RePublic Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 8, 2018

3.4
Jon Rybka

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Constructive Environment with Collaborative Coworkers"

Current Employee - RePublic Schools Member in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - RePublic Schools Member in Nashville, TN

I have been working at RePublic Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

RePublic is a constructive working environment with collaborative coworkers-
    All members are clearly dedicated to doing what it takes to improve education within the network schools and, when applicable, in surrounding schools. Team members are intensely loyal to the cause but also hold other values sacred, like relationship building. Members are given a huge number of opportunities to succeed, in different roles and across disciplinary areas. This speaks to the collaborative aspect of the network.

Cons

There is a lot of feedback, but it is centered (especially recently) on constructing better schools, better teaching environments, and an upward trajectory for all students.
    To speak to cons that have been voiced about the network in the past, there has been a deliberate shift within the past year towards building on concrete, tangible evidence in regards to what is best for students and away from jargon-y educational theories. This is a hugely positive shift.

Advice to Management

Keep using data-driven methods like the ones instituted this year to inform organizational priorities.

"A Great Experience"

Current Employee - History Teacher in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - History Teacher in Nashville, TN

I have been working at RePublic Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-RePublic Schools emphasizes the importance of relationships with students and their families.
    -RePublic helped develop me into a Level 5 (TVAAS) teacher in only two years.
    -RePublic provides excellent coaching and frequent feedback to improve practice through thoughtful collaboration with Assistant Principals.
    -RePublic is extremely committed to the growth of students and teachers, especially through the lens of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
    -RePublic requests and implements teacher feedback regularly - I feel that my ideas are appreciated here.
    -Higher pay scale and opportunities for mobility than typical public schools.

Cons

-RePublic has school systems that are very different from general public schools, so that can be an adjustment. However, with commitment and fidelity to those systems, scholars learn and grow.
    -There are high expectations for teachers, but that's where I thrive. Some people have resigned because they "don't want to work this hard."
    -Previous reviews from former employees had experience under very different organizational leadership and priorities. The model established by current leadership is strong.

Advice to Management

Continue to utilize teacher feedback and increase implementation of student feedback.

"Still glad I work at RePublic!"

I have been working at RePublic Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are here for the right reasons. I've never worked with a group of people so committed to changing the game for students.
    The organization has a powerful commitment to preparing all scholars with 21st-century skills, all scholars are enrolled in Computer Science courses.

Cons

As is true with all educational institutions I've worked with, some people struggled to find the right cadence between work time and other commitments in their lives.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the focus you've given to the organization through our Priorities!

4. "Great things are happening at RePublic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at RePublic Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

RePublic is very mission-driven. I love working for an organization that is focused on serving underserved communities. The people I get to work with every day have definitely become more like family. When you're doing hard, meaningful work, it's nice to get to do it alongside people you like.

Cons

RePublic is still a very young organization and has adjustments to make as the organization grows.

5. "Great organization committed to excellence"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at RePublic Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

quality, commitment, absolutely no red tape

Cons

for some, work life balance is hard, I loved working so it wasn't bad

"Still regret years later"

I worked at RePublic Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other teachers are brilliant, driven people who love kids and want to work hard. I'm still friends with some former employees. It's amazing to see what employees go on to do.

Cons

I could write a thesis about this school and its cons, but my biggest problems were its treatment of students and the emphasis on testing. The discipline system works for some kids, but some kids have trauma and desperately need a better system. Some kids are just constantly punished when they need a guidance counselor, not a discipline system. The emphasis on testing is brutal on the kids and teachers. It makes teaching super boring and stressful, so I can't imagine what it does to the kids. You work really hard for little money. And on top of working really hard and working horrifically long hours, you're told you don't care about kids if your data isn't meeting expectations. I know everyone was miserable, but everyone is so driven and wants to be positive that they force themselves to put on a face. I should have quit the first day of training when I felt really weird about the system, but I didn't. Now I know that I need to listen to my instincts.

"Many Changes Are NEEDED!"

Current Employee - Educator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Educator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at RePublic Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There aren't many that stand out about the organization at this time. Some people are great collaborative partners.

Cons

They are still trying to define who they are after many, many years of existence. They lack people skills that are essential in keeping good people and good leaders. You have to be a certain "type" to be successful here. The jury is still out on the CEO - seems like a good guy but many historical practices are still in place.

Advice to Management

Track retention of POC at staff level, leadership level, etc. Analyze trends. Current school leadership and network leadership has extremely high percent of young, white people.
    Treat people better.

"Teacher"

Current Employee - Teaching in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Teaching in Nashville, TN

I have been working at RePublic Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not sure there are very many pros

Cons

The staff at RePublic Schools Nashville are collectively some of the most unprofessional and rude that I have ever encountered in my 20+year career as an educator.

9. "Decent"

I have been working at RePublic Schools full-time

Pros

Has a good mission and curriculum

Cons

It is a lot of work

"Teacher"

I worked at RePublic Schools full-time

Pros

Like minded people passionate about kids

Cons

Not organized, lack of direction, no work life balance