ReachLocal Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ReachLocal CEO Sharon Rowlands
Sharon Rowlands

Pros
  • There is a good work/life balance and lots of activities around the office (in 33 reviews)

• Open work environment encourages team building (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Responsibility to maintain total book of business (in 18 reviews)

• They want experienced sales people to sit in the office all day cold calling from the phone book (in 30 reviews)

1. "Still Love It Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, positive mission of helping local businesses compete and grow, good career opportunities. I have been here over 8 years and it has changed a lot in that time, but I've always loved it and we are in an especially exciting time now. I really love that as large of a company as it is, everyone has a say and can have a lot of impact and influence. Executive leadership is very open and accessible. I've had a couple opportunities to travel and work with teams around the world as well. Hard work pays off here, and you get what you put into it.

Cons

It's a bit of a drive for me, but that has more to do with where I choose to live.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Progressive and Engaging"

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Atmosphere, Fun Environment, Wonderful People

Cons

Fast Paced, Multiple Platforms to Utilize

Advice to Management

Keep Training Material Relevant to Current Products

Feb 10, 2017

Thanks for sharing! We’re happy you’re enjoying your time here.

3. "Marketing Expert"

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time

Pros

The culture, work/life balance is wonderful.

Cons

It is difficult to promote from within. The company does not set up people for management, etc. so they hire externally most of the time. The employees that do have tenure usually don't get "paid to stay" as people who are putting in their notice, or coming back from once leaving, get preferential treatment to other roles that the loyal employees might have been waiting for.

Advice to Management

Please treat your current employees better than the ones that try to leave.

Feb 10, 2017

Thank you for your honest feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know, and we'll make sure your thoughts are shared with the appropriate internal teams. While we do have a healthy ... More

5. "Awesome Company Across the Board"

Current Employee - Regional Operations Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Operations Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment.
    Amazing people.
    High quality services.
    I feel like I make a difference.

Cons

Pay is not the best.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I feel so welcomed here.

6. "Very good"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly team, cutting edge technologies used.

Cons

Its little far for me, but nvm i am enjoying it.

Feb 17, 2017

Thanks for sharing!

7. "Not What is Used to Be"

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time

Pros

Employees originally came to work for ReachLocal for the fun atmosphere and laid back environment.

Cons

The fun atmosphere has been replaced with a a much larger workload, strict deadlines, limitless reporting and spreadsheets to manage and update daily. We are constantly being reminded that what we are doing in not enough. It seems that they do not even trust that we are doing our work as everything has to be logged and/or recorded. While trying to juggle over 150 campaigns and updating data on countless outdated platforms, it is impossible to keep your head above water.
    The sales team at ReachLocal runs the show and gets away with running all over the 'Marketing Experts,' and we are treated like their slaves. It is like reporting to 5-7 different managers, daily. We are also treated like hourly employees and not given the recognition or pay that would make all of the forementioned cons even worth it.

Advice to Management

Please stop praising sales and rewarding the same people every year with extravagant trips while neglecting the rest of the company. I can attest that most employees here are hard-workers and is not shown their worth. The tenured and most experienced employees are leaving at a rapid pace like a revolving door and the company does not seem to even realize what they are losing.

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a good work/life balance and lots of activities around the office. Management cares about you and trusts you to get your work done. Overall it's a good place to work.

Cons

There is a bit of a lack of organization when it comes to training. Some of the tools we use are outdated and should be updated.

Jan 30, 2017 – Sr.VP, Global Services

Thank you for this feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy being a part of ReachLocal. We will take a deeper look at your concerns regarding organizing our training activities and tools.

"Mediocre at best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity to get used to running campaigns, build your resume with regard to account management and digital marketing ends. But be very clear about what you're going for: If you're aiming for experience in X but your duties are Y and Z, you're not going to get a whiff of X. But if your aims are getting Google certified, and basic experience, this will do. Just be aware that you should aim to move up or out in 12-18 months. I saw precious few move up within the company.

