ReachLocal Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
ReachLocal CEO Sharon Rowlands
Sharon Rowlands

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The organisation has helped me achieved the right work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Open work environment encourages team building (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Responsibility to maintain total book of business (in 18 reviews)

• Senior management were bullies, the only focus was on sales people within the business (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Utterly Awesome!"

Current Employee - Marketing Expert in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Marketing Expert in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything from environment, co-workers, company culture, and extremely supportive management!

Cons

Absolutely 0, nothing to complain about what so ever.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome!

May 1, 2017 – Sr.VP, Global Services

We are so glad you enjoy working with the team here at ReachLocal

2. "National Account Manager"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people to work with
    - Industry leading products to help clients
    - Career coaching and growth

Cons

- The office can get loud

Oct 23, 2017

Thank you for your review! We're happy to hear you enjoy your coworkers and the career opportunities available.

3. "Great Place to Work"

I worked at ReachLocal full-time

Pros

Great Place to work, good opportunities

Cons

Managers sometime play favorites and funnel leads to specific reps

4. "Internet Marketing Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great income and growth opportunities

Cons

It was private so the investment in future products and technology was a bit slow but now that Gannett bought them there is great investment into the future.

5. "Great place to Work"

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time

Pros

It's been few months now that I joined ReachLocal , and the work culture here is awesome . I am learning new things from this place and hoping for a growth in the coming years.

Cons

As per reviews i saw the growth in the company for any analyst is less , it takes lot of time to roll out any IJP which I feel needs a lot of improvement.

Advice to Management

More of growth opportunity, Improvement in Salary, And more of Creativity in work.

"It is Amazing They have Made It this Far - Assembly-Line Marketing/No Upward Mobility"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since Gannett bought them, they will probably remain afloat for some time.

Cons

No upward mobility. They do not promote people from within.
    Huge workloads. Expect a mass exodus.
    Misleading and false promises from the company and management.
    No company culture.
    Low compensation.
    Not much paid time off.
    They fire everyone who puts in a two-week notification.

Advice to Management

Manage. Your not salesmen trying to trick your employees into staying with delusions of grandeur, false promises and excited-yet-trite corporate speeches.

Jan 19, 2018

We're sorry to hear you felt this way during your time at ReachLocal. We pride ourselves on our excellent work culture championed through our company-wide Fun Committee that organizes events for us... More

"It was okay"

Former Employee - Director in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, casual dress code, unlimited vacation, reasonable control to manage my department and implement change

Cons

Lack of support from management, felt ignored, eight bosses in five years, no guidance on expectations. The only "feedback" was from negative treatment. I made considerable improvements to my area which was appreciated when founders we there but the upkeep efforts were forgotten and unrewarded. Each new boss was like starting a brand new job so I was constantly required to prove my worth. I left for these reasons.

Advice to Management

Don't under value your employees and show appreciation especially those in key roles outside of sales. I managed a Dept that required many hours of overtime and working on holidays when everyone else was home with their families. There was no acknowledgement of the hard work and sacrifices we made. Promotions and raises are great but even a simple "Thank You" goes a long way.

8. "Good to start off your career but not a place to stay"

I worked at ReachLocal full-time

Pros

They hire college grads so it's a great place to start off and learn marketing skills.

Cons

Don't expect to move up or learn a whole lot in just one position.

Advice to Management

Have a rotational system where employees, especially younger college grads, have a path to try out different roles and see themselves moving upward. I felt stuck in my position, which is why I left.

"Not Good"

Former Employee - IMC in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IMC in Chicago, IL

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned about SEM and SEO

Cons

Lack of direction
    Poor compensation
    No support

"Great Company- Leadership That Cares!!"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned more about internet marketing in the two years I worked here, than in any of the prior years combined. This company is extremely talented in recruiting and internally promoting leadership that is not only knowledgeable, but cares very much for the overall success of the team and company, but even more so each individual that makes the team whole. They BLEED ORANGE (all of us who love RL do), and they can't hide their passion for the solutions we carry, training their team members and helping SMB's reach their goal of increasing their customer base and overall revenue. ReachLocal is not just a company, it's a world wide culture that welcomes you like a long lost brother or sister that really wants you to thrive in this life. I didn't realize how mentally drilled and abused I was working for other companies. I had been yelled at, cursed at by management, and even had to sign a document stating I wasn't hurt and wouldn't sue the company for having an entire phone system thrown at my head by an extremely overpressured sales rep. I was only taught to fend for myself like a dog who had been raised by dog fighters. Then ReachLocal hired me, and I realized how working for a company that really cares, is supposed to be. You can come into work and enjoy being around your coworkers because they want you to be successful just as much as they do. You can ask your manager anything, professional and personal, and they will mentor and guide you as if your problems and questions were your own. If you have a hunger, positive attitude, willingness to listen and follow the process, and most importantly... genuinely put the client first - you can go far financially with this company. One month I netted over $10K with the help of my manager, and many or my months were about half of this (which wasn't bad for a 24 year old with no prior industry experience). Many of my peers made much more, I simply needed the experience. With the help if my managers, I never fell behind the top tiered group. It was sad to see when people left, but you had to really work to see results. RL didn't cookie cut their solutions and always put the customer first... Sometimes our solution didn't fit the business model of the client we were meeting with, so we shook hands and asked for a referral. We wouldn't take money from the hands of clients, leaving only empty promises to come back and bite us in our rear... I saw many people leave because of the frustration of turning down business that simply would not help the business owners enough to justify the cost of quality in our solutions. We were not cheap, but just like gas stations and retail... We did not set the prices of advertising - competition does!! If you want to win an auction.. You have to bid what your competitors bid, or you're just throwing out money!! If you can't tell how genuine and passionate I am about this company, then you must have stopped reading long before I started this mini novel! Conclusion, love for this company + the company's love for the employees and clients = recipe for success!!!!

Cons

Constant changes made it hard to keep track of contract policies (who to send what contract to, saving it where, chain of command is who? The square root of 49 is blue??)

Commission structure got much better, but the first year of my employment wasn't the greatest.

Really, the biggest con of working there... Was being so spoiled and treated so well all of the time, it made a lot of us take for granted the privileges we had, and when we did have occasional issues that were normal for any company to get- they seemed much bigger than they really were. Some people became overly dramatic and left the company, very quickly remembering the comfort of the ReachLocal bubble.

In the end, I think they 86'd 99% of the inside sales division, and if I still lived in Plano, I'd love to work there until I retire!! (Just not in sales anymore....)

Advice to Management

Don't ever lose your culture and keep the ReachLocal family love STRONG!!