cultural rift. Upper-management did not seem to understand the business culture of San Francisco, and often imposed requirements that are not standard to software development in California, such as limited flexibility and schedule. Upper-management also seemed very closed to the ideas of local management. It was as if they were running their own show from a bubble in Singapore, and didn't care about the different needs or opinions of employees around the world. At least that is the impression and feeling around the office in San Francisco

Advice to Management

To upper-management: Don't exert too much control over local teams. Your local managers are competent and understand the needs of their employees. Let them do their jobs.

"Get out now, before the ship sinks!"

I worked at Razer full-time

Pros

Razer is a well known name and is able to attract some top talent, that is before they learn the truth about Razer and plan to jump ship. Employees that are trapped at Razer have created strong bonds and commensurate together. Because of this, a lot of strong friendships have developed at Razer.

Cons

Senior management has no business sense and makes short term decisions rather than thinking about long term objectives. The company focuses on saving pennies, while the hundred dollar bills fly out the back door. Mangers are forced to save a dollar, at the expense of productivity.

There is no structure at Razer and no guidelines. Employees do not know what is expected of them, so they play games all day. The managers in charge have no idea about compliance, but no one cares to fix the issues. If a manager actually does try to fix a problem, senior management does not listen to reason and stops any progress.

The HR team is a train-wreck. No one wants to be at the office, so they are never around. If you do find someone from HR, good luck getting correct information or getting someone to take action.

If you want to be treated with respect and have your ideas heard, Razer is not the place for you. If you enjoy chaos and constant battering and threatening, then apply for a job. You could be the next unwanted employee at Razer.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. You need your employees to succeed, so do not treat them like they are all replaceable. Do the right thing by your employees. Treat your employees with respect and listen to their ideas..Do not anger employees. It is bad business and leads to future problems.

7. "It's looking brighter everyday"

I have been working at Razer full-time

Pros

- Great products on all aspects, CES and industry reviews all love the many products Razer produces.
    - Growth on market share is amazing, Razer brand power is surging day by day on global scale.
    - Employee benefit is very competitive: free lunch, happy hours, quarterly team building budget, able to bring pet to work, pet insurance, 401(K), industry competitive PTO time, etc.
    - Great career growth opportunity while the company grows globally.
    - More career managers from Fortune 100 companies are joining the company which creates a very positive working environment.

Cons

- Outdated processes with lots of manual transactions required still involves.
    - Need better cross-functional communication while the company grows too rapidly.
    - Faster change management to deal with fast-paced industry competition.

Advice to Management

Leadership team is doing the right thing to weed out non-performing employees that create negative working environment. More middle management with extensive industry experience are recruited in many functions across the company which stabilizes organizational structure and structures streamlined operations. Keep it up, Razer!

"Every family has some minor issues, even the Razer family"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Razer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture in the SF office, who wouldn't have fun working in the gaming scene?

Cons

Large separate offices (SF/LA/Singapore/etc) cause some bureaucratic delays/conflict, teams often end up somewhat isolated.

"Do not beliveve the hype!!! Razer is a Sinking ship and its time to jump."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Razer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The products are cool and flashy, "Over Priced though"
    - Free Lunch
    - the company Logo is so small on the building you can barely see it. "it's cute"
    - Prepare to use only Razer Branded products as you are looked down upon by management if you don't. "customer refunds and returns are 75% off to employees". so you are not really hurt by the inflated prices.
    -Your work laptop is a Razer so that's cool.
    -They rave about benfits, "do you want a cookie?" Just about every company offers benfits!
    -Most of the teams have jumped ship so there are going to be tons of openings :)

Cons

-Management is Horrible, be prepared to be thrown under the bus.
    -CEO is a nut, his steamed Quarterly meetings to the employees are like watching a crazed dictator bring down the fire. "Sell, Sell is all you hear" or "We didn't sell enough!!!".
    -Zero Employee culture, Zero enrichment, no room to grow as you are on your own.
    -Would you like to know about the team members and co-workers?
    It's an all-out war, be prepared to be back stabbed, walked on and your Idea's stolen.
    -Razer's Laptops are great or we just make it seem that way, there are tons of issues that can be easily fixed but, that's not what the company wants to hear. There have been numerous times where an update or bios update would resolve most of our customer's issues. But Razer is so scared of losing face, they will hush hush and replace in an instant only to have the same issue happen again and again.
    -The entire Technical support team in Irvine was replaced with cost efficient and good ole outsourcing. "Hello, India, Philippines" you want in-house American Speaking help well not here.
    -In previous reviews, they say weeding out nonperforming employees, well that's a lie, Razer took a sale's hit and downsized is all...cut costs and this is where the witch hunt began.
    -Razer is a sinking ship, lead by a money hungry CEO that sits on top of his pyramid scheme, that all the managers are banking on.
    -Razer looks good on paper, you will get hurt, you will lose faith be warned. This is not what a company should be ran like.

Advice to Management

Keep it in the states, do not outsource, respect your employees and stop treating them like animals. Managment needs to step up and take the blame and face the CEO when they do not meet goals. Instead the blame game starts.
    Lower the prices of these cheap products.

"Un-american and soul crushing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Razer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Free food that you can bring back home to your starving children
    -75% off scum covered refurbs
    -Professional development from the 90's
    -HR went from coal to gold, which is great because they're so busy

Cons

-All employees of Razer are NOT equals. Management and peers are immature and pressure their and other manager's subordinates to promote themselves and push work onto others
    -Free food is provided but employees use the lunch line to power play others and also initiate conversations others cannot escape from gracefully
    -Management is primitive and childish, basing their work culture off of books published in the industrial age
    -Projects will be redirected into inefficiencies simply to allow managers to put their brand on them
    -The good and non-desperate people always move on within 6 months
    -10-15 Hours of cliche meetings per week that 100% could and should be emails
    -Turnover incredibly high
    -Pay is peanuts and 90% of jobs are threatened with being outsourced for cheap

Advice to Management

The only thing that keeps this green bubble afloat is the high volume of naive and tasteless youths requesting compensation from their detached parents.