ReachLocal Reviews in Plano, TX | Glassdoor

3.6
ReachLocal CEO Sharon Rowlands
Sharon Rowlands

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Right from celebrating festivals to making sure there is work-life balance this company takes care of every employee (in 38 reviews)

• Open work environment encourages team building (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Responsibility to maintain total book of business (in 18 reviews)

• Senior management were bullies, the only focus was on sales people within the business (in 30 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The platform has gotten better and we are now seeing more leads come thru than before. I've been here 4 years and the company is growing so fast since the Gannett Merger.

Cons

Not much room to grow

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing! Everyone has been great to work with

2. "Great place to begin a digital marketing career!"

Current Employee - Facebook Marketing Expert in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Facebook Marketing Expert in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Relaxed atmosphere
    - Creative teams & management
    - You manage your clients

Cons

- Slow product movement
    - Some micromanagement
    - Lack of promotion transparency

Advice to Management

Keep your employees happy through a structured promotion understanding. Not through weekly happy hours.

3. "New employee enjoying his time"

Current Employee - Marketing in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far, so good! far better than the competitor I was working for.

Cons

none so far other than having to wait until first full month to have benefits start.

Advice to Management

None so far other than have benefits start day #1

4. "Positive atmosphere and culture in Reachlocal."

Current Intern - Software and Social Ads Support in Plano, TX
    Current Intern - Software and Social Ads Support in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Making you feel welcomed and encouraged is the the sort of culture they have in ReachLocal. I have yet to encounter any work politics and drama since I have started.

Cons

Lower pay rate than anticipated. Depending on the job, workflow will become monotonous after a year or two.

Advice to Management

I enjoy the managers at Reachlocal!

"Its ok"

Former Employee - Marketing Expert in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Expert in Plano, TX

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule is really great

Cons

Little Room For Upward Mobility
    Sales Is Able to Control Everything
    Bonus Structure is confusing and too dependent on the accounts sales brings in

Advice to Management

Move Bonus Structure for ME's to be weighted much less on amount of budget, and more on keeping clients and their overall satisfaction.

Hire more ME's so they actually can have a more manageable book. 100-200 advertisers or campaigns to manage is too much to give anyone the time they're paying for. With 50% margin a customer should get more of our attention than they do.

ME's just have too much put on their plate that goes beyond working on the campaign. The Technology does not adequately bring in leads and a lot of campaigns suffer.

Most SMB's brought on need much more help than a SEM campaign, I'd encourage the company to start a SMB consulting type product to help them improve their business beyond just running Adwords, because most businesses don't have anything unique to market.

May 1, 2017 – Sr.VP, Global Services

Thank you for this feedback. Glad you enjoy the flexible schedule. A majority of our senior leaders have been promoted to their roles from within the company. We are committed to strong career... More

"Not What is Used to Be"

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time

Pros

Employees originally came to work for ReachLocal for the fun atmosphere and laid back environment.

Cons

The fun atmosphere has been replaced with a a much larger workload, strict deadlines, limitless reporting and spreadsheets to manage and update daily. We are constantly being reminded that what we are doing in not enough. It seems that they do not even trust that we are doing our work as everything has to be logged and/or recorded. While trying to juggle over 150 campaigns and updating data on countless outdated platforms, it is impossible to keep your head above water.
    The sales team at ReachLocal runs the show and gets away with running all over the 'Marketing Experts,' and we are treated like their slaves. It is like reporting to 5-7 different managers, daily. We are also treated like hourly employees and not given the recognition or pay that would make all of the forementioned cons even worth it.

Advice to Management

Please stop praising sales and rewarding the same people every year with extravagant trips while neglecting the rest of the company. I can attest that most employees here are hard-workers and is not shown their worth. The tenured and most experienced employees are leaving at a rapid pace like a revolving door and the company does not seem to even realize what they are losing.

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a good work/life balance and lots of activities around the office. Management cares about you and trusts you to get your work done. Overall it's a good place to work.

Cons

There is a bit of a lack of organization when it comes to training. Some of the tools we use are outdated and should be updated.

Jan 30, 2017 – Sr.VP, Global Services

Thank you for this feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy being a part of ReachLocal. We will take a deeper look at your concerns regarding organizing our training activities and tools.

"Mediocre at best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity to get used to running campaigns, build your resume with regard to account management and digital marketing ends. But be very clear about what you're going for: If you're aiming for experience in X but your duties are Y and Z, you're not going to get a whiff of X. But if your aims are getting Google certified, and basic experience, this will do. Just be aware that you should aim to move up or out in 12-18 months. I saw precious few move up within the company.

Cons

I've been gone several months and I've held off writing this review because the cons are so vast. The benefits have dwindled and gotten much more expensive with fewer and poorer options. Look around on reviews for this. This is documented on here. I was there 18 months and the creature comforts rapidly shrank--office space, coffee setup, lunches and little moral stuff companies do was largely done very obviously on the cheap, DIY. Hardly inspiring faith that your company is successful. Especially when the office space shrinks by over 50%. Pay-wise, don't expect raises, and even if you manage to snag a promotion, they've got a rule that you're not getting more than 10%, so be mindful that the sexy new job you might've snagged isn't going to be an income game changer. This may have changed with Gannett's acquisition, but since what I hear is that they parcel you out even more than RL did, I wonder if they didn't keep this little practice.

But the biggest problem by far and away is that they allow the sales field to run rough shod over service. This is up to and including an MC with his own branded site that basically white labels RL. And, to make it more comical, the site is a RL Edge site he's got up there!
    With the exception of a few DMCs, and even fewer IMCs, they will give you and your managers no respect. Why should they? They've been babied and paid phat for years. They're usually not well-versed in the products they sell and only half-educate the clients on what to expect from what they sell. They have no interest in continuing to manage their accounts, mind changes in client needs, continually manage client expectations, etc. When you put those things in the hands of analysts, rather than sales-minded people, the continual reselling of the product doesn't get done. It's not rocket science. But the organization refuses to hold them accountable to even having civil emails and phone calls. Instead, they will second and third guess you to the point that most of your time will be spent defending your actions and taking screenshots of all your activities and communications--which they have access to in Salesforce and because they're cc'd on everything--instead of managing the actual campaigns. Most my last months were spent writing these emails to MCs explaining and demonstrating why they were categorically wrong and then having to turn them over to my boss to tone down because we had to continue to be polite to sales people who treated us like garbage. This sorta thing happens nationwide, but those of your RL alums reading this know that I'm taking mainly about the Baltimore and Philadelphia sales office and a few other frequent flyers who cause enormous problems to the point of disrupting the service delivered to other MCs' clients.

Finally, the company by trying to have done everything so cheaply for so long is tremendously inefficient. Tools are outdated. Oftentimes, I found myself using freeware or buying my own subscriptions to things because the company just wouldn't. On a related note, I once heard a manager say that they didn't want to switch from a notoriously bad and problematic social media platform to an industry leading one because "I don't want to have to change." That sorta attitude in management is why I left.

Not all are bad. My direct manager was great. But, the whole of the body had too much of this cancer.

Advice to Management

Not sure what they can do. The big problems would've already been addressed if they had the means and cajones to do it--e.g., holding sales guys accountable for doing things according to RL policy rather than the individual sales person's whims and preferences. The latter makes the company slaves to its own employees. The clients should be RL clients. Not clients of the salesperson. I mean, getting a publicly traded company to a place where it was acquired is viewed as a success. That's pretty much admitting defeat.

"Best Digital Marketing Agency in Dallas"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Plano office is a great place to work. Open work environment encourages team building. Strong work/life balance. You own you work relationships and the more you put into them, the more ReachLocal rewards you. Large global organization with lot's of opportunities in the digital marketing field.

Cons

If you are not passionate about digital marketing, you could get burned out quickly here.

Advice to Management

Improve training opportunities beyond online courses and emails. This will continue to keep ReachLocal best in class.

Jan 17, 2017 – Sr.VP, Global Services

We really appreciate your feedback. Glad you are enjoying working here. We are planning to do more in person training activities in 2017.

10. "National"

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time

Pros

Client focused, strong culture working with some amazing people, very flexible working schedule, family friendly, creative thinking encouraged

Cons

Not enough support, slow product road map, lack of communication internally, minimal coaching for advancement, unclear career advancement

Advice to Management

When employees feel valued they work harder. It is easier to make your currently employees feel valued then it is to replace them.