ReachLocal Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ReachLocal CEO Sharon Rowlands
Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • Right from celebrating festivals to making sure there is work-life balance this company takes care of every employee (in 38 reviews)

• Open work environment encourages team building (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Responsibility to maintain total book of business (in 18 reviews)

• They want experienced sales people to sit in the office all day cold calling from the phone book (in 29 reviews)

"Having Fun working @ Reachlocal!!!!"

Current Employee - SEM Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - SEM Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its awesome place to work ..learn and have fun.

1) Lots of sessions to understand the process better
    2) more than 1 fun session in a month
    3) Lots of celebrations

Cons

Can have more industry update session
    Missed on Google sessions/training from past 1 year

Advice to Management

Please arrange for the Google training sessions which are really helpful for us to be up to date

Mar 31, 2017

We’re glad you’ve been learning and having fun at ReachLocal! Thanks for your feedback - that’s helpful to know as we plan training and learning sessions for this year and the future.

2. "Still Love It Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, positive mission of helping local businesses compete and grow, good career opportunities. I have been here over 8 years and it has changed a lot in that time, but I've always loved it and we are in an especially exciting time now. I really love that as large of a company as it is, everyone has a say and can have a lot of impact and influence. Executive leadership is very open and accessible. I've had a couple opportunities to travel and work with teams around the world as well. Hard work pays off here, and you get what you put into it.

Cons

It's a bit of a drive for me, but that has more to do with where I choose to live.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. "Very good"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly team, cutting edge technologies used.

Cons

Its little far for me, but nvm i am enjoying it.

Feb 17, 2017

Thanks for sharing!

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time

Pros

The enthusiasm for the business and passion to help customers is contagious.

Cons

Learning where everything is, but that is improving.

6. "Rehire DMC Sales"

Current Employee - Dmc in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Dmc in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

ReachLocal is the LEADER in digital advertising. Their technology supersedes any other Digital Advertising firm. I kow this has a was a founding IMC at ReachLocal for 8 years, took a year long break, and came back as a rehire. Their products are bar none better than any other products in the market place. With the ReachLocal brand behind you your ability to succeed and build a book of business with monthly revenue is definitely realistic. Great leadership team and culture as well. Very client focused company. A lot of autonomy to be able to prospect and network and be out on face to face sales calls to close business. Great benefits and the company is definitely in an upward cycle.

Cons

A lot of cold calling and prospecting. LOTS. You MUST be a hunter. Very little leads are assigned. You need to set 2 appointments daily and run 2 appointments daily. In the market their is A LOT of competition so you really need to have a strong skill and knowledge set to differentiate yourself from the competition. Expect to work 12 hour days to build a solid book of business. Also, expense account is low and capped at $300 when in actuality expenses are triple to be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. More inbound leads to the outside sales people would be beneficial. I do believe leads are better suited for the outside face to face sales team. Higher closing ratios - larger sales and better face to face relationships. 401K match would be great too in addition to being compensated for all business expenses not capped at $300.00

Mar 2, 2017

Thanks for your great review!

"Product Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers care deeply about employees on a personal level. This comes across in training and other social and development activities.

Cons

Discord between the different members of the executive team caused rifts in the ability to innovate and move beyond their agency model.

Advice to Management

Pick a single location for executive leadership and stick with it. Do not allow ongoing fragmentation to exist between the top company leaders.

"Poor management is getting in the way of progress"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

RL has some of the best support staff and quality people who truly care about their jobs and about doing them well (and there are still a few in Management of this type as well). The company's best assets are its employees.

Cons

Lack of appreciation for talented and quality employees has resulted in the loss of many good people. The company has become decadent and needs to find the proper course to give it a much needed shot in the arm to revive it or it will fail. The upbeat and positive attitude that was pervasive a few years ago is all but gone now as Management continues to change the face of the company, however the attempted facelifts have only made it less attractive.

Advice to Management

Management needs to eliminate the CAO position as it's not necessary in a company of RL's size - furthermore, having a consultant (instead of a full-time employee) in the role for more than a year neither bodes well for nor is a good reflection on the company.

"Too Bad - company lost its Product leadership and Executive team is lost..."

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Recently, due to desperation of circumstance, compensation has been above market - Short-lived. Also, mid level folks are committed but inexperienced and don't realize they need to move on (quickly).

Cons

Product, product, product. The product team has consistently under delivered and unimpressed. Unfortunately, it has been over four years of little/no progress. The sales team continues to try and sell ice to Eskimos, but unfortunately the competition has caught up and the optimization/pacing engine is just not what it used to be.

Advice to Management

Sell the firm as quickly as possible while you still have some remaining assets/customer base. And you also really need to remove the senior executive team – they're incapable and frankly, detrimental to the business.

Apr 12, 2016 – Director, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate hearing your point of view. Our business is dedicated to providing the best products and services for our clients while creating a great atmosphere for our employees. One of our newer ... More

"Brilliant whilst it lasted...!"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at ReachLocal (More than 3 years)

Pros

No matter what happend to the company but the passions and determination was there with the culture.

Cons

Opportunity lacked for growing. No investment on employees.

Apr 12, 2016 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.

11. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal (More than a year)

Pros

Time management flexibility
    Knowledge of the industry

Cons

Service infrastructure
    Some changes take awhile to implement

Advice to Management

Build and promote from within. Provide competitive salaries.

Apr 12, 2016 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback!