ReachLocal Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
ReachLocal CEO Sharon Rowlands
Sharon Rowlands

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The organisation has helped me achieved the right work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Open work environment encourages team building (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Responsibility to maintain total book of business (in 18 reviews)

• Senior management were bullies, the only focus was on sales people within the business (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Utterly Awesome!"

Current Employee - Marketing Expert in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Marketing Expert in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything from environment, co-workers, company culture, and extremely supportive management!

Cons

Absolutely 0, nothing to complain about what so ever.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome!

ReachLocal Response

May 1, 2017 – Sr.VP, Global Services

We are so glad you enjoy working with the team here at ReachLocal

"A position you cannot be proud of and one bad month will get you fired at Reach Local"

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

unlimited income, growing idustry, independence.

Cons

80% of sales dept is fired for lack of performance within 10 months of hire. There were 42 people in my training class and just 2 are still with the company 2 years later. there are 20 sales agents in my office and 1 person is fired and replaced a month.
    management is not support of employees if they are not making their quotas
    very unprofessional
    dont always do what is best for their clients
    80% of clients cancel their contract or do not renew

Advice to Management

you need to do what best for clients
    you should have more support for sales agents. Dont have sales agents making cold calls. Its a waste of time and money, unprofessional. Be honestduring interview process. Turnover is high client retention is low.
    management needs to support staff or assist in sales.

"Make sure your manager is happy with RL and not on the way out..."

Former Employee - IMC in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - IMC in Plano, TX

Pros

used to be fun place to work with a lot of upbeat characters and an overall positive atmosphere where people could make money and have a good time

Cons

New management is ruining company...micromanagement and personality cults are the rule of the day where hard work and success are no longer the key to success but sucking up to people is how you get ahead

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees

"A terrible place to work and a destroyer of talent and creativity"

Former Employee - IMC - Internet Marketing Consultant
    Former Employee - IMC - Internet Marketing Consultant

Pros

You get a paycheck and they have decent benefits if you're willing to pay for them.

Cons

I worked for the company for almost a year and half and discovered a myriad of disturbing truths that the company works hard to hide. First, you will never make the kind of money that the recruiters claim you will make. I left when the organization had around 500 sales reps and less than 10 were making the money being claimed - that's 2% of the workforce! Most reps I knew, and I knew many from around the country, were on track to make between $55K and $65K a year TOPS! Micromanagement is the order of the day - mandatory cold-calling days, mandatory numbers of appointments completed, mandatory numbers of Salesforce activities logged, mandatory number of phone calls, mandatory number of minutes spent on the phone, mandatory number of appointments set, etc... purely ridiculous expectations that lead to sales people focusing on obtaining meaningless numbers instead of commissionable results. People are always on Performance Improvement Plans and your job security is constantly threatened. Turnover is astronomical - if you are not fired, you will quickly look for your own exit strategy. Client renewal rate is much closer to 20% - NOT the 60% to 70% they claim. Local management consists of a bunch of stuffed-shirt corporate mouth-pieces with little or no experience in SEM sales. Their "Unlimited vacation policy" is synonomous with "NO" vacations" - you are only permitted to take vacation if you are achieving above quota - and as I already stated, that was less than 10 people out of over 500 as quotas are virtually unobtainable!! Managment is NOT responsive to legitimate customer complaints leaving you out in the cold to resolve the problem, thus trashing your reputation. And much, much more! Lest you think I am simply a failure bashing a former employer, allow me elaborate. I was not fired, I resigned of my own accord. I had been a 7 figure sales rep earning well into 6 figures when I was recruited and bought into the lie. I left several months ago and am, once again, closing 7 figure business and earning 6 figures! Do not believe the lie!

Advice to Management

Start being honest with your employees and treating them like a valuable resource instead of cattle! If you are going to pay peanuts and promise gold, do not be suprised when turnover exceeds 100% - most of us are not stupid and see the truth in time. Start recruiting people with appropriate skill sets - like copier sales people, used car sales people and Kirby sales people! If you are going to hire seasoned professionals - trust us to get the job done without all of the ridiculous restrictions and micromanagement!

5. "Don't be fooled by those who don't make the cut. They're just not in it to win it."

Pros

This is company with a great culture that is always advancing and changing. The ability still to move up in the company or to make a lot of money if that's what you're looking for. I've read some of the reviews below and they are just not true as I've seen and talked to dozens of people that are making way more than the figures listed below. I also know first hand that the churn rates are not that bad unless you never go out to see your advertisers.

Cons

I would say just like other companies this is not a mature market so there are a lot of things that are not in my control.

Advice to Management

Let's keep pushing forward and making sure that we keep the same type of culture that we've had since opening up all of the offices.

6. "Best company I've ever worked for, period."

Current Employee - Social Media Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Social Media Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

I've been working at ReachLocal for a little over a year, and in that time I've seen quite a few changes - all for the better. The company is expanding in every way: offices, employees, vision, scope, ambitions, products, customer service - and this is *during* a serious recession! The best reasons to work at ReachLocal, based on my experience:

* Good work gets recognized and rewarded by decision-makers and higher-ups.
    * Your ideas matter and are heard at every level.
    * The products & services we offer *actually work* and make a lasting, positive impact with clients - which makes the ethically-questionable field of advertising much more bearable to those with a hypersensitive moral compass (like myself). This is a really big deal to me, especially since I've worked for companies whose bottom line was entirely dependent on the sleazy billing practices intentionally obscured in the fine print.
    * Atmosphere and culture is fun, upbeat, fast-paced, geek-chic but always hyper-professional when it comes to the work we do.
    * Incredibly diverse office where people of varied cultural, religious, economic and even hobbies & interests backgrounds don't just work together, but get along well.
    * ReachLocal cares so much about employees that all new hires, regardless of position or department, go through a week-long "boot camp" program so everyone can be fully knowledgeable about the company, the industry, our current offerings and future developments (instead of flailing around uselessly for a month until you figure it out yourself). I haven't seen that kind of people investment with any previous employers, period.

Cons

* There's still a "startup" feel where the pace can get a little hectic or frantic, but on the other hand the company's grown so much that some projects have to go through multiple departments across many offices (sometimes internationally) and the pace slows down considerably.
    * The heavy Type A personality vibe company-wide can be a wee bit intimidating.

Advice to Management

We'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar! Our success may tick off a lot of people (especially the industries we disrupt, companies we displace and the rare employee who isn't a good fit) but we've got more than enough going for us based on who we are, what we do, and where we're going. Let's keep those points in our focus at all times!

7. "I sought out ReachLocal, and I am VERY thankful that I did!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX

Pros

I have been at ReachLocal for just under two years. I started as an iMC and worked my way up to my current position of Regional Sales Manager. Prior to RL, I owned my own successful SEO company so I was very familiar with the space in which we work here. Making the move to ReachLocal was one of the easiest AND most difficult moves that I have ever made. It was the most difficult because after having owned my own business for over 10 years, I was terrified to make a move to a corporate structure. My fear disappeared after my first month. It was the easiest because of what ReachLocal had accomplished within the local search space up to that point. I did quite a bit of research on the company before first approaching them. I didn't come to work here because I wanted or needed a job. In fact, I didn't need a job and wasn't looking for a job. I came to work here because it was my opportunity to be a part of a truly innovative organization within one of the fastest growing industries today.

What I enjoy most about ReachLocal:

1. When I walk into a prospects place of business, I truly represent their best option.
    2. Management support is beyond what I have experienced in the past, and beyond what I was hoping for. Even as an iMC, I could pick up the phone and call one of the founders with any questions or concerns.
    3. The ReachLocal technology is second to none. It is comforting to know that if I do my job properly, the client is going to get what they paid for, and more.
    4. The management team that I report to is not only receptive to new ideas (other ways of looking at things), but actively seek out new ideas.
    5. Training for new employees is extensive and on-going. This is not a company that throws you to the wolves and expects you to fight your way out to survive.
    6. While we have grown to be a very large player in our space, there is still very much a family feel here. I know that I care about my employees quality of life and I know that the team that I report to feels the same way about my quality of life.
    7. This is a company that takes the high road, CONSISTENTLY. We would rather walk away from a prospect than take their money for something that is not going to work.
    8. This is a company that looks internally FIRST to fill any management positions. There is a lot of room to grow here.
    9. We can pivot and move quickly as the industry develops. CRITICAL in my decision to come here.

Cons

I have been here under 2 years and am having a hard time coming up with a "con". If I had to select one, it would not be a con exclusive to ReachLocal, but rather a con for any real sales position. While I strongly believe that we offer the local business the BEST SOLUTION, and while we approach every client relationship with a consultative approach, this still is a sales job at its core. It is not for the faint of heart, but there isn't a sales job out there with this income potential that is for the faint of heart.

Advice to Management

As we grow, PLEASE do not slow the train down. I love that we can react and adapt quickly to changes in the marketplace and I want that to continue. To date, changes and adaptations have happened quick, but also intelligently. My hope is that we do not get to the point where changes take so long to implement that we miss the mark.

8. "I have been working for ReachLocal for just over 2.5 years and my time here has been an incredible experience."

Current Employee - International Client Service Specialist in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - International Client Service Specialist in Plano, TX

Pros

I have had the opportunity to watch this company grow at an incredible pace from just the 5 offices that were opened when I started. I have also been given the opportunity to help grow and manage a group of client service consultants that started as a very undefined role and has now become an essential team member in each office. Some of the biggest reason I recommend ReachLocal:

*The ability to grow and take ownership of your work here.
    *The ability to learn and gain knowledge about the industry from industry leaders within the company. Personally, I have been given the opportunity to go from the ground floor of the client service organization to being able to help manage the group and work abroad within only 2 years.
    *Your ideas are truly taken into consideration as positives for the company as a whole.
    *Good work is truly appreciated and recognized.
    *The office/company culture is one that is unlike any other I have had. The offices are upbeat, fun and the employees genuinely enjoy working together. Itâ??s very easy to feed off the positive energy and successes of others.
    *ReachLocal puts everything into its people. The training you receive from day one is second to none. Boot camp is an experience that truly puts you in the best possible situation to get started with success from day one. Beyond boot camp, the ongoing training virtually and from within the local office is constant. There is never a reason why you should not be able to gain knowledge or be kept up to date on important, need to know information.
    *The opportunity to travel and work among several different groups in the company.
    *I have worked with some truly great people who I consider not co-workers, but true friends. That is another huge reason I enjoy coming to work every day.

Cons

*It is still a sales organization which means there are still a group of â??sales personalitiesâ? that you have to be able to work with.
    *Because we are still a growing organization, some things that may seem like quick action items may take a little longer than expected.

Advice to Management

Continue to look from within to help build the organization. There are some great people who truly love this company & have helped make their local offices and the organization what it is today but they just arenâ??t aware of the additional opportunities that come up, that many of them would love to be considered for.

9. "An Incredible foward thinking company that is continually growing and helping local businesses with internet marketing"

Current Employee - Senior Internet Marketing Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Internet Marketing Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

I have worked at ReachLocal for over 3 years and started here when the company was just in the beginning stages of growth. I have seen the unbelievable vision this company has had since we had our first office in NY. The last 3 years I have seen the expansion of ReachLocal with offices all over the country and overseas. I was lucky enough to help launch the UK office. ReachLocal increased development in the local ad space has grown from search marketing to many products that have never been available to the local business owner. Through my experience I would continue to work at ReachLocal because:

* The increased support and training that starts from the day your hired. There is continuous training and marketing materials that helps you grow as a local internet consultant. ReachLocal is always providing ways to keep us up to date on new products and ways to sell search marketing..
    * The products we offer really make an impact on the local business and are changing the way they do business. We track calls and conversions that have never been tracked by the local business owner before and our search product is the best out there. Many of my clients have worked with other SEM companies and have never seen the results that we have been able to provide and give them the ability to really see what a true ROI is. I have worked for many companies that push a product that doesnâ??t work. ReachLocal does!!.
    * The ReachLocal culture at all levels is a fun, growing, fast paced professional atmosphere that gives you an entrepreneurial feel allowing you to do what you want to achieve the highest success but also very structured.
    * ReachLocal shows that they pay attention to each of the employees by providing an amazing commission structure to keep growing and keep making more money. They give health benefits, 401k many sales perks for contests that are going on every month. They also provide unlimited vacations for the internet marketing consultants with also the choice to work where you want, when you want.

Cons

ReachLocal is growing very fast with amazing products. It can be somewhat overwhelming at times with so many new products and keeping up with this ever changing market. There needs to be a lot more tutorials and information on this market with the competitors and the products that other companies are offering against ReachLocal.
    * The growth of the company can be hard for new internet marketing consultants who are not given enough time when new hires start with the company and not given the time they need which can mean some people do not get all the attention they need.

Advice to Management

* Keep improving the trainging for the IMCâ??s with new tools and marketing materials to stay on top of this ever growing space and what our competitors are doing.
    * Lets keep growing this company and finding the best talent out there for all the areas we are getting into including social and mobile which are the next areas we need to grow our company . We need to also find the right people that will continue help build this organization in every department with experience in inside/outside sales and management.

10. "Great Company. Great Experience."

Current Employee - Manager, Campaign Perfromance
    Current Employee - Manager, Campaign Perfromance

Pros

I have been lucky enough to watch ReachLocal grow from a fledgling technology organization into an international company with over 800 employees. Though there have been inevitable growing pains, the amount of ground we have covered in such a short time never ceases to amaze me. It is rewarding to work in an environment where new ideas are encouraged and taken seriously at all levels of the company.

The following are benefits Iâ??ve found at ReachLocal:
    â?¢ Fast paced environment with opportunities for rapid promotion
    â?¢ Working with the â??best and brightestâ?? in the industry - there is always something new to learn
    â?¢ A deluge of new products and projects which require constant attention - never time to get bored
    â?¢ Great managers who are open, willing to listen and teach
    â?¢ A fun corporate culture which emphasizes both professionalism and camaraderie

Cons

Work can feel unorganized at times, due to the nature of the industry. Some processes are not streamlined yet, so decisions are sometimes slow.

Advice to Management

Keep the current culture alive and well as ReachLocal grows. Continue to focus on new products and further avenues to help our clients compete in a marketplace that is quickly becoming overcrowded.