ReachLocal IMC Reviews | Glassdoor

IMC

ReachLocal CEO Sharon Rowlands
Sharon Rowlands

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Right from celebrating festivals to making sure there is work-life balance this company takes care of every employee (in 38 reviews)

• Open work environment encourages team building (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Responsibility to maintain total book of business (in 18 reviews)

• Senior management were bullies, the only focus was on sales people within the business (in 30 reviews)

1. "I have been representing ReachLocal since 2003 and never regretted the decision to join the company directly in 2010."

Current Employee - IMC | CRC | AE III | DMC in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IMC | CRC | AE III | DMC in New York, NY

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I always have conducted my business as a business development specialist and the tools that ReachLocal provides me with, are the cutting edge of digital marketing. If my clients would feel they don't get what they expected from my activities - they most likely would not retain my services year in and year out. I love the fact that I am the face of the company to them -- and it is only when they are satisfied - that I am as well. If someone looking for a "job" from 9-5 and don't really care what happens any other time -- then they should not join RL - they may be a better fit at the USPS or UPS.

Cons

Certainly there is always room for improvement and my experience in the past 2 years especially, has shown that the company keeps striving for improvements. They admitted errors they made in restructuring and have always taken steps to make things better,..
    In essence - if you want to blame Adobe for failing to be a graphic designer - then one should have been honest from the get-go and not pretend to be one. The same applies here -- if you failed at ReachLocal you most likely will fail in any entrepreneurial function at any other company as well. Look at the ones who are successful - and then you will see the difference. The "con" here is - that you are free to conduct your business as you feel fit -- and if that's M-F from 9-5 -- you will fail.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and continue to seek the input and advice from the core consultants - that have a proven track record - to ensure the company is heading in the right direction.

"Company Imploded"

Former Employee - IMC in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - IMC in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was the only game in town at one time, immediate RSM and SM were smart and cared about the IMCs. Good rapport with co-workers and getting "in" early paid off. Saw many new hires fail to hit their quotas five years in PPC became extremely competitive.

Cons

Company got greedy and spread themselves too thin, product failed to evolve, and compensation changes led to a mass exodus of all the good IMCs. The personal attention that clients once received became a thing of the past. Never received support from Director, who came to our office once or twice per year.

Advice to Management

You should quit too!

ReachLocal Response

Apr 12, 2016 – Director, Talent Acquisition

We are constantly working to provide our employees with the support and resources they need to be successful. Regarding products, our business is dedicated to providing the best products and services... More

"Over Promise and Under Delivered"

Former Employee - IMC in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IMC in New York, NY

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to grow and maintain your own book of business
    Flexible in-office hours if you are a cold calling star and know how to set appointments
    You choose your client base pipeline
    Decent commission *kickers* if you hit management's goals
    Good office culture - happy hours etc

Cons

They tell you you can make a lot of money once you grow your monthly book of business beyond specific targets but, it is incredibly difficult to achieve those goals in the SMB marketplace
    The customers are uneducated and you have to spend an inordinate amount of time teaching them about the value of advertising
    Ad spend is unpredictable - customers who can spend dont spend enough (bc RLOC takes a high percentage of the dollar allocated by the client)
    No transparency of margin
    Not enough support for end to end campaing managment - many different models have been implemented internally to try to solve this with little success
    HIGH turnover rates
    Very low base salary
    Don't value their front line - you're just another IMC that they make a lot of money off of for the majority ofyour time there
    Customers and Prospects are overwhelmed by competitive cold calling or walk-ins
    You have to learn to lie about value of RLOC's solution set if you want to get in the door to see a new prospect

ReachLocal Response

Apr 12, 2016 – Director, Talent Acquisition

At ReachLocal, we work hard to make sure all clients are aware of our business model. We are transparent with our clients by providing reporting that shows information beyond just clicks, but also... More

"Worst company ever"

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get a salary and decent health insurance but don't expect much more

Cons

Lack of direction, downward stock trend, very low employee morale, lack of career growth, horrible market reputation, very low pay compared to other competitors, no regard for employees, no leadership as the majority of the RSM's and Directors are clueless and all they are good for is to intimidate the staff and "force them to cold call", cold calling is still the way they do business! People wake up....Unless you are starving and need a paycheck badly do not come to this company. Do yourself a favor and not only read the reviews (beware because the positive ones are placed by the company) but also reach out to ex-employees on social media and ask them about RL. Numbers do not lie...look at the stock value and also the extremely high employee and client churn.

Advice to Management

It is too late to turn this around and the market knows it. It will take much more than having an "army" of people writing positive reviews which lack any substance. It is hard to create greatness when your employees and clients churn so much.