Cons

I've been gone several months and I've held off writing this review because the cons are so vast. The benefits have dwindled and gotten much more expensive with fewer and poorer options. Look around on reviews for this. This is documented on here. I was there 18 months and the creature comforts rapidly shrank--office space, coffee setup, lunches and little moral stuff companies do was largely done very obviously on the cheap, DIY. Hardly inspiring faith that your company is successful. Especially when the office space shrinks by over 50%. Pay-wise, don't expect raises, and even if you manage to snag a promotion, they've got a rule that you're not getting more than 10%, so be mindful that the sexy new job you might've snagged isn't going to be an income game changer. This may have changed with Gannett's acquisition, but since what I hear is that they parcel you out even more than RL did, I wonder if they didn't keep this little practice.

But the biggest problem by far and away is that they allow the sales field to run rough shod over service. This is up to and including an MC with his own branded site that basically white labels RL. And, to make it more comical, the site is a RL Edge site he's got up there!
    With the exception of a few DMCs, and even fewer IMCs, they will give you and your managers no respect. Why should they? They've been babied and paid phat for years. They're usually not well-versed in the products they sell and only half-educate the clients on what to expect from what they sell. They have no interest in continuing to manage their accounts, mind changes in client needs, continually manage client expectations, etc. When you put those things in the hands of analysts, rather than sales-minded people, the continual reselling of the product doesn't get done. It's not rocket science. But the organization refuses to hold them accountable to even having civil emails and phone calls. Instead, they will second and third guess you to the point that most of your time will be spent defending your actions and taking screenshots of all your activities and communications--which they have access to in Salesforce and because they're cc'd on everything--instead of managing the actual campaigns. Most my last months were spent writing these emails to MCs explaining and demonstrating why they were categorically wrong and then having to turn them over to my boss to tone down because we had to continue to be polite to sales people who treated us like garbage. This sorta thing happens nationwide, but those of your RL alums reading this know that I'm taking mainly about the Baltimore and Philadelphia sales office and a few other frequent flyers who cause enormous problems to the point of disrupting the service delivered to other MCs' clients.

Finally, the company by trying to have done everything so cheaply for so long is tremendously inefficient. Tools are outdated. Oftentimes, I found myself using freeware or buying my own subscriptions to things because the company just wouldn't. On a related note, I once heard a manager say that they didn't want to switch from a notoriously bad and problematic social media platform to an industry leading one because "I don't want to have to change." That sorta attitude in management is why I left.

Not all are bad. My direct manager was great. But, the whole of the body had too much of this cancer.

Advice to Management

Not sure what they can do. The big problems would've already been addressed if they had the means and cajones to do it--e.g., holding sales guys accountable for doing things according to RL policy rather than the individual sales person's whims and preferences. The latter makes the company slaves to its own employees. The clients should be RL clients. Not clients of the salesperson. I mean, getting a publicly traded company to a place where it was acquired is viewed as a success. That's pretty much admitting defeat.

"Best Digital Marketing Agency in Dallas"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Plano office is a great place to work. Open work environment encourages team building. Strong work/life balance. You own you work relationships and the more you put into them, the more ReachLocal rewards you. Large global organization with lot's of opportunities in the digital marketing field.

Cons

If you are not passionate about digital marketing, you could get burned out quickly here.

Advice to Management

Improve training opportunities beyond online courses and emails. This will continue to keep ReachLocal best in class.

Jan 17, 2017 – Sr.VP, Global Services

We really appreciate your feedback. Glad you are enjoying working here. We are planning to do more in person training activities in 2017.

"Good Times"

Former Employee - Interim Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Interim Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Founding members of the company (pre-IPO) had an amazing vision for the company and the environment thrived from the top down. A lot of support and the ability to run your book as an entrepreneur - Your environment was what you made it

Cons

There were none during my tenure.

Jan 31, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience!