ReachLocal Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
ReachLocal CEO Sharon Rowlands
Sharon Rowlands

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Right from celebrating festivals to making sure there is work-life balance this company takes care of every employee (in 39 reviews)

• Open work environment encourages team building (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Responsibility to maintain total book of business (in 18 reviews)

• Senior management were bullies, the only focus was on sales people within the business (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Utterly Awesome!"

Current Employee - Marketing Expert in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Marketing Expert in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything from environment, co-workers, company culture, and extremely supportive management!

Cons

Absolutely 0, nothing to complain about what so ever.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome!

May 1, 2017 – Sr.VP, Global Services

We are so glad you enjoy working with the team here at ReachLocal

2. "National Account Manager"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people to work with
    - Industry leading products to help clients
    - Career coaching and growth

Cons

- The office can get loud

Oct 23, 2017

Thank you for your review! We're happy to hear you enjoy your coworkers and the career opportunities available.

3. "Great Company- Leadership That Cares!!"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Plano, TX

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned more about internet marketing in the two years I worked here, than in any of the prior years combined. This company is extremely talented in recruiting and internally promoting leadership that is not only knowledgeable, but cares very much for the overall success of the team and company, but even more so each individual that makes the team whole. They BLEED ORANGE (all of us who love RL do), and they can't hide their passion for the solutions we carry, training their team members and helping SMB's reach their goal of increasing their customer base and overall revenue. ReachLocal is not just a company, it's a world wide culture that welcomes you like a long lost brother or sister that really wants you to thrive in this life. I didn't realize how mentally drilled and abused I was working for other companies. I had been yelled at, cursed at by management, and even had to sign a document stating I wasn't hurt and wouldn't sue the company for having an entire phone system thrown at my head by an extremely overpressured sales rep. I was only taught to fend for myself like a dog who had been raised by dog fighters. Then ReachLocal hired me, and I realized how working for a company that really cares, is supposed to be. You can come into work and enjoy being around your coworkers because they want you to be successful just as much as they do. You can ask your manager anything, professional and personal, and they will mentor and guide you as if your problems and questions were your own. If you have a hunger, positive attitude, willingness to listen and follow the process, and most importantly... genuinely put the client first - you can go far financially with this company. One month I netted over $10K with the help of my manager, and many or my months were about half of this (which wasn't bad for a 24 year old with no prior industry experience). Many of my peers made much more, I simply needed the experience. With the help if my managers, I never fell behind the top tiered group. It was sad to see when people left, but you had to really work to see results. RL didn't cookie cut their solutions and always put the customer first... Sometimes our solution didn't fit the business model of the client we were meeting with, so we shook hands and asked for a referral. We wouldn't take money from the hands of clients, leaving only empty promises to come back and bite us in our rear... I saw many people leave because of the frustration of turning down business that simply would not help the business owners enough to justify the cost of quality in our solutions. We were not cheap, but just like gas stations and retail... We did not set the prices of advertising - competition does!! If you want to win an auction.. You have to bid what your competitors bid, or you're just throwing out money!! If you can't tell how genuine and passionate I am about this company, then you must have stopped reading long before I started this mini novel! Conclusion, love for this company + the company's love for the employees and clients = recipe for success!!!!

Cons

Constant changes made it hard to keep track of contract policies (who to send what contract to, saving it where, chain of command is who? The square root of 49 is blue??)

Commission structure got much better, but the first year of my employment wasn't the greatest.

Really, the biggest con of working there... Was being so spoiled and treated so well all of the time, it made a lot of us take for granted the privileges we had, and when we did have occasional issues that were normal for any company to get- they seemed much bigger than they really were. Some people became overly dramatic and left the company, very quickly remembering the comfort of the ReachLocal bubble.

In the end, I think they 86'd 99% of the inside sales division, and if I still lived in Plano, I'd love to work there until I retire!! (Just not in sales anymore....)

Advice to Management

Don't ever lose your culture and keep the ReachLocal family love STRONG!!

4. "Client First Mentality"

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time

Pros

Always thinking of ways to better serve the client!
    Innovative!
    Great People & Leaders!
    Truly care about their employees
    Growth Opportunities
    I've worked with ReachLocal for 7+ years and I can honestly say that right now has been my absolute favorite time here! So much training on how to better serve our clients to ensure they are not only getting great results but a great client experience. ReachLocal is so innovative and always thinking ahead. Everyone that I am around are extremely talented and so much fun to be around. It is because of the people I work with and for on a day to day basis that I love coming to work and want to put 110% into what I do every day!

Cons

Communication- hard to determine who to reach out to for certain things.
    Competition- You have to be willing to work hard and stay on top of this industry because there is a lot of competition that is after our business.

Other then that most of my cons are being worked on and improved so I really don't have much to put here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing great things! Proud to work under such amazing management! :)

5. "National Sales"

Current Employee - Business Development in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Life at ReachLocal is fast paced and exciting but flexible for a good work/life balance. Ours teams are always creating innovative solutions for internal use and customers alike. The corporate leaders are in tune with our needs, challenges and opportunities and are invested in our personal and team successes.

Cons

Digital marketing is a highly competitive space in today's market.

6. "Marketing"

I worked at ReachLocal full-time

Pros

People are very nice and helpful

Cons

Commitment to Marketing needs to be serious

Advice to Management

RL Marketing needs to be better then what they provide customers. Corp marketing needs to set the example

Sep 28, 2017

Thanks for your comment. We're constantly working to grow and improve, and we've passed your feedback along to the appropriate departments. Wish you all the best!

7. "Felt like family - but those days are long gone"

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people. It was hard leaving the company as I've made friends for life.

Cons

Management (Middle and Upper). Consider people resources that can be replaced any time. Outsourced to India.

Advice to Management

Was given during exit interviews.

"What a Great Place to Start a Career"

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Services in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager, Services in Plano, TX

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was incredibly lucky to work at ReachLocal as my first job out of college. Everyone at ReachLocal is dedicated to the success of the organization which can be seen in the collaborative environment and the satisfaction among employees. ReachLocal's founders were heavily focused on ensuring employee satisfaction and with transition of the reigns to Sharon Rowland the focus on employee satisfaction continued. ReachLocal's training for services team members is second to none and leaders put heavy emphasis on continuing to support staff development. Through the years, I was given so many different opportunities allowing me to develop skills in not only digital marketing, but operations, project management and training. Working for other media companies, I don't think I would have received these opportunities which made ReachLocal such a lovely place to start my career. Beyond skill growth, I was lucky enough to travel to many countries to support ReachLocal's various projects allowing me to experience how other cultures operate and motivate employees. Everyone at ReachLocal works really hard. Sometimes I worked long hours, but the long hours I put in were appreciated and I was rewarded for my dedication accordingly. I'm forever grateful for the opportunities that were given to me at ReachLocal and thoroughly enjoyed my many years with the company.

Cons

ReachLocal constantly evolves as the industry changes which can be fun for some, but can be chaotic for others. If you don't like change, this is not the place for you. I happened to enjoy the change, however; so it wasn't a con for me. ReachLocal tends to pay a little bit less than they should for some roles (not all), but they have made great strides through the years to compensate employees at market price and I'm sure will continue to do so.

Advice to Management

Continue to support your employees as you do now and make sure to reward them monetarily for their hard work.

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The platform has gotten better and we are now seeing more leads come thru than before. I've been here 4 years and the company is growing so fast since the Gannett Merger.

Cons

Not much room to grow

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing! Everyone has been great to work with

10. "Returning Employee"

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time

Pros

The employee culture is great, the products and services have improved in the last 3 years. Company is on the rise.

Cons

I have no cons so far.