"Questions to Ask the Hiring Manager"

Current Employee - IMC in New York, NY

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm reading through the Oct. 2014 reviews and I think there’s a big lump of questionably-authored reviews. ReachLocal is a business that specializes in reputation management and they know the power of user-generated content on SEO. Of course they assign internal resources to counter less-than-glowing reviews. Many, but not all, of the glowingly positive reviews are written by recruiters. The recruiting department follows an Agency model – the recruiters are essentially sales people – selling ReachLocal and they need good reviews to help their cause. They're comp'd on hires – not retention – so they have nothing to lose by posting flowery prose. Here's how you can tell they reviews may be bogus.

1. They mention it has a "great culture," but don't actually describe what that culture is. Wearing jeans is not a culture. Having cheap insurance is not a culture. Having ping pong tables and pretending to be Google is not a culture. Professional Development and Career Progression, Self-Reliance or Teamwork, Innovation and Creativity - those are cultural values.

2. Touting the unlimited time-off, but neglecting the details. First, many of the RL employees are hourly and underpaid, which frankly means they can't afford to take time off. Next, everyone is so over-worked that that they feel too guilty to take time off. Finally, and this is where it gets kooky, but RL has a 50% to 100% turn-over rate. If they had an official PTO policy, they'd have to pay-out of the leftover PTO and that gets expensive: 250 Sales employees with a 50% turn-over, averaging $50k per year, given 80 hours pto but only using half, might cost $125k in pays-outs. RL made, IMHO, a strategic decision to call it "unlimited PTO" so when people leave, there's not PTO to pay.

3. They neglect to mention the lack of a 401(k) match. It doesn't exist but it's something that's consistently floated out there as "coming." Don't hold your breath.

They have no tuition reimbursement. No defined PTO, no 401(k) match, no tuition reimbursement sounds to me like an org that doesn't value or invest in its employees. How can an employee invest in the company if the company won’t invest in the employee?

Cons

I love ReachLocal but we’re not doing anyone any favors by masking the warts with hype. It only worsens the turn-over when someone feels like they were misled. Yes, many of the negative reviews are from disgruntled former employees with an ax to grind – but to a large extent, that’s what Glassdoor is for. Do take them with a grain of salt, but when someone lays out seemingly well-grounded, measured claims, it would benefit any prospect to ask questions when interviewing with the Hiring Manager.

1. What is the turn-over rate for your team? What is the turn-over rate for sales reps (in NA Sales)?
    2. What is the client retention rate? What percentage of clients in this Sales office (or NA Sales overall) has been with Reachlocal 6 months? 12 months? Longer?
    3. What happened to the person who had this position before me? And the person before that? How far back can you trace the “family history” of this role? (It may show that the role is a revolving door or that the manager is brand-new.)
    4. Can you define for me the career progression of this role? Given my performance in this anticipated role, what would be the next step? Who has successfully advanced his or her career at ReachLocal from this role? How long did it take? What are they doing now and may I speak with them?
    5. What professional development or on-going training can I expect to support my career growth – either here through Leadership Development, for example, or externally through sponsored workshops?

Advice to Management

Start a real 401(k) match - not this 1% BS that has been rumored. Start an accrual-based PTO policy where the PTO is actually considered part of my comp package. Define a career progression path for the entry- and mid-level positions. People wouldn't be so quick to leave for a lateral move if there was somewhere to go at Reach.

"Spiraling Downward"

Former Employee - IMC

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First year salary was decent. Office culture was really good at first. Company and the Houston office has a lot of potential.

Cons

Salary drops after first year. Commissions dont ramp up as fast as advertised during interview process. Speaking about all sales reps not just myself. If you're buddy with the sales manager you'll get accounts. If not, you're screwed.

Advice to Management

Level the playing field. Be more transparent to clients and employees.

"Not a bad opportunity, but doesn't work for most."

Former Employee - IMC, Internet Marketing Consultant, 'Sales Guy' in Charlotte, NC

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like the ethos that Reachlocal used to have (and still holds onto to some degree). They used to have no vacation policy, they let you 'be your own boss,' and the compensation plan was great if you were able to hit a certain volume. Then they went public and things changed, mostly for the worst. But they have the feel of a young, fun, company, and the product is mostly exciting and cutting edge. Most of the clients get a good result from the product but not all.

Cons

It' tough to sell internet products. The market is flooded and ReachLocal doesn't do a lot to make sales easier. Trying to get a book of business built up can be hard, and if you don't build one quickly then you are subject to being let go. I saw a lot of turnover there. Your accounts that you sell also churn a lot too. Most people get a good result, but since you are selling advertising, they are also quick to cancel. If you are a superstar out of the gates you will love it, but otherwise it will be a challenging road.

Advice to Management

It was always funny to me that a company that sells it's ability to produce leads for them doesn't produce leads for itself! Also the lack of an IT department is almost comical. But a lot is being done correctly, and overall I would say that I enjoyed my time with ReachLocal. I really enjoyed going out to Dallas for training.

"The value and trend of the stock is a perfect mirror of where the company is heading!"

Current Employee - IMC
    Current Employee - IMC

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid a salary (although a very low one compare to what other companies are willing to pay for talent), you get decent health insurance benefits.

Cons

1. Irreversible downward trend in terms of culture, morale and stock value.
    2. Bad reputation of the company in the tech space that see RL as a sell, sell, sell boiler room machine with little or no regard for the well-being of clients and employees.
    3. Having ReachLocal on your resume may actually hurt if you want to get another job in the space.
    4. Hiring and firing machine, no career advancement, no growth and little if any industry relevant training (sometimes people giving the training know less than their audience).
    5. Regional Sales Managers and Area Directors lack any local authority and leadership skills. Many of these people may have been great individual contributors but have no clue about team leadership.
    6. Incredible high level of client and employee churning!

Advice to Management

The first step to improvement is to recognize how bad things are, so instead of having recruiting managers write reviews about the greatness of the company and how undervalued the company, instead ask yourselves the following:

1. Why is it that the stock is plummeting and the company has lost almost 70% of its value since the beginning of the year? Is the market and other competitors also down 70% or is it a ReachLocal characteristic?
    2. What are we doing to promote and retain talent?
    3. What are our employee and client retention rates?
    4. Do we have the right leaders in place? What is the historic turnover per office? Maybe the RSM's and AD's are a big part of the problem!
    5. Why is it that most of the social media profiles of are employees are written in a way that screams "I am looking for a job" or "please hire me"

These are good conversation starters, ultimately you have the power to either pay attention to these or continue to go on in a not so vacuum pretending that everything is right and that employees and clients love the company.

"Take a good rep and run them into the ground"

Former Employee - IMC in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - IMC in Tampa, FL

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits when I was there

Cons

No matching 401K, upper management moved around too much. Best face of the company, one of the original creators left - Nathan. They are desprately trying to keep their brick and mortar locations afloat and all the while increasing the home office outbound calling center so you compete with own company. Changes all the time in compensation. Take really good sellers and run them into the ground, expect them to work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, no real help, managers too busy to go on calls with you or really support you, especially when you are just learning the products. I started out so hopeful and positive and ended up hating every day I worked there because even if I could close a sale, the support just wasn't there to make the platform perform as well as promised. I was miserable and so glad I've moved on.

Advice to Management

Get managers who have been on the street selling. Go on calls with the new folks sometimes. Remember there is a lot of competition out there and it is not an easy gig. Show honest support. Remember your team members make your bonuses.

"This was a great company, what a great ride, till the shareholders took the wheels off."

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are an industry leader and a Premier SMB Google Partner with close to 40,000 advertisers. They offer a good suite of solutions, but so much is dependent on so many variables that don't always lineup to deliver as expected due to a multitude of incompetencies throughout different levels of the organization, there is a strong lack of accountability from from top to bottom, especially amongst department management. Good work-life culture. Good training and resources and tools to use for selling. The company culture was great. Plenty of opportunity to learn and work your hard. They try and stay in front of the best and latest best practices and technology but with such a large client base this has to be done with careful execution.

Cons

Lack of accountability. Burn and churn model benefits no one but that is what a lack of accountability and a desire to be best in class provides. Lots of negative reviews online from past clients and past employees but, I see it as it all depends on the unique experience, service, and the expectations of each the client and employee. Still, the negative reviews do hinder the reputation and sales. Leadership and management has flipped the company and the culture in a bad way at the beginning of 2014. Still recovering from poor executive decisions but with new management at the wheel hopefully things will recover as she seems to have a better idea for running this company than the president who single handedly sunk this company and many employees' incomes while walking away with over $1M. Unfortunately a lot of the same Leadership team is still in place so I can't buy in completely to the new CEO's visions. Lots of hard work that could amount to nothing compensation wise. Very little opportunity for career growth at this time.

Advice to Management

Decrease your margins. Fire middle management in operations departments and get back to being a sales organization instead of a top heavy company that does not understand the business at the customer level. Bring back the internet marketing consultant position and try establishing a company culture that ReachLocal once had. So many poor decisions were made since October 2013 and it has harpooned a great company.